2020-21 Canadian Women News & Updates

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
I hope so! She has the best jumps and has the potential to go far as long as she doesn’t pull a Czisny

Colonel Green

I was looking over the entry lists for the senior and junior ladies at Ontario Sectionals. I noted that Kristina Ivanova is listed as competing senior this year; I was wondering whether she was still competing since, despite being junior national bronze medalist last year she's not in the NextGen lineup.

million$momma

I was looking over the entry lists for the senior and junior ladies at Ontario Sectionals. I noted that Kristina Ivanova is listed as competing senior this year; I was wondering whether she was still competing since, despite being junior national bronze medalist last year she's not in the NextGen lineup.
I was once told that to be selected NextGen there were many considerations above Nationals placement including age, and citizenship to name a few.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
I can’t seem to copy and paste the link, but Michelle Long posted a video on her Instagram story of her doing a triple lutz in practice. I can’t wait to see her programs from sectionals. Great to see her still improving.

(I managed to find the three dots to copy the link)

Sylvia

TBD
Bausback article by Steve Ewen:
Excerpts:
As a part of precautions centred around C*VID-19 transmissions, judges won’t be rinkside at Scotia Barn, but instead score off the online feed. As well, groups of skaters who had their programs filmed ahead of time in both Victoria and Burnaby will have those taped performances integrated with the Burnaby ones on the webcast.
Fans aren’t permitted in the rink but can watch online, according to Ted Barton, executive director of Skate Canada B.C./Yukon. Action begins Thursday. It wraps Sunday.
Bausback has had to overcome injury in this time away from the competition cycle. She broke the second metatarsal bone in her right foot in early June when her feet got tangled and landed one on top of the other trying to complete a jump. She was off the ice for four weeks.
“I didn’t realize it was broken at first,” explained Bausback. “I got up and did a couple of last laps. It was after that I figured that something was wrong.’

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
I have a soft spot for Michelle Long because of her persistence and dedication - IIRC at one point in addition to skating she was going to school and working two part-time jobs to pay for everything. She clearly loves skating and keeps doing it because she loves it, which is so commendable. That SP is gorgeous.

Lemonade20

I have a soft spot for Michelle Long because of her persistence and dedication - IIRC at one point in addition to skating she was going to school and working two part-time jobs to pay for everything. She clearly loves skating and keeps doing it because she loves it, which is so commendable. That SP is gorgeous.
She’s my current favorite too! I hope she goes far!

Rock2

Wow that was stunning! She's so expressive. I'd love to see her put two great programs together in competition.

ehhhhh, ok.

I mean, on one hand she could win Nationals, because 2020.
On the other hand, I'm guessing one clean program for OIP was likely a chore. I'm not the expert here but most videos I have seen from OIP are one continuous single-camera video take.

Notice that new footage was edited in for all 3 jumps (camera angle changed, yet there was only 1 camera on the ice, from what I could tell). Might have taken - ahem - a couple of tries to get the jumps done, never mind the combo.

Erin

Banned Member
Nice! I don't think I've ever heard Schumacher talk before. I love that Schizas has VHS copies of old Disney movies!

Skate Canada had a video of Schumacher being interviewed after her silver medal at Canadians. She looked pretty uncomfortable in that one - the more casual setting in this one seems to help. Hopefully she can continue to get more comfortable on camera with more experience.

ETA, I found the video if you want to watch:

Last edited:

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Skate Canada had a video of Schumacher being interviewed after her silver medal at Canadians. She looked pretty uncomfortable in that one - the more casual setting in this one seems to help. Hopefully she can continue to get more comfortable on camera with more experience.

ETA, I found the video if you want to watch:

Thank you! In hindsight I think I did watch this before. Hopefully she'll get more comfortable over time talking to the media - and hopefully her skating results will give her more opportunities to do so :)

Lemonade20

Wasn't Alaine Chartrand landing triple axels? I remember she was landing them in practice but don't recall if she ever landed them in competition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information