2018-2019 Canadian Ladies News and Updates!

Rock2

If she really considered it last year, in the Olympic year (and I think she said she did!), then I for sure wouldn't rule it out as a possibility for next year.

She told TSL very clearly her intention was to compete for the 3rd ladies singles spot in Korea. She even informed Skate Canada. While touring in the spring of 2017 she worked on 3F to get rid of edge call (Gabby helped her) and KO taught her level 4 spins. She had her jump layouts figured out. When she went back to training and was doing choreo for the short she realized her body likely wouldn't handle it. Also her left foot had a floating piece of bone that made the 3T painful and thus prevented any 3/3 combo for the short. Knowing the effort needed to likely not come out of the short in Korea caused her to change her mind.

As for next year, certainly skating at World's in Montreal would be a gas. If I'm a betting man I'd say the only chance of her coming back is if she can fix her foot AND we keep 2 spots AND one of Gabby and KO does not skate next year. If all that comes together she might.

IloveFS

My crack theory is that I wouldn't be surprised if Meagan Duhamel turns up skating singles.

She actually had singles programs choreographed to try to make the 2018 Olympics but her coaches talked her out of it.

I've noticed with interest that she's been practicing her full range of solo triples while on the Thank You Canada Tour (which she was doing during the period when she was thinking about doing singles last season).

I like your crack theory!!! I hope you are on to something!

DimaToe

Retired by Frank Carroll
I got to speak to Meagan at the Autumn Classic and I got the impression she was genuinely disappointed that the Thank You Canada tour conflicted with the Canadian qualifying season. I would not be surprised at all if she competed singles next year.

This must happen, like it’s been treated as a ”joke” but Duhamel could really teach the current crop of singles skaters how to train and compete by slaying them in competition.

coppertop1

If Meagan was to come back, wouldn't it be as a pair skater? She hung up her single skating. She definitely could help coach the ladies, though.

dramagrrl

If Meagan was to come back, wouldn't it be as a pair skater? She hung up her single skating. She definitely could help coach the ladies, though.
Why would she want to come back as a pairs skater? She found her soulmate partner and accomplished everything she wanted to as a pairs skater. The fact that she was considering skating singles last year with so much on the line for her in an Olympic season is proof that she still has some unfinished dreams about her singles career. Of course, that doesn't mean that she will come back to skate singles or even wants to; it's just speculation based on the current state of ladies singles skating in Canada and her plans for last season that never came to fruition.

Sylvia

TBD
Meagan mentioned recently in an Instagram story that she only recently started doing toe jumps (IIRC she included brief clips of her doing doubles?) again now that her foot pain has subsided.

Sylvia

TBD
When are the entries for the Skate Canada Challenge announced?
This week, according to the event page ("Start Orders will be posted week of November 19, 2018."). I can start a competition thread in Kiss & Cry once they're published.

mag

I and a bad feeling Gabby will not be at Nationals. This could be an interesting year.

Erin

Banned Member
I don't see why Megan could not get a bye.
Yes, I don't see why she couldn't get a bye to Nationals with her skating resume!!!

As much as I personally would love to see Meagan compete as a singles skater, it would smack of favouritism and set a terrible precedent to give a bye without meeting set criteria. Not that I'm aware that anything like this is going to happen, just speaking in the hypothetical of course.

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
So now that we have seen everyone at Challenge, I am looking to next season.

Assuming that this year's 4CC and Worlds are some combo of Chartrand, Austman, Daleman, Mallet, and Pineault, and the Jr. World lady could really be anyone at this point, but probably one of Tamura, Dawson, Orzel, Bulawka, or Cotop...

Assuming there are only 6 or 7 spots on JGP, I would go with novice champ (maybe Melody Zhu if old enough), Schumacher (11/02), Hannah Dawson (5/01), Emma Bulawka (4/03), Amelia Orzel (approx 2003), Madeline Schizas (approx 2003), Rosalie Vincent (prob between 01 and 03). Possibly Olivia Gran (4/03).

Senior B- Blanchard (11/00), Lavoie-Leonard, and Ganci were born in 2000 or so from what I can gather. Tamura (1/01), Helene Carle (approx 2001), and Cotop (7/02) all should focus on seniors at this point IMO. I guess Pineault would be here too. The best performing two of these ladies can get a SC slot. And seriously, I hope two of these. The 4 below should be able to get their own by this year's SB ranking.

GP- Chartrand, Daleman, Mallet, and Austman, whichever are left standing, can hopefully improve their SB into the 40s and get 1 GP slot each....

nadioso

So now that we have seen everyone at Challenge, I am looking to next season.

Assuming that this year's 4CC and Worlds are some combo of Chartrand, Austman, Daleman, Mallet, and Pineault, and the Jr. World lady could really be anyone at this point, but probably one of Tamura, Dawson, Orzel, Bulawka, or Cotop...

Tamura has not competed in a junior international last season or this so she does not have a qualifying score for JW. The flip is not a comfortable jump for her either.

Cotop did not even try the flip in her SP at the challenge and went for an easier layour. I can finally see the first results of Ravi reworking her jumps. I expect her to not think about juniors at this point and IMO she should have all the jumps back for next season as she is doing the easier triples really nicely now.

Hopefully SC considers more than national results especially as it reasonable to expect the senior scores to get a bigger jump from nationals inflation than juniors.

SC does need to learn to send more ladies to senior B and junior B events so they can have a bigger pool to choose from for JW and senior worlds.

Austman only has a score to qualify for 4CC. Her world qualifying score from 2 seasons ago has expired. At least she can get that score at 4CC.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Does mallet qualify for Canadians after not competing at challenge?

I hope so, as being assigned a senior grand prix gives a bye - but she withdrew from Skate Canada International, so I don't know. I don't know if there is precedent for this.

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
The funny thing is, I looked for a skater with a reliable 3f plus other jumps in the junior field and it doesn't exist. Dawson had negative GOE in both SP and FS. Bulawka neg GOE in SP, doesn't try in FS. Schizas the best here- actually positive GOE in SP but doesn't try in FS. Orzel fell in SP, didn't try in FS. Carr good one in SP, but missed it in a rough fs. What do you do with that? I guess just go with whoever wins the comp...ultimately if you want someone with a prayer of top 10, you gotta go with someone who can score 100 in a FS.

Last edited:

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
I was just watching junior ladies on and off, but I marked Rosalie Vincent as one to watch in the future. She had a really nice Chopin long program (more Chopin in skating would be a good thing!), and she performed it well.

I continue to be a fan of Hannah Dawson, but girlfriend's got to get her jumps together! She just didn't seem to have enough speed going into them.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
ultimately if you want someone with a prayer of top 10, you gotta go with someone who can score 100 in a FS.

You gotta qualify to skate the free first, which is never a given. I mean the last time we had two spots at junior worlds, neither skater made the cut.

I think Skate Canada needs to really consider consistency in the short program when picking the spot. Schumacher has the highest SP international score this year (and last year as I recall). I hope she skates well at nationals because IMO she is our best chance at junior worlds. If not her Blanchard.

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
I can't really agree that Schumacher is the best they could send. She finished 9th and 12th at her JGPs (finishing lowest of the 3 Canadians there) and did not break 150 either time. She was 5th in Juniors at Canadians last year, and 10th in the SP at Challenge, with problems on both her combo and solo jump...honestly, she is not even a top 3 jr eligible skater by any standard right now.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
So international results mean nothing? Schumacher has the highest SP score of the junior eligible skaters and has the second highest score overall (less than two points behind Blanchard). I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
Her SB score (with 2 attempts) is 93rd. Sending the 93rd best skater to Junior Worlds is like taking a knee. What you aren't taking into account is that Carle, Tamura, Schizas, Orzel, Beatrice LL, and Gran did not compete internationally this season, and Cotop only did one when she was still recovering from whatever. If Bulawka, Blanchard, and Dawson got more than one event, they might be scoring a little higher too...

RoseRed

So international results mean nothing? Schumacher has the highest SP score of the junior eligible skaters and has the second highest score overall (less than two points behind Blanchard). I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.
But you said consistency in the SP. That was your point. Does Alison really show that?

Let's look at her SPs: At Minto she came 4th in her group of junior ladies with 42.24 (1Lz, 3F<< fall, 2A). At JGP Bratislava she came 8th with 55.74 (3S-3T<, 3F, 2A). At JGP Canada, she came 14th (3rd of the Canadian ladies) with 41.98 (3S<-2T, 2F, 2A fall). At Ontario Sectionals she came 3rd with 56.63 (3S-3T, 3F<< fall, 2A) skating senior. Here at Challenge she came 10th with 50.95 (3S-3T<, 3F<, 2A).

I'm sorry, you cannot call that SP consistency. She's got the 3F all of one time, 2 << falls, one pop and one that was only UR. She's had one that's mostly clean. 2 good scores, one medium and two really bad scores. Plus one of the good scores and the medium score came in seniors, where they'll be a bit higher.

Which is not to say she shouldn't go if she does the best at Nationals, but SP consistency is not an argument in her favour.

Someone who's actually had a bit of SP consistency is Hannah Dawson. Her SP results: She came 2nd at Quebec Summer Skate with 57.67 (3T-2T, 3F, 2A). She came 9th at JGP Canada (1st of Canadian ladies) with 54.02 (3T-3T, 3F, 2A). She came first at Challenge in Jrs with 57.34 (3T-3T, 3F, 2A). She's getting some negative GOE, but mostly small and it's all landed and rotated. She had the 3F every time, the triple triple two out of 3. Plus the other girls have -ve GOE too.

And to be clear, I'm not saying she's the one they should send. But based on your point about SP consistency, Hannah would be a better choice than Alison.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Points take. But Schumacher has skated internationally four times and only had one poor short program (in Vancouver this year). The other three times she scored above 52 points.

nadioso

Well. Alison aced the long. Only a slight UR on the 2A - 3T combo but +GOE everywhere else.

If she could put 2 programs together like the long, she definitely could be top 10. at JW.

Remember though, the main focus is how many countries have at least one skater that finishes ahead of us at JW as that determines JGP spots which is so crucial.

I think we are unlikely to get 14 spots next year but if Alison skates 2 programs like she did in the long , we definitely could get 7 spots.

Remember countries with 7 slots can get a few more slots from countries ( with 6 or more slots ) that don't fill their quota so 7 could become 9 or 10.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information