140th Westminister Kennel Club Dog Show - Feb. 15-16

Japanfan

My mom turned up her nose at the borzoi. She knew a pair of borzois in Ukraine that were used in the Russian War & Peace movie. She says those were better.

Teaching a dog to heel for the ring is difficult, for sure - my trainer told me that handlers put in several hours a day just on that.

But training a dog to work in movies is harder than showing a dog, as far more commands are involved.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
If the Standard couldn't win, my house was cheering for Annabelle the Bulldog so we figure we win anyway. :cheer2:

rfisher

Let the skating begin
This junior handler is in trouble. Good experience for her, but she's having trouble with her dog. The GSD was gorgeous.

Lacey

I am Grammyed out, gotta catch this on tape, does that make a four hour event tomorrow night?

Lacey

rfisher, how do your keep the poodles' ears poufy and clean. My Cavalier constantly looks like she needs a bath and grooming.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
rfisher, how do your keep the poodles' ears poufy and clean. My Cavalier constantly looks like she needs a bath and grooming.
They wrap these dog's ears along with the top knot to keep them out of their food and to keep them from chewing each other's ears. I keep my dog's ear hair cut fairly short. My avatar is Bella and there was a cookie incident which resulted in hair about to the length of the ear leather. :lol: Draco isn't too bad with his. As soon as a show dog is not showing, they clip most of that hair.

Susan1

What a great face on the German Shephard.
Might as well ask here - I have never in all my life noticed how low their "back ends" slope down compared to other dogs? That's not a question, is it? Just a "huh". Is that the standard? Guess so, since he won the Herding Group (my second favorite group). I was rooting for him.

Susan1

Yes, it is a breed standard. That being said, the dog is put into a stance that really exaggerates the look. The legs are the same length, but the long slender body gives the appearance of a sloping line. http://www.akc.org/dog-breeds/german-shepherd-dog/

Even when he was walking though, his back end sloped so much, it made me nervous or something. Do they make him stay in that stance so much that he can't stand up straight? Just me, I guess.

I also hate the way they have the collars up so high under their chins (to make them hold their heads up professionally, I guess). But then the leash part is in front of one long ear when they are running and they have to keep shaking their heads. I just feel sorry for dog show dogs that can't just be dogs.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
It's just the way they move. The dog is fine. And the show leashes are just to guide. They don't hurt the dogs. Most dogs at this caliber love the excitement of the ring. They know what they're doing.

rjblue

Having a great day!
:rofl: Poodles are not impressed by the little fluff dogs. My Poodles are big. They snack on fluff dogs.
My sister has Standard Poodles. They are so elegant and intelligent that they can relax and be friendly and kind to lesser beings.

danceronice

Corgi Wrangler
Might as well ask here - I have never in all my life noticed how low their "back ends" slope down compared to other dogs? That's not a question, is it? Just a "huh". Is that the standard? Guess so, since he won the Herding Group (my second favorite group). I was rooting for him.

My mother used to own GSDs. They did NOT used to look like that, and the working/guard/military lines don't now. She hates the extreme slope (and it's more than just how they stand.) She used to have nothing but (I remember growing up with the last one) and now says she'd never have a dog with a back and hind legs like that. Not my breed anyway; I have Pems.

Pulling for Good Time Charlie today, though! Go Skyes! Still wish it had worked out that I could have taken the second pick boy from my friend Alan's litter when he came available again, but my elderly Aussie mix was still alive and I was not getting a puppy while he was around and needing quiet senior time.

I say I hate the toy and mini poodles, but....my friend just got a mini poodle. It was not quite nine weeks old and she brought her to work to meet us. We got nothing done. It was like having a living black cotton ball. Now she got a puppy clip and we all died from the cute. We were all useless (as bad as the day my parents brought my Corgis in. Though a picture of my Corgi Tucker doing her begging situp for our native interpreter convinced our Director that we should totally have a Dog Day at the park.)

Reactions: DCA

KHenry14

I loved the beautiful Shih Tzu Panda. Just gorgeous. But a new dog to this, I doubt that they can carry the day.

But Rumor the German Shepherd is excellent. They will be the favorite tonight in Best in Show, and I bet she takes it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information