2018-2019 Canadian Ladies News and Updates!

danafan

Canadian ladies über
I have no problem giving Austman another assignment, considering she missed the fall season due to injury. They did the same with Kevin Reynolds back in 2016. He only had the 4CC minimums at the time, and he was also coming off an injury. Frankly I wish Skate Canada would send more skaters to spring internationals.

Japanfan

Just two seasons ago there were 2 Canadian ladies on the world podium, and now they are back to sending ladies with no 3lutzes. (just pointing it out - but I love Aurora Cotop!)

Lack of depth is status quo for the Canadian ladies.

Rock2

Well Austman won't be added to the worlds sub list (if that were even allowed) - she popped her axel in the SP today in Austria and got 27 something TES.

Puts more pressure on her next year, but I'm OK with the subs we have.

Colonel Green

...but she doesn't deserve to go. I mean, I feel bad for her, but she can't compete at that level, so why should she go?
What exactly is this in response to? Nobody was suggesting she should go, and that’s not even possible at this point.

fsfann

What exactly is this in response to? Nobody was suggesting she should go, and that’s not even possible at this point.
It's in response to people being disappointed she won't be an alternate, or that she still doesn't have the minimums for Worlds (for next year).

Until she can get a lutz into her programs, I don't think they should send her to any internationals. One flip in a LP isn't going to cut it internationally. I know it's harsh, but it's reality. It reminds me of 1995 when Netty Kim won the Nationals with 2 or 3 triples... and the rest were clean doubles.

Colonel Green

It's in response to people being disappointed she won't be an alternate, or that she still doesn't have the minimums for Worlds (for next year).

Until she can get a lutz into her programs, I don't think they should send her to any internationals. One flip in a LP isn't going to cut it internationally. I know it's harsh, but it's reality. It reminds me of 1995 when Netty Kim won the Nationals with 2 or 3 triples... and the rest were clean doubles.
Larkyn isn’t the only Canadian lady in the top five currently without a Lutz, though (though in the other cases it’s injury-related).

Skate Canada has to work with what it has, and as long as she’s one of the better ladies at the senior level it’s preferable that she have the minimums. You never want to have no options.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City

What is the problem with being disappointed for her? It would have been nice for her to get that minimum even if it didn't result in her going to Worlds.

And "she can't compete at that level" is a pretty Judgy McJudgemental comment. She placed in the top ten at 4Cs, which was a much stronger field.

Dobre

Until she can get a lutz into her programs, I don't think they should send her to any internationals. One flip in a LP isn't going to cut it internationally.

Well, she defeated 11 ladies at 4CCs, including multiple athletes with 3Lz3T, 3L3L, and 3T3T combinations so while I do think upgrading her content could really help in this goal of striving for a technical minimum score, clearly she can compete with quite a number of ladies who attend international events.

fsfann

I have no issue with Skate Canada pushing Aurora Cotop and giving her opportunities. She is young and proving herself, and - imo - represents the (a bit) of a future for us. Larkyn had an amazing opportunity last year - and I was one who supported sending her to the Olympics because Alaine just hadn't proven herself to be deserving all year long. Larkyn deserved to go.. but then when she got there, she didn't qualify for the LP, which repeated itself at the Worlds. 0/2 ain't a great record.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Are we going to write off every skater who doesn't perform outstandingly at every single event? It's a tough sport with a steep learning curve and a lot of pressure. I don't know anyone who goes to their job and has a fantastic productive day every single day. Sports are no different. Get real.

mag

Are we going to write off every skater who doesn't perform outstandingly at every single event? It's a tough sport with a steep learning curve and a lot of pressure. I don't know anyone who goes to their job and has a fantastic productive day every single day. Sports are no different. Get real.

If you are referring to Austman, she has been competing at the international level for many years and has been given a ton of opportunities. Winning or even being on the podium was well within her reach even with her scaled back content. Yes, people are absolutely allowed to bad days, but Austman has never really skated well internationally.

I have got the impression this season that her heart is not in it. I can completely understand why. She made it to the Olympics and I highly doubt she is going to top that. I would not be the least bit surprised if she retires and head for the cruise ships or coaching.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
If you are referring to Austman, she has been competing at the international level for many years and has been given a ton of opportunities. Winning or even being on the podium was well within her reach even with her scaled back content. Yes, people are absolutely allowed to bad days, but Austman has never really skated well internationally.

No, I'm not referring to her specifically. If I'm talking about anything specifically, it's this "OMG Canadian ladies all suck and Canadian skating is doomed forever" mentality. Very few skaters burst onto the scene and rise straight to the top without any bumps or detours, and very few countries win medals every single year. Canada had two world/Olympic medalists in recent years, and now we don't. It happens. And this pile-on nitpicking on the ladies who *are* competing internationally is ridiculous.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

This season alone, the technical standard has significantly jumped (pun intended) in ladies' singles at the elite international level.

Skaters who are realistic about their own ability, short and long-term potential, is all part of the journey.

As fans, we need to understand that every athlete has their own goals and expectations. Whether ours match theirs is another story altogether.

Last edited:

mag

No, I'm not referring to her specifically. If I'm talking about anything specifically, it's this "OMG Canadian ladies all suck and Canadian skating is doomed forever" mentality. Very few skaters burst onto the scene and rise straight to the top without any bumps or detours, and very few countries win medals every single year. Canada had two world/Olympic medalists in recent years, and now we don't. It happens. And this pile-on nitpicking on the ladies who *are* competing internationally is ridiculous.

I understand bumps and detours. I have also paid for many ;) so I really do understand it is about the journey not the destination for most skaters. I don’t see that here unreasonable criticism here. What I do see is SC doing things the same way over and over and expecting a different result. Gabby and Kaetlyn did what they did based on their own hard work, perseverance, and a bit of luck.

SC really does not do a good job of promoting the skaters who have the skills that give them the best chance of success. IMHO they need to stop trying to identify “talent” and work with their local judges to reward exactly what is put on the ice. Then they need to reward work ethic. Reward those who strive to improve each season no matter where they are on the development curve. Reward those who fight back from injury and come back stronger and better. Reward those who push forward preferring to be in the middle of a hard group rather than the top of an easy group. In other words, reward the fighters and the scrapers. Give them the “way to goes.” Make them feel special and encourage them to keep at it.

I know from what I have seen that figure skating loses way too many stellar athletes early on because the parents and skaters simply cannot deal with the sandbagging and the political bull$hit that goes on especially in the women’s event. Unfortunately SC and the Sections encourage this and that trickles down to judges and coaches. Our great athletes and out winning medals in skiing, boarding, cycling, etc. Canada has lots of great female athletes. We just loose them from figure skating (or they never try it) because the sport is seen as rigged from the beginning.

Rock2

No, I'm not referring to her specifically. If I'm talking about anything specifically, it's this "OMG Canadian ladies all suck and Canadian skating is doomed forever" mentality.

I think it might be you who is a bit over the top (or edge, as it were) here.

No one is saying that. Canadian ladies are going through a bit of a lull right now so there will be some criticism.

Where it might appear more harsh is not for athletes who have the occasional bad day in competition but instead routinely underperform, and not versus our expectations but versus their own current abilities. Alaine and Larkyn fall into that category such that 'good' skates for them do happen but are rare.

Cotop is an example on the other side, where she went to nationals and did almost everything, including a flip and loop that she was just re-acquiring after her pelvis injury. Outperformed expectations.

Skate Canada seems to understand there is a problem, as within their high performance division is an initiative to help top athletes learn to compete better. This is a current weakness with us across a number of disciplines.

Rock2

I have no issue with Skate Canada pushing Aurora Cotop and giving her opportunities.

I take slight exception to the word 'pushing' and would instead re-word to suggest that SC is allowing her to fulfill the opportunities she has earned.

She finished 2nd at nationals and earned a shot at the world team. I don't see any SC 'pushing' agenda here. Just giving her the chance she deserves based on her own performance.

I'll assume this is what you meant but thought I would point out the nuance.

fsfann

I take slight exception to the word 'pushing' and would instead re-word to suggest that SC is allowing her to fulfill the opportunities she has earned.

She finished 2nd at nationals and earned a shot at the world team. I don't see any SC 'pushing' agenda here. Just giving her the chance she deserves based on her own performance.

I'll assume this is what you meant but thought I would point out the nuance.

Absolutely.. poor word choice. I was talking more "in the future". *if* Skate Canada were to start attaching their hopes with Cotop, I think it's well deserved.

Cotop has impressed me since I saw her in Ottawa a couple of years ago when she won the Jr. Title. She has potential and has improved in the past couple of years..

barbarafan

Low Goe's for junior worlds continues for Cdn's (excepting L/L who had high- but s/b higher). Alison Schumacher just skated a beautiful clean short with great jumps and just rec'd token GOE's. Well at least we know how +/- 5 Goes are turning out. Another weapon in bad judges hands. A 3rd panel for GOE's is necessary.

oleada

Low Goe's for junior worlds continues for Cdn's (excepting L/L who had high- but s/b higher). Alison Schumacher just skated a beautiful clean short with great jumps and just rec'd token GOE's. Well at least we know how +/- 5 Goes are turning out. Another weapon in bad judges hands. A 3rd panel for GOE's is necessary.

Or you’re delusional and Schumacher needs to rotate her jumps and there’s nothing wrong with the judging.

Colonel Green

We’ll have to see the protocols, but I’m pretty sure she had URs called, hence the score.

honey

I haven’t seen it, but pretty much everyone who was watching is saying she had two unders. That’s why the score is low, and also why the GOE is where it is. Not everything is a giant conspiracy.

Rafter

Schumacher also needs a ton of work on the second mark. She does not skate with enough attack or conviction in her movement, everything is very lacklustre.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
I wasn't able to watch Schumacher but the protocol says two UR, which is what people on the play by play seemed to notice. And not far off her season best score.
A decent ranking for her and I think she was the right choice for this event. And I absolutely love her short program music and chroreography, though seemingly not a popular opinion. Good luck in the free. Scores are close and anything can happen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information