2018-2019 Canadian Ladies News and Updates!

aftershocks

Banned Member
I don't know if this was posted here yet: Gabby Daleman's new fp (competed at a recent summer comp in Canada):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdNxRWyu0Nk

It doesn't look like Gabby has gone full bore blonde, just some golden highlights from what I can detect from this clip. Anywyay, she's looking fit and the program seems to suit her. It appears to be a mix of music selections. There's work to do obviously, but this program has potential to evolve.

Colonel Green

Keeping track of how the junior ladies' tech development is going, Emma Bulawka got a ratified 3T-3T in the short at JGP Austria. Problems with her other jumps (doubled flip, 2A getting downgraded even though to my admittedly untrained eye it looked fine). Nice performance quality, too.

mag

@Colonel Green Emma did have a great skate for her first JGP. I have seen her land the 3F but I think she was smart to go with what was really comfortable this time. As for the 2A, it is often < and even << (having seen it live many times.) I don’t understand why because she is an amazing jumper with great knees. I was hoping she would get a second opinion in the off season. A fresh set of eyes because she is more than capable.

alexikeguchi

Keeping track of how the junior ladies' tech development is going, Emma Bulawka got a ratified 3T-3T in the short at JGP Austria. Nice performance quality, too.

Several of her triples in the FS looked adequately rotated to me, and she has beautiful carriage. I enjoyed her performance very much even though it didn't have the content of the top junior ladies.

Colonel Green

Several of her triples in the FS looked adequately rotated to me, and she has beautiful carriage. I enjoyed her performance very much even though it didn't have the content of the top junior ladies.
Looking over the protocols she got full rotation on everything, including both her double Axels this time.

I really liked her step sequence (choreography was nice). She's a good performer. I could imagine her being a successful senior if she can get the rest of the triple content in the next few years (and she's already got a triple-triple combination, so you'd think she should be able to).

barbarafan

Looking over the protocols she got full rotation on everything, including both her double Axels this time.

I really liked her step sequence (choreography was nice). She's a good performer. I could imagine her being a successful senior if she can get the rest of the triple content in the next few years (and she's already got a triple-triple combination, so you'd think she should be able to).
ITA...she has great spring and lots of height.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Wow props to Sarah-Maude Blanchard who rotated 6 triples at the JGP Richmond and got +GOE on 4 of them. She unfortunately did a waxel and got no points, which probably cost her a placement.

She's registered to skate senior domestically and I would give her a senior international before nationals to give her a chance at the senior tech minimums. And I think she has a great shot to make the national team next year (and I hope I haven't jinxed her and that she will skate this well again :p)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0-jotgQpoo

screech

Gabby's FP dress at US Classic was an improvement (IMO) than her one from a couple of weeks ago. I like that the coral colour is unique, but I don't particularly love the colour on her. I think this might be her actual competition dress, compared to just promoting her line, since not only is this one not on the website for her line, but the illusion fabric also actually matches her skin tone.

Also, it was not a great skate (she only got 105.87), but it kind of looked like she didn't want to be there at all. Completely vacant look on her face throughout her program, and very little performing (even during the Olympics meltdown, there was seemingly at least some effort in the performance). I'm kind of thinking she won't stick around for the whole quadrennial.

She does look to be upping her technical content, though. Planned 3lz/3t to open (doubled the toe here), and a 2a/3t later in the program.

Michelle

I do feel for Gabby. She was horrible luck with injuries and that often messes with your momentum. Plus, she has to upgrade this season to remain in the conversation and she’s clearly struggling with that lutz toe combo. It is early on in the season and she’s known for peaking later on so hopefully she can pull herself together but she might want to start thinking about her options.

quartz

scratching at the light
On Gabby's IG account, someone asked about how her skates were tied - Gabby replied that she had 2 stress fractures which turned into arthritis in her right foot. Not sure if that has been mentioned here or during the course of her competition this past weekend.

puglover

Not easy to be a young adult, negotiating all the problems most young people go through, and still competing as a top athlete. I just have had a sense from her twitter account that she has had outside disappointments as well.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Larkyn Austman is no longer on the Autumn Classic entries. Does anyone know why? Now there's only one Canadian woman entered.
If Austman is not ready for Skate Canada they better put a substitute in.

barbarafan

Larkyn Austman is no longer on the Autumn Classic entries. Does anyone know why? Now there's only one Canadian woman entered.
If Austman is not ready for Skate Canada they better put a substitute in.

why on earth is there only one cdn woman there? This makes no sense.

mag

why on earth is there only one cdn woman there? This makes no sense.

It looks like each country was limited to two entries. Why Canada didn’t add a sub, especially after Austman’s less than stellar start to the season, is beyond me. The 4CC and World spots for
Canadian Ladies other than Daleman are wide open. SC should be getting as many skaters out as possible.

barbarafan

It looks like each country was limited to two entries. Why Canada didn’t add a sub, especially after Austman’s less than stellar start to the season, is beyond me. The 4CC and World spots for
Canadian Ladies other than Daleman are wide open. SC should be getting as many skaters out as possible.

How far in the toilet is Skate Canada going to sink the entire national team?

danafan

Canadian ladies über
If the TES minimums remain the same, currently only Daleman, Chartrand, and Pineault are eligible for worlds. E Decelles, Austman, and Long would be eligible for 4CC. Could be world team by default if more don't get the score.

RoseRed

Larkyn will have a chance to earn the Worlds minimums at SC. Veronik Mallet will have a chance at Finlandia. And Aurora Cotop should be getting out for a senior assignment after her JGP, so she'll have a chance. Last year, Emy was sent out to a later CS event as well.

As for Autumn Classic, they certainly could have had a sub, but Larkyn is only just off the list now. The ladies SP is on Thursday. It's not as though it's very much warning.

Also, anyone who gets chosen for 4CC would have a chance to earn the minimums there. It's not a disaster.

barbarafan

Larkyn will have a chance to earn the Worlds minimums at SC. Veronik Mallet will have a chance at Finlandia. And Aurora Cotop should be getting out for a senior assignment after her JGP, so she'll have a chance. Last year, Emy was sent out to a later CS event as well.

As for Autumn Classic, they certainly could have had a sub, but Larkyn is only just off the list now. The ladies SP is on Thursday. It's not as though it's very much warning.

Also, anyone who gets chosen for 4CC would have a chance to earn the minimums there. It's not a disaster.

Don't you need mins for 4cc?

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Don't you need mins for 4cc?

Yes but Emy Decelles, Austman, and Long have the 4CC minimums, so theoretically they could be named to the world team pending getting the worlds TES minimums, which are higher. There is precedent for this with Paradis/Ouellette in 2016 in ice dance.

The Decelles are skating at Sub Sectionals this weekend (where Blanchard is skating senior). If they put up good scores I hope they will be considered for an international before nationals. Kim Decelles posted an instagram story of her doing a nice triple toe triple toe combo in practice so hopefully she has it in her!

mag

I would think SC would send someone out to monitor Austman before the end of the month to make sure she is ready for SCI. If there is any doubt they could at least give the alternate a heads up.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
I would think SC would send someone out to monitor Austman before the end of the month to make sure she is ready for SCI. If there is any doubt they could at least give the alternate a heads up.

I don't remember how last minute it was, but in 2016 Mallet withdrew from Skate Canada International. They did not replace her. And Michelle Long was at the event and even did a blog for the Skate Canada website. She was a national team member at the time and IMO it was a slap in the face not to let her compete in the event. :(

So I'm not that hopeful they would replace Austman if she withdrew close to the event. Hopefully Pineault skates really well this week-end and they'd give her the nod should the spot open up.

Reactions: mag

Judy

I met her grandmother at last year's Skate Canada in Regina. She was not a happy camper after the short program. She was telling me how they all had their air and hotel as well as event tickets already for Korea...... and that "Alaine knows what she has to do" Ouch!!
The conversation left me kind of cold and feeling sad for Alaine :(

Oh that is awful.

mag

I think the ISU needs to take a serious look at the way the limited number of international spots are handled. For GP events there should be a numbered alternate list done in advance. Using this SC as an example, there should be a list of a first and second Canadian Skaters who automatically get the spot if a host pick pulls. Those skaters should be given the choice to actually be at the event if they think a pull is likely. For non host picks, there should be three to five alternates designated in order. If someone pulls, the host goes down the list. Again, Skaters on the list should be given the option to obtain visas in advance if they choose.

For Challenger events, subs could be done on a country to country basis, or if a country has not listed a sub, there should be a numbered list of subs from other countries.

Skaters and parents pay out hundreds of thousands of dollars in training costs. I find it hard to believe there is not a skater on the ACI sub list who would not jump on the next plane to be in Oakville ready to compete.

Finally, “not being ready” is not a good reason not to compete when you are taking a spot at a full event where others were turned away. A traumatic, recent injury, yes. Just skating or practicing badly, no. (I am not saying this is what has happened with Austman, I don’t believe a reason has been given.) I am just saying that when registering for an event that in turn turns away other skaters should include a 7 day check in date where attendance, barring traumatic injury, is confirmed.

mag

So I'm not that hopeful they would replace Austman if she withdrew close to the event. Hopefully Pineault skates really well this week-end and they'd give her the nod should the spot open up.

Sorry for the double post, but IMO if Pineault skates really well this weekend SC should definitely monitor Austman and make the call about who gets the spot. GP spots are too valuable to leave it up to an athlete as to whether or not they will compete and the timing of a withdrawal.

barbarafan

Yes but Emy Decelles, Austman, and Long have the 4CC minimums, so theoretically they could be named to the world team pending getting the worlds TES minimums, which are higher. There is precedent for this with Paradis/Ouellette in 2016 in ice dance.

The Decelles are skating at Sub Sectionals this weekend (where Blanchard is skating senior). If they put up good scores I hope they will be considered for an international before nationals. Kim Decelles posted an instagram story of her doing a nice triple toe triple toe combo in practice so hopefully she has it in her!
Emy did a triple triple in her last competition...I imagine it was summer skate in Pierrefonds.The girls need to be sent to more competitions so that they get comfortable competing.

Reactions: mag

screech

SC doesn't care.
Skaters in Northern Ontario struggle with competing at all, now that all Ontario sections have been merged. There used to be multiple competitions in Northern Ontario, but Skate Canada has now abolished almost all of them (and the last one is hanging on by half a thread), and for some skaters, it's extremely hard to get to competitions in Central Ontario, or to even be permitted to skate there.

So I doubt SC is going to start sending more skaters out to international events, since they barely even provide upcoming skaters with provincial or national events.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information