2019 Minto Summer Skate (Ontario CAN), July 25-28

bluebonnets

can you hear me now?
Tremblay/Couture - music is Sia, a nice lyrical piece, nothing outstanding but I liked it. Missed the score.

Oliver/Andari - seemed to struggle a bit here, some issues with one of their lifts, lacked polish overall, both looked pretty disappointed, 60.86.

Kam/Carter - Spanish program, super adorable, it looked like they were having a great time out there, I enjoyed that, 78.29.

Henson/Lickers - Evita, nice twizzles, that’s the extent of my commentary, 73.77

Dobre

Tremblay & Couture. "You Lift Me Up" is probably the name of the song since the words repeat a lot throughout. Modern soft & flowy. (I just came into the program in the middle).
FD 70.39 Total: 111.71

Oliver & Andari. Classical something we've all heard that I cannot identify. Just getting started on this partnership. Need time to develop more clarity, expression, & confidence.
FD 60.? Total: 106.05

Kam & Carter. Charming. Something in Spanish & English + "Live Life" Mexican folk dance theme. (My favorite of this group). More clarity of movement and polish than their RD. Need to work on closing the space between them, but a nice young team. Expression is engaging.
Total: 122.14 (In first for now).

Hensen & Lickers. Evita. "Buenos Aires" & "You Must Love Me."
FD 73.77 Total: 119.24

JoannaLouise

Official Toaster Oven Monitor
I really enjoyed Galiyanova & Lochhead. I have no idea what their music was, and it was kind of strange, but I was also kind of grooving to it...

I like that both of their programs are a bit quirky and different.

Colonel Green

Galiyanova & Lochhead (apparently I've been pronouncing the latter wrong)
:eek: Jeez, that would be intricate choreo in a senior program, let alone for juniors. Carol isn't going easy on her teams.

Li & Richmond
This team clearly didn't share FSU's dislike of Peng and Jin's cover of "La Vie en Rose" from last season.

Last edited:

JoannaLouise

I don't recall ever having seen Boone & Cowan before (I think I missed them yesterday), but they have a lot of nice qualities. Their rotational lift went a bit wonky at the end, but once they get a handle on it, it could be a really cool lift.

Li & Richmond
This team clearly didn't share FSU's dislike of Peng and Jin's cover of "La Vie en Rose" from last season.
:lol: I have to admit that I started giggling as soon as I heard the first notes of "Law & Order La Vie en Rose".

bluebonnets

can you hear me now?
McQuilkin/Portz - Edith Piaf, nice team, some good moments here, looks like he lost his footing on a lift, 76.59

Galiyanova/Locchead - can’t name the music though it all sounded vaguely familiar (maybe?), nice choreographed sliding movement, overall an enjoyable performance, this team has really grown on me, 87.00

Behiel/Behiel - a few missteps but otherwise a nice performance, I actually liked that a lot, judges don’t share my enthusiasm, 68.27

Li/Richmond - La Vie En Rose, nice lyrical number, best dress I’ve seen so far, 73.55

Boone/Cowan - hallelujah and something else, I kinda checked out during this one, 75.08

Dobre

McQuilkin & Portz: Edith Piaf. Stepanova & Bukin's RD music from last year. Twizzles were out of sync & then he dropped her late in the lift (rotational?). That kind of took the air out of the program & performance, I think. Not as ready as their RD.

FD: 76.59 Total: 127.65

Galiyanova & Lochhead-Smart & Diaz's Latin RD music (1 and a 2 and a 3), I assume, though with a different switch to it, then something Classical, then one of those random Latin made-up-word pieces (oop baba loo bop ;) ). My stream died:( so it's really unfair of me to have an opinion here; as I only saw pieces throughout and then the rest on replay (none of which looked Latin?). But . . . I think their RD is way better.

FD 87.0 Total 138.7

My computer continued to freeze through the next two programs.

Boone & Kowan-Hallelujah. And classical building music at the end. No stream freezes! They had a hard set down out of a lift. Otherwise, nice job.

FD: 75.8 Total: 121.29

JoannaLouise

I love Bashynska & Beaumont; they made a fan of me last year with their charming Cinderella FD. I think last year was their first season as juniors? They are skating with more maturity this year, and look like a very promising team.

Colonel Green

Bashynska & Beaumont
- Overly-intricate twizzle choreograph strikes again.

Kagolovskaya & MacDonald
- These two are obviously just out of novice. Tech is pretty good, not a lot of performance for most of the performance, but that will come.

McIsaac & Circelli
- The "Nature Boy" part is really good (great opening dance spin), it loses me a bit in the instrumental parts.

Yoshida & Nishiyama
- Okay, mark it down, these two are going places.

Last edited:

JoannaLouise

I think that could be a good program for McIsaac & Circelli with some more mileage on it. They need to bring up their intensity to match the music.

I loved that performance from Yoshida & Nishiyama - charming and expressive.

bluebonnets

can you hear me now?
Bashynska/Beaumont - didn’t care for the music choices, but they have a nice quality about their skating, so it was enjoyable to watch, 87.20 (or 87.02, didn’t quite catch it)

Kagolovskaya/McDonald - West Side Story, adorable, 75.38

McIsaac/Circelli - amazing, my favourite FD so far, loved the music (assuming this is selections from Moulin Rouge given the inclusion of Nature Boy), great choreo, great presentation, 88.85

Yoshida/Nishiyama - spoke too soon, this is my new favourite FD, I’m biased towards any kind of ballet program, and that was charming and surprisingly technically-proficient (based on my limited knowledge), 85.55

Makita/Gunara - my feed froze partway through this program, but I’d been enjoying it until then, skating was nice and smooth, choreo seems well-suited to the music, 91.83

Amy L

Wheeeeeee! Makita & Gunara win it! A team--FINALLY--with original music. Fantabulous!

I really liked that program! The night started to take a turn with Disaster en Rose and West Side Story (almost all of the songs - - except the actually good ones!), but they were a delightful surprise.

Dobre

Bashynska & Beaumont. Caruso. And something else common. (Dr. Zhivago?) She came out of the third twizzle set. Otherwise looked good. They came here prepared.

FD: 87.2 Total 144.69

Kagolovskaya & MacDonald. West Side Story. "I Feel Pretty," "Tonight," instrumental portion of "America." My stream acting up again, but program feels appropriate for them. (The light "I Feel Pretty" section especially).

FD: 75.38 Total: 127.38

McIsaac & Circelli. Moulin Rouge/Classical? "Nature Boy." And then something warhorse-esque that I am afraid to misidentify? Actually worked quite well together, if so. This program felt cleaner & more prepared than their RD. Think it could use less two-footed skating; but nice job for season debut.

FD: 88.85 Total: 144.21

Yoshida & Nishiyama. Don Quixote. Loved his spin/choreographic twizzle at the end. (Missed the score. Sorry! Probably the stream froze on me again).

Makita & Gunara. "Don't Know How to Love You." Original music! Finally! Blues. They are really well packaged this season. Nice spin. I hope working hard on those edges because I'm loving their programs.

FD: 91.83 Total: 147.16 :cheer2:

Colonel Green

Makita/Gunara - my feed froze partway through this program, but I’d been enjoying it until then, skating was nice and smooth, choreo seems well-suited to the music, 91.83
Here's my screen recording, if you want to see the whole thing (since Skate Ontario has apparently decided not to archive these streams):

oleada

To follow up on my earlier post, the free dances from the top five finishers:

1. Makita & Gunara
2. Bashynska & Beaumont
3. McIsaac & Circelli
4. Yoshida & Nishiyama
5. Galiyanova & Lochhead

Thank you so much. Really enjoyable set of free dances.
Makita and Gunara are very well matched and just wonderful, overall. She's the more outwardly expressive, but he's a gem, too. I don't love the program (I found my attention drifting at times) but I liked them.

Bashynka & Beaumont used the music really well. It took a bit for me to get into it, but I really liked it in the end. On a shallow note, he skates with his mouth open a lot and I wish he'd stop, LOL.

McIsaac and Circelli were the only team I didn't particularly care for. I hated the music. They seemed fast, but their positions seemed really sloppy. The program seemed really generic which stood out because the other teams did use the music and didn't seem generic. I think I would not have had them as high.

Yoshida and Nishiyama were super charming, and just a delight to watch. She in particular is so expressive. I hope they can keep developing and make the Olympic team for Japan. I didn't realize they were new - super good in that case.

Galiyanova and Lochhead had my favorite program in terms of choreography; it was unexpected and original, and as mentioned earlier, difficult. They did seem a bit rough around the edges (it's early in the season), but I hope they can skate this full out later on. It's a great program.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Junior Dance final standings:
1 Miku Makita / Tyler Gunara Champs International Skating Centre BC/YK 55.33 (3) 91.83 (1) 147.16
2 Nadiia Bashynska / Peter Beaumont Scarboro FSC/Scarboro FSC ON 57.49 (1) 87.20 (3) 144.69
3 Olivia McIsaac / Corey Circelli Burlington Skating Centre/Toronto C ON 55.36 (2) 88.85 (2) 144.21
4 Utana Yoshida / Shingo Nishiyama Toronto CS & CC/Toronto CS & CC ON 53.43 (4) 85.55 (5) 138.98
5 Irina Galiyanova / Grayson Lochhead Scarboro FSC/Woodstock (ON) SC ON 51.70 (7) 87.00 (4) 138.70
6 Isabel McQuilkin / Jake Portz Calalta FSC/Calalta FSC AB/NT/NU 51.06 (8) 76.59 (7) 127.65
7 Sophia Kagolovskaya / Kieran MacDonald Kitchener - Waterloo SC/Ayr SC ON 52.00 (5) 75.38 (9) 127.38
8 Jessica Li / Jacob Richmond CPA Brossard/CPA St Lambert QC 50.07 (9) 73.55 (12) 123.62
9 Kiera Kam / Mathew Carter Champs International Skating Centre BC/YK 43.85 (13) 78.29 (6) 122.14
10 Amelia Boone / Malcolm Kowan Calalta FSC/Calalta FSC AB/NT/NU 45.49 (10) 75.80 (8) 121.29
11 Jessica-Lee Behiel / Jackson Behiel Calalta FSC/Calalta FSC AB/NT/NU 51.73 (6) 68.27 (15) 120.00
12 Lily Hensen / Nathan Lickers Ilderton SC/Ilderton SC ON 45.47 (11) 73.77 (11) 119.24
13 Shaelene Katrayan / Jordan Derochie Scarboro FSC/Scarboro FSC ON 38.14 (16) 75.19 (10) 113.33
14 Olivia Tremblay / Emile Couture CPA De Boucherville Inc./CPA De Bo QC 41.32 (14) 70.39 (13) 111.71
15 Maia Iannetta / Liam Carr Ilderton SC/Ilderton SC ON 39.65 (15) 69.91 (14) 109.56
16 Olivia Oliver / Josh Andari Mariposa School of Skating/Chatha ON 45.19 (12) 60.86 (18) 106.05
17 Josée-Anne Lavoie / William Jalbert CPA De Boucherville Inc./CPA De St H QC 37.57 (17) 64.05 (16) 101.62
18 Sara Buch-Weeke / Nicolas Woodcock Mariposa School of Skating/Barrie S ON 34.85 (19) 62.01 (17) 96.86
19 Jasmine Levesque / Alexandre Faucher St Margaret s Bay SC/CPA Valcourt NS 35.34 (18) 57.12 (20) 92.46
20 Virginy Guertin / Kameron Jeromkin CPA Les Lames D Argent De Laval In QC 32.32 (20) 58.06 (19) 90.38
21 Elisabeth Poirier / Zachary Whittaker CPA Canton De Clarence/CPA Canto QC 30.24 (21) 56.21 (21) 86.45
22 Gabrielle Doey / Quinn Bisson Chatham (ON) FSC/Ilderton SC ON 24.84 (22) 55.16 (22) 80.00
WD Emmy Bronsard / Aissa Bouaraguia CPA Gadbois/CPA Gadbois QC
WD Janine Rho / Jack Yang CPA Du Roussillon/CPA Du Roussill QC
WD Natalie D Alessandro / Bruce Waddell Toronto CS & CC/Toronto CS & CC ON

Starting Orders / Results / Protocols: https://skateontario.org/results/19S1/index.htm

Schedule: https://skateontario.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/Minto-19-Schedule-As-of-July-24-1.pdf

Canadian Tire Tink: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7dxztd
Junior/Senior events on Saturday:
11:20:00 12:35:00 Junior Men Short
12:45:00 13:45:00 Senior Men Short
15:05:00 16:30:00 Junior Pair Short
16:45:00 17:30:00 Senior Pair Short
17:45:00 21:25:00 Senior Women Short

HEO Rink: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7dy05o
Saturday:
09:20:00 10:55:00 Junior Women Short Grp 1
14:35:00 16:20:00 Junior Women Short Grp 2
16:35:00 18:20:00 Junior Women Short Grp 3
18:35:00 20:20:00 Junior Women Short Grp 4

Group 1 includes: *Melaurie Boivin, *Catherine Carle, Natalie D'Alessandro, Brooke McIntosh, *Amelia Orzel, *Madeline Schizas
Group 2 incl.: *Sarah-Maude Blanchard, Elodie Adsuar
Group 3 incl.: *Alison Schumacher, Sandrine Bouchard, *Britannie Grenier, Lia Pereira
Group 4 incl.: Hana Watanabe, *Doriela Lugo-Mayrand
* on NextGen team

Last edited:

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Is anyone watching junior women group 1? There are a few next gen in this one. Madeline Schizas skated earlier and landed her triple toe triple toe, but did a double loop. Score was 43 something and she wasn't too happy.
Erica Fallavollita is leading with a 45 something, she did a triple toe double two and a triple loop. Melaurie Boivin just skated and got a 44something, nice triple loop but down on a very short triple toe triple toe, but I liked her attack going into the jumps.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
There's some technical issue at the rink so scores aren't being announced. Catherine Carle popped the second triple toe into a single but the first one was huge so she was probably going for the triple triple. The triple loop was also huge. She looks much improved from last year where she didn't even qualify for nationals.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Amelia Orzel got 46something. She stumbled out of her triple toe triple toe but landed the triple loop. She still has that deep knee action between jumps. She was with Brian Orser and Joey Russel at the boards.

Colonel Green

Iliya Kovler - "Natural" by Imagine Dragons
  • Superb triple Axel to open, problems on the next two jumps. Truly he is the anti-Chan.
  • This looks like it'll be a strong program with a bit more mileage. Honestly, he's so far ahead of everybody else in this event, even with the errors, in terms of speed and style.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information