2017-2018 Program Music and Choreographers

aftershocks

Banned Member
Actually, in the article in which the change was announced, they say that they considered keeping Piaf at the beginning, but at the time she felt she wanted to try something new, so they picked a new program and decided to work on it for the summer and then decide which they preferred at the end of the summer. She said they got good reviews for Summertime at High Performance Camp, but when she tried working with Piaf again afterwards she remembered how much she loved it (or something like that) and she knew it was the right choice. They said she needed the summer of working on something else to keep it from feeling stale.

^^ Really? Okay, thanks for pointing that out. I suppose it makes sense (but there's no need for them to give such an elaborate explanation). But sure, it does stand to reason if that was their strategy going into the off-season, they didn't want to necessarily reveal it publicly at that time. Still, many fans after seeing the Summertime debut (and hating the music), wished Kaetlyn would go back to a previous program that worked better. I'm sure she could have pulled off Summertime in terms of performing it well. It's just there was a problem with the screeching sound of the singer's voice and the choreo not matching the song's theme, and Winter not matching Summer, which would have been even more incongruous at a Winter Olympics. I was turned off by the music and the incongruities. So, I'm glad to hear that Kaetlyn is going back to a more magical sp for her.

I can see her wishing to explore something else, but sometimes trying to select something special for an Olympic season doesn't work out the way you'd like. Anyway, if a program really works, it shouldn't really get stale. It should always be inspiring. I imagine she's no worse though for having tried something different over the summer. :) And that may be the only sense in which Summertime worked for her. ;)

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
:rofl: Pot. kettle. black.

Oh please! Is that now the go-to put-down phrase? :duh: :COP: :lol:

Having a lot to say and creating lengthy posts and engaging in passionate rants about fs has nothing to do with a top skater & coaching team stating an elaborate reason for simply deciding to go back to a proven and popular skating program. Which does not mean that's what they purposely did in any case. :rolleyes: It's only what it seems like and sounds like.

Anyway Geesh! Why are you in particular so sensitive about this in the first place? :drama:

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
I think it's funny, hence the laughing emoji. Why are YOU so sensitive?

^^ Eh, answering a question with a question is a good deflection tactic on your part. :COP:

I'm sensitive to picayune overly sensitive and random or intentional negative reactions to innocuous posts of mine. And yes, yadda yadda, mistaken tone and miscommunication happens all the time on Internet forums. But there's also mistaken over-reactions, which I can be guilty of as well. I have no problem admitting my faults.

And now for your off-base sensitivity reaction explanation, elaborate or otherwise? :p ;)

VGThuy

Ashley Wagner details dropping La La Land

This quote:

“I was very passionate about what I was doing,” she continued. “I started training it day to day, and the music is beautiful. But just something wasn’t quite clicking, and the character didn’t really feel as complicated as I wanted her to be. There really didn’t feel like there was much of an emotional range. And I love drama. I love having those moments.”

is pretty funny. I know she doesn't mean to, but she's sort of critiquing the writing of Emma Stone's character. I actually agree with her on the character and Stone's performance. I think a really great actress/performer could fine hidden depths and nuance and really elevate the character, but for Ashley, why work so hard when there's an Olympics and TES and > to worry about. I think Satine is easier because MR is much more OTT, and one doesn't need to reach into the soul but rather give face and the job is done.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
I'd think Mia would have more emotional range than Satine, but that's just me. I admit it's been many years since I watched Moulin Rouge and I may have forgotten a lot. Anyway, how it feels to her is what matters. She's the one who has to skate it and put the emotion into it.

Tinami Amori

“I was very passionate about what I was doing,” she continued. “I started training it day to day, and the music is beautiful. But just something wasn’t quite clicking, and the character didn’t really feel as complicated as I wanted her to be. There really didn’t feel like there was much of an emotional range. And I love drama. I love having those moments.”

If Wagner, given her life, experience, looks and personality, thinks that she better represents and understands the life, the choices and the challenges of the Parisian Belle Epoque courtesans, whose stage life and popularity usually ended as they reached 30, and whose only means of support in old age came from wealthy patrons/lovers in forms of houses, jewelry and occasionally but rarely money on account; who had to choose wisely and pragmatically which patrons to accept and how many to keep without social conflicts, and juggle it with few bohemian lovers on the side, who often were younger and artists themselves in need of money, while fending off the next bunch of younger fresher courtesans stepping on their toes.…… than a life of a California girl seeking a straight forward career in entertainment and chooses work over relationship….. well, then Wagner is either crazy or overestimating herself… I suspect it is the later.

I hope she at least reads “The Splendor and Misery of the Courtesians” by Balzac…. because her last two “Satines” look like a suburbian girl going to a Halloween party.

Last edited:

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
I sincerely doubt she's thinking of it in those terms. :) Her Satine is fierce and wistful and . . . fierce. That's about it. I'm not knocking it -- if she feels that's what works for her, she might as well go with it.

At least she does know what it's like to fend off a bunch of young'uns. :)

meggonzo

Banned Member
Ashley Wagner details dropping La La Land

This quote:

is pretty funny. I know she doesn't mean to, but she's sort of critiquing the writing of Emma Stone's character. I actually agree with her on the character and Stone's performance. I think a really great actress/performer could fine hidden depths and nuance and really elevate the character, but for Ashley, why work so hard when there's an Olympics and TES and > to worry about. I think Satine is easier because MR is much more OTT, and one doesn't need to reach into the soul but rather give face and the job is done.

I'm guessing she didn't want another situation where her program wasn't working mid- Olympic season and having to do a Franken-program. And I agree as well on the critique of Emma's character.

chapis

She simply can not do it. She is not enough versatile, MR and La la land are only entertainment, none is too deep.

arakwafan2006

I am glad that the skaters are doing the programs that suit them best and not worrying about what others think about playing it again. These are their careers and they have worked so tremendously hard and will have to live with their decisions. The fans will groan but ultimately we will support them.

suki

I hope she at least reads “The Splendor and Misery of the Courtesians” by Balzac…. because her last two “Satines” look like a suburbian girl going to a Halloween party.

Balzac should be mandatory reading for all human beings who inhabit this earth. His novels are timeless.

Ka3sha

Ksenia Stolbova on their Carmen FP:
Preparing for the season, you had to change the music for the free program and took famous “Carmen”, many figure skaters skated to it, including Navka-Kostomarov, and Virtue-Moir …

Ksenia: By all accounts, Carmen is the best choice for the Olympic season for our pair. It seems that we have finally grown to this level. Secondly, the classical version of Bizet-Shchedrin will be understood at all continents. And I’m very flattered that you set the level of choosing this music by such great dancers as Tessa Virtue – Scott Moir and Tatiana Navka – Roman Kostomarov. I have reviewed almost all ice and ballet versions of Carmen, Fedor and I hope that we will be able to contribute to the ice story of this truly immortal masterpiece. By the way, if I remember correctly, in pair skating, no one has taken it yet.
http://fs-gossips.com/ksenia-stolbova-carmen-is-the-best-choice-for-our-pair/
https://www.sports.ru/tribuna/blogs/redscarf/1410818.html

aftershocks

Banned Member
And Piper & Paul are using part of the Perry Mason tv show theme for their FD

Cross-posting from dance thread in Trash Can:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVpDY4u2b8Q&feature=youtu.be&t=222
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HT4wkkkaFTc

In general, G/P's FD music has a film noir feel. Maybe they were looking for something that would be as effective as their Hitchcock program, but that was a different genre. I really like this choice for them. :D

I see the film noir evidence was already pointed out re the rest of their FD music selections. :) Well, I could tell even before I read that about the other selections. A unique choice for a figure skating program. That's why I previously suggested that a mature ladies skater or even a pairs team would do well skating to the Laura 1940s movie soundtrack (umpteenth time I've mentioned it btw).

Lots of good music choices in the noir genre:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-a_uCspSYI Double Indemnity
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIWTqMoTUM8 Laura
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j84ZpU5GgkY Rebecca
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsQC4HPruDQ Chinatown
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2qZzRuIQuk North by Northwest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Spx0NthRoVc Vertigo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WQMZFFkx6Y Bullitt
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fda0ziav7E The Untouchables (already used by some skaters)

nimi

Only G&G that I can think of but that was 30 years ago, lol. I have no doubt that this will be an awesome program and that they will do it justice.
La Stolbova as Carmen :respec:

There was the Dube/Davison Carmen FP almost a decade ago but yeah, at least there has never been any Carmen vs Carmen situations in pairs like in singles and in dance, right?

clairecloutier

Marchei/Hotarek also did a Carmen SP at 2016 Worlds, but to be honest, it was not a program worth remembering. It was something they threw together quickly just for that Worlds. So, not surprised it didn't make it onto Ksenia's radar. ;)

nimi

Marchei/Hotarek also did a Carmen SP at 2016 Worlds, but to be honest, it was not a program worth remembering.
Oh yeah, I had already forgotten about it!

So I guess the general consensus here is that in pairs, there has been only one memorable Carmen (G/G)?

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
James/Cipres - FS to "Say Something"

The more I think about this the more I can see the crowd going crazy for this program. It has a lot of emotional highs and lows and has good vocals. Don't get me wrong the song aint my taste... but I think this could be the standout of pairs frees skates once again this season.

Zimmerman using innovation. No Carmen for this team!!!!!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information