140th Westminister Kennel Club Dog Show - Feb. 15-16

Susan1

It's just the way they move. The dog is fine. And the show leashes are just to guide. They don't hurt the dogs. Most dogs at this caliber love the excitement of the ring. They know what they're doing.

I know!! :) !!!! And I know the leashes must not hurt. I don't understand why they don't put them behind the long floppy ears so they don't have to try to trot and flap at the same time. I'd fall over. ha ha

Susan1

My mother used to own GSDs. They did NOT used to look like that, and the working/guard/military lines don't now. She hates the extreme slope (and it's more than just how they stand.) She used to have nothing but (I remember growing up with the last one) and now says she'd never have a dog with a back and hind legs like that. Not my breed anyway; I have Pems.

Yeah, he looked uncomfortable. I see that "police" dogs don't look like that. And when did they start adding the word "dog" to the end? GSDs? Speaking of German Shepherds, I babysat for people in high school who had a "GSD" (faster than writing it all out, huh?) named Mr. Big. He liked to slip out the door a lot. Picture a 16 year old girl standing in the doorway of an apartment yelling out into the parking lot in the dark for Mr. Big. LOL LOL LOL

Spun Silver

They wrap these dog's ears along with the top knot to keep them out of their food and to keep them from chewing each other's ears. I keep my dog's ear hair cut fairly short. My avatar is Bella and there was a cookie incident which resulted in hair about to the length of the ear leather. :lol: Draco isn't too bad with his. As soon as a show dog is not showing, they clip most of that hair.
Also, i use very small dishes (ramekins) for my dog's food so their ears don't dip in.

IceAlisa

discriminating and persnickety ballet aficionado
Police departments import GSD pups from Germany and usually avoid American "slopy" show ring build. The German lines are usually more stocky & sturdy, much better suited for police work.

skatingfan5

Past Prancer's Corridor
Police departments import GSD pups from Germany and usually avoid American "slopy" show ring build. The German lines are usually more stocky & sturdy, much better suited for police work.
I know that it is the breed standard now, but I have always thought that the sloping topline made the GSD look slightly deformed and wondered if it caused any problems. I much prefer the look of a more straight back, but then I'm not an AKC judge. :shuffle:

IceAlisa

IIRC, the slope does cause problems. I think it's the hips.

Artemis@BC

What do you think of the new breeds? They're pretty cool, I thought.

My favourites of the new breeds were the herders -- the Spanish Water Dog in particular, but also the Berger Picard.

I'm happy with the top pick for the herding group, and I agree she's probably the odds-on favourite to win. But I would have been happy with any of the herders, they're all such great dogs.

But I don't know when I'll have a chance to watch part II, as I'm out tonight and all day tomorrow.

Japanfan

And the show leashes are just to guide. They don't hurt the dogs. Most dogs at this caliber love the excitement of the ring. They know what they're doing.

Show leases are slip leashes, and also know as 'the garrotte'. They are positioned high up on the neck to give maximum control (same case with some other collars,like the prong). As they are just a thin rope, they can definitely hurt a dog and are not recommended for use in regular heel training. And to me, it looks like the dogs hold their dog in a slightly unnatural position due to the leash (neck held higher than it would be normally). But, that is the position that is desirable in the ring, I would guess, as it makes the neck and head so visible.

And ring handlers obviously know how to train with this leash.

My mother used to own GSDs. They did NOT used to look like that, and the working/guard/military lines don't now. She hates the extreme slope (and it's more than just how they stand.) She used to have nothing but (I remember growing up with the last one) and now says she'd never have a dog with a back and hind legs like that. Not my breed anyway

There was a documentary made about negative (in some cases tragic) changes that breeders were making to dogs (posted here at some point). One was increasing the slope on the GSD. In some cases, the change was so extreme that the poor dogs couldn't want or run properly and medical issues resulted.

Not a good watch before watching Westminster, obviously.

Susan1

Show leases are slip leashes, and also know as 'the garrotte'. They are positioned high up on the neck to give maximum control (same case with some other collars,like the prong). As they are just a thin rope, they can definitely hurt a dog and are not recommended for use in regular heel training. And to me, it looks like the dogs hold their dog in a slightly unnatural position due to the leash (neck held higher than it would be normally). But, that is the position that is desirable in the ring, I would guess, as it makes the neck and head so visible.

And ring handlers obviously know how to train with this leash.

There was a documentary made about negative (in some cases tragic) changes that breeders were making to dogs (posted here at some point). One was increasing the slope on the GSD. In some cases, the change was so extreme that the poor dogs couldn't want or run properly and medical issues resulted.

Susan1

I'm so so sorry I brought this up!!!! Now I am going to worry about all the GSDs in the world all night (and tomorrow and...............)! (is there a crying "smiley"?)

IceAlisa

The lagotto is my favorite newcomer.

The German pointer :swoon:

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Bella sailed off the couch to go put her nose on the TV for the pointer. :lol: My parents used to have pointers and English setters to hunt quail. Both extremely smart breeds.

Irish setters, OTOH, are gorgeous and most are dumb as rocks. I've had 2 of them.

Anybody interested in a cocker, particularly a blonde cocker, needs to get good genetic information about the dog. They are the number one breed to develop immune mediated hemolytic anemia. Standard Poodles are in the top 5. Bella developed it at age two, survived and was diagnosed with Addison's dz last year. The Poodle Club of America is developing a genetic database to help reduce the incidents in Poodles.

Last edited:

A.H.Black

And there goes another year's hope for the Golden and the Lab. Next year.

My next years are getting fewer and fewer.

Garden Kitty

Tranquillo
I want to know if there is some accepted rules about what people wear when they show dogs. Some match the dog's color, and others go for contrast.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
:wuzrobbed the Akita looks just like our late Molly. Wonderful breed who actually does very well in small yards and houses. They are really low key except they do NOT like other animals unless very well socialized.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
My uncle had a doberman named Daisy. Daisy was remarkably dumb.
Dobies vary widely and breeding is very important. I had one when my son was born and the dog was wonderful. Smart, great with Micah and accepted other animals easily. I would never adopt a Dobie unless I knew it's history because there can be issues. Ours was a great dog, but you need to know the temperment of the parents and be prepared to make certain the dog knows who is alpha. Micah thought Cody (the dog) was his brother.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
I want a treat and I don't care if I ruin your suit or my chances - So there!
I had a vet who raised and showed Corgis. She used hot dog pieces for treats. One of the office staff sewed plastic liners in all her pockets.

Cachoo

The Leonburger was hysterical.

The Neopolitan Mastiff is right behind it, literally.

They ought to give audience appreciation awards. The Leonburger would run away with it. Or they could award him in doggy treats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information