The 2019 Westminster Dog Show Thread

BaileyCatts

I was a toss up with the Havernese and the Dachshund. Me thinks the Dachshund stole the show tonight though.

Kruss

Not Auto-Tuned
I'm completely disappointed. That felt very much out of left field. The entire show was rushed, too many interruptions during the judging for silly comments. What a letdown.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
Boxer was gorgeous...we were rooting for him.

We did like the wire fox terrier, also a beautiful dog. I was surprised he won his group let alone best in show.

Scrufflet

Sussex spaniel won my heart! I was captivated by the big guys who didn't make it: Newf, Berner, Great Pyr., Leonberger, Tibetan Mastiff and the St. Bernard who kept having snoozes! And always have a soft spot for English Springers.
An odd show. The Lefevbre guy who has been announcing for years was really off his game this year, tripping over words and missing transitions. The one guy in the trio who had judged before brought some interesting comments about each breed and what judges were looking for. At least no Tara and Johnny! Although the other guy in the trio sounded like Rod Black! Scary!

Lacey

It should have been a choice between the Sussex and the Dachshund. And the crowd loved both.

The Sussex was Mr. Personality, just strutted around looking like he was trying not to get over excited and run. He is the grandson of a former Best in Show, and that's a shame if that's why he wasn't chosen. I also think this was his last show, so this was his last chance.

The Dachshund walked very nicely also, and you could see his legs better because of his hairstyle being shorter to the ground than Sussex. And the Dockie had the most interesting ears, they had a two color form and I've never seen that before, there was some long black hair in there, stunningly interesting.

If I am not mistaken, the head judge asked each how old they were, I think both were 7, and then seemed to dismiss them as old bags.

If the head judge knew the Schipperke and that's why it was disqualified, why wasn't judge also disqualified. I question if same judge also knew the Wire Fox Terrier, he hadn't even been glancing at it during the walks and didn't seem interested in it during inspection and touch and feel. Perhaps something was fishy...

What happened to the old network commentators, the ones I watched (on FS1HD here) were horrid, kept making mistakes.

Susan1

Dachshund wuzrobbed!
That seems to be the consensus around the internet.

Sussex spaniel won my heart!
Beautiful color and coat, but he seemed like his head was too small for his body and didn't have a neck. I'm not being mean. I can't explain it. When he was walking he was flat from his nose to his tail. They shouldn't have put him next to the dachshund. Their color and hair length was similar and Burns was just perfect.

If I am not mistaken, the head judge asked each how old they were,
And did they bark for each year? Sorry. I know you meant they asked their handlers. ha ha. Just when I first read it :) .

Are the women who show the dogs not allowed to wear pants?
I've been saying that for years. Hip tight above the knee skirts and dresses are not attractive on anyone who is trotting. It's very distracting.

Scrufflet

That seems to be the consensus around the internet.

Beautiful color and coat, but he seemed like his head was too small for his body and didn't have a neck. I'm not being mean. I can't explain it. When he was walking he was flat from his nose to his tail. They shouldn't have put him next to the dachshund. Their color and hair length was similar and Burns was just perfect.

And did they bark for each year? Sorry. I know you meant they asked their handlers. ha ha. Just when I first read it :) .

I've been saying that for years. Hip tight above the knee skirts and dresses are not attractive on anyone who is trotting. It's very distracting.
I did not know the finer points re spaniel but his charm is off the charts. I'd take him!
Hubby and I were giggling over so many ill-fitting suits and horrible shoes on the handlers.

Lacey

Hubby and I were giggling over so many ill-fitting suits and horrible shoes on the handlers.

Men or women? I thought the men were fine except for one rather heavy guy whose suit wore him.

One of the new commentators this year kept referencing how this woman and that woman had on St. John suits, which are quite pricey in real life but also elegant--some had sparkles which were a way of wearing knee length skirts that can make handling the dogs easier than in formal full length skirts, and then the other commentator said, "And you (commentator) have one on too!" and she was so proud of herself that then the bragging became ridiculous--ah I said, can't we talk about the DOGS here?

There were a few women in pants, but to me, the length of pants distracts from the outline of the dogs, most of whom are not much higher than women's knees.

I Luv Bulldogs

I love all the hounds (see profile pic ha ha). Sadie was a hound mix. Dachshunds (short and long coat more than wire coat), Beagles, Bassets, Salukis, Afghans, Bloodhounds..............

I'm taping Jeopardy, because hounds are usually the first group and I always seem to miss them by forgetting to turn on a dog show.

Remember the German Shepherd discussion? I'm NOT going to watch that group. Their hips still make me sad.

I can't despise ANY dog groups. I've been bitten by a Schnauzer and a Chow in my life, so I don't root for them. I am not fond of bulldog type dogs (with the pushed in faces and slobber).

I watched parts of an agility competition yesterday from Westminster (not the show dogs!). Neat. I've seen one of those fly ball competitions in person before at a county fair. Their feet barely touched the ground.

Dagger through my bulldog-loving heart!

Susan1

Dagger through my bulldog-loving heart!
Sorry! I had relatives (Patty in my picture) who had Boston Terriers first and Bulldogs later. All snorfy and drooly. Funny (not) - when I went out to visit relatives in Tucson, you could see discoloration along the baseboards from the drool being shaken off. They admitted it. I told my mom when I got home and she about threw up. My cousin Lisa used to show their Boxers when she was a kid. And she and her husband both had them growing up and had two after they were married. Big strong dogs like that make me uncomfortable. I'm just a soulful eyed, long-eared hound person! We were at a fall festival somewhere and a lady was walking a Scottish Deerhoud. I'm 5'6" and the dog practically looked me in the eye! Whoa.
Shoes. I actually noticed one woman whose flats were so flat, her feet looked like duck feet. You couldn't even see the tops of her shoes. I wear a lot of flats and mine don't do that.
the length of pants distracts from the outline of the dogs
But men wear pants. Long dresses look dumb too. How about A line skirts a little below the knee. I could trot in that.

Susan1

Drifting.........p.s. - another profile picture (fuzzy, I don't know why) - Oscar laying on my stuffed dachshund I've had since I was 10. Her name is Gretel. My friend Shauna got one the same Christmas after we asked for them after seeing them in the store. Hers was named Hansel. (double drift - on Christmas morning, she brought Hansel over on her new snow saucer thing - I can see it plain as day. She had on a red maxi coat.:biggrinbo)
And on the pillow is a stuffed doxie from a Hallmark store. The tag, which you can't see, actually says Oscar! I got him after we got the real Oscar, who I got to re-name. His papers said his name was Gypsy's Wee Brutus. Geez, huh?

Japanfan

Boxer was gorgeous...we were rooting for him.
I was captivated by the big guys who didn't make it: Newf, Berner, Great Pyr., Leonberger, Tibetan Mastiff and the St. Bernard who kept having snoozes!

The big guys pretty much always seem to be at a disadvantage. Seems that smaller dogs are more likely to win Best in Show than bigger dogs. Of course, there was the year that Josh the Newfoundland won :cheer2::cheer2: , which created a whole lot of buzz.

And the golden retrievers just don't care. They think that the ring is boring, and they know that they know they are among the most beautiful of dogs. :p

SFAIK, the smaller dogs have an advantage because it is easier to ensure that they conform to breed standard.

Last edited:

Scrufflet

As a casual watcher, I am learning a lot in this thread! Do handlers spend time planning how their clothes will best present the dog? I never gave this too much thought.

Japanfan

As a casual watcher, I am learning a lot in this thread! Do handlers spend time planning how their clothes will best present the dog? I never gave this too much thought.

I'm sure they scrutinize every little detail. Showing in the ring is serious business and Westminster is the most prestigious of shows in the US.

Susan1

Reading this thread, it seems that the clothes (ladies) might be more of a distraction than a help, huh? You see a bright pink sausage with duck feet lumbering down the ring, it's like "what dog?". ha ha ha ha

Susan1

^^ Hopefully next year we will see bunny slippers!
Can't you see the dogs attacking them!!!

Actually, I still have my slippers with dog heads on them (on a closet shelf) - brown and tan with long ears, of course! My ex's kids got them for me for Christmas. We had a two story house and I couldn't walk up the steps in them.

Susan1

It's been a couple hours between my posts -

I got to pet a young Greyhound today (brindle coat) when I stopped at the community center. I said while watching two days of dog shows I really wanted to pet a dog, after I was already petting. His "mom" said he loves it. Doggie-me put my purse down and gave him some good petting while they talked (the other ladies). I asked him if he watched the dog shows.

Actually, I still have my slippers with dog heads on them (on a closet shelf) - brown and tan with long ears, of course! My ex's kids got them for me for Christmas. We had a two story house and I couldn't walk up the steps in them.
Well, heck, I just went and looked. They are actually "pound puppy" slippers! With the PP logo on them. I remember we were playing with them at Kmart and Jeremy remembered at Christmas. Somebody must have looked for my shoe size. I also have an actual black and white (for Sadie) pound puppy. I sent away and got a heart shaped tag with his new name "Goliath". I don't remember why that name. It's nothing like the dog on Davey and Goliath. Rambling.............

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information