2021/2022 Canadian Pairs: News and Updates

Sylvia

TBD
Is Nic Nadeau the one who did 3sal2toe as his combo a couple of years ago? Or am I completely misremembering who that was?!
Yes, in his SP at GP France in 2019. Nadeau did land the 3S+3T in his SP at 2019 Skate Canada International. ;)

He has a great 3A+3T and his SP combo at 2020 Canadians was 3Lo+3T.

Nadeau was one of the athletes who recently received a 2020-21 academic scholarship (he attends UQAM - L'Université du Québec à Montréal): https://www.facebook.com/EcoleExcellenceRosemere/photos/pcb.4416744411691421/4416720418360487/

puglover

I second that description of Nic's great 3A and he has a ton of charisma and natural showmanship. I understand why SOI goes with the big time medal winners but Nic is a prime example of a skater, less well known, who could up the entertainment value and get the audience on their feet.

Sylvia

TBD
Quebec Summer Championships updated their list of registered skaters as of June 16 - link to my post in the Kiss & Cry section: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...titions-virtual-whatever.108307/#post-6011633

New pairs include James/Radford (as expected) and Elizabeth Thibodeau-Mailhot & Daniel Villeneuve (good to see him back!). T-M competed at the virtual Challenge this past season with Nicolas Franz in Junior while Villeneuve is returning after sitting out a few years due to injury (previously competed with Gabriella Marvaldi on the JGP in 2016 for USA and had planned to skate for Canada starting in 2018).

The other 4 Senior pairs currently registered are:
Kelly Ann Laurin/Loucas Ethier
Lori-Ann Matte/Thierry Ferland
Natasha Purich/Bryce Chudak
Deanna Stellato/Maxime Deschamps

Last edited:

Rock2

I'd like to see Nic do pairs, too. Unsure if he is the right fit, for reasons beyond skating itself. Kaiya, in a few years?

Marinaro mentioned on his new podcast with Trennt that he is trying to put on size this summer, I'm assuming to improve lifts and twists. He mentioned his upper body is weaker than when he was a teenager. Admirable effort, but perhaps 2-3 years late on that front. Let's see what comes of the work. I would have to think the muscle should be there now, so they could apply it to updated technique over coming month or two. Tick tock, kids.

Good clips of Eric and Vanessa. Rumour has it they don't really have much for lifts to show yet. I don't follow either of them so I'm unsure what they have shown. Let's see how they progress in all areas. Praying their programs are decent but I fear they will be more dreary adult contemporary (James Blunt?) that seems to be a hallmark of Canadian pairs skating.

Drew. Not convinced he's done. Totally makes sense to be focussed right now on Camille and her health. I just have to think he'll have options. Plus he seems too smart to waste the talent he has. We'll see when we click forward into a new cycle and the deck shuffles.

puglover

Does anyone know if any of the current skaters are getting the benefit of B2ten as Scott and Tessa did? If I understood it correctly, that organization provided a lot of the specialized training to help their bodies peak at their top physical state. When I look on their website I don't see figure skating mentioned.

Colonel Green

Good clips of Eric and Vanessa. Rumour has it they don't really have much for lifts to show yet. I don't follow either of them so I'm unsure what they have shown.
They haven't posted any clips of lifts. I've been assuming they're waiting on that until they've really fine-tuned them. We've seen a lot of jumps, throws, twists, etc.

Orm Irian

They haven't posted any clips of lifts. I've been assuming they're waiting on that until they've really fine-tuned them. We've seen a lot of jumps, throws, twists, etc.
James has posted a couple of Instagram stories showing work towards lifts lately - off-ice stuff, but it's interesting to see how they go through the process of developing them. Especially knowing that she was the creative mind behind the lifts she did with Cipres.

Dobre

I've wanted to see Nadeau try pairs since at least 2018. I hope he will find that he enjoys it, as he could have a long career in the discipline. And I think his personality & ability to hear the music are so much fun on the ice & could create something both special & competitive within the pairs field.

Sedge

Summer McIntosh, a 14 year old Canadian swimmer had an outstanding Olympic qualification 10 days ago and has turned heads with her time improvements this year. She was interviewed on CBC radio last weekend and mentioned her sister Brooke McIntosh who represented Canada at Youth Olympics in 2020 with former partner Brandon Toste.

Summer defeated Olympic Gold medalist , and idol,Penny Oleksiak in the trials.
About Summer Penny said she is " all gas and no brakes"

Clip from the National

I see this had already been mentioned upthread..my apologies.

Last edited:

BaileyCatts

I swear I don't even know how to post on Twitter so it wasn't me! :rofl: But then he doesn't even mention the current World Champions? Olympic podium is going to be CHN-RUS-RUS (that's the order I want. :p ). I don't see J&R placing any higher than 5th at best. I'd bet a million imaginary FSU dollars on it. :lol:

Panja

Haha @BaileyCatts I don't bet or gamble ever, but I still feel you'll probably be right about two Russian pairs and one Chinese. The order however....we shall see. Should be a great show down though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information