2018-2019 Canadian Ladies News and Updates!

Foolhardy Ham Lint

I’d rather not elaborate. If anyone else saw it (or watches TSL) they will know why I’m asking. I’m just curious if anyone knows how her training is going...

I was hoping this would be Gabby’s year to shine now that Kaetlyn is gone, I hope the pressure of being Canada’s #1 is not getting to her 😢

You have to wonder if there is some kind of formula for skaters who seem to continually get it right.

Daleman must be so frustrated, having reached the world podium, trying to replicate that success.

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
I hope Gabby can sort her personal life out, must be so hard to be a young girl with social media the way it is these days, I’m glad I didn’t have to deal with it decades back.

Dobre

The season has started and the minimum scores have not been decided?

The scoring system changed, and I think they wanted to see how it would work in practice before updating minimum scores. We should be hearing about them soon now, I believe.

Catherine M

Bringing this question over from the Grand Prix assignment thread.

Do we know what's wrong with Daleman & Austman for both of them to be out of Skate Canada!?!?

And waving hi at Skate Canada minions lurking around--better fill all THREE of those empty spots as I'm coming a long way and 9 ladies won't cut it. Ok, merci beaucoup.

RoseRed

Bringing this question over from the Grand Prix assignment thread.

Do we know what's wrong with Daleman & Austman for both of them to be out of Skate Canada!?!?

And waving hi at Skate Canada minions lurking around--better fill all THREE of those empty spots as I'm coming a long way and 9 ladies won't cut it. Ok, merci beaucoup.
Gabby withdrew from Japan Open, with the reason given as "poor physical condition". We don't know anything beyond that. She was diagnosed with IBS this summer - it could be related to that, but she hasn't said. Larkyn WD from ACI with no reason given.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
I say this as a huge fan or Chartrand...:If Skate Canada does not let Mallet and Pineault compete at SCI, what a huge slap in the face. They both outscored Chartrand at their internationals.
Please Skate canada do the right thing!

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
^^^^ Why wouldnt they do that? I cant think of any other skaters to replace Daleman and Austmann then Mallet or Pineault...Am I missing something?

Rock2

Don't care. Just put at least one person in with a pulse.
Veronik....Alicia....Joannie.....Jennifer....Josee....Netty. Couldn't care less.

Speaking of Netty, we're about to regress to 1995 when our national champion has a 3L as their big jump. Someone shoot me in the face. Please.

honey

Speaking of Netty, we're about to regress to 1995 when our national champion has a 3L as their big jump. Someone shoot me in the face. Please.

Now, now things aren’t quite as dire as that are they :p I haven’t seen any indication that Daleman wont be competing at nationals and that alone will mean the winner can do more than a 3T. Unless you have more info that the rest of us do on whatever her injury/reason for withdrawal is :sekret:

I think giving these spots to Mallet and Pineault would be the only right way to handle this. They have acquitted themselves fairly well this fall and deserve a shot.

barbarafan

Don't care. Just put at least one person in with a pulse.
Veronik....Alicia....Joannie.....Jennifer....Josee....Netty. Couldn't care less.

Or Emy Decelles if Pineault cannot skate for some reason. Mallet is in now...one cdn spot to fill

Sylvia

TBD

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Best wishes to Gabby and Larkyn as they heal. It's not easy to talk about mental health issues, so I'm very proud of Gabby for being open about her struggles.

I wonder if Pineault and Mallet will be added to the national team, as the men who had grand prix assignments but who were not top five at 2018 nationals were.

Mallet has been so consistent, albeit with easier jump content. Let's hope she gets the triple toe triple toe down in the short at some point, because that would put her in a decent position after the short program down the road.

ichiro

Definitely not as dire as 1995. Canada has a host of ladies that can land the 3Z and armed with a 3/3. Alicia has all the jumps 3/3 and 2A/3T. Mallet's coming back from an injury hopefully she'll regain her harder jumps. Then there's Emy and even Sarah-M (doesn't have a 3/3 yet).

Side note: I actually liked Netty Kim a lot, if she had all the triples she'd easily place in the top 10 (nice spins, good edges, decent choreography).

Sylvia

TBD
Re-posting from the GP Assignments thread and replying here:
If I were part of the Canadian fed, right now I'd be promising Kaetlyn Osmond a car, a pony, a lifetime supply of chocolate, anything to come back in time for Worlds. I'm not saying the other ladies don't have promise, but promise isn't going to help them keep Worlds spots. Even if Gabby is much better by then, it would be a heavy burden on her shoulders.
So true!

Competitive skating in the ladies category is at the point where an athlete needs to skate clean with three triples in the short, and seven triples in the free, for serious consideration.

I can't see how Skate Canada will maintain three spots in Saitama for Montreal 2020, with Daleman and Austman struggling, and Osmond out.
It's not Kaetlyn's personal responsibility to help Canada retain spots for Worlds. IMO, she has earned the right to take the 2018-19 season off and figure out what's best for herself.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Re-posting from the GP Assignments thread and replying here:

It's not Kaetlyn's personal responsibility to help Canada retain spots for Worlds. IMO, she has earned the right to take the 2018-19 season off and figure out what's best for herself.

Sheesh. I never implied that at all. I'm just (realistically) detailing Canada's chances with their current crop.

Last edited:

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
She certainly has earned the right. I'm only speculating on what the Canadian fed is probably thinking right now. But of course she's not bound to follow their wishes. She's done a fantastic job representing her country and she doesn't owe them a thing.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
I know I probably sound like a broken record LOL but Skate Canada really should have sent more skaters to senior internationals to get their minimums. And frankly to get experience. That's the only way to get better.

Schumacher is skating senior this week at the Octoberfest event so is probably (?) doing senior at nationals. Send her and Blanchard, Cotop, and Bausback to a senior international before nationals please!

I think Blanchard is one to watch and if I had to pick a darkhorse to make the national team in 2019 it would be her.

mag

SC really only has itself to blame if we go down to 1 spot for 2020 Worlds. It was very clear to anyone giving it any thought last year that the Olympic team was going to be three of four skaters. A great way to turn people off the sport. If I was Alicia P’s coach I would have been furious about the selections for 2017 Skate Canada. SC is great at putting out benchmarks it wants Skaters to meet, but is more than happy to throw them away when a favoured one doesn’t meet them. Again this year the original selections for SC were baffling.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Definitely not as dire as 1995. Canada has a host of ladies that can land the 3Z and armed with a 3/3. Alicia has all the jumps 3/3 and 2A/3T. Mallet's coming back from an injury hopefully she'll regain her harder jumps. Then there's Emy and even Sarah-M (doesn't have a 3/3 yet).

Side note: I actually liked Netty Kim a lot, if she had all the triples she'd easily place in the top 10 (nice spins, good edges, decent choreography).

When Chouinard and Preston turned pro, and Humphreys struggled with a back injury, Skate Canada was in a bit of a hole following the Lillehammer Games.

I'm sorry that Tanya Bingert never had the chance to shine on the world stage. She could have easily won the national title in 1995, if she had stuck around.

I saw Bingert compete in person at the 1994 Canadian Championships, and her short program was really something.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

I know I probably sound like a broken record LOL but Skate Canada really should have sent more skaters to senior internationals to get their minimums. And frankly to get experience. That's the only way to get better.

Schumacher is skating senior this week at the Octoberfest event so is probably (?) doing senior at nationals. Send her and Blanchard, Cotop, and Bausback to a senior international before nationals please!

I think Blanchard is one to watch and if I had to pick a darkhorse to make the national team in 2019 it would be her.

Schumacher has been getting dinged a bit for under-rotating her jumps, though.

Last edited:

coppertop1

This'll be rough for our ladies but it's important that Gabby looks after herself. I hope she comes back refreshed for Canadians. I'm also glad that Skate Canada put Mallet and Pineault in for Skate Canada.

Colonel Green

As far as the younger girls go, I expect they will send one or more to Zagreb now that the JGP is done. I'd definitely send Schumacher, who has big jumps, and she can land a triple-triple, albeit still working on not UR-ing the second jump. Cotop kind of looks to be more of a work in progress right now, not sure about taking her to Worlds, but that'd be something for her and her coach to assess better than we can.

SC really only has itself to blame if we go down to 1 spot for 2020 Worlds. It was very clear to anyone giving it any thought last year that the Olympic team was going to be three of four skaters. A great way to turn people off the sport. If I was Alicia P’s coach I would have been furious about the selections for 2017 Skate Canada. SC is great at putting out benchmarks it wants Skaters to meet, but is more than happy to throw them away when a favoured one doesn’t meet them. Again this year the original selections for SC were baffling.
I don't think that SC's decisions have much of anything to do with it. While, like any fed, they do focus on some skaters, if somebody else wants their attention, go out and demonstrate the technical content. Skate Canada will pay attention to anybody who can do a triple-triple combination, and if you don't have that, it's not a lack of Grand Prix assignments that is holding you back.

Dobre

I am sad that Gabby is out for now. The potential stress of trying to win only one spot should both she & Kaetlyn decide to compete next year for a chance at a home Worlds seemed like a solid motivation for Gabby to compete this season/control her own destiny looking ahead. Also I liked that she was going to get to skate at home for SC and as Canada's number one. Feel like with her experience at this point in her career, she could have stepped up to the challenge--albeit with some normal bumps along the way.

But these post-Olympic seasons--they are notorious for top athletes withdrawing. They work so hard during the Olympic year. Then they work hard trying to take advantage of post-Olympic opportunities. Then we expect them to come back with half the training time and be ready to rule the World in the fall, which is really a bit of craziness when you think about it. My best wishes to her in finding her own balance. And may she come back strong and ready to rock & roll, hopefully in skating but even if not, then in whatever goals she sets for herself.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information