2019/20 Junior Grand Prix pre-season news & discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colonel Green

Davis/Smolkin are currently scheduled to do back-to-back events for no particular reason, so I'd imagine they're going to be swapped out of one of those, otherwise that seems unnecessarily demanding.

I figured Gogolev would be here, and it's for another faceoff with Gumennik.

Dobre

I figured Gogolev would be here, and it's for another faceoff with Gumennik.

Which, come to think of it, might be a good reason for Torgashev to compete elsewhere, though it did/does surprise me he wasn't/isn't on the list. (I am remembering, though, that I wasn't any too thrilled that Hiwatashi had drawn the North American JGP event last season now that I look back on it. In the end all three guys from that event made the final but it was a near thing).

Samurina

Who is 21 Andrea PEKAREK PER 20 and who does she represent also who knows anything about JGP Riga

natsulian

Lake Placid will be very exciting to follow. Alysa Liu, Jessica Lin, and Emilia Murdock are very capable juniors and the latter two could even see themselves in the Top 5 should they go squeaky clean. Then we have Kawabe who could sneak into the Top 3 or 5 depending on how well she skates. Both Korean girls looked good at the qualifiers held in their country, so they could make it to the final flight, and Seoyeon could place in the Top 5. The real battle will be between the Russian “veterans” who have had more exposure and experience on the junior circuit and Alysa Liu. Russia played it quite well by sending two of their strongest juniors (skating-skills wise) to contrast Alysa’s shortcomings (SS and speed). Very interesting indeed. Best of luck to all the skaters competing.

Sylvia

TBD
Andrea Pekarek (Peru became an ISU Provisional Figure Skating member earlier this year) just competed last week at Skate Detroit, representing a Minnesota club.

JGP Riga entries/subs won't be published by the ISU until next week (due this Friday).

ETA: Russia may still switch their entries around after their test skates... we'll just have to wait and see.

ETA #2: Then again, Russia only listed one sub for men (Gleb Lutfullin) and ladies (Anna Tarusina who won 2 JGP silvers last year).

Last edited:

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Andrea Pekarek (Peru became an ISU Provisional Figure Skating member earlier this year) just competed last week at Skate Detroit, representing a Minnesota club.

JGP Riga entries/subs won't be published by the ISU until next week (due this Friday).

ETA: Russia may still switch their entries around after their test skates... we'll just have to wait and see.
I don't pay much attention to the proposed rosters. They change too much since Federations determine who goes where. I just wait till the event and see who shows up.

DobrinFan

Except for Lake Placid where the men and ladies only have 1 sub. That's a real bummer, plus no Torgashev 😩 I'm debating not going. I already seen Gogolev vs Gumennik at JGPF and JrW so my motivaton is really low 🤷‍♀️:drama: Oh well....

Tinami Amori

Davis/Smolkin are currently scheduled to do back-to-back events for no particular reason, so I'd imagine they're going to be swapped out of one of those, otherwise that seems unnecessarily demanding.
Reading russian forums, it appears that it was their choice, to skate one after another, be done with JGP, and to plan the rest of the time according to their personal scheduling. we'll see what happens.

Colonel Green

Reading russian forums, it appears that it was their choice, to skate one after another, be done with JGP, and to plan the rest of the time according to their personal scheduling. we'll see what happens.
If so, that’s audacious on their part.

gatorinfl

Who is 21 Andrea PEKAREK PER 20 and who does she represent also who knows anything about JGP Riga

Thank you for asking. I was uncertain, too.

I’ll be following the JGP for the first time this year so most names are unfamiliar to me. It is great to see some countries represented that I haven’t seen before - IND (India I assume), INA (no idea) ,ISL (Iceland?), SGP (Singapore?).

Surprising that no Men or Ladies from China? Only Taiwan and Hong Kong.

Samurina

I’ll be following the JGP for the first time this year so most names are unfamiliar to me. It is great to see some countries represented that I haven’t seen before - IND (India I assume), INA (no idea) ,ISL (Iceland?), SGP (Singapore?).

INA is Indonesia

Amy L

You assume correctly on your abbreviations. :) INA is Indonesia. The JGP is great for obscure country watching, since it's a "developmental" competition series, any ISU member country can send competitors. Last year there was a girl from Bosnia and Herzegovina that got 27 points TOTAL for both of her programs, so the technical aspect isn't exactly impressive, but it is good that more skaters have the chance to compete. If they would like to continue in their skating careers, it's great exposure.

oleada

I wish I were surprised that Russia only listed 1 substitute :rolleyes:

I'm surprised at the pairs they sent out together, because all 3 are former JGP medalists, but their junior pairs bench is pretty deep and a sweep here is not unlikely. I'm not familiar with Wang/Jia, though.

Gris

不做奴才做公民

I'm surprised at the pairs they sent out together, because all 3 are former JGP medalists, but their junior pairs bench is pretty deep and a sweep here is not unlikely. I'm not familiar with Wang/Jia, though.

Jia competed in JGP with Yuyao Zhang back in 2017.

He and Wang recently were at the club league in Hailar, where they attempted 4Tw and won silver (1st in SP, 2nd in FS behind Wang / Huang) in juniors. The 6th and 7th videos in this collection are their performances there.

oleada

Jia competed in JGP with Yuyao Zhang back in 2017.

He and Wang recently were at the club league in Hailar, where they attempted 4Tw and won silver (1st in SP, 2nd in FS behind Wang / Huang) in juniors. The 6th and 7th videos in this collection are their performances there.
Thank you! They have things to work on like any junior team but they're very good for a new team. Do you know what their scores were?

Gris

不做奴才做公民
Thank you! They have things to work on like any junior team but they're very good for a new team. Do you know what their scores were?

FS: TES 43.30 + PCS 50.32 = 92.62

Overall 147.68 (as heard from the announcer) so the SP score should be 55.06. I didn't find the protocols though.

hanca

Values her privacy

Past few years whoever managed to medal at both events in pairs would qualify for JGPF (as long as they had two events). So maybe it doesn’t really matter to Russia that all their three pairs are strong; as long as they manage to achieve 1st-3rd place, they will be fine.

sandra_persch

She was based in Germany (EC Regensburg) until the 2017/2018 season before moving back to the US before the 2018/2019 season.
Up to then all her comps were in Germany at the Novice level.
As far as I know she holds duel Peruvian and US citizenship.

Ka3sha

There might be some problems with visas, so there is no sense in listing a lot of subs - they simply won’t be able to get their visas in time.

As far as I understand, Svetlana Panova helds a camp in America right now, so her students (Ksenia Sinitsina, Anastasia Tarakanova) already have American visas - so it seems reasonable to send them to Lake Placid as well.

Colonel Green

Since Italy will obviously be Grassl’s second event, I predict that Latvia will be his first. Nicely spaced from the Italian event, and it’s in between the US and Russian events, which can be expected to account for a lot of the other big names around the same time.

oleada

There might be some problems with visas, so there is no sense in listing a lot of subs - they simply won’t be able to get their visas in time.

As far as I understand, Svetlana Panova helds a camp in America right now, so her students (Ksenia Sinitsina, Anastasia Tarakanova) already have American visas - so it seems reasonable to send them to Lake Placid as well.
That actually makes a lot of sense :slinkaway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information