2018-2019 Canadian Ladies News and Updates!

Zazy

...in my book Larkyn was not behind Gabby, rather ahead

I agree but Gabby was always going to get major reputation scores - it's not fair but it's to be expected.
That said, I was really impressed with what she was able to do today. There's a good chance the long will be more of a struggle but she has something to build on.

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
I’m not getting the Larkin love with novice level technical? She’s a great performer but there is a reason she has not made the free skate at international comps? I would be far more supportive of giving Schumacher the opportunity or anyone with decent technical?

Foolhardy Ham Lint

I was glad to see Daleman keep her Carmen sp. It's the kind of music that accentuates her power and grit.

She looked a little rusty, having been away from competition for so long. But man, I loved how she absolutely fought for everything out there.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
I was glad to see Daleman keep her Carmen sp. It's the kind of music that accentuates her power and grit.

She looked a little rusty, having been away from competition for so long. But man, I loved how she absolutely fought for everything out there.

Indeed, she performed beautifully, under the circumstances. Clear #1 in the field. The only lady who could beat her for the title is young Ms Schumacher, considering strong TES and ok PCS.

Alvyne

I’m not getting the Larkin love with novice level technical? She’s a great performer but there is a reason she has not made the free skate at international comps? I would be far more supportive of giving Schumacher the opportunity or anyone with decent technical?
Larkyn does not have the Worlds minimum right? I doubt she would get the marks she got from international judges. They would not give out +3 for a 3Lo-2t combo and a 3S as a single jumps no matter how well they are done. And without a 3 flip and a 3 lutz, she won't make it to the free at Worlds if she managed to get the minimums at 4CC. But I agree the performance quality was nice.

ichiro

I agree with all the comments against Larkyn’s high marks. I’d rather she go with her difficult content until she get’s that clean VS downgrading and hoping international judges will give her the marks for (3L, 3S). Vs what she was attempting last year (3S/3T, 3F).

I like her SP but still can’t get onboard with this “safe” approach just to make it to worlds.. And probably not qualifying for the LP again :(

I’d rather SC push for ladies that are attempting the 3/3 as that’s an absolute requirement now to get anywhere near top 12-16?

Foolhardy Ham Lint

I agree with all the comments against Larkyn’s high marks. I’d rather she go with her difficult content until she get’s that clean VS downgrading and hoping international judges will give her the marks for (3L, 3S). Vs what she was attempting last year (3S/3T, 3F).

I like her SP but still can’t get onboard with this “safe” approach just to make it to worlds.. And probably not qualifying for the LP again :(

I’d rather SC push for ladies that are attempting the 3/3 as that’s an absolute requirement now to get anywhere near top 12-16?

Around eight or nine years ago at one Russian National Championships when they were in the process of rebuilding, they implemented a bonus mark for ladies that attempted triple / triple combinations in the short program.

I'm sorry to see Chartrand still struggling. Unless she puts it together in the free and gives the judging panel reason to score her well, there is a real chance she may not make the world team at all.

mag

You are right content wise- certainly Gabby IS superior there.
But Larkyn surprised me today! She was so polished, her skating quality impressed me.
Anyway, all the best to both of them- and all Canadian ladies!- tomorrow.

It is far easier to have great performance when you have a very simple program with very basic jump entrances into easy jumps. Larkyn has been landing toes and sals for almost 8 years and loops for probably 4. The fact that she now needs to enter her loop with two very stiff basic crossovers is a sign of regression. There is also no difficult entry into the sal.

She and her team have the huge advantage of knowing that even with pre novice content and a very simple program, she will get the PCS and the GOE and the levels (Larkyn would probably get level 2 on those steps internationally, maybe 3 on a good day with an easy caller.) Larkyn also doesn’t have to waste training time and risk injury training a 3/3 like the rest of the field. Someone like Alison doesn’t have that advantage so she has to put actual steps before her flip to get GOE and has to actually train a 3/3.

I know many of you think I dislike Larkyn. I don’t. I quite enjoy her skating and I think she earned her spot on the Olympic team. What I very much dislike is the uneven playing field. I don’t know how Alicia injured her ankle, but if she could have been training simple programs with no 3/3, not competed this fall and still know she was favoured for the national podium and a trip to Worlds, I wonder if she would have got injured?

You cannot underestimate the value of being favoured. How much of a lift it gives to a skater, how much better they will perform and how much easier it is to shake of a mistake. It seems to me the SC want skaters who “look” like Senior Skaters rather than skaters who have the technical goods, have been increasing their tech content, and just need support and experience to grow.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

It is far easier to have great performance when you have a very simple program with very basic jump entrances into easy jumps. Larkyn has been landing toes and sals for almost 8 years and loops for probably 4. The fact that she now needs to enter her loop with two very stiff basic crossovers is a sign of regression. There is also no difficult entry into the sal.

She and her team have the huge advantage of knowing that even with pre novice content and a very simple program, she will get the PCS and the GOE and the levels (Larkyn would probably get level 2 on those steps internationally, maybe 3 on a good day with an easy caller.) Larkyn also doesn’t have to waste training time and risk injury training a 3/3 like the rest of the field. Someone like Alison doesn’t have that advantage so she has to put actual steps before her flip to get GOE and has to actually train a 3/3.

I know many of you think I dislike Larkyn. I don’t. I quite enjoy her skating and I think she earned her spot on the Olympic team. What I very much dislike is the uneven playing field. I don’t know how Alicia injured her ankle, but if she could have been training simple programs with no 3/3, not competed this fall and still know she was favoured for the national podium and a trip to Worlds, I wonder if she would have got injured?

You cannot underestimate the value of being favoured. How much of a lift it gives to a skater, how much better they will perform and how much easier it is to shake of a mistake. It seems to me the SC want skaters who “look” like Senior Skaters rather than skaters who have the technical goods, have been increasing their tech content, and just need support and experience to grow.

With Osmond out, and Daleman coming back, Canada is certainly going through a rebuilding period.

There were a few very talented ladies at the novice level this year. I will be interested to see how they do in the next few years leading up to Beijing.

Alvyne

To me, it seems that Skate Canada is rewarding clean skates with lower difficulty over difficult and complex content with mistakes, because of the new +5 range in GOE (and not just in ladies). I don't think it's the way to go though, you still need some difficulty if you want to compete with the rest of the world.

RoseRed

Reminder to people that Larkyn didn't compete this fall because she was dealing with injuries to both ankles. Not just because she didn't want to :rolleyes:.

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling

Reminder to people that Larkyn didn't compete this fall because she was dealing with injuries to both ankles. Not just because she didn't want to :rolleyes:.

I didn’t know that, I knew she was injured but wow both ankles that’s rough..

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
With Osmond out, and Daleman coming back, Canada is certainly going through a rebuilding period.

There were a few very talented ladies at the novice level this year. I will be interested to see how they do in the next few years leading up to Beijing.

I wonder if Hannah Dawson is planning to move up next season. Goodness knows there's lots of room for her in the field. She's going for more technical content, which is excellent, but she's got a lot of work to do -- and I say that as a big fan. She slows down so much going into her jumps, I don't know how she gets her combos off. I really hope her team gets on top of that.

Reactions: mag

mag

Every elite skater is dealing with injuries. They should still be judged by what they put out on the ice. It isn’t Larkyn’s fault the judges and tech panel feel the need to hold her up or see what they want to see or whatever. It would also be crazy for her and her team to not take advantage of the clear message they have received over the years “go clean and you will be rewarded regardless of content.” Why wouldn’t they? She is there to win. She is not breaking any rules. She is playing the game in the way that gives her the best chance at success. That is what every skater should do. My complaint is with SC. They bemoan the fact that our ladies, with a few notable exceptions, do not do well internationally, yet they are getting exactly what they are asking for.

mag

On a other note, I am realły hoping SC will consider giving Alicia 4CC’s and then they decide the world team based on the results. She skated so well at Autumn Classic. She is someone who, with a bunch of positive reinforcement, could be a star.

Emdee

I love Aurora Cotop’s style and flow. With Ravi’s input she could be a successful skater.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Surely Cotop will get a senior international and then be named to the world team.
I will be furious if that doesn't happen!

Me too! Cotop to Worlds! Get her to a competition for points. She’s age eligible - 16 now...

Emdee

Cotop is still easing into her difficult triples after her injury. So likely will just be sent to junior worlds.
Glad that her coaches knew to send her to Ravi who has great experience bringing KO back from injury.

Erin

Banned Member
On a other note, I am realły hoping SC will consider giving Alicia 4CC’s and then they decide the world team based on the results. She skated so well at Autumn Classic. She is someone who, with a bunch of positive reinforcement, could be a star.

Unfortunately, I don’t think she meets Skate Canada’s pre-defined criteria to be sent without having competed at Nationals. I think the only skaters who met the criteria are Gabby, Kaetlyn, Weaver & Poje, Virtue & Moir, and Duhamel & Radford. Obviously most of those skaters aren’t aiming to go to Worlds or 4CC - just Gabby and Weaver & Poje who both are competing.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
I saw the results and I was like wowwww... Chartrand back as National Champion!

I wonder if they will monitor Daleman (provided that she wants to be) and put her on the 4CC and/or World Team.....

RoseRed

I saw the results and I was like wowwww... Chartrand back as National Champion!

I wonder if they will monitor Daleman (provided that she wants to be) and put her on the 4CC and/or World Team.....
From Mike Slipchuk's comments, she'll get spots at both if she and her team decide they want to. But they may decide that skipping 4CCs would be better for her, for example. We'll see.

RoseRed

I think they'll do Alaine, Veronik and Gabby to 4CCs. If Gabby decides not to do 4CCs, Larkyn will go. Aurora can't since she doesn't have senior minimums.

I think they'll send Aurora to a B event to try to get her minimums. Then they'll either replace Veronik with her for Worlds, or have her focus on Junior Worlds and be 1st alt. for Worlds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information