2019 Minto Summer Skate (Ontario CAN), July 25-28

JoannaLouise

Official Toaster Oven Monitor
I just caught the end of junior men. I missed Alec Guinzbourg, but he scored 55-something.

William St-Louis - wow, is he ever tall! Landed 3t-3t, 3lo and 2a. His air position is a bit loose in the jumps, and I think he doesn't quite know what to do yet with his very long limbs. Score 56-ish.

Bryan Pierro - 3lz (fall), 3lo, nice 2a. He has nice glide and control of his blades. Score 47-ish.

Iliya Kovler - opened with an amazing 3a, but then fell on his 3lz and just squeaked out his 3lo. Score 61.36.

Leaders after the SP are Circelli, Kovler, St-Louis.

Colonel Green

Looking at the entry list, Joseph Phan was still only doing loop jumps last I heard. I'd be happy to see him here, but I'd assume he won't show.

EDIT: Yep, confirmed withdrawal.

shutterbug

Iliya Kovler - "Natural" by Imagine Dragons
  • Superb triple Axel to open, problems on the next two jumps. Truly he is the anti-Chan.
  • This looks like it'll be a strong program with a bit more mileage. Honestly, he's so far ahead of everybody else in this event, even with the errors, in terms of speed and style.
Quick notes on the other NextGen men I caught bits and pieces of:

Corey Circelli: "Ophelia" by The Lumineers
3Lutz<-3T, 3loop, 2A
I enjoy Corey's skating very much and hope he'll stick with singles when the time comes for him to choose an event to focus on.
66 and change in 1st

Alec Guinzbourg: "When You're Smiling" by Michael Buble
3Lutz(?)-3T<, step out, 2loop, 2A
Looks like he's grown.

Colonel Green

Bennet Toman
"No Matter What" by Calum Scott

3A - sharp landing.
3F(?) - fall.
3Lz-2T

Conrad Orzel
"In My Blood" by Shawn Mendes

4T-3T - doesn't go very far, but really launches himself high.
4S - fall.
3A - another sharp landing.

Catherine M

Loved Orzel but hated Nadeau's program.

And Thomas Pelletier should be encouraged to take up pairs skating

Colonel Green

Nicolas Nadeau
"Don't Fall in Love" by Wake Child

3A - saved landing.
2T - sigh.
3Lo-1T - somehow stumbles out of both parts of the combination.

:gallopin1 I am begging you, Nic, please find a jump coach.:violin:

Last edited:

shutterbug

Junior Men SP results

1 Corey Circelli Toronto CS & CC ON 66.40
2 Iliya Kovler Richmond Training Centre ON 61.36
3 William St-Louis CPA Trois Rivières Ouest QC 56.07
4 Alec Guinzbourg Richmond Training Centre ON 55.61
5 Justin Ng-Siva Richmond Training Centre ON 53.92
6 Rio Morita Toronto CS & CC ON 50.76
7 Bryan Pierro CPA De St Hubert QC 47.16
8 Alexandre Simard CPA La Pocatière Inc. QC 46.66
9 Antoine Goyette Greenfield Park FSC QC 46.08
10 Tristan TaylorSkate Regina SK 36.18

Protocols: https://skateontario.org/results/19S1/19S1JuniorMenSP1DRO.pdf
The judges were mighty nice in terms of calling so few jumps UR. It is just a local summer competition I guess, but doubtful the international judges will be so kind.....

Senior Men SP results

1 Conrad Orzel Toronto CS & CC ON 72.35
2 Bennet Toman Skate Oakville ON 67.81
3 Nicolas Nadeau Non-Skate Canada Club QC 65.04
4 Alistair Lam Hamilton SC ON 60.20
5 Thomas Pelletier CPA Ste-Foy/Sillery/Cap-Rouge QC 51.22
6 Philipp Mule CPA Lasalle Inc QC 44.84

Protocols: https://skateontario.org/results/19S1/19S1SeniorMenSP1DRO.pdf

JoannaLouise

Levesque/Hudon's program looked really sharp, especially for this early in the season. The lift was great; went up quickly and had good ice coverage. She's still struggling with the sbs jumps though.

Catherine M

Nice skate by Lavesque and Hudon for July but Gabrielle is still hopeless on her double axel but I do think her overall skating has improved.

shutterbug

Levesque/Hudon's program looked really sharp, especially for this early in the season. The lift was great; went up quickly and had good ice coverage. She's still struggling with the sbs jumps though.
She landed a throw! :eek: Holy crap. Not even close on the 2A though. Oh well.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
I'm casting jr pairs to my smart TV but I have the jr ladies on my laptop because I want to see Blanchard. Anyway I heard the score for Alexa Matveev - 56! Wow must have been good since the top score in group 1 was like 49.

ETA Blanchard withdrew so I'll be closing that window now lol.

JoannaLouise

I enjoyed that program from Derenisky/Eberle; they were much more engaging in terms of presentation than I remember them being in the past. The lift looked a bit unsteady, but they held on.

Colonel Green

Are Laurin/Ethier a new partnership? They have some nice qualities, but they still look a bit skittish together on the ice (especially her).

JoannaLouise

Really impressed by Laurin/Ethier. They had a fall on the throw, but I think they were going for a 3f - pretty ambitious. The rest of the program was very well done, including nice sbs 2a. Score 48.39, and they are in 2nd.

JoannaLouise

I remember Gabriel Farand from Nationals last year, and thinking that he had lots of potential. Looking forward to watching him and Audrey develop in their new partnership. (Score 49-something, and into 2nd)

shutterbug

I remember Gabriel Farand from Nationals last year, and thinking that he had lots of potential. Looking forward to watching him and Audrey develop in their new partnership. (Score 49-something, and into 2nd)
His previous partner switched to ice dance. But boy, did they have a nice 3twist even with her being a bit taller. Fingers crossed for he & Audrey!

JoannaLouise

So in the last 20 minutes, we've had 2 different pronunciations of Brandon Toste's last name - Toast and Tawstie. :lol:

Wow, nice high twist! Catch wasn't the best though. Well done on the throw and sbs 2a. I'd still like to see more of a connection between them, but I think they have improved a bit in this area since last season.

Colonel Green

Wow, Brandon is able to throw Brooke pretty high. Catch still a work in progress, but there is definitely progress on this new element.

These two have the best elements of any Canadian junior pair right now. Some of the performance aspects could stand to be improved on.

Catherine M

I liked Pierro better last season with his former partner. And that music choice did nothing for me

shutterbug

Julianne. :) Maybe she and former partner Andrew Evans can get on the ice and show the kids a few things. :lol:

Colonel Green

Patricia Andrew/Gabby's Brother have a nice vibe together; obviously very early days vis a vis the elements.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information