2021/2022 Canadian Pairs: News and Updates

danafan

Canadian ladies über
I wondered about Carle and Farand since they were not listed on the NextGen team (even though they were at the NextGen event) and he's on icepartnersearch, so I guess they split.

Canada only sent one team to the first JGP with pairs, are sending no pairs to the JGP event in Russia, and only one pair is registered for Poland. I wonder how many teams will be assigned to the final JGP event in Austria. There are 8 pair teams on NextGen but I don't know how many are JGP eligible (Brasseur&Daleman and Laurin&Ethier have aged out for example).

There are two spots for junior worlds and there aren't two active/age eligible teams with the TES minimums at the moment.

Colonel Green

I wondered about Carle and Farand since they were not listed on the NextGen team (even though they were at the NextGen event) and he's on icepartnersearch, so I guess they split.
Maybe not surprising. With her growth spurt she was looking too big for him.

Vase

So where’s Brooke her partner, still injured? All these years trying to boost Canada Pair teams and we have no one to send, I think some Reassessment maybe needs done?!

Sylvia

TBD
The latest Ice Lab podcast (with Michael Marinaro & Trennt Michaud) features Kirsten Moore-Towers:

5 practice clips from M-T/M's new SP to "Hold on Tight" by Forest Blakk, choreo. by Mark Pillay: https://www.instagram.com/p/CTSiADzFMpx/

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Canada only sent one team to the first JGP with pairs, are sending no pairs to the JGP event in Russia, and only one pair is registered for Poland. I wonder how many teams will be assigned to the final JGP event in Austria.
Chloe PANETTA / Kieran THRASHER will make their JGP debut together in #6 Gdansk.

Meghan FREDETTE / William ST-LOUIS (6th in their JGP debut in Kosice SVK) are listed for JGP #7 on the ISU website (Skate Canada hasn't updated their international assignments page yet for #7 Linz).

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
There are 8 pair teams on NextGen but I don't know how many are JGP eligible (Brasseur&Daleman and Laurin&Ethier have aged out for example).

Found some articles....
Carignan/Pierro (his DOB 9/2000) would be 14/20 and Schmitz/Taylor would be 14/18 as of 2021 Nationals time. Wilberforce/Wright's ages were listed as 14 and 19 as of a Dec 2020 article, so they are or will be soon 15/20. McIntosh/Mimar are 1/2005 and 11/2000 making them 16/20. Laurin/Ethier are 11/2005 and 6/2000 making them 15 and 21 now. Brasseur/Daleman are 7/2001 and 3/2000 making them 20 and 21.

The wiki entry for JGP series says "Skaters who reach the age of 13 before July 1, 2021, but have not turned 19 (singles and females of the other two disciplines) or 21 (male pair skaters and ice dancers) are eligible to compete on the junior circuit."

Last edited:

puglover

I have quite enjoyed these "The Ice Lab" podcasts with Mike and Trennt. It is always nice to see close friendships develop in a competitive sport. Very interesting that Kirsten and Trennt were contacted by Bryce Davison and encouraged to try pairs. Both mention being in awe of Bryce as he and Jessica were very successful at the time. It sounded like this was an initiative he took on his own and what a great way to pay it forward.

yfbg722

Both mention being in awe of Bryce as he and Jessica were very successful at the time. It sounded like this was an initiative he took on his own and what a great way to pay it forward.
Bryce was very supportive of my daughter when she skated pairs at the jr level. He told her and her partner that they were going to break his and Jessica's Canadian record and was one of the first to congratulate them when they did. Very class act!

Vase

Can anyone list the junior pairs eligible for junior worlds, teams with 2A or 3tw, I really hopes Audrey and Gabriel would’ve worked out.
I know Thrasher is newer to skating as last year he was still splitting his training in competitive hockey

mackiecat

Thrasher has been landing 2A for a few years now. Pretty amazing he kept up high level of hockey and figure skating all these years. His family must have put lots of miles on their cars as I think he played hockey somewhere near Windsor and skates in Oakville.

Sylvia

TBD
Chloe Panetta/Kieran Thrasher are competing at John Nicks Pairs Challenge international competition held in New York today and tomorrow.
Competition is valid to achieve minimum TES for Junior Worlds.
2022 Junior Worlds TES minimums for pairs are 23 (SP) & 34 (FS) - Panetta/Thrasher achieved both scores before they head out to make their JGP debut together in Poland in a couple of weeks. They won the gold medal at the John Nicks Pairs Challenge (130.46 total) by one tenth of a point! They landed sbs 2A (with slightly negative GOE), as well as the throw Salchow (+ GOE in the FS), in both programs.
1st in SP: 46.51 [25.93 / 20.58]
2nd in FS: 83.95 [39.68 / 44.27]
Here's a nice photo of them by @clairecloutier ("with Mervin Tran, who helped coach them") today :): https://twitter.com/ClaireCloutier/status/1436419547033124865

ETA that Meghan Fredette/William St-Louis got their Jr. Worlds minimums (26.06 / 37.02) in their JGP debut in Kosice, Slovakia.

Last edited:

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Well excited to see that James/Radofrd and Moore-Towers/Marinarno are both on the entry list for Finlandia (not on the Skate Canada assignments page yet). It will be an early indication of how international judges compare these two teams.

ETA: the international assignments page for Skate Canada is updated for Finlandia now.

Last edited:

karmena

.., watched on youtube Vanessa/ Eric at ACI...In my opinion music for the SP has to be changed. I dare to say that Chopin would be a wonderful choice. If I am not mistaken neither of them ever skated to classical music with their previous partners (?) It would be a bold way to find their identity as a pair or rather to bring it out by the help of soul touching music/ choreography. Also, the second coach with an experience in their team is must. Julie might be a perfect but, still, an experience as a coach is needed, especially before Olympics.

That SP music on the Olympic stage.... it is not going to work. I am sure that Chopin would work magic for them! Also, Chopin might come Vanessa's nerves and, in general, will open new horizons for them.
Ha! Ha! I am talking, dreaming too much here...

Rock2

.., watched on youtube Vanessa/ Eric at ACI...In my opinion music for the SP has to be changed. I dare to say that Chopin would be a wonderful choice. If I am not mistaken neither of them ever skated to classical music with their previous partners (?) It would be a bold way to find their identity as a pair or rather to bring it out by the help of soul touching music/ choreography. Also, the second coach with an experience in their team is must. Julie might be a perfect but, still, an experience as a coach is needed, especially before Olympics.

That SP music on the Olympic stage.... it is not going to work. I am sure that Chopin would work magic for them! Also, Chopin might come Vanessa's nerves and, in general, will open new horizons for them.
Ha! Ha! I am talking, dreaming too much here...

Sorry, Julie only has dreary covers of pop tunes and French-Canadian music. There will be no Chopin.

I must say I tend to really love slow, beautiful music but building 2 programs like that is a terrible idea. I picked up my phone during their long and subconsciously started scrolling through social media - yet I was looking forward to watching them skate. I don't understand this packaging. Is their goal to 'maybe' make the world and Olympic team and get lost in the mess of entries ranked 6-12?

Their short is almost indiscernible from his 2018 short with Meagan and will fade meekly into the background against RUS and CHN entries. I thought this new partnership was all about innovation....?

Meh. To all of it.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Sorry, Julie only has dreary covers of pop tunes and French-Canadian music. There will be no Chopin.

I must say I tend to really love slow, beautiful music but building 2 programs like that is a terrible idea. I picked up my phone during their long and subconsciously started scrolling through social media - yet I was looking forward to watching them skate. I don't understand this packaging. Is their goal to 'maybe' make the world and Olympic team and get lost in the mess of entries ranked 6-12?

Their short is almost indiscernible from his 2018 short with Meagan and will fade meekly into the background against RUS and CHN entries. I thought this new partnership was all about innovation....?

Meh. To all of it.
I thought they were competing for somewhere amongst the Americans and Italians (and now the Japanese) anyways, you thought they would best that?

The SP needs to go though, and I'll give the LP a pass for now hoping they can make something of it. But it might be quite the adventure to even get to the Majors this season, generous scoring there or not.

Rock2

I thought they were competing for somewhere amongst the Americans and Italians (and now the Japanese) anyways, you thought they would best that?

The SP needs to go though, and I'll give the LP a pass for now hoping they can make something of it. But it might be quite the adventure to even get to the Majors this season, generous scoring there or not.
I would think if they got 10th at Olympics or world's that might place them below Americans and Japanese or on par at best.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?

You think? They're going up against exactly who else for the 2nd spot? Walsh/Michaud and Stellato-Dudek/Deschamps. Deanna doesn't have Canadian citizenship and isn't going to get it before February so, they're fighting for that 2nd spot against Walsh/Michaud who were 12th at Worlds. Those scores this weekend clearly indicate that SkCan is willing to put their eggs in the James/Radford basket and screw over Walsh/Michaud for the Olympics. I think J/R would have to physically sit down and not complete any elements on the ice to lose to any other Canadian team not named Moore-Towers/Moscovitch at this point.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
You think? They're going up against exactly who else for the 2nd spot? Walsh/Michaud and Stellato-Dudek/Deschamps. Deanna doesn't have Canadian citizenship and isn't going to get it before February so, they're fighting for that 2nd spot against Walsh/Michaud who were 12th at Worlds. Those scores this weekend clearly indicate that SkCan is willing to put their eggs in the James/Radford basket and screw over Walsh/Michaud for the Olympics. I think J/R would have to physically sit down and not complete any elements on the ice to lose to any other Canadian team not named Moore-Towers/Moscovitch at this point.
Walsh/Michaud made good progress pre-CV, and they weren't outstanding at Worlds but I think both teams will have a fire in them to really deliver this year. I don't know what's up with Vanessa's jumps, but Eric still looks a bit rusty in my eyes, and I'm not sure if rotating triples is always going to be a thing, nor is having all the lifts be completed with ease (although Michaud really has no advantage on that one :lol:)

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Walsh/Michaud made good progress pre-CV, and they weren't outstanding at Worlds but I think both teams will have a fire in them to really deliver this year. I don't know what's up with Vanessa's jumps, but Eric still looks a bit rusty in my eyes, and I'm not sure if rotating triples is always going to be a thing, nor is having all the lifts be completed with ease (although Michaud really has no advantage on that one :lol:)
You could be correct but, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they pull out of this weekend's comp because of an injury? I'm no fan of any of the current Canadian teams but that scoring at ACI this weekend really has me just utterly pissed off and I'd love to see W/M fend off J/R. I'm just doubtful they'll be able to do so with the clear support J/R have from the fed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information