Russian figure skating news & updates in 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lilia A

Poor russian skaters. They are, of course, against the war. They are just afraid to say it. But they are not afraid to show sympathy for putin

Where are the parents of that 15 year old and why are they still allowing her to post on social media?:duh: The caption is right, is she trying to make it into the sanctioned people list? Being underage won't protect her at all.

greenapple

Poor russian skaters. They are, of course, against the war. They are just afraid to say it. But they are not afraid to show sympathy for putin
Yeah, poor Russian skaters. As long as they can continue living their lives as normal nothing else matters. Posting supportive comments for the despot on social media shows the world exactly where their loyalty lies and what they stand for - all of which is in direct opposition to what many of us in the free world stand for.

Hedwig

Antique member
Where are the parents of that 15 year old and why are they still allowing her to post on social media?:duh: The caption is right, is she trying to make it into the sanctioned people list? Being underage won't protect her at all.
What does the tweet say?

reut

Mean while Tuktamysheva's new year wishes in her instagram: no list of hopes, no list of wishes, just hope it will not become any worse.
At this paste I'll start liking her...
For Ukraine, fingers crossed, things will indeed get better, for russia all the "worse" is only starting. She must be extremely naive not to understand that.

Hedwig

Antique member
For Ukraine, fingers crossed, things will indeed get better, for russia all the "worse" is only starting. She must be extremely naive not to understand that.
that is a bit harsh for one of the only skaters from Russia who seem to have their heads straight on her shoulders. Of course she will hope that it won't get any worse and that the world will be better. And if she hopes for world peace that is not naive but just very hard to come by and maybe not possible but calling her naive is really uncalled for in these circumstances.

reut

that is a bit harsh for one of the only skaters from Russia who seem to have their heads straight on her shoulders. Of course she will hope that it won't get any worse and that the world will be better. And if she hopes for world peace that is not naive but just very hard to come by and maybe not possible but calling her naive is really uncalled for in these circumstances.
She is 26 old, grown up woman who knows English, how to use VPN and has access to Internet and all the sources she wants (you yourself emphasise that she is "one of the only skaters from Russia who seem to have their heads straight on her shoulders"), calling her naive was actually an euphemism.

If it was her way of saying that she hopes for the peace - not the "world peace", of course, but at least in Ukraine specifically - to come soon, then, yeah, hopefully it will. And then, like I wrote, for Ukraine things will indeed get better, but for russia it will very much be the other way round. And if she doesn't get that, she is "naive", that's what my post meant. Not that hoping for peace is naive.

And, of course, she is sitting there, celebrating and hoping that somehow by sheer luck things won't get worse, someone will maybe do something, without her doing anything. Well, sorry to disappoint. At this stage it is very obvious that things will get very bad very soon for russia, actually they already do, maybe less influence her comfortable life just yet.

airgelaal

Here, for example, the results of the year from her teammate. An autograph from putin, a medal from the ministry of defense, a sweatshirt with a photo of lukashenko.
God, they all just don't see anything controversial about it. They just love and are proud of their president and their country. They are not ashamed of it and do not hide it. In any status and under any neutral flag, they will also love their president and be proud of the country. Even if this country kills people in a neighboring country. If their beloved president and country decided so, then it was necessary. And their business is to glorify their country in sports. Because they were born and live in a great country.

Hedwig

Antique member
She is 26 old, grown up woman who knows English, how to use VPN and has access to Internet and all the sources she wants (you yourself emphasise that she is "one of the only skaters from Russia who seem to have their heads straight on her shoulders"), calling her naive was actually an euphemism.

If it was her way of saying that she hopes for the peace - not the "world peace", of course, but at least in Ukraine specifically - to come soon, then, yeah, hopefully it will. And then, like I wrote, for Ukraine things will indeed get better, but for russia it will very much be the other way round. And if she doesn't get that, she is "naive", that's what my post meant. Not that hoping for peace is naive.

And, of course, she is sitting there, celebrating and hoping that somehow by sheer luck things won't get worse, someone will maybe do something, without her doing anything. Well, sorry to disappoint. At this stage it is very obvious that things will get very bad very soon for russia, actually they already do, maybe less influence her comfortable life just yet.
we don't need to argue about this but I think there are tons of Russians we can call out for their behaviour and their actions and it does not need to be her when she is one of the only ones not supporting this war. That she only thinks about herself and Russia is an interpretation from you and not a fact. Maybe her "hopefully not worse" is meant globally and not only for her country. We saw during the last year how many people from other countries are willing that their life gets worse in order to help Ukraine.

Lilia A

An autograph from putin, a medal from the ministry of defense.
Wow. That's just plain stupid of him. I take it he's not planning to compete internationally ever again? Unless he enjoys getting cancelled. The internet is forever and by publishing those pictures himself he's making sure no one ever forgets about it. His name was added to the list of sanctioned individuals a few weeks ago along with a few other skaters. His name isn't getting removed now, in my opinion.

happycamper2554

Wow. That's just plain stupid of him. I take it he's not planning to compete internationally ever again? Unless he enjoys getting cancelled. The internet is forever and by publishing those pictures himself he's making sure no one ever forgets about it. His name was added to the list of sanctioned individuals a few weeks ago along with a few other skaters. His name isn't getting removed now, in my opinion.
The sanctions list means he can’t go to Ukraine. I guarantee the ISU won’t punish any of them individually. As soon as Russia is back so is he.

Lilia A

The sanctions list means he can’t go to Ukraine. I guarantee the ISU won’t punish any of them individually. As soon as Russia is back so is he.
True but I don't think someone who so openly supports a dictator will be well received by fans in other countries. Figure skating is such a niche sport that everyone knows everyone. That's why I brought up the getting cancelled part. The sanctions probably won't affect him much because at his age he most likely doesn't have assets or properties in Ukraine, but we don't know what kind of repercussions in other countries they could bring. I don't want to speculate because I really don't know anything and this is not the thread for it anyway.

Primorskaya

I find it ironic that Valieva has a program that related to one of the most classic American TV series of all time, given all the hyperbole the Ruskies spew about how the western world is its enemy.
Perfectly consistent with my experience of living there (and that was 10 years ago...): happy to lecture you westerners about their somehow better "values", but oh watch how quickly the moral high ground stops mattering when presented with French perfume, Italian clothes and American computers...

Bigbird

True but I don't think someone who so openly supports a dictator will be well received by fans in other countries. Figure skating is such a niche sport that everyone knows everyone. That's why I brought up the getting cancelled part. The sanctions probably won't affect him much because at his age he most likely doesn't have assets or properties in Ukraine, but we don't know what kind of repercussions in other countries they could bring. I don't want to speculate because I really don't know anything and this is not the thread for it anyway.
When the "dictator" is your employer and all you've known, it skews your reality a bit. This may be what we've seen about them on social media but there is a whole lotta stuff we don't know. Appearances can be just that appearances. And appearances can save a life in a country like Russia. We shouldn't rush to be so judgemental, the half of it may not be known.

airgelaal

That's it! No matter what they say or do, they will not be punished. Because it's discrimination. How convenient!

Lilia A

We shouldn't rush to be so judgemental, the half of it may not be known.
I'm not. I've given them the benefit of the doubt a lot. For instance, the Kremlin meetings and even the speeches. Those may have been written by a staffer and given to them to read. Or maybe not. I don't know, I don't think we'll ever know. I understand and acknowledge that the meeting was their duty. But posting stuff like that on social media almost a year later, was that their duty? I acknowledge that posting openly against the war could endanger your well being and your family's. I don't think that not posting support would endanger anyone's life or livelihood, however. They could just choose to be silent like many other athletes. I don't want to continue this topic here because this is about skating news. I'm sorry I even brought stuff up. If anyone would like my opinion, please feel free to tag me in any appropriate thread in PI or in the thread about the invasion here in this sub-forum.

Sylvia

TBD

reut

we don't need to argue about this but I think there are tons of Russians we can call out for their behaviour and their actions and it does not need to be her when she is one of the only ones not supporting this war. That she only thinks about herself and Russia is an interpretation from you and not a fact. Maybe her "hopefully not worse" is meant globally and not only for her country. We saw during the last year how many people from other countries are willing that their life gets worse in order to help Ukraine.

"Hopefully not worse globally" (or, to be more precise once again, we're not talking about "world peace" and "globally", but one small peace, in Ukraine) means "much worse" for russia, it can't go together. russia already passed the point of no return, so there is no "not only for her country". It will be better for others, sure, sooner or later and hopefully sooner, but not for russia. Maybe, eventually in tens of years, but a lot of "worse" will be coming their way first. And not because I'm wishing this on them, but because this is how things work for bloody dictatorships with lousy and greedy leadership and unhealthy society.

I do wonder where you took if from that she is actively "willing that her life gets worse in order to help Ukraine", any actual proof to that? Considering she explicitly writes the opposite + we already concluded here that all russian athletes, including her, must be forever forgiven for all the quite literally blood money they get from the state.

On My Own

I do wonder where you took if from that she is actively "willing that her life gets worse in order to help Ukraine", any actual proof to that?
This isn't what Hedwig said in their post... I think they're saying that not many people - from any other country - are willing to make their lives worse in order to help Ukraine, it's not just Tuktamysheva the Russian athlete.

I don't think this warrants debate. What I took from @TAHbKA's translation very much was that Tuktamysheva was hoping it wouldn't get worse for Ukraine. I doubt she's not aware what it means for her own country. I think we can afford her a generous interpretation, where we might not for Sotnikova or Tarasova/Morozov.

Hedwig

Antique member
I do wonder where you took if from that she is actively "willing that her life gets worse in order to help Ukraine", any actual proof to that? Considering she explicitly writes the opposite + we already concluded here that all russian athletes, including her, must be forever forgiven for all the quite literally blood money they get from the state.
I wrote a long answer to you because actually you frustrate me a lot with your attacking one of the only decent Russian skaters right now instead of concentrating on real culprits like Kondriatuk but whatever - I only need to quote myself again and ask you to read what people write instead of fabricating your own version

Hedwig

Antique member
This isn't what Hedwig said in their post... I think they're saying that not many people - from any other country - are willing to make their lives worse in order to help Ukraine, it's not just Tuktamysheva the Russian athlete.

I don't think this warrants debate. What I took from @TAHbKA's translation very much was that Tuktamysheva was hoping it wouldn't get worse for Ukraine. I doubt she's not aware what it means for her own country. I think we can afford her a generous interpretation, where we might not for Sotnikova or Tarasova/Morozov.
Exactly. You put it better than myself but then I was a bit angry. Stepping away from this now :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information