2021/2022 Canadian Men: News and Updates

screech

I agreed with Ted in that practicing with the newer stiff boots probably threw Keegan off when he went back to his regular skates for the actual competition. But I'm insanely impressed that he was able to work his way up to triples and quads in such a short period of time with not only new skates, but new blades as well.

With a fairly poorly skated SP yesterday, I hope the FP today is lights out. Nam seemed pretty out of it during his skate - it seemed like zero effort in between the jumps and no choreography there. And while his speed had seemed better lately, yesterday it seemed reverted to his snail speed of old. It will be interesting to see who pulls through today to make the team. I still think Keegan is safe no matter his placement, seeing as how he's so far above the others that he can be in the lead with a null invalid jump element.

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
I agreed with Ted in that practicing with the newer stiff boots probably threw Keegan off when he went back to his regular skates for the actual competition. But I'm insanely impressed that he was able to work his way up to triples and quads in such a short period of time with not only new skates, but new blades as well.

With a fairly poorly skated SP yesterday, I hope the FP today is lights out. Nam seemed pretty out of it during his skate - it seemed like zero effort in between the jumps and no choreography there. And while his speed had seemed better lately, yesterday it seemed reverted to his snail speed of old. It will be interesting to see who pulls through today to make the team. I still think Keegan is safe no matter his placement, seeing as how he's so far above the others that he can be in the lead with a null invalid jump element.
Nam revealed in an interview after the FS that he had been ill with c0vid and missed quite a bit of training time and had not been back on the ice that long. He had tested negative before coming, of course.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Nam wrote “We will be back stronger” on Instagram.

One more season?

Jammers

To be honest i think it's time for Skate Canada to move on to the younger guys like Wesley and Stephen and even Joseph Phan who are the future of Canadian men's skating. Keegan is going to be 30 and Nam hasn't improved in years and who knows from competition to competition with Roman.

Aaron MB Fan

I am so happy for Roman to have made this Olympic team!! I have watched him for so long and seen so much potential, so I am ecstatic he will have his Olympic experience. His skating is just beautiful to watch and I hope he performs to his full potential in Beijing.

While it's more of a dream, I am praying to the Skate Gods that Roman can have his own "Paul Wylie" type moment and take his years of unfulfilled potential to deliver his absolute best performances at the Olympics. Their stories and skating remind me a bit of one another. While times have changed significantly in depth and difficulty since 1992 meaning his chances to truly have a Wylie type moment and end up on the podium are pretty much non-existent, I can always fantasize :)

Colonel Green

To be honest i think it's time for Skate Canada to move on to the younger guys like Wesley and Stephen and even Joseph Phan who are the future of Canadian men's skating. Keegan is going to be 30 and Nam hasn't improved in years and who knows from competition to competition with Roman.
Ultimately that isn't up to Skate Canada, it's up to the younger guys -- if they want to be ahead of Keegan, then beat him.

pointbleu

Hhhmm, Joseph is 20, Roman 22, Nam 23… Still pretty young by skating standards for men..

screech

I'm glad Gogolev gets to go, and SC is still supporting him. I wonder if he sees it as a step back, though since I think he's been wanting to be seen as a senior now, and hasn't competed junior for a while.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
I'm glad Gogolev gets to go, and SC is still supporting him. I wonder if he sees it as a step back, though since I think he's been wanting to be seen as a senior now, and hasn't competed junior for a while.
I also wonder how high the motivation is for someone who had a top 5 finish at the event 3 seasons ago (same year he won JGPF). I would've liked to see Circelli there and maybe give Stephen a shot at 4CC, but they both got events at the end of the day.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Maybe Gogolev wouldn't have been ready for 4CC. I'm sure he'll be happy to have a chance to get world standing points and improve his season best score. Getting on the senior grand prix next season would be an important step for his career and a good result at junior worlds would help with that. Fingers crossed.

mackiecat

Maybe Gogolev wouldn't have been ready for 4CC. I'm sure he'll be happy to have a chance to get world standing points and improve his season best score. Getting on the senior grand prix next season would be an important step for his career and a good result at junior worlds would help with that. Fingers crossed.
Also would he have tested negative to travel to 4CC on top of his isolation period

Sylvia

TBD
... it doesn't appear that a substitute will be taking his place.
As was mentioned yesterday in the 4CC entries thread in Kiss & Cry, Skate Canada did not enter any men's alternates (such as Conrad Orzel - ETA - even though he placed 9th at Canadians).

Since the WD took place yesterday when Skate Canada published their 4CC press release (where Chiu was included), it might have been too late for an alternate to go had there been an alternate.

In any case, I'm sad Wesley will not get to make his ISU Championship senior debut in Tallinn, but at least he still has Junior Worlds to prepare for.

Last edited:

screech

As was mentioned yesterday in the 4CC entries thread in Kiss & Cry, Skate Canada did not enter any men's alternates (such as Conrad Orzel).

Since the WD took place yesterday when Skate Canada published their 4CC press release (where Chiu was included), it might have been too late for an alternate to go had there been an alternate.

In any case, I'm sad Wesley will not get to make his ISU Championship senior debut in Tallinn, but at least he still has Junior Worlds to prepare for.
Ah. I don't have K&C access. Odd that no alternates were included. Most countries, including Canada, usually make sure to have substitutes listed.
And it is disappointing. I'm wondering if he WD because he's possibly first alternate for the Olympics and doesn't want to risk it? Though who knows Canada's plans for Olympics alternates (AFAIK none have been publicly named).

Skate Talker

I also was initially surprised to see that no alternates were named for 4CC but in a way it makes sense. In reality, the time frame between Canada naming the team and the competition were just way too short. The logistics of getting the team there, particularly with flight uncertainty and any testing requirements, means there just really was no chance they could send someone else unless the skater/team withdrew almost immediately upon being named.

Other years when they named substitutes there was at least a bit more time and much less uncertainty.

livetoskate

Anchorage Daily News Q&A with Keegan Messing by Marc Lester who also took the photos (Jan. 19):
Great article. Clicking on the link re: Keegan's great great grandfather, we learn that, "In 1977, 100 years after his first arrival, Canada named a peak for Manzo Nagano in British Columbia’s Coast Mountains, near Rivers Inlet where many Japanese pioneered the coastal commercial fishery." As a random aside, Keegan's skating sort of reminds me of Nobunari Oda with his speed, compact stature, & spring into his jumps.

puglover

Sylvia

TBD
Roman Sadovsky will be on Skate Ontario's YT channel tonight (eta) just after 6 pm ET: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRH2Ib_fz1I
Skate Ontario Presents: #3Turn3 is happening at a special time this week: Thursday, January 20 at 7 6 pm ET when we will be chatting with Canadian Men’s Silver Medallist Roman Sadvovsky. If you remember, Roman earned an extra spot at a fall qualifying event for Canada’s Olympic team competing in Beijing, and now he will get to use that spot for himself. We want you to join us to wish Roman well and bring along your questions and comments.

Last edited:

seabm7

Love this interview, listened to the whole 40+ minutes ! He’s so personable and I liked getting insight into his training strategy leading up to Olympics. Sounds like we won’t be getting any Romsky YouTube updates while in Beijing.

Yes. YouTube is blocked in China.

shutterbug

Roman was also recently interviewed on CTV’s Your Morning:

His response to the question about visualizing himself with a gold medal had me :rofl:. Figure skaters are such self aware athletes. My hope for him is to have the Paige Lawrence Olympic experience - she and Rudi had no chance of winning a medal of course, but she soaked up every second of being an Olympian. I thought she was going to have to be dragged off the ice after they finished their FP. :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information