2018-2019 Canadian Ladies News and Updates!

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
I don't remember how last minute it was, but in 2016 Mallet withdrew from Skate Canada International. They did not replace her
She was removed on the Ladies roster list on the ISU site dated 25 October 16. The event started on 28 October 16.

million$momma

SC doesn't care.
Skaters in Northern Ontario struggle with competing at all, now that all Ontario sections have been merged. There used to be multiple competitions in Northern Ontario, but Skate Canada has now abolished almost all of them (and the last one is hanging on by half a thread), and for some skaters, it's extremely hard to get to competitions in Central Ontario, or to even be permitted to skate there.

So I doubt SC is going to start sending more skaters out to international events, since they barely even provide upcoming skaters with provincial or national events.

Any Ontario skater, possessing the correct test levels and meeting the age requirements, can compete at all of the Sectional Series competitions regardless of where they live. These are the competitions that qualify you for Sectionals (which qualifies you for Challenge and then Nationals). What do you mean 'permitted to skate there'?

screech

Any Ontario skater, possessing the correct test levels and meeting the age requirements, can compete at all of the Sectional Series competitions regardless of where they live. These are the competitions that qualify you for Sectionals (which qualifies you for Challenge and then Nationals). What do you mean 'permitted to skate there'?
From what I've heard, some of the events have caps on entries (due to scheduling, judges, ice time...). So I guess it was misleading - it's not Northern Ontario skaters who can't skate, but it occasionally ends up being a first come/first served (from all who want to enter)

But I do think that it would be good to have one of the competitions in an easier to reach locale (for Northerners). I mean, if you look at a map of Ontario. North Bay is in the southern part of the province. It takes less than 4 hours to get there from Toronto or Ottawa - it's actually closer to Ottawa than Toronto is. It wouldn't be difficult to hold one of the events there (or in Sudbury, which is just a bit further from each of the major cities). And it would allow more opportunities for the Northern Ontario skaters to get to compete.
Those from Thunder Bay are kind of screwed either way.

million$momma

From what I've heard, some of the events have caps on entries (due to scheduling, judges, ice time...). So I guess it was misleading - it's not Northern Ontario skaters who can't skate, but it occasionally ends up being a first come/first served (from all who want to enter)

But I do think that it would be good to have one of the competitions in an easier to reach locale (for Northerners). I mean, if you look at a map of Ontario. North Bay is in the southern part of the province. It takes less than 4 hours to get there from Toronto or Ottawa - it's actually closer to Ottawa than Toronto is. It wouldn't be difficult to hold one of the events there (or in Sudbury, which is just a bit further from each of the major cities). And it would allow more opportunities for the Northern Ontario skaters to get to compete.
Those from Thunder Bay are kind of screwed either way.
However, Thunder Bay did receive 2 of the Super Series competitions and there is also one in Sault St. Marie and one in Little Current.

screech

Good to know! Glad there's some competitions getting up there. I know there used to be a lot more (like annual ones held by different clubs).

In any case, we're getting off track lol. Looking forward to Autumn Classic!!!

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
I quite enjoyed Alicia's performances at Autumn Classic.

I dont know much about her yet.

Can she contend for the silver at Canadian Nationals?

She has my attention!

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Pineault also had a higher short program TES last season - 31.5 at the US Classic, so even if the minimum score is raised, she'll likely be good.

mag

So any news about changes to the SC roster? I can’t believe, given the early season results, that both Chartrand and Austman will keep their spots.

ichiro

I'm still shocked that SC has not changed their SC roster too! There are so many juniors that have competed this season that they could have easily chosen from. Even Mallet without a 3Z or 3F yet would be a wiser choice.

On a side note: I know it's going to be a long process with Aurora. She appeared faster and her stroking was noticeably less choppy than before. I'm happy she's with Ravi.

nadioso

I'm still shocked that SC has not changed their SC roster too! There are so many juniors that have competed this season that they could have easily chosen from. Even Mallet without a 3Z or 3F yet would be a wiser choice.

Skaters who competed on the JGP can't be chosen for a senior GP event like SC. However I would give those skaters senior B events.

That said Pineault and Mallet deserve the slots more.

Rafter

On a side note: I know it's going to be a long process with Aurora. She appeared faster and her stroking was noticeably less choppy than before. I'm happy she's with Ravi.

Yes but she’s lost the jumps due to puberty it seems. We’ll see if she can get them back once she’s used to her new body.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
I'd be surprised if they changed the SCI spots unless someone is injured. But if someone is injured they better not leave the spot unfilled. I think Pineault deserves it (and should have got it last year IMO).

Mallet is on her way to getting the worlds TES minimums in Finland. She's landed everything at both her summer/fall competitions but has only done two different triples. Still that will probably be enough to get a worlds spot, and her Finlandia showing would probably qualify to skate the free there.

The big question is who gets the junior worlds spot. Probably the top finisher at nationals among those with the TES minimums, but it's hard to say since some will be skating junior and some senior I'm guessing.

Another question is will Skate Canada give any more senior international assignments. I would send Schumacher, Blanchard and Cotop somewhere to try to get the senior TES minimums. And I also think Kim Deguise-Leveillee has been overlooked the last two years and I'd love to see her get something but I doubt it at this point.

RoseRed

I'd be surprised if they changed the SCI spots unless someone is injured. But if someone is injured they better not leave the spot unfilled. I think Pineault deserves it (and should have got it last year IMO).

Mallet is on her way to getting the worlds TES minimums in Finland. She's landed everything at both her summer/fall competitions but has only done two different triples. Still that will probably be enough to get a worlds spot, and her Finlandia showing would probably qualify to skate the free there.

The big question is who gets the junior worlds spot. Probably the top finisher at nationals among those with the TES minimums, but it's hard to say since some will be skating junior and some senior I'm guessing.

Another question is will Skate Canada give any more senior international assignments. I would send Schumacher, Blanchard and Cotop somewhere to try to get the senior TES minimums. And I also think Kim Deguise-Leveillee has been overlooked the last two years and I'd love to see her get something but I doubt it at this point.
Aurora is on the Nationals team, so I expect she will get a senior B. The question is more whether anyone else will be sent out too. I actually think it's more important for them to send Jo and Conrad that the junior ladies honestly, but the more the better.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Mallet had a nice free skate as well and finished 6th overall.

Is it really possible that Canada could swap out another host at Skate Canada and sub in Mallet?

Colonel Green

Veronik did great, particularly when she's not doing the flip or the Lutz. Assuming she doesn't get swapped into SCI (and I think the fed made up its mind on that point), I wonder if she'll try to upgrade the TES a bit more between now and nationals.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Mallet always had a pretty bad flutz. But her triple flip was good, but not always consistent. She has posted on her instagram story doing triple toe triple toe in practice so it would be great if she could add it.

blademate

Did anyone else catch Gabby’s insta live a few days ago? Is she actively training? Her W/D from Japan Open due to “poor physical condition” was rather alarming, I hope she is doing ok, Canadian Ladies will sure have a rough year without her!

blademate

I’d rather not elaborate. If anyone else saw it (or watches TSL) they will know why I’m asking. I’m just curious if anyone knows how her training is going...

I was hoping this would be Gabby’s year to shine now that Kaetlyn is gone, I hope the pressure of being Canada’s #1 is not getting to her 😢

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information