2018-2019 Canadian Ladies News and Updates!

Japanfan

Yup, appears like some hate Canadians announcers getting excited about their own. You are suppose to be nice Canadians and never excited.

In the words of Rod Black...Next one.

Rod is not the only Canadian wondering who 'the next one' is - in all the disciplines, but particularly in men because Canada has traditionally tended to have a strong men's field.

I'm sure he'll be proclaiming Gogolov 'the next one' at Nationals, as it's already been done, and all the more so if he medals, which is possible. Keegan Messing doesn't quite qualify for the title IMO, but who knows, he may surprise at Nats.

I believe it was pointed out earlier in this thread that Rod has been sighted at competitions watching lower levels that weren't being broadcast.

I think Rod generally loves the sport, and it comes across in his commentating. I even watch his video essays, which I appreciate from a writer's viewpoint.

I'll take Rod and Tracy over Johnny and Tara (and their fancy hats) any day.

quartz

scratching at the light
Rod's love of the sport is clear. I believe he once said that figure skating is one of his favourite sport to commentate.
Because his love and admiration for our sport is so genuine, I always forgive his doofiness and wtf comments. I’m just happy to have someone from outside skating come to realize how truly incredible and unique it is. I’ve always said that figure skating is the perfect example of the sublime and the ridiculous, and Rod is part of the ridiculous. Just embrace it for what it is. :p

screech

Because his love and admiration for our sport is so genuine, I always forgive his doofiness and wtf comments.
I remember watching a competition once, where a skater changed their jump layout mid-program (meaning it wouldn't have been in their notes), and Rod called the unexpected element before the 'technical' commentator could. Clearly dude actually pays attention when he watches. And I will always have a soft spot for him having sat behind the commentator booth one Canadians where he was there watching, way before the cameras and lights were on.
Plus I've always found him to be kind of attractive.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Yup, appears like some hate Canadians announcers getting excited about their own. You are suppose to be nice Canadians and never excited.

It has nothing to do with being excited and/or being pro-Canadian. I dislike Rod stating the obvious over and over again, and using the same catchphrases over and over again. It's nice that he loves the sport and enjoys commentating the broadcast, but for the love of G-d, he doesn't have to do things like yell "30 SECONDS TO GO!!!" near the end of every clean program, or say things like "The audience is on their feet!!!!!" when the viewers can see that for themselves.

I agree with @Japanfan that he's more tolerable than the screaming fashionistas Johnny and Tara, but IMO that's kind of like saying getting punched in the stomach is better than getting punched in the nose. One might be less painful than the other, but neither is something you want to experience.

WanderlustTO

Rod is no great broadcaster, that's for sure. I don't think he's made a profound comment about any skater in his entire professional lifespan in the sport. Having said that, he's been around so long that I find him a very familiar and comforting presence, if that makes any sense.

danafan

Canadian ladies über

dee342

It has nothing to do with being excited and/or being pro-Canadian. I dislike Rod stating the obvious over and over again, and using the same catchphrases over and over again. It's nice that he loves the sport and enjoys commentating the broadcast, but for the love of G-d, he doesn't have to do things like yell "30 SECONDS TO GO!!!" near the end of every clean program, or say things like "The audience is on their feet!!!!!" when the viewers can see that for themselves.

I agree with @Japanfan that he's more tolerable than the screaming fashionistas Johnny and Tara, but IMO that's kind of like saying getting punched in the stomach is better than getting punched in the nose. One might be less painful than the other, but neither is something you want to experience.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Now Daleman is rewtweeting some happy birthday messages that are also wishing her good luck at nationals so maybe those other tweets being deleted is a false alarm. Her instagram stories are much the same too, and she's featured in Skate Canada's instagram about the women's event at nationals that was posted today.

Japanfan

I remember watching a competition once, where a skater changed their jump layout mid-program (meaning it wouldn't have been in their notes), and Rod called the unexpected element before the 'technical' commentator could. Clearly dude actually pays attention when he watches. And I will always have a soft spot for him having sat behind the commentator booth one Canadians where he was there watching, way before the cameras and lights were on.
Plus I've always found him to be kind of attractive.

I find him to be attractive too.

At Nationals in Winnipeg, 2001, I saw Rod and his wife and their newborn sitting on the floor of the concourse during intermission. Rod was holding the baby and being so very sweet to him or her. I've had a soft spot for him ever since.

Rod is no great broadcaster, that's for sure.

The people who pay him to broadcast (probably six figures) obviously don't agree.

SFAIK he commentates on several sports other than FS, but I'm not sure which (for some reason I think curling?) e

I prefer Rod to Scott Russell on CBC, who is slick and seems to be just going through the motions. I like Rod's authenticity and genuine enthusiasm.

chantilly

Rod also commentates for CFL.
Personally I find him a bit over the top and kinda hokey at times, as I find Kurt who I LOVE!!!, but having said that, I think Rod is definitely authentic and genuine in his comments and is always professional.
I think he fully deserves the career he has.

Seerek

I was surprised to read that Rod Black was only 28 (!) that first season he covered skating for CTV (1991 Canadian Nationals).

Anyways, to answer the question above, Rod's main current duties are CFL in the summer, NBA in the winter (but only hosting desk, not play-by-play).

Habs

A bitch from Canada
I was surprised to read that Rod Black was only 28 (!) that first season he covered skating for CTV (1991 Canadian Nationals).

Anyways, to answer the question above, Rod's main current duties are CFL in the summer, NBA in the winter (but only hosting desk, not play-by-play).

Rod also used to call Blue Jays games (hasn't for several years though), and IIRC, he has done some golf coverage as well.

kalamalka

Top three Novice ladies after the short
Ruiter 3T/3T, 3Lo, 2A
Zhu 3F/2T, 3S, 2A
McIntosh 3T/3T, 3S, 2A

I only saw one skater, Emily Millard (4th, 3L/2L , 3S, 2A) live and need to catch up on the others, but I really enjoyed her skate and am impressed by the content and execution of the top novices. (Who will probably compare favourably to a lot of the juniors and seniors)
Hoping they all have good free skates as well!

(edited to add the missing jump)

Last edited:

Erin

Banned Member
Thats GREAT that Daleman is back on..

So do we expect her to win? Even with minor mistakes (heck, even major) Chartrand and others (Pineault, Austman) cant really touch an nonclean Daleman, yeah?

Excited to see!!!

As I mentioned upthread, Daleman's SB is about 1 point behind Mallet (who has also spent some time off ice since Finlandia) and 3 points behind Chartrand. Daleman was nowhere near her best in SLC, doubling the lutz in the short program and with only one clean fully rotated triple jump in the long. So I don't think she has to be clean, but if Mallet or Chartrand put out their best performance, Daleman probably needs to step up a bit from where she was in SLC. Hopefully her team is being realistic with expectations and with what they have put in for content.

Tinami Amori

Thats GREAT that Daleman is back on..

So do we expect her to win? Even with minor mistakes (heck, even major) Chartrand and others (Pineault, Austman) cant really touch an nonclean Daleman, yeah? Excited to see!!!
I do expect her to win, she is far ahead of other canadian sr. ladies, even with few mistakes. She had the rink and sense of "number 1 lady" for over a month now, with Med skating in Russia in December and now. I don't insist, but strongly suspect, that all the excitement and hoopla over "Big Star Med" coming to her rink, and all the attention around it, contributed to Daleman's "self-doubts". If i was her, and had her skating abilities, i would have stuck around and moved Med (or any foreign star skater coming to my rink) figuratively speaking "backstage" by out-skating her... I would not let a foreigner run me out of the rink.... So i hope Daleman is back and swinging, and brings back "Gladiator" with new power moves, and a steampunk gladiator costume... :EVILLE:
https://cdn-img-3.wanelo.com/p/374/b16/be2/a9a20b799d6ca33dcef01ef/x354-q80.jpg

Last edited:

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Rod also used to call Blue Jays games (hasn't for several years though)

Ugh, I'd forgotten about that. Although I would almost prefer him over the two horribly biased homers that call the games now...

Colonel Green

As I mentioned upthread, Daleman's SB is about 1 point behind Mallet (who has also spent some time off ice since Finlandia) and 3 points behind Chartrand. Daleman was nowhere near her best in SLC, doubling the lutz in the short program and with only one clean fully rotated triple jump in the long. So I don't think she has to be clean, but if Mallet or Chartrand put out their best performance, Daleman probably needs to step up a bit from where she was in SLC. Hopefully her team is being realistic with expectations and with what they have put in for content.
Also, the judges will absolutely prop Daleman up to whatever extent they need to. She’s too valuable an asset to let her lose unless she absolutely bombs.

Japanfan

I expect Daleman to win.

Also, the judges will absolutely prop Daleman up to whatever extent they need to. She’s too valuable an asset to let her lose unless she absolutely bombs.

But I don't think I agree with this.

Daleman hasn't punched her ticket yet. If someone new skates light out and Daleman skates poorly or even not her best, the judges (with the support of Skate Canada) might give her the win.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information