2022 Olympic FS Team Event delayed medal ceremony - updates

Sylvia

TBD
Creating a new thread for this topic that looks likely to drag on for some time :shuffle::
Is there any update on the Valieva doping investigation and the team event medals?
May 19, 2022 via TASS: https://tass.ru/sport/14675903
"The investigation into the case is still ongoing, that's all I can say right now," [WADA's] Niggli said. "The case is not easy, it is now at the national level - it is handled by RUSADA. We are awaiting a verdict to evaluate it and decide whether it will comply with the code WADA and whether it should be challenged. The matter is in our field of vision, and we are waiting for the outcome of the work of the Russian side."
As TASS previously reported, WADA expects the Russian Anti-Doping Agency to complete the investigation into the anti-doping rule violation by Valieva by August 8.
Background info for reference...

Copying out the text of the CAS Ad hoc Division ruling from 19 February 2022:

OLYMPIC WINTER GAMES BEIJING 2022 (10)
THE CAS AD HOC DIVISION DISMISSES AN APPLICATION FILED BY NINE INDIVIDUAL SKATERS FROM THE UNITED STATES SEEKING A RULING THAT THE IOC BE ORDERED TO HOLD A MEDAL CEREMONY FOR THE FIGURE SKATING TEAM EVENT

Beijing, 19 February 2022 – The Ad hoc Division of the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) ruled earlier today on an application filed by the US figure skaters Evan Bates, Karen Chen, Nathan Chen, Madison Chock, Zachary Donohue, Brandon Frazier, Madison Hubbell, Alexa Knierim and Vincent Zhou against the International Olympic Committee (IOC). The USOPC was not a party to the CAS proceedings.

The athletes were seeking a ruling from the CAS Ad Hoc Division that the IOC be ordered to present to them the silver medals earned in the Figure Skating Team Event in a public medal ceremony to be held prior to the close of the XXIV Winter Olympic Games Beijing 2022.

The Panel of arbitrators composed of Mr Lars Hilliger, President, (Denmark), Mr Alain Zahlan de Cayetti (France) and Mr Xianyue Bai (P.R. China), held a hearing by video-conference today from 7pm to 9:30pm (Beijing time). Following the conclusion of the hearing the Panel deliberated and decided to dismiss the Application. Consequently, the decision of the IOC Executive Board of 14 February 2022 not to hold the medal ceremony for the figure skating team event during the Olympic Winter Games Beijing 2022 stands. The reasoned Arbitral Award will be published in the next days.

Link to read the decision that was published on CAS' website on 30 March 2022 (15 pages): https://www.tas-cas.org/fileadmin/user_upload/Award_22_11__publication_.pdf

Reuters article today (May 20):
The International Olympic Committee has told anti-doping bodies it wants a quick resolution of a drugs scandal involving teenage Russian figure skater Kamila Valieva at the Beijing 2022 Olympics so that a delayed medals ceremony can proceed.
"We are in contact on this. The World Anti-Doping Agency and the International Testing Agency are following up on this," IOC President Thomas Bach told a news conference on Friday.
"This is not something we should be guessing but work in a way so that it (medals ceremony) happens as soon as possible."
The case is currently in the hands of the Russian Anti-Doping Agency (RUSADA) as the positive test came during a domestic competition.
"This is in the hands of anti-doping authorities. We have made it clear to them we are hoping for a fast and quick resolution of the issue," Bach said. "Once it is resolved we will have this ceremony."
It was Christine Brennan who asked Thomas Bach the question in the IOC's press conference in Lausanne earlier today (starting at this point): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbBeEo12Y2M&t=1590s

Last edited:

Debbie S

If the IOC wants a quick resolution, then I guess we can assume they will accept the RUSADA ruling, which presumably will be either a short suspension that wouldn't affect the Olys or no punishment at all, with no appeal by WADA. If they're not actually going to seek justice and enforcement of anti-doping rules, then just give the skaters their medals already. :rolleyes:

To suggest that any "investigation" or opinion by RUSADA is legitimate is an insult to people's intelligence.

VGThuy

I rather have the investigation done right than “quick”. Ideally, it would be both, but Bach’s wording makes it sound like he just wants it over it and doesn’t care how. Or maybe he does care how but not in the way he should, especially given his history.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
I don't think Bach is saying that he wants the issue to "just go away" when he says he wants it resolved as quickly as possible. He is aware that there are athletes still waiting to receive their medals. There's nothing the IOC, WADA or anyone else can do until RUSADA turns in its report, and we all know they'll drag their feet on this until the last possible minute, but that doesn't mean that he wouldn't like to see them move faster with their part of the investigation and whatever slap on the wrist they plan on giving Valieva. The sooner we get to that point, the sooner WADA and other parties can appeal to CAS and get the whole issue resolved. That doesn't mean the IOC wants to give Russia that gold medal.

VGThuy

I don't think Bach is saying that he wants the issue to "just go away" when he says he wants it resolved as quickly as possible. He is aware that there are athletes still waiting to receive their medals. There's nothing the IOC, WADA or anyone else can do until RUSADA turns in its report, and we all know they'll drag their feet on this until the last possible minute, but that doesn't mean that he wouldn't like to see them move faster with their part of the investigation and whatever slap on the wrist they plan on giving Valieva. The sooner we get to that point, the sooner WADA and other parties can appeal to CAS and get the whole issue resolved. That doesn't mean the IOC wants to give Russia that gold medal.
I hope you’re right. It’s too easy for some us to be jaded and cynical and it’s be nice to have a welcome surprise and have our expectations exceeded.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
According to us, they can't win: they pushed through the double-gold and ended the investigation in SLC in a nano-second, and everyone hated it. After the kick in the head they (and WADA and the ISU) got from the onsite CAS mini-committee, they're trying to address this procedurally, ie, next steps based on the RUSADA decision (not expected until August) unless postponed, which seemed to be their intention from the start. But that's not fast enough.

What decision on a "now" timeline are you looking for that might not be overturned by CAS, causing even more disruption?

Colonel Green

Over 3 months since the competition and no medals. Ridiculous.

The IOC is a total joke. Russia's influence is still all too obvious.
It has nothing to do with Russia's influence. There are procedures that have to be followed in all of these cases, and they take time. It took a year for the British 4x100 men's relay team to be formally disqualified after Tokyo, and that positive case came back almost right away.

Bouffantrex

Banned Member
It has nothing to do with Russia's influence. There are procedures that have to be followed in all of these cases, and they take time. It took a year for the British 4x100 men's relay team to be formally disqualified after Tokyo, and that positive case came back almost right away.
I don't care about "procedure" at this point. It's been 3+ months. Figure it out. Valieva clearly doped, and Russia should have a team bronze at best. Let's move on and award medals.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
I would rather see them take the time to get it right, make the outcome as airtight as possible, than to rush through the investigation and give the Russians a dozen openings to bog it down in appeals for years.

That is easy for me to say, I suppose, it is not my medal.

Orm Irian

I don't care about "procedure" at this point. It's been 3+ months. Figure it out. Valieva clearly doped, and Russia should have a team bronze at best. Let's move on and award medals.
Even if one chooses to set aside Valieva's right to due process, the IOC can't afford to establish a bad precedent that might cause them problems down the line with future cases.

Debbie S

According to us, they can't win: they pushed through the double-gold and ended the investigation in SLC in a nano-second, and everyone hated it. After the kick in the head they (and WADA and the ISU) got from the onsite CAS mini-committee, they're trying to address this procedurally, ie, next steps based on the RUSADA decision (not expected until August) unless postponed, which seemed to be their intention from the start. But that's not fast enough.

What decision on a "now" timeline are you looking for that might not be overturned by CAS, causing even more disruption?
Bach is the one calling for a quick resolution so they can hand out the medals. It doesn't sound like he's interested in next steps or looking to take the case to CAS, regardless of RUSADA's ruling. And does anyone think RUSADA would do anything that would jeopardize the team gold? RUSADA can't be compared to Great Britain, the U.S., or any other country that actually obeys anti-doping rules.

The case could still end up in CAS but it would likely be USADA/USOC, on behalf of USFS, not WADA, that would make the appeal.

On My Own

This is what I don't get either. Let's award the US and Japan their medals, they're clearly gold and silver. We only need to see if Russia is bronze or not. Canada can wait because they didn't win anything originally anyway, so even if it turns out they got nothing, it's fine.

soogar

This is what I don't get either. Let's award the US and Japan their medals, they're clearly gold and silver. We only need to see if Russia is bronze or not. Canada can wait because they didn't win anything originally anyway, so even if it turns out they got nothing, it's fine.
Actually how can they rule when they haven't even reached a finding in Valieva's case. Valieva had passed 2 drug tests including one in Beijing when she was surprised by this delayed result from a December sample. Then, with only a few hours to prepare, she had to answer questions on how the substance "could have" gotten into her system which lead to the Grandpa water theory. There was no second test performed of the sample to even determine if it was a correct result. Plus the test was late and she had already passed tests for both Euros and in Beijing. There was hardly any investigation at the Olympics either or formal determination of doping. She hardly received any due process at the games, and being publicly outed due to her "protected minor status" affected the outcome of the ladies event as well. They did not protect her confidentiality at all. They have to follow procedure and make a formal finding on Valieva before they can change the standings. Her guilt is not a "certain" thing.

Trillian

Valieva had passed 2 drug tests including one in Beijing when she was surprised by this delayed result from a December sample.

If you want to keep being an apologist for legit monsters who are drugging children to make a profit, that’s your deal, but this particular argument is completely irrelevant. She could pass a drug test every other day of her life and it’s not going to change the fact that she didn’t pass the one in December. The rule isn’t that you’re only allowed to get caught doping 33% or less of the time. You’re not supposed to do it at all.

soogar

That is correct. She failed a drug test and was allowed to compete anyway. They most certainly failed to follow procedures.
She failed a drug test from a sample taken in December. Usually athletes are suspended with a positive test but since the test was in end of December and the competition was in February. she could have been suspended an cleared to compete. She still is entitled to another test of the B sample which hasn't happened yet.

I don't need to believe anything, it's what she is entitled to.

Sylvia

TBD
FWIW, I started THIS thread for future updates about the team event medals. Here's the original thread if people would like to continue rehashing things that have already happened (eta) and been discussed over & over in 1300+ posts:

Last edited:

LeafOnTheWind

She still is entitled to another test of the B sample which hasn't happened yet.

I don't need to believe anything, it's what she is entitled to.
The point you are missing is that she shouldn't be competing at all until due process is completed. None of the other athletes get to continue competing. They are automatically presumed guilty, suspended from competition, then plead their case.

VGThuy

I'm just convinced that those who are "protected minors" have no place in competing at senior-level international competitions with the stringent doping regulations that the athlete/adult should be ultimately responsible for and face the consequences of not following. Not that I have no sympathy for adult-aged athletes who may end up falling on the sword of convoluted and draconian rules and procedures and who may come from systems where they're actually given little agency in what they consume into their own bodies, but as it exists now, there are two classes of athletes who are subject to separate treatment, procedures, and consequences for the same actions, and that's not right.

soogar

The point you are missing is that she shouldn't be competing at all until due process is completed. None of the other athletes get to continue competing. They are automatically presumed guilty, suspended from competition, then plead their case.
The circumstances were that this test was taken in December and she had not received the results until the Olympics. She had competed in Euros and passed a drug test, and she was already in Beijing and participated in the Team competition and passed a drug test there as well. She was already competing and had taken and passed drug tests. The test wasn't handled in a timely fashion and this was not the normal situation.

I'm not going to argue it anymore, there is a protocol and they are following it. That's the whole point of having a protocol and they are not going to decide anything until there is a finding in her case. If the IOC would have just had the medal ceremony, everyone would have had their medals. Instead, in an unprecedented move, they decide not to award any team medals and to make a point of singling her out for exclusion of a floral/medal ceremony if she were to make the podium in the ladies. Not only do they ostracize her publicly, but further make her the scapegoat for the two other possible medalists. All this on a 15 year old who had "so-called protected status" and if she had ingested something, did not do so on her own volition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information