2020 U.S. Synchronized Skating Championships Feb. 26th - 29th

just tuned in

So, what do we like? Soft and flowy? Bouncy and energetic? Dramatic and intense? Tongue-in-cheek game show themes with Don Pardo voiceovers?

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
So, what do we like? Soft and flowy? Bouncy and energetic? Dramatic and intense? Tongue-in-cheek game show themes with Don Pardo voiceovers?

I like bouncy and energetic! Well, I've missed 30 minutes because I got eastern time mixed up with central time. Did I miss much? lol!

I see I'm just in time to watch the Zamboni. That's always exciting! :rofl:

just tuned in

I like bouncy and energetic! Well, I've missed 30 minutes because I got eastern time mixed up with central time. Did I miss much? lol!

I see I'm just in time to watch the Zamboni. That's always exciting! :rofl:
You missed Skyliners having a fall and a child being very disappointed about it. :-(

ETA: The livestream allows users to go backwards. You can catch up on what you missed at the next Zam break.

Simone411

Well, I'm seeing the video now, but no sound. Are you experiencing that? Not sure what's going on with that.

Simone411

Finally got sound. I had to refresh the page. I'm now hearing Queen! We Will Rock You! That'll work! lol!

Simone411

I just now get sound back and the Zamboni's out there again. They should call it the Synchronized Zamboni Championships. I give the Zamboni 40 for presentation and 40 for technical. Total 80.00 Currently 1st place.

Simone411

So the Junior Free Skate begins at 5:47 eastern which is 4:47 central my time. I had something to take care of and missed the Senior Short program. I plan on watching this Junior Free Skate, and I'm not letting anything interrupt me regarding that. I'm not taking anymore phone calls, etc. the rest of the day.

Simone411

Is this still the Senior Short program that I'm seeing? If it is, then I haven't missed all of it.

Debbie S

I loved that skate by DC Edge! Too bad about the fall at the end.
Yes, that was too bad. A clubmate is on that team. They've had a good season, including finishing 3rd at Britannia Cup. They were 7th last year; hopefully next season they'll get another int'l.

And what is with this "Music is My First Love", or whatever it's called, horridness? I remember the Austrian pair team did this a few years back and I would get up and do something when they skated.

Willin

Hayden teams have a history of choosing bad music amongst the rare but highly memorable very, very good selections. They're also probably the only synchro teams in the US to get overscored by reputation at Nationals, which the Lexettes very much were here. Their placement in the SP reflected how weak they are this year, and while I think it's fair to have them lead the FS, it should've only been by max 5 points.

On another note, good to see Skyliners Junior/Senior living up to my expectations and choosing more warhorse/broadway. Their SYTYCD program may have been a hot mess, but maybe they can do a Six program with fab costuming to match (because I envy all of their dresses every year). Honestly if they want to do Broadway every season there's plenty of popular musicals with great music they can choose that aren't straight up warhorse: Hamilton, Hadestown, Beetlejuice, Dear Evan Hansen, Come From Away, etc.

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
It was a lot of fun to watch a skating competition where I knew next to nothing so everyone looked great.

I was so mesmerized by the swirly skirts I had no idea if the teams were in unison.

Willin

Honestly this year I'm just wondering if we're watching a changing of guard.

About 8 years ago now I heard Miami was going to have recruiting problems that would affect their ability to be competitive, and they didn't exactly try to get ahead of it with Adrian going aggressive (and frankly being the better choice for a lot of skaters), but they looked downright awful this year in the FS. They at least kept speed in the SP, but their FS was bad. Their collegiate team was third by a mile - a complete shock. And Hayden looked uncharacteristically awful in their FS with falls, a dumb error in the twizzles, a dumb error on the spiral sequence, and a seemingly choreographed lack of a lift group (an injury? but that wouldn't make sense given they have alternates that could take the spot). Adrian should've, by all means, beaten Miami here in Senior as they had in collegiate.

I maintain what I've said in previous seasons: Hayden may stay on top for now, but they're going to serious need to step it up if they want to stay the unanimous number one every year. Skyliners would already be beating them if USFS and the international judges didn't give Hayden reputation points that the Skyliners will soon be earning (and if Skyliners didn't have 2 falls and some bobbles). Adrian's also on the rise, and I expect they'll be a serious factor in years to come, if not in the top 2, at least in the top 3.

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
Wow- so much drama.

When a Haydenette falls, she takes it really hard. The Skyliners fell twice and didn't seem to care nearly as much (maybe because two of them fell). And I really liked how the Skyliners lifted the guy up.

The team that skated last (and came in third) seemed (to my completely ignorant eye) to have some problem with their final circular pattern; it looked sloppy and underrehearsed to me (which since I don't know anything could mean it was done perfectly). And one of their skaters didn't join the others in the final posing for the camera and waiting for the score.

I really liked every team's death spiral move. I do think yesterday had more swirly skirts. Oh, and I liked how teams unified their hair styles.

I'm so happy I'll be at Synchro Worlds. It was great watching it on TV, but a lot of times you could only see half the skaters. At the arena, I still will won't know anything but I'll be able to see everybody.

just tuned in

I maintain what I've said in previous seasons: Hayden may stay on top for now, but they're going to serious need to step it up if they want to stay the unanimous number one every year. Skyliners would already be beating them if USFS and the international judges didn't give Hayden reputation points that the Skyliners will soon be earning (and if Skyliners didn't have 2 falls and some bobbles). Adrian's also on the rise, and I expect they'll be a serious factor in years to come, if not in the top 2, at least in the top 3.

I thought Adrian should have placed higher, for sure.

Cayuse

I'm so happy I'll be at Synchro Worlds. It was great watching it on TV, but a lot of times you could only see half the skaters. At the arena, I still will won't know anything but I'll be able to see everybody.
Lucky you going to Synchro Worlds! I attended one in Colorado Springs a few years ago. Being in the rink is incredible with so many skaters creating the vision. Timing is so important to every move! Bring your earplugs because when the performing team's rooting section is near you it will be deafening! Such a different feel from single, pairs and dance skating events. Enjoy!

annie720

Lucky you going to Synchro Worlds! I attended one in Colorado Springs a few years ago. Being in the rink is incredible with so many skaters creating the vision. Timing is so important to every move! Bring your earplugs because when the performing team's rooting section is near you it will be deafening! Such a different feel from single, pairs and dance skating events. Enjoy!
My first exposure to Synchro as at Worlds in Colorado Springs! :) I had no idea what to expect and my husband and I were both blown away. When I was watching yesterday, I kept thinking that I needed something bigger than my 42" screen to take it all in, but I don't think that would matter. You really need to see it live. We thought about going to Lake Placid but the timing didn't work out. It should be a blast for those who are going.

Yazmeen

All we are saying, is give peace a chance
So thrilled for Adrian Collegiate taking the silver! I’ve known one of the skaters for several years, and she has to be over the moon today!

tapdancer10

And Hayden looked uncharacteristically awful in their FS with falls, a dumb error in the twizzles, a dumb error on the spiral sequence, and a seemingly choreographed lack of a lift group (an injury? but that wouldn't make sense given they have alternates that could take the spot).

One of the lifters for the group that didn't execute the lift fell as the groups were forming; the fall was tagged to the element. She basically fell into the boards and so far off pattern that it was impossible to salvage. I was impressed that they'd thought to consider, plan, and practice an alternative if a lift didn't go up: it looked much better than three skaters simply appearing confused while doing nothing in the middle of the other group lifts.

Willin

@tapdancer10 That lift group did the same thing sans fall at other competitions this season, so they were never meant to lift the skater. It's part of the choreography of the program that there's no lift for that group.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information