2019/20 Junior Grand Prix pre-season news & discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samurina

looking at the field I think that Ksenia and Anastasia will probably come in first and second

DobrinFan

^Depends on if Liu can rotate her 3a or 4lutzes. If Ksenia/Anastasia come in 3rd, they may not get a 2nd assignment.

Samurina

Alysa has 4Lz< both at Broadmoor Open and hopefully international judges will call her 3A(<) because it is if you closely. I think since Ksenia got sent to JWC she has the most likely to win but I haven't seen Tarakanova at all since she joined Panova.

DobrinFan

Alysa has 4Lz< both at Broadmoor Open and hopefully international judges will call her 3A(<) because it is if you closely. I think since Ksenia got sent to JWC she has the most likely to win but I haven't seen Tarakanova at all since she joined Panova.

We'll see.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
I liked Sinitsina and Tarankanova last season. They were overshadowed by the Triple As (to their frustration at Junior Nationals) and will be faced with the Vs this season (
looking at the field I think that Ksenia and Anastasia will probably come in first and second
Your words to the judges ears. Panova needs some wins because I need to see her in the KnC since we have no Tsareva. Speaking of which, she's coaching juniors so we should be seeing some of her students at the Russian cup events.

oleada

Liu had her 3A ratified internationally at the Asian Open last year as a novice.

I do hope that her skating skill are marked accurately - she is so, so slow - but I doubt it.

Last edited:

Samurina

Liu had her 3A ratified internationally at the Asian Open last year as a novice.

I do hope that her skating skill are marked accurately - she is so, so slow - but I doubt it.
Actually only one was ratified it was #1 #3A+2T #3A<

Dobre

Yep, she has a 50% international record at this point.

And 100% of the triple axels ratified at the international novice level.

Question: How many triple axels have been ratified for ladies at the junior level? (Without URs or falls).

Rika got one at JGP Slovenia in 2016, one at the 2017 Asian Open, 1 at the 2017-18 JGPF. (She got one with -2 GOE across the board at 2017 JGP Italy). I believe that's 4 out of 10 attempts so 40% if you count the one with the messy landing in Italy.

How many did Mao get? I assume she got one based on her bio on wikipedia. But I don't know if there were more or not. (Some of the protocol sheets from that season seem to just be blank when I try to open them).

Any others?

Sylvia

TBD
Last year the Junior Grand Prix pre-season thread in Great Skate Debate was locked after the JGP season started so enjoy this one while you can. ;)

RoseRed

Davis/Smolkin are currently scheduled to do back-to-back events for no particular reason, so I'd imagine they're going to be swapped out of one of those, otherwise that seems unnecessarily demanding.

Reading russian forums, it appears that it was their choice, to skate one after another, be done with JGP, and to plan the rest of the time according to their personal scheduling. we'll see what happens.
In this article, they say that their first event will be Lake Placid, and they don't know their second yet. So it sounds like they aren't planning to go to Courcheval.

Colonel Green

Skate Canada has gone from updating its assignments page a week in advance to not updating to include things that have already been announced (e.g., the Lake Placid assignments). We'll know shortly enough anyway.
Ice Dance:
- Molly Cesanek / Yehor Yehorov*
Only one dance team?

Sylvia

TBD
Only one dance team?
I guess USFS plans to send the Browns out separately. Only 7 junior teams currently are listed on the International Selection Pool page and 6 have been assigned already.

Excerpt from @Dobre's post in the U.S. Dance news thread after the Lake Placid competition:
-DelCamp & Somerville earned a high enough score [148] to anticipate their being added to the ISP. Think they are the only team in either of the junior events at Lake Placid likely to have done so that was not previously on the list.

Last edited:

Dobre

I guess USFS plans to send the Browns out separately. Only 7 junior teams currently are listed on the International Selection Pool page and 6 have been assigned already.

Or a second team could be penciled in & not confirmed yet? DelCamp & Somerville's score this week should get them on the list. (And logistically it might make more sense to send them along with Cesanek & Yehorov rather than to send the Browns with them).

Last edited:

Moustaffask8r

Before the JGP season actually gets underway in late August (and individual competition threads are started in the 2019-20 Kiss & Cry section after it's created), here's a thread for those interested in discussing potential skaters (all countries), both new and returning, as well as for posting any assignments that are announced/published online.

The seven events of the ISU Junior Grand Prix of Figure Skating are:

#1 August 21-24, 2019 Courchevel, France [Announcement]
#2 August 28-31, 2019 Lake Placid, USA (including Pair Skating)
#3 September 4-7, 2019 Riga, Latvia
#4 (including Pair Skating) September 11-14, 2019 Chelyabinsk, Russia (including Pair Skating) [Announcement]
#5 September 18-21, 2019 Gdansk, Poland (including Pair Skating) [Announcement]
#6 September 25-28, 2019 Zagreb, Croatia (including Pair Skating)
#7 October 2-5, 2019 Egna, Italy [Announcement]

JGP Series+Final General Announcement is published here (25 pages): https://isu.org/docman-documents-li...-grand-prix-2019-20-general-announcement/file

ISU's JGP event info page: https://isu.org/figure-skating/events/junior-grand-prix-of-figure-skating

Anticipating the 2019 JGP debuts of:
Kamilla Valieva RUS
Alysa Liu USA
Shun Sato JPN
Others to look out for?

LADIES who medalled last year (not all may be selected by the feds with deep fields) and/or were top 12 at 2019 Junior Worlds:
Kseniia Sinytsina RUS - JW4 / JGP silver
Alena Kanysheva RUS - JGPF4 / 2 JGP silvers
Anastasia Tarakanova RUS - JGPF5 / JGP gold & silver
Anna Tarusina RUS - JGPF alt. / 2 JGP silvers (unless selected for GP as an alternate)
Viktoria Vasilieva RUS - JGP bronze
Hanna Harrell USA - JW7
Haein Kee KOR - JW8 / JGP bronze
Alison Schumacher CAN - JW10
Alina Urushadze GEO - JW11
Tomoe Kawabata JPN - JW12
Rion Sumiyoshi JPN - JGP bronze
Shiika Yoshioka JPN - JGP bronze
Still age-eligible: Yi Christy Leung HKG (unless selected for GP as an alternate; 14th in 2019 Worlds debut)

MEN who medalled last year and/or were top 16 at 2019 Junior Worlds:
Daniel Grassl ITA - 2019 JW bronze / JGP bronze
Artur Danielian RUS - JW4
Stephen Gogolev CAN - JW5 / JGPF1 / JGP gold
Adam Siao Him Fa FRA - JW6 / JGPF4 / JGP gold & bronze
Petr Gumennik RUS - JW10 / JGPF2 / 2 JGP golds
Joseph Phan CAN - JW12 / JGP bronze
Andrew Torgashev USA - qualified for JGPF-WD / JGP gold
Andrei Mozalev RUS - JGP gold
Kirill Iakolev RUS - JGP silver
Yuma Kagiyama JPN - JGP silver
Mitsuki Sumoto JPN - JGP silver (ETA: moving up to senior, refer to post #3 below)
Tatsuya Tsuboi JPN - JW14
Matyas Belohradsky CZE - JW15
Ivan Shmuratko UKR - JW16
Yuto Kishina JPN - JGP bronze
Iliya Kovler CAN - JGP bronze

Returning age-eligible PAIRS include:
Panfilova/Rylov RUS - JW2 / JGPF3
Kostiukovich/Ialin RUS - JW3 / JGPF2
Akhanteva/Kolesov RUS - JGPF4
Pepeleva/Pleshkov RUS - JGP bronze
Nesterova/Darenskyi UKR - JW8
Hamon/Strekalin FRA - JW9
McIntosh/Toste CAN - JW10
Finster/Nagy USA - JW11
NEW team (copying over from the German news thread):

Returning age-eligible ICE DANCE TEAMS include:
Nguyen/Kolesnik USA - JW4 / JGPF5
Ushakova/Nekrasov RUS - JW5 / JGPF2
Kazakova/Reviya GEO - JW6 / JGPF6
Shanaeva/Naryzhyy RUS - JGP silver
Demougeot/Le Mercier FRA - JW8
Popova/Byelikov UKR - JGP bronze
Davis/Smolkin RUS - JGP bronze (recently moved to train with Shpilband group in Novi)
Bronsard/Bouarguia CAN
D'Alessandro/Waddell CAN
Golubtsova/Belobrov UKR
Sylvia, what is the number of entries/country for each discipline? where can I find it? US only has one entry in Ice Dance in Riga??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information