2018-2019 Canadian Ladies News and Updates!

Colonel Green

Aurora Cotop is no longer on the ISU entry list for the Austria Challenger. Does anyone know what's up?
Could be a training injury, or it could be that they thought better of the original plan for her to go that early. She seemed very much a work in progress at JGP Slovenia, as I said before; I was figuring that they'd send her to Zagreb, since that would give them the most time to prepare, so maybe they've gone to that option.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
I was hoping to see Cotop on the list for Golden Spin after her name was removed from the Austria challenger. So I wonder if they are planning to send her to another senior international to get her minimums before nationals.

Quoting from the Challenger Series thread:

Maybe SC has decided to wait until Nationals and then send people out? The problem with that is it will be too late for 4CC’s. They have sent a few out already, but if Gabby doesn’t show up at Nationals it will be interesting. If Sarah Tamura doesn’t have the 4CC’s score it would have been a good idea to send her out.

After the tech minimum scores were revised, Tamura unfortunately is now fractions of a point shy of having the 4CC minimums in both segments. And Emy Decelles is short of the revised free skate TES.

That means as of now, Daleman, Chartrand, Pineault, and Mallet are eligible for worlds and 4CC, and Long and Austman are eligible for 4CC only.

http://www.isuresults.com/isujsstat/tes/stsljustsensep.htm (TES List per country)

https://www.isu.org/communications/18349-isu-communication-2205/file (Scroll to page 4 for the revised TES minimums)

It will be interesting to see if there is a surprise medalist at nationals for ladies (with everyone being inconsistent, this is possible) who doesn't have their TES minimums.

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
The top 6 scoring ladies from Sectionals are-

Larkyn Austman 182
Sarah Tamura 156
Allison Schumacher 156
Jane Gray 155
Aislinn Ganci 155
Sarah-Maude Blanchard 153

I would send them to a senior international to hopefully at least acquire 4CC scores...but yea, even if Daleman and Mallet need the season off, CAN isn't going to get a much better 4cc team than Chartrand, Pineault, and Austman. But if one of them is out, I'd rather send one of the above than Long. Emma Bulawka showed all triples through the lutz in her junior event at Sectionals and scored 156- IMO she is the best choice for junior worlds right now.

Last edited:

mag

@haribobo Do you really think Austman would even qualify for the free at 4CC’s with the content she put out at Sectionals?
3lo< + 2T
3S<
2A sketchy

She also have never got a level 4 steps from an international panel and usually get level 2 and 3 spins. She will also not be seeing 4 and 5’s in GOE.

My point isn’t that Austman shouldn’t get a spot if she shows up and Nationals and actually lays it down, the point is that she was given/earned a huge opportunity last season and failed to capitalize on it. She has arrived this season under trained and not prepared. It seems to me there are other skaters who should be given the opportunity to get the senior minimums so we don’t end up with Nationals judges pre judging the events based on who has the scores. I don’t see the harm in making Austman and Chartrand work hard for their spots. Neither are likely to be around for 2022 so if it is a case of “they are all the same anyway” then let’s use the spots for development rather than just sending a 20 somethings skaters who have regressed rather than progressed.

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
At 2017 Challenge Cup, Larkyn landed a clean 3f and 2ax with positive GOE in the SP, and clean 3s-2t-2r, 3z, 2ax to 2ax, 3t-2t, and 3s, all with positive GOE again in the FS. She won bronze with a score of 157, which was higher than both Pineault (by 5 points) and Long (by 10 points) scored at 4CC 2018. Her SP score of 53.21 would put her 12th at 4CC. There were only 23 skaters at 4CC last season, so nobody was cut.

Now at Sectionals, in the SP Larkyn scored positive GOE on her 2ax. For her loop combo she scored 4.8 and sal got 3.3. Still managed to score 58 for IMO deservedly high PCS for a well skated overall program. Her PCS in the short was 29 vs. her 25 for that challenge cup comp. In the FS at Sectionals, she did clean 3r-2t, 2ax to 2ax, 3r, 3s-2t-2r, 3t, and 3s, all with positive GOE. Only mistake was fall on 3f. That is really impressive for a Canadian lady! PCS was 61 vs. 53 at her challenge cup comp. So even pairing her TES from Sectionals with one of her intl comp PCS would give her and overall score of 182 - 12 = 170. Only Chartrand and Mallet thus far have scored 170+ at their Internationals. Your vendetta against Larkyn is obvious, but IMO your assertion that she is overscored is unfounded. Yes she gets higher PCS locally but who doesn't. There's no reason to tear down someone who is trying their best. I'm sorry she is deservedly beating your favorites.

All that aside, I don't disagree that Skate Canada should still be sending some new/other skaters out for a chance to get TES minimums and a SB score. There's no reason to keep Gray and Ganci away from international competition altogether, and would be good for Tamura, Schumacher, and Blanchard to get at least one senior opportunity this year. And Austman has not had any int'l experience due to withdrawing from SC, so she could also use more. I do get that Zagreb starts 3 days after Challenge ends but I hope there are other comps they could attend...or just give them the shot and a bye through Challenge...

And if one of the above shines at Nationals and Larkyn tanks for whatever reason, I will be just as happy to see a newer skater get the 4CC and/or Worlds spot. So far, it has been Larkyn getting the job done at Nationals, so she has gotten the assignments.

Its a bummer that Cotop withdrew from Inge Solar and that nobody was assigned alongside or in place of her. Lots of missed opportunities going on here...

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
I caught a recent IG story of Véronik Mallet in which she showed herself working out on a stationary bike with her foot in a boot. Hoping her healing process is going well!

Last edited:

starrynight

My crack theory is that I wouldn't be surprised if Meagan Duhamel turns up skating singles.

She actually had singles programs choreographed to try to make the 2018 Olympics but her coaches talked her out of it.

I've noticed with interest that she's been practicing her full range of solo triples while on the Thank You Canada Tour (which she was doing during the period when she was thinking about doing singles last season).

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
My crack theory is that I wouldn't be surprised if Meagan Duhamel turns up skating singles.

She actually had singles programs choreographed to try to make the 2018 Olympics but her coaches talked her out of it.

I've noticed with interest that she's been practicing her full range of solo triples while on the Thank You Canada Tour (which she was doing during the period when she was thinking about doing singles last season).

I would love that but she would still need to go through the qualifying process. So not happening this year.

starrynight

I would love that but she would still need to go through the qualifying process. So not happening this year.

This season would have been the best season for it as Canada has 3 spots and Meagan getting one would be mostly uncontroversial (particularly if Gabby isn't ready to come back).

I suppose it depends on how many ladies spots Canada has next season and who is skating.

Too bad they can't just give Meagan a bye to Nationals based on her pairs results.

Rock2

There would have been a realistic chance Meagan would go for it this year if she could have fit full training and qualification process into her schedule.

Small chance she'd think about it next year, but with only 2 spots or maybe 1, it wouldn't be worth it in light of her other opportunities and projects.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
There would have been a realistic chance Meagan would go for it this year if she could have fit full training and qualification process into her schedule.
I suspect the Thank You Canada Tour alone would have been enough training to be competitive at Canadian Nationals this season. Then she'd have time to continue training through 4C's and, probably, Worlds.

Rock2

I suspect the Thank You Canada Tour alone would have been enough training to be competitive at Canadian Nationals this season. Then she'd have time to continue training through 4C's and, probably, Worlds.

Possibly. Assuming the TYCT had open spots where she could attend the qualifying comps it's still pretty tough.

Yes, she could probably qualify for nationals by short-forming it but her goal would be to be at or near her peak at that event, not knowing where the bar would be when you're planning in the spring (turns out, pretty low as we're seeing so far). She hasn't competed in singles in what, 10 years? And at her age she wouldn't have a sense of what her body would need to be ready.

Add that to her natural instinct which is to go after things 100% once she commits, and to also be a creature of habit and discipline to train and be ready, and I could see a ton of uncertainty here that would stop her from going for it. Too much else going on for her to take control of her training and prioritize it when she needed to.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Understood @Rock2, especially given her temperament and standards of excellence. Looking in from my fan POV, with three spots, and the current state of Canadian Ladies, it seems to me she could spend six weeks post-tour slowly ramping up the programs she developed last year, shower, roll out of bed, be on the Women's National podium, and get a Worlds spot, but that likely wouldn't be rewarding.

honey

Why can't she qualify this year? Nationals are not until January

Because sectionals (the first qualifying step) have already happened or are happening in the next week or so. And then there’s also Challenge in December. You don’t just show up at nationals without qualifying unless you have a bye (which she does not have).

Would have been fun to see her there though ;)

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Why can't she qualify this year? Nationals are not until January

Duhamel would have needed to skate at sectionals to qualify for the challenge, which she didn't do (schedule conflicted with the tour). Not sure if the tour conflicts with the challenge competition too.

starrynight

Is there any word on Gabby?

I'm interested to see who will be on the national podium for ladies if she is not ready to compete.

coppertop1

Meagan is 32. She's past the competing in Singles and has earned her retirement.

Is there any word on Gabby?

I'm interested to see who will be on the national podium for ladies if she is not ready to compete.

The podium would probably be.
Gold and silver- Chartrand and Austman
Bronze- up for grabs

clairecloutier

Small chance she'd think about it next year, but with only 2 spots or maybe 1, it wouldn't be worth it in light of her other opportunities and projects.

I so love the fact that Meagan could even, or might even, consider competing in singles this year or next year.

If she really considered it last year, in the Olympic year (and I think she said she did!), then I for sure wouldn't rule it out as a possibility for next year. Too many unknowns to account for now, in terms of next year (how many Worlds spots will CAN ladies have? will Kaetlyn come back? will Gabby be ready for competition again?), but Meagan's still practicing her triples so who knows?? :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information