2023-24 Program Music and Choreographers

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
I don't like Kevin's version. It seems rather empty, especially in the second half where he's just stroking and pumping his arms while going from one jumping pass to the the next. Maybe it's a strategy to cut out some of the choreography in order to focus on landing clean jumps. Granted, it's early in the season, but I thought his LP last season at Worlds to Gladiator was quite empty too.
He said he’s only run through the program 4 times. The prep to the Lutz and flip were a bunch of pumping and arm waving, but I think it’s because he’s not in top condition yet. But I also think he has a whole lot more going on in his programs than almost every other competitor, and he’s trying some newer stuff in the LP as opposed to the SP, where I feel like it’s some recycled stuff that doesn’t quite fit.
Is knees slide-on-ice a thing this season like cartwheel-on-ice was last season ? The problem is that these skaters aren't holding the slide position once they're down to the ice. They go down and then quickly get back up, diminishing any dramatic impact of the slide. I didn't like it when Jason did it in his LP last year either. You have to execute the knees slide like Paul Wylie's.
It’s been a thing for a few seasons. Skaters don’t have time to do anything drawn out because they are typical in the midst of a nearly minute-long step sequence or trying to cram in stuff to a choreo sequence to get high GOE.

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
He said he’s only run through the program 4 times. The prep to the Lutz and flip were a bunch of pumping and arm waving, but I think it’s because he’s not in top condition yet. But I also think he has a whole lot more going on in his programs than almost every other competitor, and he’s trying some newer stuff in the LP as opposed to the SP, where I feel like it’s some recycled stuff that doesn’t quite fit.
Someone on tumblr who was there said in practice the choreography was much better, but he missed a lot of jumps. So I guess the trade-off in competition was to land the jumps instead which honestly makes sense at this point. I'm hoping as he gets more practice and stamina it'll get even better because I thought there was a lot of cool stuff there.

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
I have just read the music stuff of the Russian test skates.
Apart from Gumennik's "Rammstein"-scandal there has nothing been to write about.

Amy L

I have just read the music stuff of the Russian test skates.
Apart from Gumennik's "Rammstein"-scandal there has nothing been to write about.
I watched a few of the events. There were soooooo many terrible covers! House music version of La Boheme from B&K... Mishina&Galliamov, who I usually like, had a disaster movie Ode to Joy in the short and the most heinously awful vocal version of Leibestraum for the LP.

skipaway

I watched a few of the events. There were soooooo many terrible covers! House music version of La Boheme from B&K... Mishina&Galliamov, who I usually like, had a disaster movie Ode to Joy in the short and the most heinously awful vocal version of Leibestraum for the LP.
Did you see the disasterous cover of I Will Always Love You? Whitney’s rolling in her grave and Dolly should Sue!

Gris

不做奴才做公民
Shoma Uno

SP: I Love You Kung Fu by Son Lux, Ryan Lott, Ian Chang
Clair de Lune (Pied: au Piano) by Son Lux, Ryan Lott, Ian Chang
I Love You Kung Fu by Son Lux, Ryan Lott, Ian Chang

FS: Timelapse by Mari Samuelsen, Trondheim Soloists, Uno Helmersson
Spiegel im Spiegel (Version for Violin and Piano) by Vladimir Spivakov, Sergej Bezrodny, Arvo Pärt

Choreographers listed: Stéphane Lambiel, Kenji Miyamoto

Source: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00012455.htm

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
ohhhhh With or Without You is a great choice
I dunno... It's a pretty monotonous song, to be honest. Yes, it's a good song to listen to, but I'm not sure it works for a RD, at least not as the only piece of music.

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
Just add a samba beat. Think C/B Bowie Latin program last season. :rofl:
Let’s Dance has a good base as a “dancey” song, though. A remix made sense for it. With or Without You is a slow, moody song that doesn’t seem like a good fit for an uptempo beat. I’ve wanted someone to skate to it forever but not if they’re going to make it unrecognizable.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Let’s Dance has a good base as a “dancey” song, though. A remix made sense for it. With or Without You is a slow, moody song that doesn’t seem like a good fit for an uptempo beat. I’ve wanted someone to skate to it forever but not if they’re going to make it unrecognizable.
My hope is that their ISU bio is missing a 2nd song for the RD.

Gris

不做奴才做公民
Hawayek/Baker's ISU bio has been updated!

Free Dance:
Kyle (Northern Line) by Fred Again
AUS23 (1:1) by Charles Leclerc
Kyle (Northern Line) by Fred Again

Haha I didn't know Charles Leclerc makes music until I saw this.

ETA: From Leclerc's Wikipedia page

In April 2023, Leclerc released his debut piano-composed single "AUS23 (1:1)", whose title is a reference to Ferrari's internal name for the 2023 Australian Grand Prix.

jenny12

Shoma Uno

SP: I Love You Kung Fu by Son Lux, Ryan Lott, Ian Chang
Clair de Lune (Pied: au Piano) by Son Lux, Ryan Lott, Ian Chang
I Love You Kung Fu by Son Lux, Ryan Lott, Ian Chang

FS: Timelapse by Mari Samuelsen, Trondheim Soloists, Uno Helmersson
Spiegel im Spiegel (Version for Violin and Piano) by Vladimir Spivakov, Sergej Bezrodny, Arvo Pärt

Choreographers listed: Stéphane Lambiel, Kenji Miyamoto

Source: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00012455.htm

Ooh, I'm liking these music choices. I wish Shoma was doing the "In Another Life" part of the EEAAO soundtrack instead of the Clair de Lune but I'm looking forward to his programs.

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
Ooh, I'm liking these music choices. I wish Shoma was doing the "In Another Life" part of the EEAAO soundtrack instead of the Clair de Lune but I'm looking forward to his programs.
hard agree that in another life would be better but also I'm hoping if Shoma does an eeaao program it will trickle down to the rest of the skaters and we'll get some better music choices hahaha

dramagrrl

And IIRC Shae Lynn Bourne and Victor Kraatz used Tom Waits' "Little Drop of Poison" which was also on that soundtrack.
I do not remember this at all, and I was admittedly obsessed with B&K back in the day and can still probably recite all their music (including the majority of their exhibition programs) from memory. Can anyone verify?

sk9tingfan

Finally some Chock/Bates music news!

RD: Another One Bites the Dust, Who Wants to Live Forever, and I Want it All by Queen
FD: Pink Floyd (theme is time so perhaps they're using the song Time)

For those of us (me specifically) who were unfamiliar with the FD music, here it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information