2020 U.S. Figure Skating Championships will return to Greensboro Coliseum in North Carolina

Carolla5501

LOL, no, I didn't see that. What year/event was it?

I don’t remember exactly which Nationals it was but it used to be an infamous moment on here. I guess a lot of people who remember have left

It might have been either Nashville or Atlanta, but I’m not 100% sure

Debbie S

Ah, well, I didn't attend either of those. My first Nats was 2001, and that was just for the weekend. 2002 was my first all-event Nats, but I haven't gone every year. I think my total, including this year, is 12. And 03 and 16 Worlds. I can't remember any knitting, but that doesn't mean there wasn't any.

Last edited:

jkl

I don’t remember exactly which Nationals it was but it used to be an infamous moment on here. I guess a lot of people who remember have left

I remember it! The woman was sitting on the first row with a ball of yarn on the boards. It rolled off onto the ice and a Senior Man had to go get it for her. He had not started his program. The audience roared, the woman was embarrassed and the usher took her yarn.

Carolla5501

I’m pretty sure the woman had been storing her yarn on the wall in front of her seat. Which is why it rolled out into the ice

shan

I remember it! The woman was sitting on the first row with a ball of yarn on the boards. It rolled off onto the ice and a Senior Man had to go get it for her. He had not started his program. The audience roared, the woman was embarrassed and the usher took her yarn.

My favorite bit of this story "and the usher took her yarn" :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

peibeck

Simply looking
I think USFS is trying to show the audience that this is an 'exciting' sport by providing actions during breaks that people might find boring. (NOTE: I said "trying" not "succeeding")

The other part that Rusty plays that is actually important is promoting the sponsors. I think we can't overlook the importance of sponsors and if one of their requirements is that "promote" it to audience, Rusty probably is cheaper than losing a sponsor.

I think the DJ is fine. Usually he plays a wide variety of music from several decades and young people in the audience really seem to enjoy him. And heaven knows, the sport needs to appeal to younger generations!

As for Rusty... meh. He was refreshing the first year. Now it's like watching 10 years (or more) of watching a rerun on television.

Anyway... safe travels to everyone going to Greensboro. Worlds ate all my money, and I'm STILL waiting to find out if my time off for that is aporoved. :drama:

Debbie S

OK, now I do remember sitting near someone once, in Greensboro in 2011, who was knitting. But this was about 15 rows up, so no chance of it rolling on the ice.

natsulian

The Junior ladies' short and free programs are packed. When was the last time that happened?

Yuri

Looks like they aren’t selling behind kiss and cry, wonder why

Most likely the seats behind Kiss & Cry are reserved for the chaperones and skaters, as well as for the media. Back in the day the skaters/chaperones often ended up in the nosebleeds, so it's nice that they appear to be seated in the lower bowl given their importance to the event. Near center ice there should be seats reserved for USFSA officials and VIPs.

ilovepaydays

It might be worth it to call them - I did this morning and she said she would mail my shuttle pass to me. Nice customer service.

skipaway

If someone wants to tweet USFS or email them at [email protected] to ask the for the schedule, they might post it. Sometimes all it takes is a nudge. I've bugged them too many times over the years for it, so I'd prefer someone else do it. :p
Got a response back from my inquiry. They are finalizing it with the referees and will be posted later this week.😀

DreamSkates

I believe that all practices in the "practice" rink are open and free to the public. The practices in the competition arena are open only to all event ticket holders. If I am wrong, please let me know.
You're right - that is what I read re: tickets.

JeffClair1979

I wanna move to France...
I will not be using my 1/26 men’s free or gala tickets- free to a good home! Let me know if anyone wants them :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information