2020 U.S. Figure Skating Championships will return to Greensboro Coliseum in North Carolina

Sylvia

TBD
Breaking news: https://www.greensboro.com/sports/r...cle_305ef3ca-05d3-5398-b269-99719abe848f.html

"Ticket packages for all events are on sale today at ncskate2020.com. Weekend ticket packages and individual tickets will go on sale in 2019."

ETA the article mistakenly mentions the levels below junior and the listed dates are January 20-26, but the ticket website is correct:
"Join us again, or for the first time, in January, 2020 for the nation’s most prestigious figure skating event. It promises to be a memorable skating championship crowning the best in ladies, men’s, pairs and ice dancing competitions at the senior and junior levels of U.S. Figure Skating."

I assume USFS' press release will follow... ETA post #6 below:
USFS put out their press release: https://usfsa.org/story?id=91979&type=media

ETA: Italicized the info about the HP camp, for those curious.

Champions will be crowned in ladies, men's, pairs and ice dance at the championship and junior levels of the U.S. Figure Skating competitive structure. The National High Performance Developmental Team Camp for juvenile, intermediate and novice athletes will be held in nearby Morrisville, North Carolina, Jan. 26–29, 2020.

Last edited:

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
While I'm happy for those who might be purchasing these as holiday gifts, the timing couldn't be worse for me. I don't want to commit until I see what Montreal will be costing me. I think I'll hold off and see what our awesome Tickets for Sale/Wanted section has to share.

Theoreticalgirl

your faves are problematic
USFS put out their press release:

https://usfsa.org/story?id=91979&type=media

GREENSBORO, NORTH CAROLINA TO HOST 2020 U.S. FIGURE SKATING CHAMPIONSHIPS

(11/27/18) – U.S. Figure Skating today announced the selection of Greensboro, North Carolina, as the host city for the 2020 U.S. Figure Skating Championships, January 20-26, 2020. The Greensboro Coliseum Complex will again serve as the host venue. This marks the third time that Greensboro has been chosen to host the U.S. Championships in the last decade (2011, 2015, 2020).

The annual event, held since 1914, is the nation's most prestigious figure skating event, with past champions including Michelle Kwan, Kristi Yamaguchi, Brian Boitano and Scott Hamilton. Champions will be crowned in ladies, men's, pairs and ice dance at the championship and junior levels of the U.S. Figure Skating competitive structure. The National High Performance Developmental Team Camp for juvenile, intermediate and novice athletes will be held in nearby Morrisville, North Carolina, Jan. 26–29, 2020.

“Greensboro did an outstanding job in hosting our U.S. Championships in 2011 and 2015,” U.S. Figure Skating Executive Director David Raith said. “Our skaters and our fans had high praise for the local organizing committee and how they worked to make our marquee event special. We look forward to returning to Greensboro.”

All-Event Ticket Packages for the 2020 U.S. Figure Skating Championships go on sale today. Weekend Ticket Packages and individual tickets will go on sale in 2019.

“We are excited to be selected to host the U.S. Figure Skating Championships again in 2020,” said Hill Carrow, chairman of North Carolina 2020, the local organizing committee for the event. “We will be working to top our excellent ratings as a previous host. In particular, we will be focused on attracting large and enthusiastic crowds of spectators to support the outstanding U.S. Figure Skating athletes who are among the best figure skaters in the world.”

The 2011 U.S. Championships marked the first time that the event was held in North Carolina in the competition’s almost-100-year history. For the event in 2015, the Greensboro Coliseum Complex unveiled a $24 million renovation that included new seating, a huge video board and new restrooms. SportTravel magazine named the 2015 U.S. Championships "Sports Event of the Year" and "Best Amateur Multi-Sport or Multi-Discipline Event.”

The 2020 U.S. Championships will be broadcast live on NBC and streamed live on the Figure Skating Pass on NBC Sports Gold. Recent U.S. Championships were held in Saint Paul, Minnesota (2016), Kansas City, Missouri (2017) and San Jose, California (2018). The 2019 GEICO U.S. Figure Skating Championships are set for Jan. 18-27, 2019, in Detroit.

To purchase All-Event Ticket Packages, to receive 2020 U.S. Figure Skating Championships news and ticket alerts, and for more information, visit www.ncskate2020.com.

ETA: Italicized the info about the HP camp, for those curious.

sk9tingfan

Would you mind sharing what displeased you?

The first time, we noted the lack of restaurants near the arena if one did not have a car. The one, a barbeque restaurant required that you cross a heavily trafficked 6 lane road, taking one's life into one's hands. In fact, a fan did so and was hit, fracturing her leg. The shuttle buses were not optimally run either

The second time, I rented a car and did not have to deal with the above issue. Both the first and second time, I paid for front row seats and was put in a folding chair. The second time, there was almost no room to step by those seated with the distinct possibility of losing one's balance and pitching over the boards onto the ice.

Just another observation, Greensboro driver are not used to pedestrians having right of way when crossing at intersections. The times at which we walked from our hotel to restaurants near by were very dangerous as well.

mposl

I just ordered my tickets. I went both other times Greensboro hosted and they did a great job. Luckily I live close enough to drive. I will be anxious to hear about hotels, parking pass etc...

livetoskate

I'm glad because it's an easy drive from my home, and we won't have to worry about blizzards in Greensboro. Hotels around there are pretty cheap too. But you're right, there aren't many dining options around there, and there's no public transportation there either. Most people will have to fly into RDU, rent cars, and drive over an hour west to Greensboro.

skatesindreams

Thank you for sharing your experience, sk9tingfan.

I hope that there will be more restaurant options near the arena by 2020.

Did you report your seating issues to the organizers?
This is the kind of thing they need to know, in order to solve these problems.

DreamSkates

Will they be offering tickets for senior level only? I think the last 2 times I purchased tickets for Thurs-Sun.

DreamSkates

Thank you for sharing your experience.

On the website for tickets, it states the front row seats are padding, folding chairs. Otherwise they don't have a row of seats that near the ice.
The coliseum should consider shuttles that go around to area hotels and restaurants.

sk9tingfan

Thank you for sharing your experience, sk9tingfan.

Caveat emptor.... it's how the arena sets things up. Had I known that this would be the case both times upfront, I probably would have requested a seat several rows up

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
I'm glad because it's an easy drive from my home, and we won't have to worry about blizzards in Greensboro. Hotels around there are pretty cheap too. But you're right, there aren't many dining options around there, and there's no public transportation there either. Most people will have to fly into RDU, rent cars, and drive over an hour west to Greensboro.

I've flown into Greenaboro both times for nationals with no problems and took taxis to the hotel. Glad to see Lyft operates in Greensboro now.

The shuttle from the official hotel to the arena always worked well for me too and was worth the cost. Between the hotel restaurants, the mall next to the hotel, and the reasonable options at the arena, I never had any trouble finding food.

skatesindreams

I've flown into Greensboro both times for nationals with no problems...
As did I.
However, finding accessible transportation from the airport was very expensive,
Hopefully, there will be more options available.

The shuttle from the official hotel to the arena always worked well for me too and was worth the cost. Between the hotel restaurants, the mall next to the hotel, and the reasonable options at the arena, I never had any trouble finding food.
This!
The General Manager of the hotel assisted with problem solving when needed, making my experience much easier; for which I was grateful.

Firedancer

I've flown into Greenaboro both times for nationals with no problems and took taxis to the hotel. Glad to see Lyft operates in Greensboro now.

Which hotel did you stay at?

aftershocks

Banned Member
How much are all-event tickets by now? I'll have to research this venue, as I haven't been to a live Nationals for a long time.

Debbie S

I plan to be there. It's close enough for me to drive and the hotel is reasonably priced. True, there aren't a lot of restaurants around the arena but I always ate at either the hotel or the arena and was fine. I thought the shuttles were well-run, although IIRC, I think one of the hotels on the shuttle route didn't have the same level of service the rest of us did. The only hiccup in my experience was trying to explain to a volunteer that first Saturday that the "silver" shuttle was not just for those with credentials, my "silver shuttle pass" could be used, b/c it was, you know, the "silver shuttle", with the name on the door. After 3 go-rounds, she let me on. And there was also my tickets getting lost in the mail, but hopefully, that won't happen this time (I wish they'd just go to online ordering and email, but oh well).

A.H.Black

I see there are still no hotels within walking distance. 1.4 miles is the closest I see - doable, but too long a walk to do several times a day. And, if I remember right, it's not an easy walk - busy, wide streets etc.

maureenfarone

I thought Greensboro in 2011 was very well done. I was not nearly as happy with the experience in 2015. The shuttle pass was $125 (as I recall) and the service to the Hampton Inn which I booked through the website USFS was much less satisfactory than what was offered in 2011. In 2011 the shuttle ran every 25/30 minutes. In 2015 the shuttle to my hotel and the Double Tree across the street only ran once and hour. In 2015 if I wanted to see early practices, I had to take (at attitional cost) a taxi. So, I will think about this but am not really sure what I will do.

kwanette

Fetalized since 1998
I thought Greensboro in 2011 was very well done. I was not nearly as happy with the experience in 2015. The shuttle pass was $125 (as I recall) and the service to the Hampton Inn which I booked through the website USFS was much less satisfactory than what was offered in 2011. In 2011 the shuttle ran every 25/30 minutes. In 2015 the shuttle to my hotel and the Double Tree across the street only ran once and hour. In 2015 if I wanted to see early practices, I had to take (at attitional cost) a taxi. So, I will think about this but am not really sure what I will do.

Agree re the two experiences. In 2011 the shuttle ran every 20 min and it was a steal. Screwed up in 2015.Depending on shuttle price, I may just cab it.

peibeck

Simply looking
How much are all-event tickets by now? I'll have to research this venue, as I haven't been to a live Nationals for a long time.

They range from $850 for front row (opposite judges) to $295. $695, $555, and $420 are the three other options.

If you click on the order tickets form it will five you an arena "map" and the priced sections.

Personally, I'll have to think on this. Worlds is my must for 2020. Anything else in the '19-20 season will just be "gravy," and depend on the budget.

sk9tingfan

$850 for front row, $695 for the first few (5?) rows and $555 and $420 (ends) for the rest of the lower bowl. $295 for second level.

From their form
__ # of $850 FRONT ROW All-Event Packages $_______
__ # of $700 All-Event Ticket Packages $_______
__ # of $550 All-Event Ticket Packages $_______
__ # of $400 All-Event Ticket Packages $_______
__ # of $295 All-Event Ticket Packages $_______

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information