2018-19 Programs and Choreographers

Bigbird

Denis was the one who suggested them to use this piece. It’s also the music Denis himself used as his last FP. I think it’s very appropriate for them to use this as a tribute to him.
Does the music have any real merit of itself? To me, it sounds like a reductive version of Je Suis Malade? I don't know what to think, but I am not impressed. Oh well..

MarieM

Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover

peibeck

Simply looking
@MarieM , do you really think Morosov will go out looking for a new or different version of the music. Color me skeptical. ;)

Bigbird

Morozov has nothing to do with it. Pasquale Camerlengo choreographed their FD

Before all us mortals and the entire figure skating community they're skating to this wishy-washy tired piece of music? They must be smoking some premium pot. Just sayin...

aftershocks

Banned Member
Denis was the one who suggested them to use this piece. It’s also the music Denis himself used as his last FP. I think it’s very appropriate for them to use this as a tribute to him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzEX4CL6X40 Denis' fp

Denis' artistry still lives and breathes

Best wishes to Weav/Poje, and indeed to all the skaters who are Denis' friends, still grieving his loss as they move forward putting their hearts and souls into everything they do, as Denis did. Brief as it was, his life mattered so much.

lauravvv

@MarieM , do you really think Morosov will go out looking for a new or different version of the music. Color me skeptical. ;)
See Emilia12's response to you. Also, as it has already been mentioned here, the music was suggested to W/P by Denis Ten + from what I understood, they said in the interview that they had looked for their own/different version (from the one Ten used for his FS).

Before all us mortals and the entire figure skating community they're skating to this wishy-washy tired piece of music? They must be smoking some premium pot. Just sayin...
Why do am I still surprised by people who seem to think that their own personal opinion and taste is an indisputable fact :rolleyes:?

Bigbird

:duh:

I gave them a heart for their FD.

Libertango is so them. That so works for their RD. The FD music is not necessarily awful, it's just not particularly interesting, IMHO, of course. It just isn't as dynamic a piece of music for the calibre of team they've grown into. I was expecting something a bit more complex.

levineismine

I believed in Hubbell&Donohue before it was cool

sleepingsleeping

Last edited:

Dobre

Libertango is so them.

And Hurtado & Khaliavin and Markova & Daze.

IMO, actually it's Grishuk & Platov, but fortunately for all three of these teams, G&P will not be in the Worlds Rhythm Dance. While the other three very well might be. M&D may have a challenge when the new World minimum scores are determined. And Hurtado & Khaliavin would have to win the head to head with Smart & Diaz. Plus, of course, everyone needs to stay healthy.

But still, let's dig past the tango at the very top of the "who can name a winning tango" box and at least delve down for choice #9 or 10, shall we?

Spun Silver

cholla

Grand Duchess of Savoie - Marquessa of Chartreuse
That angers me. SOS d'un terrien en détresse is basically FROM Starmania, an opera rock, who would make you think the authors knew Trump would win an election.
How could it be a tribute to another skater when it's basically a song from Starmania, who happens to be a french / canadian collaboration?
Why the "anger" ? :lol: If I remember well, the version Denis Ten skated to is by a singer of a TV show in Khazakstan who was inspired by Gregory Lemarchal's interpretation of the song. Plenty of artists (of various talent and success) have had their own interpretation of this song. They are not all bad...

starrynight

Denis Ten introduced the music to Weaver/Poje while he was still alive and an FD was planned. Kaitlyn and Andrew have said that after he passed away, they decided the program would be a tribute to Denis' memory (which is fitting given his involvement in the selection of music).

The program was never originally intended to be a tribute. Just an FD where Denis had introduced the music choice. But tragically it has now become a memoriam program.

Last edited:

MarieM

Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzEX4CL6X40 Denis' fp
Denis' artistry still lives and breathes
See that's the problem. The version he used is an abomination. Both in the fact the singer doesn't really understand what he's singing about, and the orchestration.
There are too many french or canadian GOOD version of that song. Let me hope they use either the Norman Groulx version or the Bruno Pelletier one.

Meoima

Super ambitious, and I have the feeling that the second 3S will be a 3A if everything else in the program goes according to plan. Interesting that he’s not trying any flip or Lutz this year, though.
Yuzuru: "When I pick the ice by my right toe to attempt Lutz and flip, I feel discomfort occasionally but no more pain."
https://twitter.com/yuzueco/status/1035354989110079489

I think he will eventually jump Lutz and Flip again though, knowing him for years.

starrynight

I don't think it's particularly fair to use the word abomination to describe Denis using a version of a song sung by a Kazakhstani singer for a Kazakhstani show. Denis choosing that version was an act of patriotism. I understand the singer is quite popular in Kazakhstan and it's use was appreciated by the local audience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information