Russian figure skating news & updates in 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

soogar

Don’t know if this has been posted yet, interview with Boikova and Kozlovskii. I‘m glad these athletes sound optimistic about preparations in light of the sanctions.

olympic

The claims of the total UN chorus over Ukraine belies an obvious case of myopia: people only count the countries that count to them. Don't listen to me, listen to the Guardian:

"The US, the UK, Canada, South Korea, Switzerland, Japan, Australia, New Zealand, Taiwan, Singapore, the EU: beyond this fortified coalition, very few nations have chosen to take part in the economic warfare set against the Putin government. On the contrary, many of the world’s largest nations – including China, India, Brazil, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Indonesia and even Nato ally Turkey – have refused to join in. “We will not blindly follow the steps taken by another country,” said Indonesia’s foreign ministry representative at a recent press conference.

Latin America has been equally steadfast in its commitment to neutrality. “We do not consider that [this war] concerns us,” said the Mexican president, Andrés Manuel López Obrador. “We are not going to take any sort of economic reprisal because we want to have good relations with all governments.” Argentina may have voted to condemn Russia’s actions at the UN, but its foreign minister, Santiago Cafiero, was adamant about his country’s non-participation in the new sanctions push: “Argentina does not consider that they are a mechanism to generate peace and harmony, or generate a frank dialogue table that serves to save lives.”

The Latin American position has been echoed in Africa. “For five centuries, we have been pawns in the hands of the warring European states, bent on looting Africa of its human and natural sources,” says Pierre Sané, president of the Imagine Africa Institute and former secretary-general of Amnesty International. Sané tells me that the Ukrainian embassy in Senegal has been recruiting “volunteer” mercenaries from countries like Senegal and Ivory Coast to fight in the war. “Should this war in Ukraine escalate, we say and we say it loud: do not bring it to our shores.”

So, when you say, "tout le monde", really, what you mean is all the rich white people, i.e. people who count. There are enough people who are meh about it, but in your eyes, they really aren't the ones to stand up and be counted.

I could close with a list of disasters that have been approved by the UN but left behind a trail of bodies and destruction far in excess of Ukraine's for no good reason, as seen in retrospect. But I just don't think it'd matter.
Though, I think Russia and its people would rather be equated socio-economically with the 'developed' nations that are now waging that economic war against them: US, UK, CAN, KOR, SUI, AUS, NZE TPE, JPN, and the EU, instead of IND and the 3rd World countries that are trading with them out of necessity. CHN is in a class by itself. So, in that sense, the countries aligned against Russia if not all nations are still disproportionately going to cause a lot of pain.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
I agree with you but wrong thread. :)

Brazil, Indonesia, India were going to be the new powers along with Russia and China. Only China has succeeded.

Sylvia

TBD
Some actual skating news: Ushakova & Nekrasov broke up, he is now skating with Elizaveta Pasechnik. No word on what Arina plans to do. Nekrasov ended the partnership because she was missing a lot of practices. Their coaches and even her own parents tried talking to her about her attendance problems but she wouldn't listen to anyone.
The Russian federation have an interview with him and his new partner Elizaveta Pasechnik on their website.
fsrussia.ru is slow to connect for me but here's the link to their interview (April 8) from which Amy summarized last month:

"About the results of the season, his students Daria Pavliuchenko - Denis Khodykin [still together], Natalya Khabibullina - Ilya Knyazhuk and others; directions for the development of pair skating, summer camps and plans, coaches Sergey Dobroskokov and Sergey Roslyakov told." (May 4):

Khabibullina/Knyazhuk interview (April 28):

Link to more interviews: https://fsrussia.ru/intervyu.html

Nadya

Though, I think Russia and its people would rather be equated socio-economically with the 'developed' nations that are now waging that economic war against them: US, UK, CAN, KOR, SUI, AUS, NZE TPE, JPN, and the EU, instead of IND and the 3rd World countries that are trading with them out of necessity. CHN is in a class by itself. So, in that sense, the countries aligned against Russia if not all nations are still disproportionately going to cause a lot of pain.
Politically, Russia has been drifting away from the US/EU for some time.

I don't think it's really a question as to who's at the cool-kid table. But thanks for making it really clear who counts and who doesn't.

olympic

Politically, Russia has been drifting away from the US/EU for some time.

I don't think it's really a question as to who's at the cool-kid table. But thanks for making it really clear who counts and who doesn't.
My point - I think if you were to ask a Muscovite or resident of St. Petersburg (I won't guess about more rural Russia) whom they look to for lifestyle, they would definitely key off of their neighbors in Europe or even NA. They don't more closely ID with India, Indonesia than Europe. So, I believe all of this hurts them individually.

The cool-kid table is doing what they can to end Russia's rape of its smaller neighbor, because of the megalomania of its leader.

ETA - oops, I had to respond to this, but realize I shouldn't post here anymore because it's annoying the other posters. I'll shut up at this point.

Joubabe

Don’t know if this has been posted yet, interview with Boikova and Kozlovskii. I‘m glad these athletes sound optimistic about preparations in light of the sanctions.

I hope Boikova and Kozlovskii temper their goals. I don’t think Russians are likely to be allowed back to ISU events in time for the next Olympics.

soogar

I hope Boikova and Kozlovskii temper their goals. I don’t think Russians are likely to be allowed back to ISU events in time for the next Olympics.
I don't know about that. In Tennis, the ATP is looking at not reporting points earned from Wimbledon due to the ban.

soogar

I didn't post this right away but it doesn't seem posted anywhere else. I feel StepBuk's Covid story gets more dramatic as they tell. Now it seems that they had a positive test in Beijing as well. I don't recall them saying that before.

Plush is following in Eteri's footsteps and wants to get his own pairs team. Actually, I think it's a good idea for both camps to have a pairs/ice dance funnel since they have so much singles talent. It makes no sense not to place a talented skater who could be at the top. I also liked what Eteri did with T&M in packaging and programs, it would be interesting to see what she could do with ice dance teams.

karmena

IMHO either allowed or not allowed, the goals have to be high anyway. We all have to make progress, to develop in any circumstances.

starrynight

Is there any update on the Valieva doping investigation and the team event medals?

The brazen disdain for clean sport has been appalling and although I know it is unrelated to the ban, I would personally like this issue to be resolved before Russia re-enters international skating.

Every time I scroll through Insta I see all these photos of this enormous pedestal that Valieva has been placed on within Russia and it reminds me of this issue.

Sylvia

TBD
Here's a recent quote from Vincent Zhou (believe it was picked up in the Russian press):
Zhou told Figure Skaters Online before the Hershey Stars on Ice show April 29 that he and his fellow teammates haven’t been told anything regarding when they will be able to receive their medals.
“We are prepared to wait a week, two weeks, six months, four years. Who knows?” he said.
When they do receive their medals, Zhou said it should be through a dignified ceremony and that Team USA should receive gold medals, instead of silver.
“But that’s not up to us,” he continued. “We have to live with whatever the outcome is, even if the outcome isn’t the desired outcome.”
“It is upsetting to be directly affected by this (doping investigation) and not be able to do anything about it,” he added. “So in the meantime, I’m happy to speak up about it and I’m happy to stand up with all my fellow Team USA athletes, and athletes from other countries around the world, who deserve better competition. But we really don’t have much influence on the outcome.”

reut

He is, his last post says that it was his own decision to stop writing to this account (it's the account that "goes on vacation", not him), but there will be his publications on YouTube and site. And he will be back sometime soon.
To all those who were worried about the fate of Kuznetsov. His "vacation" on Telegram took exactly 3 days. :D
https://t.me/s/makelutznotwar

I was curious and checked a few Telegrams of russian sports journalists I was used to check during Euros & Games.
Well, nothing new. They whine that "it's hard to cover the sport when nothing was left of it", but still succeed to produce some content (which I didn't care to read).

Sylvia

TBD
"Olympic champion Sochi figure skater Dmitry Solovyov [Dmitri Soloviev], who was beaten in Moscow in December 2021, told RT why he decided to reconcile with those who attacked him." Interview by Elena Vaytsekhovskaya (May 16, 2022): https://russian.rt.com/sport/article/1003657-solovyov-izbienie-primirenie-storon
Machine translated excerpts:
[DS]... I really hope that this story will make people rethink many things in their lives. I'm in rehab, maybe a long one. I will take care of my health.
- I know that before the tragedy you had many plans, including those that were associated with an attempt to return to big-time sports.
[DS] There really were plans, I even auditioned with several partners. What will happen now, and not only in relation to sports, is too early to say. Especially in the current situation. But there are ideas.
- Are they somehow connected with figure skating?
[DS] Figure skating will always come first in my life. It's just that life isn't limited to it. After all, it is necessary that future work brings not only pleasure, but also money. This is a very important point, and those who say that they are ready to work only for the sake of pleasure, in my opinion, are disingenuous.
- Do you still need medical help?
[DS] I did a lot of work and continue to work with a speech therapist , when I realized that after a head injury I began to noticeably stutter, and in general, it seems to me, the dynamics are very good. From time to time there are problems with pressure, headaches, but these are already trifles. I am generally an optimist. Even when I feel bad, I think that everything is fine. So I have no doubt that I will be able to recover. It just takes more time than we would like. Moreover, even doctors still cannot give any accurate predictions.

Sylvia

TBD
Is there any update on the Valieva doping investigation and the team event medals?
May 16, 2022 via TASS: https://tass.ru/sport/14632069
"It won't," the representative of the WADA press service answered the question of whether Valieva's case would be discussed at the next meetings of the executive committee and the board of founders in Cairo [May 18-19]. - This is the responsibility of the relevant results management body, that is, RUSADA (Russian Anti-Doping Agency - TASS note) ".
As TASS previously reported, WADA expects the Russian Anti-Doping Agency to complete its investigation into the case of a possible anti-doping rule violation by Valieva by August 8.

Bigbird

Sylvia

TBD
April 6:
Shanaeva and Drozd have teamed up and will be coached by Zhulin.
Today - "Sofya Tyutyunina [19 in June] / Andrei Bagin [age 26, previously with Annabelle Morozov who is now teamed with Devid Naryzhnyy] are announced as a new ice dance team" [also coached by Zhulin]: https://twitter.com/AnythingGOE/status/1526557310197420032

Tyutyunina & Shustitskiy had competed together at the junior level since 2017: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00104421.htm

(CC: @Dobre)

Last edited:

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
April 6:

Today - "Sofya Tyutyunina [19 in June] / Andrei Bagin [age 26, previously with Annabelle Morozov who is now teamed with Devid Naryzhnyy] are announced as a new ice dance team" [also coached by Zhulin]: https://twitter.com/AnythingGOE/status/1526557310197420032

Tyutyunina & Shustitskiy had competed together at the junior level since 2017: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00104421.htm

(CC: @Dobre)
Don’t know what her old partner was like but Bagin is going nowhere based on his wooden skating with Annabelle.

taz'smum

'Be Kind' - every skater has their own story
They better be paying all his medical bills.
If Tiff's experience of Russian medical care is anything to go by, there will not be any medical bills.
She was admitted to Russian hospitals twice and never had to pay anything.
I also broke my arm in Moscow and I never had to pay for my medical treatment.
I was not asked for insurance or even to show my passport.

hanca

Values her privacy
If Tiff's experience of Russian medical care is anything to go by, there will not be any medical bills.
She was admitted to Russian hospitals twice and never had to pay anything.
I also broke my arm in Moscow and I never had to pay for my medical treatment.
I was not asked for insurance or even to show my passport.
Yes, that’s quite common in many European countries. (I am not sure if they would be fixing broken arm to a foreigner, but Russian citizen would have free treatment in Russia, the same way as Polish citizen would have it free in Poland and Czech citizen in Czechia). Well, it is not completely free because contributions to the national health system are deducted from the wages.

million$momma

Yes, that’s quite common in many European countries. (I am not sure if they would be fixing broken arm to a foreigner, but Russian citizen would have free treatment in Russia, the same way as Polish citizen would have it free in Poland and Czech citizen in Czechia). Well, it is not completely free because contributions to the national health system are deducted from the wages.
I think most countries except for America have universal healthcare for their citizens.

screech

Many European countries are also part of a system (can't remember the name) where individuals are treated as a 'local' for medical care in other European countries. For example, if a Swede required medical treatment in Germany, they'd be treated as a German Sometimes this means paying upfront then being reimbursed, but you can still receive care the same way as a citizen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information