2021/2022 Canadian Pairs: News and Updates

Sylvia

TBD

Mayra

KMT shared some thoughts on the season so far. There are a lot of nice comments from fellow skaters. https://www.instagram.com/kirsten_mt/p/CXWBL-ROVDC/?utm_medium=copy_link
Good for her, I hope she finds the motivation to finish this season and her skating career on a high note.

I just listened to Meagan and co on TSL today, and if I was Kirsten, that would be enough motivation to light a fire under me and give everyone the middle finger. If one of my former competitors had direct messaged me to stop feeing sorry for myself(paraphrasing here), thank you would NOT have been my response. No matter how accurate or well intended the advice was. :revenge:

Having said that Meagan did have some good advice on the show as far as intensity training, and more importantly a sports psychologist or therapist to help. Some things go beyond what you do in training, see Simone Biles.

Here's hoping they can turn it around for themselves. :cheer2:

yeslek

Good for her, I hope she finds the motivation to finish this season and her skating career on a high note.

I just listened to Meagan and co on TSL today, and if I was Kirsten, that would be enough motivation to light a fire under me and give everyone the middle finger. If one of my former competitors had direct messaged me to stop feeing sorry for myself(paraphrasing here), thank you would NOT have been my response. No matter how accurate or well intended the advice was. :revenge:

Having said that Meagan did have some good advice on the show as far as intensity training, and more importantly a sports psychologist or therapist to help. Some things go beyond what you do in training, see Simone Biles.

Here's hoping they can turn it around for themselves. :cheer2:
I think Meagan was trying to help with that… she also was coming from a similar place where the pairing disappointed her as well. She wouldn’t be rude to them her husband is their coach.

Mayra

I think Meagan was trying to help with that… she also was coming from a similar place where the pairing disappointed her as well. She wouldn’t be rude to them her husband is their coach.
100%. I think she made a lot of good points. She clearly understands the sport, the scoring and the behind the scenes involved to succeed. But unsolicited stop feeling sorry for yourself in a message? If I've moved on, then you should too? It's tough love for sure, but not entirely helpful. IMO

yeslek

100%. I think she made a lot of good points. She clearly understands the sport, the scoring and the behind the scenes involved to succeed. But unsolicited stop feeling sorry for yourself in a message? If I've moved on, then you should too? It's tough love for sure, but not entirely helpful. IMO
Honestly though? She needs it… Meagan saying something isn’t going to make anything worse.

Vase

I maybe minority but I’m not a S/D fan. We have a lot of ‘older’ skaters at the moment and I think seeing age take the toll on skaters ability is tough to watch and support. I get she’s in great shape, but age happens to everyone eventually

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
I maybe minority but I’m not a S/D fan. We have a lot of ‘older’ skaters at the moment and I think seeing age take the toll on skaters ability is tough to watch and support. I get she’s in great shape, but age happens to everyone eventually
Yes, age does catch up.........and although Stellato is an "Older" skater.....I don't think her body got the message yet!

Vase

I agree, I wasn’t trying to be negative about them just my opinion on ‘older’ skaters. But I wish SD much success. May all the athletes skate to their potential come Nationals.

jmtfti

I think one advantage Deanna has compared to other skaters in their mid-30s is that she took a decade+ off -- she avoided putting her body through the kind of stress that most skaters do in their 20s. I suspect that's bought her some time, so to speak.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
I think one advantage Deanna has compared to other skaters in their mid-30s is that she took a decade+ off -- she avoided putting her body through the kind of stress that most skaters do in their 20s. I suspect that's bought her some time, so to speak.
Yes, I completely agree. She went from silver at World Juniors to a 6.0 in a USFS competition to being completely out of the sport in the span of about 8 months. I think she was off the ice (at least not training at any kind of serious level) for a good 15 or so years. She wants to stick around for another Olympiad-- all the power to her!

Last edited:

shutterbug

The Globe and Mail has published an article today discussing eating disorders across an number of elite amateur sports. KMT is one of the athletes interviewed, and while she has spoken openly about her battle with bulimia in the past, some of the details she provides are quite frankly chilling:
While skaters around her talked openly about wanting to be thinner, it was her coach at the time who encouraged her into a disorder. After weighing Moore-Towers at the rink one day, he told her exactly what to do if she was serious about losing weight.

She remembers the first time she stuck a finger down her throat, as he had suggested. “It just felt like the easy way out,” she said.

Why that f*#king b@stard hasn't been given a lifetime ban from coaching is beyond me. :angryfire

shutterbug

Nice article on the new Junior pair of Summer Homick and Marty Haubrich: Homick, Haubrich prepare for Skate Canada Nationals
“We might start working on some harder elements, but they probably won’t be ready for nationals quite yet,” said Haubrich in the weeks leading up to nationals. “It’s just time to fine tune everything and make sure everything’s crisp and clear so we can put on a good performance at nationals.”

If they do well in Ottawa there is a chance they might be eligible for international competition in 2022. Two World Junior spots are available and possibly Challenge Cups.

“If they think we are ready to venture into the international field, they might send us there,” said Haubrich.

clairecloutier

James/Radford say they may continue for another season after Olympics; but no firm decision yet.

Rhumba d’Amour

James/Radford say they may continue for another season after Olympics; but no firm decision yet.

This makes a lot of sense to me, as they do seem to be improving as they go along, and their main competitors will probably retire. By continuing they could easily win a National title, for example.

please, can we have better music choices, though?

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Dang. If their recovery is anything like what we've seen from other skaters (Ashley Cain-Gribble most recently), then I can't imaging them being competition ready in 4 weeks for the Olympics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information