2021/2022 Canadian Men: News and Updates

screech

For those not following the "Qualification to Team Competition" thread, it appears that Keegan might not have made it to Beijing yet, despite his plan to leave on January 25 (per the article linked a few posts up). A few people are saying it's 100% certain he's not there, though there has been no 'official' confirmation of this.

If that's the case, it's looking like there's a good chance Roman (who's in Beijing and has posted pictures from official practice) may be the one doing the full Team Event. And if it's true, I hope Keegan is able to make it for the individual event. If not, I hope SC has named an alternate, and has them en route.

Then again, Keegan rarely posts on social media, so it's not surprising he wouldn't be posting about travel or practice, even if he was already there.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Then again, Keegan rarely posts on social media, so it's not surprising he wouldn't be posting about travel or practice, even if he was already there.
Actually, Keegan posts fairly frequently on his IG story (which disappears after 24 hrs). He's been radio silent for most of the last week, which is uncommon for him.

Sylvia

TBD

Sonata

The photos are gorgeous. Always forget how impressive Olympic ice can be. I didn’t realize athletes could still post from Instagram- I thought I read they were told to avoid using their personal phones and accounts, etc.

Keegan Messing lives in Alaska - wouldn’t he take a direct flight from there instead of crossing borders into Canada and doing extra trips? Wouldn’t Canada have already named an alternate by now if he wasn’t available? I just don’t read into the not being in Vancouver thing too much.

Taso

The photos are gorgeous. Always forget how impressive Olympic ice can be. I didn’t realize athletes could still post from Instagram- I thought I read they were told to avoid using their personal phones and accounts, etc.

Keegan Messing lives in Alaska - wouldn’t he take a direct flight from there instead of crossing borders into Canada and doing extra trips? Wouldn’t Canada have already named an alternate by now if he wasn’t available? I just don’t read into the not being in Vancouver thing too much.
Those flights from Anchorage to Beijing are cargo flights...

jersey1302

I am going to go ahead and assume Keegan is in covid protocol. There are 3 Canadian athletes in protocol right now. Canada is not releasing names of who out of respect for the athletes privacy and preparations etc. Roman will be the long man on the team event for Canada. I feel like because there has been no info about Keegan released, that is likley the reason. Any other valid reason I am quite sure they would of said something already. Keegan doesnt NEED to be there for the team event. If Keegan wasnt competing at all like Kolyada I am sure Canada would of named their alternate already by this point. This is all just my opinion. Disclaimer.. nothing factual. just my two sense lol.

Karen-W

I am going to go ahead and assume Keegan is in ********* protocol. There are 3 Canadian athletes in protocol right now. Canada is not releasing names of who out of respect for the athletes privacy and preparations etc. Roman will be the long man on the team event for Canada. I feel like because there has been no info about Keegan released, that is likley the reason. Any other valid reason I am quite sure they would of said something already. Keegan doesnt NEED to be there for the team event. If Keegan wasnt competing at all like Kolyada I am sure Canada would of named their alternate already by this point. This is all just my opinion. Disclaimer.. nothing factual. just my two sense lol.
It is also possible that they are hoping Keegan will be released before the TE and be able to skate at least one segment. If he can test clear (assuming he is asymptomatic) then there is still time for him to get to the Village and train for a few days.

Notice the ISU/Beijing organizers changed the deadlines for naming participants in the TE segments and moved it back a good 11 hours and it was specifically to allow skaters time to clear C19 protocols/tests.

Sonata

Aren’t the ones who are placed in the covid protocols IN Beijing? People were noticing he didn’t make the plane in Vancouver, which makes it sound like he’s still home in Alaska. Even so, he might have had a high risk contact and waiting out an isolation.

Karen-W

Aren’t the ones who are placed in the ********* protocols IN Beijing? People were noticing he didn’t make the plane in Vancouver, which makes it sound like he’s still home in Alaska. Even so, he might have had a high risk contact and waiting out an isolation.
Initially he planned on leaving Anchorage on the 25th, the flight that left Vancouver with the pairs teams, Schizas, GilPoir and Romsky left on the 28th, IIRC. I think he was going to be on a different travel path from the rest of the team but I'm not positive. If he was, then the skaters in Beijing wouldn't necessarily know if Keegan arrived and was placed into isolation upon arrival.

skategal

Bunny mama
The people the COA knew would need to be placed in isolation upon arrival were sent early to ensure enough time for the processes to unfold and to be cleared in time to compete/officiate etc.

So leaving on Jan 25th would line up with that reasoning.

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
Initially he planned on leaving Anchorage on the 25th, the flight that left Vancouver with the pairs teams, Schizas, GilPoir and Romsky left on the 28th, IIRC. I think he was going to be on a different travel path from the rest of the team but I'm not positive. If he was, then the skaters in Beijing wouldn't necessarily know if Keegan arrived and was placed into isolation upon arrival.
I am not sure as there are pictures of many of those skaters with their Air Canada giant tickets etc . I think it’s more likely he tested positive in the pre tests and is waiting to do his two negative tests as per protocol before he goes as I don’t think anyone wants to be stuck in isolation in Beijing? But we will soon find out. I just hope he makes it out there eventually and is healthy.

Parsley Sage

The people the COA knew would need to be placed in isolation upon arrival were sent early to ensure enough time for the processes to unfold and to be cleared in time to compete/officiate etc.

So leaving on Jan 25th would line up with that reasoning.
The first charter flight for Canadian athletes left from Vancouver on Jan 26th so that lines up as well.

Karen-W

Well, it tells us what we've suspected. Also, it's good news that he's in Canada rather than Anchorage - one has to assume he's in Vancouver. Once he gets the necessary negative tests then he'll be able to hop a flight. And, one also has to assume that Wesley Chiu is also testing and ready to board the a flight to Beijing should Keegan not test negative soon enough.

Mayra

RoseRed

CBC Sports has learned Keegan Messing is still in Canada and awaiting the necessary COVID testing results for travel to Beijing.
Okay, so sounds like at this point he doesn't have the negative tests needed to travel there. Hopefully he'll get them in time for the individual, but I hope they're getting the alternate ready too. Because if Keegan just manages to get his negative tests here, he could still get a positive once he got to Beijing if the tests here are less sensitive.

RoseRed

Well, it tells us what we've suspected. Also, it's good news that he's in Canada rather than Anchorage - one has to assume he's in Vancouver. Once he gets the necessary negative tests then he'll be able to hop a flight. And, one also has to assume that Wesley Chiu is also testing and ready to board the a flight to Beijing should Keegan not test negative soon enough.
Yeah hopefully it's correct that he's in Canada. I'm just always slightly doubtful since SC sometimes lists his training location as Alberta and stuff like that. But I hope it's right.

mackiecat

I would assume the alternate has been going through the Covid process at home and is actively training just in case.

Karen-W

Yeah hopefully it's correct that he's in Canada. I'm just always slightly doubtful since SC sometimes lists his training location as Alberta and stuff like that. But I hope it's right.
Well, would he need a negative PCR test to get into Canada if you drive across the border? If not, it wouldn't be too hard to travel to Seattle and drive to Vancouver and take the tests/wait it out there.

RoseRed

Well, would he need a negative PCR test to get into Canada if you drive across the border? If not, it wouldn't be too hard to travel to Seattle and drive to Vancouver and take the tests/wait it out there.
Yes I think so, unless he could get an exception. I haven't checked the rules super recently, but I know that a month ago Canadians still needed a molecular test to come back into Canada.

mackiecat

A negative PCR test is required to drive to Canada also. Either he is still in the States or he has been in Canada for awhile and subsequently tested positive

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
A negative PCR test is required to drive to Canada also. Either he is still in the States or he has been in Canada for awhile and subsequently tested positive
I would guess he’s in Vancouver training and waiting for a second negative test.

Mayra

CBC says he's in Canada. We have to assume they know the difference between US territories and that of Canadian ones.

I think we're splitting hairs here. The team event announcements cannot come soon enough. :rofl:

SLIVER

Poor guy I read an article last week about how unbelievably excited about the Olympics. He spoke about C at length, how he literally does nothing but go to the rink and the supermarket to stay safe. I’m sure he will be gutted to miss the team event and opening ceremonies but right now just getting there in time for the main event will suffice.
A massive part of the Olympics is the excitement of the build up and anticipation. It’s awful that all these athletes have had such a stressful lead up filled with anxiety. Not to mention getting there and being greeted in hazmat suits everywhere. People are dying all over the world so I guess we all need to keep things in context but it still must be very tough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information