2020-21 Canadian Women News & Updates

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
I'm surprised, based on this season, but hey, she was the National Champion last year.
they haven't really done anything this season except for the early on sectionals that they primarily did for feedback with a competition plan to peak for nationals. There wasn't a great deal of difference between the top women really - and like with the men they were certainly not competing at their peak. Monitoring will be the best way to decide who should go. If the ISU is also using the previous season then Canada should take that into consideration over an early season qualifier

Colonel Green

they haven't really done anything this season except for the early on sectionals that they primarily did for feedback with a competition plan to peak for nationals. There wasn't a great deal of difference between the top women really - and like with the men they were certainly not competing at their peak.
Emily skated twice, at sectionals and Challenge, and had a pretty rough go of both.

There's certainly nothing wrong with monitoring her, but in terms of who to send she should fairly be a ways down the list.

Marco

Skate Canada seems quite patient with their ladies champions.

Emily didn't skate well at 4CCs after she broke out at Nationals last season but Skate Canada was patient and sent her to get TES mins again, despite some comparable and strong ladies.

Gabby hasn't been her 17/18 self but Skate Canada seems very support of her in these 3 years.

In the men's, Roman also won Nationals but one poor 4CCs and he is off the world team.

skatingguy

decently

Emily didn't skate well at 4CCs after she broke out at Nationals last season but Skate Canada was patient and sent her to get TES mins again, despite some comparable and strong ladies.

Gabby hasn't been her 17/18 self but Skate Canada seems very support of her in these 3 years.

In the men's, Roman also won Nationals but one poor 4CCs and he is off the world team.
Helps that there's two spots for the women, and only 1 for the men, also 4CC's was a skate off between 3 skaters & Roman came 3rd, and it wasn't close.

Colonel Green

Skate Canada generally prefers to go by national results, but between those cases there are also some pretty significant differences -- the biggest one being that, as concerns the 2020 World team, none of the options were likely to keep two spots so the stakes of the choice were not especially high; whereas with men, they really wanted to get two spots and they had a realistic prospect of doing so, so that was a choice with more weight to it.

Continuing to support Daleman reflects her being a World medalist (the only Canadian one still competing, in fact, in any discipline) and the continuing weakness of the ladies field overall. If she had ready successors comparable to her former level, there'd be more reason to consider letting go.

dramagrrl

As @Colonel Green said above, the situations in the men's field in Canada and the ladies' field are very different. SC has to be patient with the ladies because that is essentially all they can do. Virtually any combination of our current senior ladies that they sent out to internationals would likely end up with the same result - somewhere from very poor (not making the FS) to somewhat mediocre (probably mid to high teen results). The best we can say of our current ladies crop is that they are young and still have time to grow; the worst we can say is that we are still holding on to a skater that is very likely far past her prime, or that none of the younger skaters look like they will be international contenders any time soon, if ever.

For our men, we have three quite strong candidates who all have strengths and weaknesses that essentially balance out. Deciding between them is much more difficult because of this. It's not quite an embarrassment of riches because we can't realistically say any of them would be international medal contenders even on a pretty good day, but they are all capable of top-10 finishes. The fact that we also really need a second men's slot, while we don't really need a second ladies' Worlds/Olympics slot, adds to the pressure of the choice.

Marco

For the ladies, I think it is unfortunate that Skate Canada lost a whole season that would have been perfect for Schizas and others to gain experience and exposure, and for Skate Canada to determine their relative standing in judges' eyes and their consistency. If they prefer Bausback to Schizas again this year (like they did last year) based just on last year's Canadian title alone, it will be quite sad. As I said above, the criteria have been worded very generally.

euterpe

Schizas has already had some international successes. In the 2019-20 season, she won two medals: a silver in Juniors at the 2020 Bavarian Open, and a bronze in Seniors at the 2020 Challenge Cup. Granted, those are not major internationals or ISU Championahip events, but what other Canadian ladies have brought home international medals while also finishing 3rd at 2020 Senior Nationals and 1st at 2021 Challenge?

As for Bausback being more favored, Emily's presentation lags sorely behind her technical abilities, and even in the technical area, she has been inconsistent in her international performances. Emily and Madeline competed head-to-head at the 2020 Challenge Cup; Madeline won the bronze medal with a FS score of 116.24, while Emily finished a dismal 14th in the FS with 83.83.

Yes, it is indeed too bad that Madeline hasn't been able to continue her development internationally.

skatingguy

decently
For the ladies, I think it is unfortunate that Skate Canada lost a whole season that would have been perfect for Schizas and others to gain experience and exposure, and for Skate Canada to determine their relative standing in judges' eyes and their consistency. If they prefer Bausback to Schizas again this year (like they did last year) based just on last year's Canadian title alone, it will be quite sad. As I said above, the criteria have been worded very generally.
What evidence is there to support the idea that Skate Canada prefers Bausbak to Schizas? Based on Bausbak being 8th at the Challenge I don't see any reason why she would be in consideration for the World team this season.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
What evidence is there to support the idea that Skate Canada prefers Bausbak to Schizas? Based on Bausbak being 8th at the Challenge I don't see any reason why she would be in consideration for the World team this season.

I would guess that Bausback's coach is probably lobbying for her behind the scenes.

Colonel Green

If Emily is being considered for the World team, I doubt it’s in the alternative to Schizas; more likely for the other spot. It’s hard to imagine they don’t send Madeline (unless there’s some subsequent problem).

euterpe

If Emily is being considered for the World team, I doubt it’s in the alternative to Schizas; more likely for the other spot. It’s hard to imagine they don’t send Madeline (unless there’s some subsequent problem).

As 2020 National Champion, Emily would have gone to Worlds 2020 but ***** ended that, so they are giving consideration to Emily for a spot at Worlds 2021 (if it does go ahead). It's probably between Emily and Gabby for the second spot.

Sonata

"Monitored" does not mean "favoured". Schizas, Schumacher and Bausback are the only members on the women's national team, so I'm not surprised Skate Canada is monitoring them. They are probably also monitoring Daleman. SC not only have to figure out who the world team members will be, but also the alternates, in case one member develops viral symptoms.

Sedge

a
"Monitored" does not mean "favoured". Schizas, Schumacher and Bausback are the only members on the women's national team, so I'm not surprised Skate Canada is monitoring them. They are probably also monitoring Daleman. SC not only have to figure out who the world team members will be, but also the alternates, in case one member develops viral symptoms.
Alison is on the National Team.

Colonel Green

Dylan & Asher recap the Challenge performances with their thoughts on where the athletes stand; while he's obviously partisan on this point, you can tell Asher is annoyed that Madeline wasn't named to the World team last season.:lol:

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Michelle Long took over Skate Ontario's instagram page today and posted some training clips and answered some questions. Someone asked her "Are the Olympics your ultimate goal?" and she replied: "I have achieved every goal I have set out for myself as a skater over the years. My final, and ultimate goal is to win Nationals and make it to the Olympics!!!" She's planning to add the triple lutz next year and she posted quite a few drills with a 3toe as the second jump. They are on Skate Ontario's instagram stories.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Michelle Long wrote a Skater in Residence Blog for Skate Ontario.

Sylvia

TBD
"Behind the Blades" with Madeline Schizas (March 19):
Given the events of the past year, Schizas’s journey to Stockholm has been far from conventional, but she can’t contain her enthusiasm as she gets ready to proudly represent Canada when the ladies short program kicks off the competition Wednesday.
“I think everyone follows their own path, and this was just mine,” said the 2020 Canadian women’s bronze medallist on a conference call before departing for Sweden. “I think that I’m going into this event with a lot of confidence, even without having a lot of international experience. It’s really special to me that I’m getting to compete at Worlds, and I’m excited for the experience.” ...
“My training’s going really well, I feel really well prepared for this event, despite all the crazy things happening right now,” Schizas adds. “My coaches think that I’m probably in the best shape I’ve been in in my entire career.”

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Wow Schizas had the skate of her life and is leading the short, the first skater to get a Q. 68.77. Bausback probably won't make the free, but hope for two spots is not dead. Honestly I was worried whether Canada would guarantee one spot here so I'll take it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information