2018/2019 Grand Prix Final will be in Vancouver

levineismine

I believed in Hubbell&Donohue before it was cool
I'm likely too far but just out of curiosity /maybe last minute impulse buy, how much were the all event tickets?

nguyhm

I'm asking for a (female) friend who needs a place to stay for Tuesday and Wednesday (Dec 4&5), preferably within walking distance and/or with access to easy public transportation to the arena. Please PM me if you have a room to share for those dates.

Japanfan

I'm asking for a (female) friend who needs a place to stay for Tuesday and Wednesday (Dec 4&5), preferably within walking distance and/or with access to easy public transportation to the arena. Please PM me if you have a room to share for those dates.

There really is nowhere within walking distance to the arena because it's on a university (University of British Columbia or UBC) campus 45 minutes away from the city center. Even if you live closer than the city center, it's quite a drive. If you take 12th Avenue (my preferred route) you have to drive 20 minutes or so on a road through what is called the 'university endowment lands' - a beautiful drive (or bus ride), however. That's one route and there are alternative routes, but each requires about a 20 minute drive once you get in the campus area.

There is a fair bit of housing on campus, but it is mostly occupied by people who work or study at the university. It's a small population, and most likely only a few of its members are skating fans.

People living there might make a good buck if they rented out a spare room or their bed room, or stayed with friends and rented out whole apartments.

But probably few are even aware of the GPF or events happening at the Thunderbird arena.

Cayuse

Have you tried airbnb? There are quite a few not too far from the college and close to the beach area. You can easily catch the bus or walk to the arena.

nguyhm

Have you tried airbnb? There are quite a few not too far from the college and close to the beach area. You can easily catch the bus or walk to the arena.
She had her name put down on the waiting list for Triumf House and Carey but it's uncertain if anything will become available.
Thank you for your suggestion, I will relate the message to have her look into airbnb around the area.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Booked a room in an AirBnB type situation in Point Gray. If someone is looking for a place to stay, there is a pull-out couch in the sitting room (it’s a suite). I’ll have a car but plan to take public transportation if it’s at all viable.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Google Flights found me a flight so cheap, I’m not going to drive after all. Will figure out how to get from the airport to the AirBnB later.

Sylvia

TBD
JGPF/GPF schedule is up:

https://skatecanada.ca/2018-isu-grand-prix-of-figure-skating-final/

Wednesday, December 5, 2018
Official Practices (All Day)

Thursday, December 6, 2018
14:05 JUNIOR ICE DANCE – Rhythm Dance
15:20 JUNIOR MEN – Short Program
16:25 JUNIOR PAIRS – Short Program
17:40 JUNIOR LADIES – Short Program
19:00 Opening Ceremony
19:45 SENIOR MEN – Short Program
21:00 SENIOR LADIES – Short Program

Friday, December 7, 2018
15:45 JUNIOR ICE DANCE – Free Dance
17:05 JUNIOR MEN – Free Skating
Victory Ceremonies Junior Men and Junior Ice Dance
19:05 SENIOR ICE DANCE – Rhythm Dance
20:20 SENIOR PAIRS – Short Program
21:35 SENIOR MEN – Free Skating
Victory Ceremonies Senior Men

Saturday, December 8, 2018
13:55 SENIOR LADIES – Free Skating
15:15 JUNIOR LADIES – Free Skating
16:30 JUNIOR PAIRS – Free Skating
Victory Ceremonies Junior Pairs, Senior Ladies and Junior Ladies
19:00 SENIOR ICE DANCE – Free Dance
20:20 SENIOR PAIRS – Free Skating
Victory Ceremonies Senior Pairs and Senior Ice Dance

Sunday, December 9, 2018
14:00 Exhibition Gala
Coloured schedule is dated July 30 (same as what was posted by TanithandBenFan on Sept. 3, quoted above?): https://skatecanada.ca/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/gpf2018_ColouredTimeSchedule_2018-07-30.pdf

(CC: @Kathryn2001 @Vash01 )

Last edited:

manhn

Google Flights found me a flight so cheap, I’m not going to drive after all. Will figure out how to get from the airport to the AirBnB later.

Canada Line from the airport to City Hall Station. Then take 99 bus to UBC.

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
Do most taxis in Vancouver take credit cards? Same question for the concession stands at the UBC arena. Trying to avoid exchanging money if I can.

Japanfan

Coloured schedule is dated July 30 (same as what was posted by TanithandBenFan on Sept. 3, quoted above?): https://skatecanada.ca/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/gpf2018_ColouredTimeSchedule_2018-07-30.pdf

I find the lay-out to be a bit confusing (granted, my figure-skating-schedule reading skills are quite rusty).

The astericks mean starting order, but why are there blocks with astericks then? Is that when the starting orders will be announced? Also, there is no indicator to distinguish between practices and competition.

And for the 6th, there is a block for JrP 9:10-9:35 and SrM 10:00, followed by JrL 9:25. :confused:

The 5th must all be practices?

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
I find the lay-out to be a bit confusing (granted, my figure-skating-schedule reading skills are quite rusty).
That's why I included @TanithandBenFan's helpful original post with all the competition start times listed :) -- just click on "Click to expand" in the quoted part to view all of it (post #286).
The astericks mean starting order, but why are there blocks with astericks then?
The latter means the practices will have music played in starting order.
Also, there is no indicator to distinguish between practices and competition.
The blocks that are completely colored through are practices; the competition blocks have a colored stripe both at the top and bottom with white space in between.
And for the 6th, there is a block for JrP 9:10-9:35 and SrM 10:00, followed by JrL 9:25. :confused:
Typo -- should read 10:50. At the beginning of the same practice day JrD group 1 should be 07:00-7:25 and group 2 should start at 07:25, not 06:55. I'm sure these typos will be corrected in a future version of the colored schedule.
The 5th must all be practices?
Yes.

Last edited:

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
Is there a former Canadian ice dancer on a local Vancouver TV station? My AirBnB hosts said their daughter was on the national team with V/M and works in broadcasting now, sometimes in the early morning. I was trying to search who it could be but wasn't successful.

kalamalka

Ding ding! :) She just messaged me her name. She lives in the basement suite of the house I'm renting :)

My first thought had been Tarrah Harvey as well - didn't know she was working in broadcasting (radio), but she worked with Ted Barton on the streaming of BC sectionals at least a couple of times, interviewing skaters etc., and I saw when I looked her up that she studied broadcasting at BCIT. Great serendipity in your Airbnb.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C

(CC: @Kathryn2001 @Vash01 )

It seems Dec. 9 has only exhibitions. I may not want to stay because I don't really care about the gala, though some performances may be quite good. I can try to sell my ticket for the gala.

I may regret this, but I will probably leave on the 9th.

When are we supposed to receive our tickets? I had requested mine by email. Do we call Skate Canada or the arena for information? Now I feel it would have been better to get them by mail. I don't have a printer. I hope I can show them my cell phone.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information