2021/2022 Canadian Pairs: News and Updates

Colonel Green

The sequel to the surprise hit thread of the previous season, which unexpectedly managed to be about the same size as the other three Canadian disciplines' threads combined (and that's even with the 30+ page thread on the James/Radford news). Can this one keep the momentum going? We'll see!

This was, conversely, looking like something of a foregone conclusion for the Olympic team until Eric & Vanessa re-entered the scene, but now that they have, all eyes will be on them in the months ahead. As well as how KMT & Marinaro and Walsh & Michaud respond to this decidedly unexpected challenge.

Below them, we've got some other younger teams who showed promise in the very limited competitive opportunities afforded to them in the preceding season. I'm especially interested to see how McIntosh & Mimar do on the JGP (assuming that that happens), because from what we saw at Challenge they're as solid as any non-Russian junior pair out there. This will be their only junior season, thanks to YKW.

Sylvia

It's Montreal Worlds week!
Copying over from the previous thread:
Kirsten M-T & Michael M. are conversing live right now [May 7] on the Cafecito con Masha YT channel ...

Kirsten said Julie Marcotte has choreographed their FS program (music still to be revealed) and they are using someone new for their SP choreography.

Before Worlds, they were planning to use a composition by Eric Radford for ther SP music but now... :D
At this point of the chat (ETA that both of their facial expressions are amusing to see): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Opy-ueFEPs4&t=2145s

Last edited:

Lil Sarah

I'm hoping MT&M can up their game some like they have before. I hope J&R bring it and W&M do too.

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
Ive been checking out the videos of James/Radford practice, I am impressed! Love the twist and the throws, they create a striking picture on the ice visually and beautiful lines. Very excited to see them live.

CassAgain

Ive been checking out the videos of James/Radford practice, I am impressed! Love the twist and the throws, they create a striking picture on the ice visually and beautiful lines. Very excited to see them live.
I am more intrigued than excited at this point, but they certainly seem to be well-matched.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Ruest and Wolfe announced they are retiring. Her hip injury has made it too difficult for them to continue. Both posted about it on their instagram.

Sylvia

It's Montreal Worlds week!
Copying out Drew's eloquent message in English: https://www.instagram.com/p/CPa5emdrQEc/

What a ride it has been! It is a bitter-sweet feeling to announce that I will be stepping away from competitive figure skating to pursue other endeavours. It has become impossible for Camille and me to continue without risking her long-term quality of life. Having sought advice from many medical experts she has been told that she will need a full hip replacement shortly. She has endured constant pain on a daily basis for more than a year. Her long-term health is of utmost importance and outweighs our desire to continue on our journey towards Olympic competition. We want to deeply thank all of our wonderful coaches who helped us become incredible skaters and even better people. To all of our competitors and fans who cheered us on, whether we skated great or failed miserably 🙄, we are forever grateful. We want to thank our families, for their many sacrifices over the years and their equal commitment to our endeavour. Thank you to Skate Canada, Skate Alberta NWT/Nun and Patinage Quebec for surrounding us with experts and helping us navigate through the challenging environment of elite competition always keeping our best interest in mind.

We want everyone to know that we look back on our career having no regrets and knowing that we gave every ounce of energy and drive to each and every objective we set. To any young athlete who wants to make it in their sport, it is absolutely a risk worth taking. The life lessons I have learned and the experiences I have had are irreplaceable. They will help guide me through the next chapter in life and I can’t wait to see what the future holds for me. The most challenging decisions can often take us the farthest in life.

On a lighter note, here is a cute reel video of them that Camille posted earlier this month: https://www.instagram.com/reel/CO8RFKoHtmF/

honey

Not super surprised to read this. Hope Camille is able to get her hip to a point where she can still lead a normal life.

A bit bummed that Drew is also retiring. He’s a great talent. But I suppose at 26, and them being off ice partners I can see how he would come to the decision to retire as well.

Colonel Green

Evelyn Walsh posted this photo with Trennt Michaud, Carol Lane and Juris Razgulajevs today in Scarborough ("Such a pleasure collaborating with Carol & Juris while creating our free program this season! We’re looking forward to performing🤍"): https://www.instagram.com/p/CPbMmG3rrbF/
Since they had only used their Cirque free skate once (even if it was at Worlds) I had initially been thinking they might keep that for another season, but once Eric came back I figured they'd probably move on from using stuff he choreographed.

jmtfti

And Kirsten Moore-Towers revealed that she and Mike are working (again) with Mark Pillay on their short:

Pillay did their first season programs, as well as Kirsten and Dylan's big ones.

Colonel Green

I suppose this should be mentioned here: there are reports circulating online (originating from Russian forums, apparently) about Nic Nadeau switching to pairs. There hasn't been anything about this reported in Canadian circles, but that doesn't mean it's not true. We'll see.

screech

I suppose this should be mentioned here: there are reports circulating online (originating from Russian forums, apparently) about Nic Nadeau switching to pairs. There hasn't been anything about this reported in Canadian circles, but that doesn't mean it's not true. We'll see.
Am I imagining things or hasn't there been talk for years that he was going to do pairs? Or was it just people thinking he should do pairs?
Would he be able to find a partner who jumps in his direction? Or would they go the Yamaguchi/Galindo route?

greenapple

It was that he should do pairs, not that he was actually considering it. The reports are that he's now doing tryouts.
I heard he is doing some pairs work with one particular skater to see if he likes it and if anything can come out of it. The reports of him doing tryouts are not correct, but maybe that will change if things don't work out with the current person.

chantilly

Personally I really hope that Nic Nadeau changing to pairs happens and works out.

I found him a very charismatic and powerful skater on the ice.

I was sad to not see him be able to pull it all together in seniors.

miffy

Bad Brit
Staff member
Is Nic Nadeau the one who did 3sal2toe as his combo a couple of years ago? Or am I completely misremembering who that was?!

Either way I hope it works out. I presume teams will be retiring after next season and it’s always great to see new ones.

chantilly

Is Nic Nadeau the one who did 3sal2toe as his combo a couple of years ago? Or am I completely misremembering who that was?!

Either way I hope it works out. I presume teams will be retiring after next season and it’s always great to see new ones.
He was working on a quad at the time I think as well as a quad loop.
Not sure if he was struggling with injuries or mental issues.

miffy

Bad Brit
Staff member
He was working on a quad at the time I think as well as a quad loop.
Not sure if he was struggling with injuries or mental issues.
I didn’t mean it in an insulting way and I do remember that other posters here were surprised as he normally did much harder jumps. I just wasn’t certain if that was him or not.

ChiquitaBanana

A couple of years ago, he was the silver medalist at the 2016 Junior Worlds also...

chantilly

Understood. Thanks for clarification.
Even a solid triple sal would be helpful but his lutz or flip is the way of the future I think,

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information