2020-21 Canadian Women News & Updates

fsfann

Super proud of the effort put forth by Madeline today... No, it wasn't perfect, but it was very respectable and she has shown she can skate well under pressure (not just here, but in the past as well). She is the (Present and) future for Canadian Ladies for sure....

puglover

Two young ladies after a very disappointing season, went out and bravely represented Canada. Madeline was more successful, for sure, but they both should be deserving of our respect and appreciation. This is, at its best, a very brutal sport for young women. Even the ones we thought were okay, now admit to eating disorders and self doubt. I, in particular, hate the term "head case". The pressure is unreal, especially in the current situation with barely teens jumping quads. None of these girls are getting rich, in fact, many families go into debt to finance this love their child has. In my experience, nobody is harder on themselves than a figure skater.

screech

Madeline seemed tense today and a little tired by the end. But a respectable debut nonetheless. Cant help be wonder though how much her lack of experience played a factor. Without so much as a junior Grand Prix under her belt, this had to be a pretty intense experience. She showed some fight through a tough skate and never gave up on the jumps.
Lack of experience, but after the SP, knowing that any hope of having 2 ladies at the Olympics lies on your shoulders.

That's why I think some think Gabby's presence may have helped. Though she may have skated crappy, Gabby likely could have qualified for the FP, which would have taken some of that pressure off Madeline, and could have helped her make top 12.

In any case, for someone with basically zero experience, to finish in 13th is absolutely wonderful, especially with the pressure she must have been feeling. Skate Canada - make sure to do better now and help her out!

euterpe

Madeline needs to work on her spins and footwork, too, not just on jumps. She got 3 on two of her 3 jumps and L3 on footwork. That just gives points away, and the advantage goes to other skaters who can do L4 on all the non-jump elements. Also, having high caliber non-jump elements can help keep the score competitive when a jump or two is off.

Sylvia

TBD
Madeline seemed tense today and a little tired by the end. But a respectable debut nonetheless. Cant help be wonder though how much her lack of experience played a factor. Without so much as a junior Grand Prix under her belt, this had to be a pretty intense experience. She showed some fight through a tough skate and never gave up on the jumps.

Here's what was published via ISU's Quick Quotes after Schizas' FS:

(On her World Championships debut experience) I've learned a lot this week about competing at an (ISU) Championships, which is obviously something I've never done. I think I had really high expectations, especially after the (9th place) short program, knowing that I wanted to be in the top 10 to help Canada keep a 2nd spot for the Olympic Games. I was really prepared for this event and I think that's what enabled me to skate as well as I did. I've learned a lot about how hard it is to keep going through the week and how to manage the pacing of such a long event.
(On her training goals in the summer) I'm hoping to add a triple Axel to my repertoire for next season. I want to add to my short program because I think that's where I can add the most points to my base value.
(On her college plans) I've been accepted to everywhere I've applied and so I'm just deciding where I'd like to attend and my plan is to start to part-time in the fall of 2021.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Honestly before worlds I thought even securing one Olympic spot would be a success. Schizas' amazing skate in the short gave me hope and for 48 hours I thought two spots were possible. I think she did a great job considering. Hopefully the upcoming season will be more "normal" and she'll be able to get the international experience she needs to get to that next level and hopefully secure two spots for 2023 and beyond.

Japanfan

Madeline needs to work on her spins and footwork, too, not just on jumps. She got 3 on two of her 3 jumps and L3 on footwork. That just gives points away, and the advantage goes to other skaters who can do L4 on all the non-jump elements. Also, having high caliber non-jump elements can help keep the score competitive when a jump or two is off.

I'm sure she and her coaches know what work she needs to do, and she will do it.

IMO she has the 'wow' factor - that is something that really can't be learned, although it can certainly be bolstered by confidence.

Last edited:

mackiecat

Her spins are normally very good and her coaching team is known for strong spins. Probably just first timer nerves

Sylvia

TBD
Madeline Schizas is Skate Ontario’s “Skater in Residence” for the month of April:

honey

So what can you all tell me about Allison Schumacher’s coach? Damn.

Can anyone slip him my phone number?
Her coach is Joey Russell. He won the bronze medal at 2011 Canadians.

I thought Schumacher looked pretty good here. She had more energy in her skating in the free than she usually does. Lovely arms throughout. The under rotations are still a problem and I can’t see that going away unless she can get more lift in her jumps. But I thought she put out some solid programs for herself here.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
From some of the comments on FSU during WTT, it seems Schumacher gained a few fans. I've made it to secret she's my favourite so I was happy to read that. Obviously under rotations are a problem and I don't know why she isn't going for seven triples in her free skate. But I'm looking forward to seeing her develop the next quad. I mean I think Schizas is the favourite for the Olympic spot and our best shot at getting two spots again in 2023. Hopefully they can push each other.

There weren't that many official competitions this year, but they updated the season best list already and Schumacher's total from WTT puts her in 21st out of 52 skaters on the list. Who knows how the ISU will determined grand prix spots for next season, but that ranking would normally guarantee her a spot, so well done for her.

Sonata

Go Barb! Good for Schumacher for not choking after doubling her lutz. This is only her second senior international, yes? And after not getting any live competitions all year and chasing solid ice time (like most of the Canadian team), I’d say this competition was a success. I wish the announcer had not implied during her SP and FP that she used to skate for China :wall:

I think Madeline is still the definite favourite for the Olympic spot. I look forward to watching both in the next few years.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Go Barb! Good for Schumacher for not choking after doubling her lutz. This is only her second senior international, yes? And after not getting any live competitions all year and chasing solid ice time (like most of the Canadian team), I’d say this competition was a success. I wish the announcer had not implied during her SP and FP that she used to skate for China :wall:

I think Madeline is still the definite favourite for the Olympic spot. I look forward to watching both in the next few years.

Agree. And having just seen worlds two weeks ago I am even more impressed with Madeline at her speed on the ice and her power in her jumps.

Canada only has one lady for the Olympics and also for worlds? Madeline was 13th this year at worlds so does that mean one or two for next worlds?

skatingguy

decently
Agree. And having just seen worlds two weeks ago I am even more impressed with Madeline at her speed on the ice and her power in her jumps.

Canada only has one lady for the Olympics and also for worlds? Madeline was 13th this year at worlds so does that mean one or two for next worlds?
One

WanderlustTO

Honestly before worlds I thought even securing one Olympic spot would be a success. Schizas' amazing skate in the short gave me hope and for 48 hours I thought two spots were possible. I think she did a great job considering. Hopefully the upcoming season will be more "normal" and she'll be able to get the international experience she needs to get to that next level and hopefully secure two spots for 2023 and beyond.
In my mind, 2 spots wasn't happening - I just didn't want us to get blanked. I'm fine with the one spot.
Watching the technical level of the top skaters I really am concerned about our future in the event - but short term, we have our sport next year. I will not complain.

Sonata

In my mind, 2 spots wasn't happening - I just didn't want us to get blanked. I'm fine with the one spot.
Watching the technical level of the top skaters I really am concerned about our future in the event - but short term, we have our sport next year. I will not complain.
I think Schizas did well, there was a lot of pressure considering she had almost no senior experience and was chasing ice this year.

Btw love your avatar, I do miss Josee Chouinard. Reminds me of this recent article on her, with a lovely photo of her skating outdoors, and another photo with her daughter, Fiona Bombardier skating in the background.

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
I think Schizas did well, there was a lot of pressure considering she had almost no senior experience and was chasing ice this year.

Btw love your avatar, I do miss Josee Chouinard. Reminds me of this recent article on her, with a lovely photo of her skating outdoors, and another photo with her daughter, Fiona Bombardier skating in the background.
Oh Josee!! I miss her! She was always one I really enjoyed watching.

Sonata

Oh Josee!! I miss her! She was always one I really enjoyed watching.
And look at her, still fashionable with her scarf! Love that anecdote about her daughter finding out about her career due to an Internet search on Karen Magnussen. I know that article says it irritates her when people compare her daughter’s skating to hers, but I’m secretly looking forward to seeing Josee in the audience during competitions with Rod Black voiceover.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information