2018-2019 Canadian Ladies News and Updates!

puglover

CBC might want to correct that article as they have the silver medalists in pairs wrong. And third place, for that matter.

coppertop1

Wow! Congratulations to Alaine! I think missing the Olympic Team May have helped her. It lit a fire in her. She has been skating better this season. Gabby off the podium, though, ouch.

DimaToe

Retired by Frank Carroll
Just saw the top senior women at Canadians. Geez Dalemans reaction after her FS score came up brought some tears to my eyes. She needed more time away from whatever was or is harming her. Directly related to skating or not she wasn’t ready to be on the ice and expected to be the beat in her country.

Colonel Green

From Mike Slipchuk's comments, she'll get spots at both if she and her team decide they want to. But they may decide that skipping 4CCs would be better for her, for example. We'll see.
As I see it, for Gabrielle there are really two scenarios, each of which would lead to the opposite result:

1) Gabby's free skate struggle shows she needs more time away from competition, so she shouldn't do 4CC.
2) Gabby's free skate shows that she needs to keep competing to get back in the groove, in which case doing 4CC is the right move.

The first seems more likely, and the safer course, to me.

russell30

As I see it, for Gabrielle there are really two scenarios, each of which would lead to the opposite result:

1) Gabby's free skate struggle shows she needs more time away from competition, so she shouldn't do 4CC.
2) Gabby's free skate shows that she needs to keep competing to get back in the groove, in which case doing 4CC is the right move.

The first seems more likely, and the safer course, to me.

ohhhh so they might pick daleman for 4CC, ok that will be good for her....give her some groove as you point out. Not sure how many spots canada has for World's but we are safe to say Alaine which is great!!

4CC then:

Chartand, Mallet, Daleman

World's

Chartrand (if 2 will they pick Mallet? or daleman)

Colonel Green

-5 GOE for TSN for not only botching the "é" in Véronik's name in the first day broadcast, but also for not having fixed it by the second day. C'mon, guys, basic graphic design.​

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Wow so Chartrand, Austman, and Mallet are going to 4CC. Only Chartrand has been confirmed to the world team, the other spots are TBD following 4CC. Cotop better be given an opportunity for a senior international to get the tech minimums. Heck I'd give Long and Decelles a chance too!

Colonel Green

Cotop better be given an opportunity for a senior international to get the tech minimums.
Seeing as they assigned Schumacher to Junior Worlds, that must be the plan, as when I spoke to her at Nationals (after she skated but before the final standings were known) she was hoping to go to Junior Worlds.

Though that would lead to a somewhat perverse outcome if she isn't able to, with the silver medalist not getting any ISU championship assignment in the end.

Rock2

Well Cotop needs to make a full recovery so it doesnt matter if it doesnt work out this year but hope she makes it to worlds.

I agree. IIRC this was the first event of the season where she did a loop and flip. She's not at 100% yet.

If she really wanted a junior world's slot she should have put the flip in the short. This has historically been a good jump for her so it must not be solid yet if she didn't feel comfortable with this strategy.

She should be rewarded with one more assignment this season of some kind. Yes, a Senior B makes the most sense and is probably the only option. Anything else is a bonus. Not sure if she'd be ready to do 3T/3T and 3F in the short at world's so I'm ok if she stays home and trains.

She and Ravi are progressing well with the basics. Also her jumps look so great in the air and on landing. Already looking forward to her season next year.

mag

I agree. IIRC this was the first event of the season where she did a loop and flip. She's not at 100% yet.

If she really wanted a junior world's slot she should have put the flip in the short. This has historically been a good jump for her so it must not be solid yet if she didn't feel comfortable with this strategy.

She should be rewarded with one more assignment this season of some kind. Yes, a Senior B makes the most sense and is probably the only option. Anything else is a bonus. Not sure if she'd be ready to do 3T/3T and 3F in the short at world's so I'm ok if she stays home and trains.

She and Ravi are progressing well with the basics. Also her jumps look so great in the air and on landing. Already looking forward to her season next year.

First, even if Cotop was feeling confident with the flip, why would she risk it? It was clear from Challenge that it wouldn’t be needed in senior. Second, it is not like Mallet or Austman are doing a 3/3 in the short, so why should Cotop be required to? (I think Mallet did one at Finlandia so she may try it at 4CC’s, but I highly doubt Austman will given that the word is she is not even training one.)

Rock2

First, even if Cotop was feeling confident with the flip, why would she risk it?

If she had a goal of jr. world's, it might have been prudent to demonstrate here she's ready to do it in the short.

Unsure why she was passed over for jr. world's or if this was a factor.

mag

If she had a goal of jr. world's, it might have been prudent to demonstrate here she's ready to do it in the short.

Unsure why she was passed over for jr. world's or if this was a factor.

I have no inside information, but I don’t think she was aiming for Junior Worlds. She wasn’t trying a 3/3 in the short either and given that both Dawson and Schumacher were, I think Cotop was not really in the conversation. She had a much better chance of Senior Worlds, provided she can get the minimums, because she still gets huge PCS even with her pre novice content.

Reading what I just wrote makes clear what is so wrong about the way Women’s skating in Canada is managed.

honey

First, even if Cotop was feeling confident with the flip, why would she risk it? It was clear from Challenge that it wouldn’t be needed in senior. Second, it is not like Mallet or Austman are doing a 3/3 in the short, so why should Cotop be required to? (I think Mallet did one at Finlandia so she may try it at 4CC’s, but I highly doubt Austman will given that the word is she is not even training one.)

Mallet did not do a 3/3 in the short at Finlandia. She did a solo 3T and 3L+2T.

http://www.figureskatingresults.fi/results/1819/CSFIN2018/CSFIN2018_Ladies_SP_Scores.pdf

She posted an instagram story of her doing one in practice at nationals this week...but Tracey made a comment that sounded like she had no intention of trying it in the program. I don't believe she's even completed a 3/3 in competition has she? I think she tried a couple of times before the injury.

Reactions: mag

mag

Mallet did not do a 3/3 in the short at Finlandia. She did a solo 3T and 3L+2T.

http://www.figureskatingresults.fi/results/1819/CSFIN2018/CSFIN2018_Ladies_SP_Scores.pdf

She posted an instagram story of her doing one in practice at nationals this week...but Tracey made a comment that sounded like she had no intention of trying it in the program. I don't believe she's even completed a 3/3 in competition has she? I think she tried a couple of times before the injury.

Sorry, my mistake. So she has basically the same jump content as Austman in the short. Well that is just all the more reason Cotop should be allowed to qualify for Worlds.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

I sure hope so. The thought of all the pressure on Alaine to qualify for the free (because there is a very good chance the other two, whoever they are, will not) is a scarey prospect.

I believe Daleman hasn't been selected to skate at Four Continents. Will performances from the ladies there have any bearing on whether she will be on the world team or not?

The Russians and Japanese are so strong, Team Canada will have to be at their absolute best to make any kind of impression in Saitama.

honey

Just out of curiosity I went back and looked at some of Mallet's previous 3/3 attempts. in the 2015/2016 season she tried it consistently in the short.

2015 Skate Canada 3T+3T<, two footed
2016 Challenge 3T+3T, positive GOE
2016 Nationals 3T+3T, fall (this actually looks much more < than the skate canada attempt, but she was given credit)
2016 4CC 3T+3T, some negative GOE, so I'm assuming two feet again. Can't find a video to confirm.

If she could add the 3T+3T back now, I think she'd score pretty decently in the short, especially given the quality of her loop and axel.

honey

I believe Daleman hasn't been selected to skate at Four Continents. Will performances from the ladies there have any bearing on whether she will be on the world team or not?

The Russians and Japanese are so strong, Team Canada will have to be at their absolute best to make any kind of impression in Saitama.

I would think they'd still give Daleman a shot over the others, regardless of her not being named to 4CC. If she's recovered enough, has enough training time in and she and her team are in favour of it, I think she will be at worlds. I cannot imagine SC being dumb enough to take her out of the conversation completely just because of what happened at nationals.

I think her not going to 4CC is a good thing. It's fair to the others who placed ahead of her at nationals and it gives her the opportunity to take more time to get back into training/continue to heal and recover.

Colonel Green

I have no inside information, but I don’t think she was aiming for Junior Worlds. She wasn’t trying a 3/3 in the short either and given that both Dawson and Schumacher were, I think Cotop was not really in the conversation. She had a much better chance of Senior Worlds, provided she can get the minimums, because she still gets huge PCS even with her pre novice content.
When I interviewed Cotop at Nationals, she said she was indeed hoping to go to Junior Worlds.

Do we think Daleman is still in the mix for worlds?
If Daleman wants to go to Worlds, Skate Canada will send her, no question. I'm sure they would have sent her to Four Continents had she wanted to go, so most likely she wants to regroup a bit before deciding whether to compete at Worlds.

puglover

I was encouraged by what I saw at Nationals. Skate Canada and the fans will probably have to just be patient. I would like to believe that we won't go back to our days of despair in ladies, but it is going to take time to rebuild. We have great coaches and I think we just need to keep the faith.

coppertop1

It’s a tough for our ladies. Kaetlyn is on hiatus and Gabby is just coming back. Without Gabby, we would be most likely down to one berth for Montreal.

Colonel Green

I stand corrected. I question their strategy but obviously it is up to her and her team to decide that.
She did do the flip in the free skate, so obviously she's still practicing it. My guess would be that Ravi wanted to get the highest ordinal ranking possible (which worked out pretty good) and then they could make whatever changes to the program needed later if she did get sent to Junior Worlds.

Aurora said she's tried the 3T-3T in practice of late, and landed a few, but they don't want to push too hard on that at this point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information