2020-21 Canadian Women News & Updates

Vase

I’m sure this decision won’t be easy, I’m not fully confident with Daleman. Her age, experience and speed should have her well ahead of these younger top ladies.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
I’m sure this decision won’t be easy, I’m not fully confident with Daleman. Her age, experience and speed should have her well ahead of these younger top ladies.
Remember, they still have 2 spots to Worlds. I think Schizas and Daleman would be named since Pineault is out for the season as it is and really is the only one who would probably make things complicated. Bausback would likely get (really) hammered on PCS, and isn't really deserving after Challenge anyways.

I don't have a ton of confidence in Gabby, but there's a huge drop-off between the top 10 or 11 ladies and the rest of the field, and on a decent day she probably has a good chance of getting into 12th.

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
Scoring over 175 this year so far are the 3 RUS, 3JPN, 2US, Loena, Kiibus, Hongyi, Safonova, Gutmann (nationals score), and Kurakova (nats score). Add in 2 from KOR and that is 16. Schizas scored 175 and Schumacher 168 at Challenge. Schizas has 175 from Challenge Cup 2020 and Schumacher's ISU SB is 174 so that's right in that range too. I think they could be in contention to make top 24 at Worlds along with Feigin, Paganini, Saarinen or Peltonen, JLang or Toth, Ryabova, FRA, Van Zundert, GER, Grm, Taljegard, Brezinova, Craine, Urushadze, Zingas, and McKay. We would have a little better idea where they slot in internationally vs. Daleman if Skate Canada or some other comps had occurred...

Sonata

I actually didn’t even consider Daleman to be in the picture. How many times can Skate Canada give her second chances despite poor domestic performances? Her FP at Challenge wasn’t good and I didn’t think she had medaled. But then the rest of the field did not do well either. Don’t get me wrong, I love her skating, just not sure sending her this year is the right decision or message to the other skaters who have been performing more consistently.

I think if there is a worlds, Canadian ladies number of spots is inevitably going down to 1. Likely Schizas and Schumacher, who need experience, and hopefully Skate Canada would not put pressure on them for placement. Schumacher might not make it out of SP if she doesn’t land her jumps.... however her basic skating skills would buffer her and help her get into FP if she does land them, despite lower jump content IMO. Schizas - I kind of assume she will skate well and surpass expectations, as she’s been doing over the past year.

puglover

As these videos were shot some weeks ago, it might be helpful to have some more recent monitoring. Things could look different. It would be especially useful to know how the short programs are going. A short with no triples landed well could bury a skater so deep they stand no chance of redemption regardless of spins and footwork levels. I agree, it is hard to predict with only one competition to go by but this is one time I feel they need to look at more than just these two skates for the second spot and if it is more for the experience give it to the younger ones.

Vase

I am also unsure if Daleman has the mental strength to pull it off, but I would assume she could keep in the top 12. Just as I would assume Alison could also be top 12. But thinking long term, the younger athletes may be benefit a lot more from this experience.

Xsktrx

I am also unsure if Daleman has the mental strength to pull it off, but I would assume she could keep in the top 12. Just as I would assume Alison could also be top 12. But thinking long term, the younger athletes may be benefit a lot more from this experience.
I agree. I don’t recall the last time Daleman skated with any emotion or expression at all. She looks like she’s skating 100% focused (and understandibly so) on mechanics. This was as low pressure a competition as she could have had, no fans, guaranteed to move on to Nationals and yet she still struggled. When she finished her look was like she was saying to herself “well that wasn’t a total disaster”. The risk with sending her is even if she skates well she’s no longer a top competitor compared to the Russian ladies and if she has one of “those” skates she will be certainly out of the top ten. I’ve always been a huge Gabby fan but sadly it seems her best days are behind her.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Skate Canada published the World Championship selection criteria (thank you @Sylvia for posting it in the men's thread).

Team will be named by February 24th.

"And will then take into account, in no specific order, the following criteria:

• Placement at the 2019 ISU World Championships
  • Placement and scores at the 2020 Canadian Championships
  • Placement and scores at the 2020 ISU Four Continents Championships
  • Season best international score from the 2019-2020, ISU Grand Prix Series, Senior International events and / or ISU Grand Prix Final
  • Season best score from the 2020/21 ISU Grand Prix Series and 2020/2021 Skate Canada Challenge
  • Demonstration of short and free skate international scores for a potential world placement in the top three flights at the 2021 ISU World Championships"

So the fact that they include 2019 worlds sure helps Daleman.
In terms of season best scores from 2019-2020 there's a virtual tie with Bausback, Pineault (who isn't skating this season), and Schumacher. Schizas doesn't have an official ISU season best score, but her score at Challenge Cup was similar to the other three.

Competition and Performance Readiness

• Selected athletes must show competition and performance readiness through an on-ice monitoring session by Skate Canada between February 15 – 24, 2021
  • Athletes who are injured must receive medical clearance to compete from Skate Canada’s Chief Medical Advisor 14 days prior to their first event at the 2021 ISU World Figure Skating Championships

Colonel Green

In terms of season best scores from 2019-2020 there's a virtual tie with Bausback, Pineault (who isn't skating this season), and Schumacher. Schizas doesn't have an official ISU season best score, but her score at Challenge Cup was similar to the other three.
Since the list says “senior international”, Schizas’ score would also count, even though it’s not an official season’s best.

Sylvia

TBD
Ladies' TES minimums for Worlds are 30 (SP) and 51 (FS).
2019-20 ISU SB total score top 3 CAN ladies + Daleman:
57 Alison SCHUMACHER CAN ISU World Junior Championships 2020 07/03/2020 174.02 J
58 Alicia PINEAULT CAN ISU Four Continents Championships 2020 08/02/2020 173.55 S (not competing this season)
59 Emily BAUSBACK CAN ISU CS Warsaw Cup 2019 17/11/2019 172.48
74 Gabrielle DALEMAN CAN ISU GP Skate Canada International 2019 26/10/2019 164.34

2019-20 ISU SB score in Short Program:
45 Gabrielle DALEMAN CAN ISU GP Skate Canada International 2019 25/10/2019 63.94 [lacks TES minimum in FS]
61 Alison SCHUMACHER CAN ISU World Junior Championships 2020 06/03/2020 59.99 J
70 Kaiya RUITER CAN ISU JGP Egna/Neumarkt 2019 04/10/2019 58.28 J (too young; will be 15 in May 2021)
73 Alicia PINEAULT CAN ISU GP Skate Canada International 2019 25/10/2019 57.59 (not competing this season)

79 Veronik MALLET CAN ISU GP Skate America 2019 18/10/2019 56.69 S [lacks TES minimum in SP]
83 Emily BAUSBACK CAN ISU JGP Lake Placid 2019 30/08/2019 55.71 J

2020 Challenge Cup (senior international that is not counted for ISU SB): http://kunstrijden.knsb.nl/2019-2020/20200220/CAT005RS.HTM
3 Madeline SCHIZAS CAN 175.56 6 (60.32) 3 (115.24)
11 Emily BAUSBACK CAN 151.89 7 (58.26) 14 (93.63)

ETA 2021 (virtual) Challenge top 3:

1 Madeline Schizas 57.71 (SP 4) 117.94 (FS 1) 175.65
2 Alison Schumacher 60.52 (SP 2) 107.60 (FS 3) 168.12
3 Gabrielle Daleman 57.80 (SP 3) 107.86 (2) 165.66

SP protocols: https://cssterminalserv.skatecanada.ca/results/2021CHASeniorWomenSP1DRO.html
FP protoocols: https://cssterminalserv.skatecanada.ca/results/2021CHASeniorWomenFP2DRO.html

Last edited:

Colonel Green

The ISU is going to have to come up with some sort of accommodation for skaters without minimums, so I don't think that forecloses sending Daleman (not to speak to whether I would or not).

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
The ISU is going to have to come up with some sort of accommodation for skaters without minimums, so I don't think that forecloses sending Daleman (not to speak to whether I would or not).
Sure but it isn't as though Gabby is setting the virtual skating comp world afire at the moment. Why hassle with trying to submit a video to get her in when there are 2 ladies who need the experience, especially if Canada loses a spot for next season.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

With few if any professional opportunities for skaters these days, it must be hard for athletes to decide when to hang up their competitive hats.

Don't get me wrong. Gabi and USA's Gold are lovely skaters, and at their peak, were close to the world's best.

Skating at the elite level can be such a brutal pursuit. Spending years to perfect and maintain skills with all of the pressure and expectations attached, only to be overtaken by a newer and more advanced generation of stars.

Colonel Green

Sure but it isn't as though Gabby is setting the virtual skating comp world afire at the moment. Why hassle with trying to submit a video to get her in when there are 2 ladies who need the experience, especially if Canada loses a spot for next season.
The argument for sending her would be that, if she actually delivered, she'd be the best shot at keeping two.

How like that scenario is and whether that's a worthwhile risk depends on a lot of factors that we aren't in any position to judge.

Vase

I'd say MS for sure and second spot depending on current monitoring.
I agree, Gabby has experience but definitely had a tough couple seasons to be putting worlds and Olympic spots on her could be a lot.
Im sure they’ll monitor and have the final decision based on that, but based on the skating we’ve saw in competitions the past 18mo I’d say Madeline and Alison.
I hope Gabby pulls it together, her skating speed alone puts her above these younger ladies but she needs to be as confident in the elements.
There’s always talk on teenagers who’s not landing jumps, when you’re as Veteran as Gabby and not landing them, there’s something we (the fans) are missing. We all know she knows how to train and compete.
But if her Instagrams are newer footage, she’s still training Céline program and I’d think she’s preparing for Worlds. I can’t see her using that program for 3yrs straight...I’m a huge Dion fan but think I’d need to change the song.

dramagrrl

Congrats to Madeline for being accepted to my alma mater. I'm always proud of any elite athlete who chooses to pursue higher education while continuing their training.

Seerek

Per her latest Instagram Story, Madeline was just accepted into the University of Toronto. She had talked about pursuing higher education in her interview with Ted during Challenge.

Given the pedigree of both of her (prominent) parents (finance/economics), it would be interesting to see what field(s) interests her.

Marco

I suppose that means there will be no virtual skate-offs?! The criteria were all open ended without specificity as to the weighting for each criterion - guess this means Skate Canada can simply nominate whoever they want?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information