2022 Skate America

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
It's in Norwood, MA!

2022 Skate America, which will serve as the first stop on the ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Series, will take place at the Skating Club of Boston in Norwood, Massachusetts, October 21-23, 2022. Opened in the Fall of 2020, the Skating Club of Boston's new facility is a state-of-the-art, three-rink training facility and performance center. The Tenley E. Albright Performance Center is the centerpiece of the Club's new facility, and boasts an Olympic-sized arena which will seat just over 2,000 spectators at 2022's first Grand Prix Series competition.

The 2022 U.S. International Figure Skating Classic, which will be part of the ISU Challenger Series in 2022, will take place at the 1980 Rink-Herb Brooks Arena in Lake Placid, New York, Sept. 12-16, 2022. The United States has hosted the international competition nine times, with it being classified as a Challenger Series event 2014-2019. The U.S. Challenge Skate, which features the top junior and novice skaters from around the United States, will run parallel to the U.S. International Classic.

Tickets for 2022 Skate America will go on sale to the public on Friday, May 6 at 2022skateamerica.com.

Debbie S

Here's the full announcement: https://usfigureskatingfanzone.com/...skate-america-headed-to-norwood-massachusetts

Also confirms Sept 12-16 as the dates for the U.S. Classic/Challenge Skate in Lake Placid.

USFS seems to not want fans at either event. I love Boston and plan to go, but why put an int'l comp in what is essentially a club comp venue, with limited seating and not accessible by T or within walking distance of any hotels?

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Here's the full announcement: https://usfigureskatingfanzone.com/...skate-america-headed-to-norwood-massachusetts

Also confirms Sept 12-16 as the dates for the U.S. Classic/Challenge Skate in Lake Placid.

USFS seems to not want fans at either event. I love Boston and plan to go, but why put an int'l comp in what is essentially a club comp venue, with limited seating and not accessible by T or within walking distance of any hotels?
I suppose the question is, how many tickets did they sell for Skate America when it was in Las Vegas or many other cities? It's hard to find a venue that hits the sweet spot for the number of fans, etc, is easily accessible by public transportation or next to a hotel... that's a unicorn that I'm afraid doesn't exist.

Lanie

the uberdom chooses YOU
I’m surprised considering all the stuff I heard about Vegas!

Guess I’ll be going anyway. Wonder how to get from Boston to Norwood. Rent a car?

Debbie S

I suppose the question is, how many tickets did they sell for Skate America when it was in Las Vegas or many other cities? It's hard to find a venue that hits the sweet spot for the number of fans, etc, is easily accessible by public transportation or next to a hotel... that's a unicorn that I'm afraid doesn't exist.
I don't know what the "sweet spot" is in terms of number of fans but there are arenas that are accessible via transit and/or near hotels. If we're talking about Boston, they could have used the arena at BU, which is smaller than the Garden but near a T stop. And plenty of examples in other cities, some of which have hosted SA in the past.

I assume USFS wants to go cheap to try to make up for pandemic losses so the location doesn't surprise me, but it's not ideal for attracting fans from out of town. I can understand that approach for a Challenger/Senior B but for a GP, it seems odd.

once_upon

Better off than 2020
Crap. $750-1000 airfare, car rental and i dont drive so + husband airfare), hotel stay x 4 maybe nights (because of flight accessibility) = too damn costly.

Where is Skate Canada?

Or events in Europe

Debbie S

Hotels are unfortunately very expensive (for a suburb not quite inner ring) but at least my flight will be relatively cheap...using my SW voucher from my canceled flight to Nats. I could drive but 7 hours seems too long for just a few days, esp since there is a direct 1-hour flight.

once_upon

Better off than 2020
Skate Canada hasn’t been announced yet but rumors were it would be near SkAm.
But my biggest thing would be airline ticket costs, and if DH and I could incorporate a nice vacation of interest to each of us.

Maybe Europe would be better :) 😀

Debbie S

I was the one that posted this, and Skate America didn't turn out to be where I originally heard it might be (I wasn't told a city, just a general area). I also heard this rumour at least 5-6 months ago, so it's possible that things didn't pan out as planned.
Where did you hear? :) Maybe that will be next year's location. ;)

sk9tingfan

I’m surprised considering all the stuff I heard about Vegas!

Guess I’ll be going anyway. Wonder how to get from Boston to Norwood. Rent a car?
Yes. I-90 (Mass Pike) to I-128; a very easy trip once you get away from the airport/downtown Boston, assuming you are not driving in rush hour traffic.

BTW, a car will be necessary to get anywhere near food. There's nothing around the arena.

My advice would also include reserving a hotel room near the arena now as there aren't very many options, especially reasonable ones. I reserved mine already.

Last edited:

BittyBug

Disgusted
How far is Norwood from Somerville?
It's not far as the crow flies, but the traffic around Somerville can be brutal and the trip could easily take an hour or more depending on the time of day.

For everyone:

Look into flying into Providence instead of Boston (TF Green is a very easy airport)
If you're coming from the Northeast corridor, you can take Amtrak to 128 Station or Providence if you want to rent a car there
Since you will need a car, look for hotels in the burbs or Rhode Island, which will be cheaper

sk9tingfan

It's not far as the crow flies, but the traffic around Somerville can be brutal and the trip could easily take an hour or more depending on the time of day.

For everyone:

Look into flying into Providence instead of Boston (TF Green is a very easy airport)
If you're coming from the Northeast corridor, you can take Amtrak to 128 Station or Providence if you want to rent a car there
Since you will need a car, look for hotels in the burbs or Rhode Island, which will be cheaper
ITA!

Lara

Bonjour/Hi to everyone at Worlds!
Yes…..my guess now is Laval (Montreal.) :shuffle:

Fingers crossed!!! :) Seriously it’s not hard to get to from the city.

But if it doesn’t turn out, I did kinda want a fall trip somewhere in the US northeast…maybe Airbnb would be more affordable in the area?

ETA - the car requirement is a serious bummer though. I want to practice driving again this summer but doubt I’m up to a strange location.

livetoskate

Is there Uber or Lyft around Norwood? I'd like to go, but wouldn't want to rent a car and drive around unfamiliar roads. TD Arena for Worlds in Boston was so convenient; I walked from my hotel there.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
2019 SkAm in Vegas had a pretty full arena. And the skaters did talk about how great the crowds were.

Them putting it in an arena with only 2000 seats does speak to my belief that having fans at this event is not a big moneymaker for them.

I know they can't have it in Vegas every year but that was the perfect location for me. Wonder if there is a similar location closer to the east coast that would have similar attendance and positives. (Close to everything, cheap-ish flights & hotels, cozy arena, lots to do for non-skating fans who might accompany the skating fans.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information