2018-2019 Canadian Ladies News and Updates!

Colonel Green

Gabby definitely doesn't need to go to Nationals in order to get on the Worlds/4CC team, if that's something she's aiming to do this season. Skate Canada would send her regardless.

Erin

Banned Member
Gabby definitely doesn't need to go to Nationals in order to get on the Worlds/4CC team, if that's something she's aiming to do this season. Skate Canada would send her regardless.

That may be true but it’s probably not a bad idea to get a competition under her belt before she goes to 4CCs and Worlds. So if she is hoping to go there, it’s encouraging that she is back to training. I also hope that it is a positive sign that things are going better for her.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Don't limit yourself.........;) Might as well combine a few years and really go for it.

Not even I can bring myself to consider that. The splat fest years were dire.

I'm thinking that Tracy Wilson's head will explode with all of the positive reinforcement commentary she may need to action for the senior ladies next January.

Let the drinking games commence.

Colonel Green

That may be true but it’s probably not a bad idea to get a competition under her belt before she goes to 4CCs and Worlds.
Ideally, yes, but if she’s only easing back onto the ice now she’d be rushing things to make a competition that’s less than a month away.

Japanfan

I'm thinking that Tracy Wilson's head will explode with all of the positive reinforcement commentary she may need to action for the senior ladies next January.

Let the drinking games commence.

My thought has always been: it's only the ladies.

Then along came Rochette, Osmand, and Daleman. Don't know if Daleman will be back for Nationals, but if not, you never know - a Canadian lady might just surprise us all.

What I find most :D about Tracy is her body language sometimes when she's sitting in the booth with Rod Black. Especially when she has to fight to get a word in edgewise.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

What I find most :D about Tracy is her body language sometimes when she's sitting in the booth with Rod Black. Especially when she has to fight to get a word in edgewise.

My guess is that she's there to prevent Black from labelling a skater or team, "The Next One". Then you know they are doomed.

I still laugh at Rod's schoolboy crush on Elvis Stojko.

Last edited:

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Then along came Rochette, Osmand, and Daleman. Don't know if Daleman will be back for Nationals, but if not, you never know - a Canadian lady might just surprise us all.

Fingers crossed.

Meagan Duhamel can always come back and compete in the senior ladies' event. Alternately, Canada isn't that far from Russia. Maybe Putin could sneak over Leonova, Tsurskaya, and Sakhanovich when no one is looking.

Last edited:

Rock2

My guess is that she's there to prevent Black from labelling a skater or team, "The Next One". Then you know they are doomed.

I still laugh at Rod's schoolboy crush on Elvis Stojko.

I don't know much about Tracy other than one anecdote from about 10 years ago provided by a friend who does not follow skating.

Seems Tracy was in the same yoga class as her and was always in a polite but forceful way taking over the class as a student, chiming in to give the instructor some feedback and direction along with other some process ideas etc. My friend was like 'who is this woman who does this every week?' and when she found out her name was Tracy and she was some kind of high level skating coach (not Wainman - I asked for a description) she came to me to share.

Tracy is no doubt a sweetheart but I'm sure beneath that approachable exterior remains a driven athlete at heart.

manhn

I would like to know which skaters Rod deemed "The Next One" with actual youtube proof. Barbara Underhill tended to be the one who annointed skaters as The Next One and guess what? She was almost always right.

Winnipeg

I recall Black always saying "Is or will he be the next one?"

I do remember the days of the splat fest ladies comps at Nationals. Hope we do not go back to that.

Lara

Bonjour/Hi to everyone at Worlds!
I would like to know which skaters Rod deemed "The Next One" with actual youtube proof. Barbara Underhill tended to be the one who annointed skaters as The Next One and guess what? She was almost always right.

I’d have to look up videos of Sandhu, Jeff Langdon (96-97 season before the ankle injury) and Jayson Denommée but those are the ones that come to mind. I think Buttle mostly avoided it but there might have been a moment?

IIRC Rod never absolutely anointed a skater, he’d say “he could be the next one”. Still enough of a jinx though.

JasperBoy

Stayin inside
I’d have to look up videos of Sandhu, Jeff Langdon (96-97 season before the ankle injury) and Jayson Denommée but those are the ones that come to mind. I think Buttle mostly avoided it but there might have been a moment?

IIRC Rod never absolutely anointed a skater, he’d say “he could be the next one”. Still enough of a jinx though.
While you'e at it check what he said about Nam.

dramagrrl

While you'e at it check what he said about Nam.
Yes, I'm pretty sure he said something at least very close to that about Nam either when he won his junior title or when he won his senior title. I do specifically remember him saying something along the lines of "They said some day, some day he would be champion... Today is that day!" at the end of his LP that won him the senior title.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

I don't know much about Tracy other than one anecdote from about 10 years ago provided by a friend who does not follow skating.

Seems Tracy was in the same yoga class as her and was always in a polite but forceful way taking over the class as a student, chiming in to give the instructor some feedback and direction along with other some process ideas etc. My friend was like 'who is this woman who does this every week?' and when she found out her name was Tracy and she was some kind of high level skating coach (not Wainman - I asked for a description) she came to me to share.

Tracy is no doubt a sweetheart but I'm sure beneath that approachable exterior remains a driven athlete at heart.

Not surprised one bit. She does strike me as quite the Alpha.

At the 2014 World Championships in Saitama, I had as much fun watching her student, Javier Fernandez skate, as I did seeing Tracy seated in the press stand, moving along to his program.

Erin

Banned Member

I agree it was those three and unfortunately not a lot of them are on YouTube. Here is one from 1999 Canadians where Rod doesn’t use that phrase but he does call Sandhu the heir apparent:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Fq0UJ1M3W_E

I definitely don’t have time to go trawling through my old DVDs especially since they are packed up in a box and it wouldn’t satisfy the silly challenge anyway. Another possibility that might be on YouTube would be Ben Ferreira circa 2000.

D

Deleted member 40371

If Canada goes down to one spot the. Next year could be an issue if both Osmond and Daleman both decides to compete again.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

I agree it was those three and unfortunately not a lot of them are on YouTube. Here is one from 1999 Canadians where Rod doesn’t use that phrase but he does call Sandhu the heir apparent:

I definitely don’t have time to go trawling through my old DVDs especially since they are packed up in a box and it wouldn’t satisfy the silly challenge anyway. Another possibility that might be on YouTube would be Ben Ferreira circa 2000.

I'm reminded of the 2004 Canadian Championships when a severely - weakened Jeff Buttle dropped to third behind Sandhu and Ben Ferreira. From memory, I think he was coming back after getting food poisoning. Weeks later, Buttle won Four Continents in a poorly-skated event, with ordinals all over the place.

timmybopper

Fingers crossed.

Meagan Duhamel can always come back and compete in the senior ladies' event. Alternately, Canada isn't that far from Russia. Maybe Putin could sneak over Leonova, Tsurskaya, and Sakhanovich when no one is looking.

I know you probably said that in jest, but Duhamel has a lutz, toe, salchow and double axel - even with those four jumps alone, she could literally come back and win this year's title! Can you imagine? Should we start the campaign? :)

WildRose

I totally remember him anointing Ben. But not Jeff Buttle, because in Rod’s opinion, if you don’t have a quad you’re nothing.

RoseRed

I know you probably said that in jest, but Duhamel has a lutz, toe, salchow and double axel - even with those four jumps alone, she could literally come back and win this year's title! Can you imagine? Should we start the campaign? :)
It's not a joke. She's said considered going for the 3rd spot last season, but realized she couldn't do both.

screech

I totally remember him anointing Ben. But not Jeff Buttle, because in Rod’s opinion, if you don’t have a quad you’re nothing.
I remember him praising Jeff more than Ben, because Jeff just seemed to have gone from 'middle of the pack' at Canadians, to winning medals on the international scene, out of absolutely nowhere.

WildRose

I remember him praising Jeff more than Ben, because Jeff just seemed to have gone from 'middle of the pack' at Canadians, to winning medals on the international scene, out of absolutely nowhere.
LOL, and I remember screaming at my TV when he would write Jeff off and don’t remember being nearly as annoyed with him about Ben. Still too lazy to go back and look though.:rofl:

Japanfan

If Canada goes down to one spot the. Next year could be an issue if both Osmond and Daleman both decides to compete again.

Their choice.

This.

Though I don't know why Osmond would come back, given all that she's been through and given that she's Olympic Bronze (individually) and World Champion. Other than for sheer love of the sport. Or perhaps she wants to defend her title. I don't see that happening, but she's proved me wrong before.

ETA: I'm not expecting a whole lot from the men this year, either. It's questionable whether Messing can deal with the pressure, Gogolov is a few years away from seniors, I've not heard much about Nam or Nadeau (excepting his one withdrawal from a GP event) this season at all.

I must remind myself that is always the case in FS, one must always be willing to be surprised.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information