2020-21 Canadian Women News & Updates

Marco

Well done Maddi. She did the best she could and was rewarded for it. It is highly possible that Sasha T and perhaps even Satoko would rebound in the free and the scores are already quite close all around, so she must not lose focus if she aims to stay in top ten.

Emily skated exactly how I predicted she would skate and scored/placed exactly how I thought she would. She was never going to get the PCS even when she was clean, and any mistake would bury her, and they did. So much for Skate Canada being behind her these 2 years. Time to wake up. That said, perhaps picking her over Maddi last year really got Maddi hungry. Skate Canada really didn't have better options. Alicia taking the second half of the season off (possibly betting on Worlds not happening?!) is very unfortunate, but even she with a clean 3toe3toe may not have placed very high and most likely be in the 58-60 mix.

Last edited:

Colonel Green

Even though she finished third at 2020 nationals her talent was so obvious it should have sent up screaming red flags to Skate Canada. Instead they focused on hoping a particular someone would get back to their former state.
I'm not sure what you're talking about here. Post-2020 nationals Daleman was never in the mix for major assignments.

tony

The older, the crankier
Well done Maddi. She did the best she could and was rewarded for it. It is highly possible that Sasha T and perhaps even Satoko would rebound in the free and the scores are already quite close all around, so she must not lose focus if she aims to stay in top ten.

Emily skated exactly how I predicted she would skate and scored/placed exactly how I thought she would. She was never going to get the PCS even when she was clean, and any mistake would bury her, and they did. So much for Skate Canada being behind her these 2 years. That said, perhaps picking her over Maddi last year really got Maddi hungry.
I actually think the judges were fairly generous with Bausback regarding the PCS. She's not a bad skater, but she's just not at the level to compete internationally as a senior yet with any serious results. Who knows what Daleman would've done, and if anything, it may make Emily go back and really try to work on the basics and refinement that holds her back.

And @Colonel Green - according to who, exactly? From everything I have heard, Daleman was in serious consideration for the second Worlds spot but wasn't landing her 3+3 with any consistency. There were no plans for major events post-2020 Nats, so it's not like Skate Canada left her out of anything. They still were willing to give her the chance if she produced, but Emily came along and made her case in the videos and Gabby did not.

Colonel Green

So much for Skate Canada being behind her these 2 years. Time to wake up.
I think Emily's long-term potential is questionable, but it's not unreasonable she had fed support in recent years; she placed sixth at a JGP (the best result for a Canadian lady in several years at the time) and is one of the few with the full complement of standard ladies' triples and a semi-decent track record with them. And she did win nationals.

Marco

I actually think the judges were fairly generous with Bausback regarding the PCS. She's not a bad skater, but she's just not at the level to compete internationally as a senior yet with any serious results. Who knows what Daleman would've done, and if anything, it may make Emily go back and really try to work on the basics and refinement that holds her back.
I agree that her PCS of high 6s were already very generous. But at this range, she can't afford mistakes. There were some other ladies who received the same PCS range but scored much higher TES to make the FS. She received higher TES than Satoko but Satoko's PCS held her up to 16th whereas Emily didn't make the FS.

Perhaps I am still stuck in the Kevin Reynolds / Mira Leung mindset, but none of the top Canadian Joanne Mcleod students I know have been known to improve their weaknesses enough to become more competitive and break through.

*apologies I was amending my post while you quoted me.

Colonel Green

And @Colonel Green - according to who, exactly? From everything I have heard, Daleman was in serious consideration for the second Worlds spot but wasn't landing her 3+3 with any consistency. There were no plans for major events post-2020 Nats, so it's not like Skate Canada left her out of anything. They still were willing to give her the chance if she produced, but Emily came along and made her case in the videos and Gabby did not.
That was in reference to last season.

This season Daleman was obviously in contention. She placed third at Challenge, she warranted consideration on that basis by any fair standard.

Marco

I think Emily's long-term potential is questionable, but it's not unreasonable she had fed support in recent years; she placed sixth at a JGP (the best result for a Canadian lady in several years at the time) and is one of the few with the full complement of standard ladies' triples and a semi-decent track record with them. And she did win nationals.
And proceeded to place last out of all 3 Canadian ladies at 4CCs, and couldn't get her TES mins until her last attempt. Placed a distant 8th in the virtual comp.

Colonel Green

And proceeded to place last out of all 3 Canadian ladies at 4CCs, and couldn't get her TES mins until her last attempt. Placed a distant 8th in the virtual comp.
Yes, and? She’s hardly (unfortunately) alone amongst her peers in having a number of disastrous competitions under her belt, and has more highlights Egan most (again, unfortunately; the field is meagre). She got the most recent assignment by looking good in monitoring when her rivals evidently didn’t.

Marco

Yes, and? She’s hardly (unfortunately) alone amongst her peers in having a number of disastrous competitions under her belt, and has more highlights Egan most (again, unfortunately; the field is meagre). She got the most recent assignment by looking good in monitoring when her rivals evidently didn’t.
Well you were listing all the reasons why the Fed should support her, and I was listing the opposite.

greenapple

Daleman was definitely still under consideration for the Worlds spot after Challenge. I heard she was unable to land a triple-triple at a later monitoring session and that was when SC went with Bausback.

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
Daleman was definitely still under consideration for the Worlds spot after Challenge. I heard she was unable to land a triple-triple at a later monitoring session and that was when SC went with Bausback.
Daleman is rumoured to be going to the world team trophy and start her goal towatd fighting for the olympic spot next year. Her instagram displays her triple triples but the reality is Maddie does triple lutz triple toe. But if we manage to qualify a skater for Nebelhorn for a second spot it will be Gabby lobbying for it. But we have other teenagers now with more technic

puglover

I respect your opinions. I have to say, though, my heart really goes out to Emily. Her win at Nationals was surely blunted by all that followed. I know she wasn't her best at challenge but the video of her short program from monitoring was clean and skated with good emotion. She was so excited to be selected for Worlds, I am sure she is crushed not to make it to the long. Personally, I think it is cruel to have skaters travel half way across the world to skate for 2 minutes. I don't really understand the point of not letting everyone skate the long unless it is money based. I also think most skaters are well aware of the areas they are weak - it is just not an easy feat to fix them. As far as Gabby, if she had skated a short like she did for challenge she would not have likely made it into the free skate either. That could have been devastating for her.

AngieNikodinovLove

Perhaps I am still stuck in the Kevin Reynolds / Mira Leung mindset, but none of the top Canadian Joanne Mcleod students I know have been known to improve their weaknesses enough to become more competitive and break through.

Funny you mention that, I was thinking the exact same thing as I was watching her at the boards yesterday

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
Emily put in a good try, but she would benefit from a change in coaching and a better choreographer too. It didn't feel very polished.

Side snark: what is up with all the messy hairstyles at Worlds? Hairspray, anyone?

screech

Great performance by Madeline. Her jumps kind of reminded me of Kaetlyn - powerful with strong, smooth landings . And a HUGE bonus that she scored as well as she did by being basically a 'no name' skater with little international experience.

I remember once Keegan did well in the SP at his first Worlds, his scores seemed to shoot up a little bit. I'm wondering if Madeline will be the same way...

Vase

I believe in Madeline and glad she is showing her abilities on the world stage, making the jumps in the short look effortless. Wishing her a phenomenal free.
I wish we had another woman in the mix to send out next, Gabby hasn’t shown she has had any confidence in quite some time.

ChiquitaBanana

You hit the nail on the head. No JGP and leaving her off the Next Gen team was a crime in my book. Even though she finished third at 2020 nationals her talent was so obvious it should have sent up screaming red flags to Skate Canada. Instead, as usual, they chose to focus on a weak hope that a particular someone would get back to their former state.

Being overlooked for 2020 Worlds - even though she was only lady to medal internationally that season - was a slap in the face. She has had to push harder than anyone really to prove herself.

I hope she skates lights out in the free. I will be cheering her every step of the way.
I totally agree... She didn’t have a lutz but it was clear to any trained eye that she had the power and rotational speed to get the big jumps soon, plus soft knees, great edges, speed, powerful jumps and great lines...

Jammers

How bad was Daleman in her monitoring sessions that they went with Bauback instead? I'm sure Daleman would have still made the FS and perhaps Madeline could have finished in the top 12.

coppertop1

I believe in Madeline and glad she is showing her abilities on the world stage, making the jumps in the short look effortless. Wishing her a phenomenal free.
I wish we had another woman in the mix to send out next, Gabby hasn’t shown she has had any confidence in quite some time.

Yes, I believe she will be eligible next season.
Yes, she is.
How bad was Daleman in her monitoring sessions that they went with Bauback instead? I'm sure Daleman would have still made the FS and perhaps Madeline could have finished in the top 12.
Daleman hasn't been at her best since 2018. I don't think sending her was guaranteed to change anything

tony

The older, the crankier
So Daleman going to Worlds would've made Schizas improve her own ranking? By the accounts I heard, Gabby did not have a good monitoring and was not showing a 3+3 at all. While I was skeptical of Bausback going, her SP from the monitoring was briefly online and there's no way Gabby was anywhere near that.

Had Daleman gotten sent, I suspect people would've been :rolleyes: over her choice too, though.

Colonel Green

Daleman hasn't had a decent short program since 2019 Worlds. There's no reason to think she'd have been more likely to make the free skate (unfortunately).

Overall these Worlds were a big success for Maddie, I would say. The free skate wasn't her best, but she was thrown into the deep end with very little prior experience and held up respectably (as some of the skates that came after her showed, it's a high-pressure environment).

honey

Madeline seemed tense today and a little tired by the end. But a respectable debut nonetheless. Cant help be wonder though how much her lack of experience played a factor. Without so much as a junior Grand Prix under her belt, this had to be a pretty intense experience. She showed some fight through a tough skate and never gave up on the jumps.

Onwards and upwards though! I have said this before, but I hope she is given all the tools that skate Canada has at their disposal to further her career. She has work to do on the components especially, and hopefully that start to be really addressed in the off season.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information