2024 World Figure Skating Championships in Montreal

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
For those of us with the printed “smart tickets”, I just tested to see if they fit in the ID holder on an old lanyard. They do. So if you have an old conference ID lying around…

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
For those of us with the printed “smart tickets”, I just tested to see if they fit in the ID holder on an old lanyard. They do. So if you have an old conference ID lying around…

I’m hoping they give us bracelets at the beginning of each day. It makes it so much quicker than scanning and rescanning tickets when going in and out.

Sylvia

TBD
Skate Canada's Worlds press release today (March 12):
Fans will also get to experience a one-of-a-kind Fan Festival at the Cour Rio Tinto right beside the Bell Centre, where food trucks, booths, and family-friendly activities will be held throughout the week. Competitions will also be streamed on a giant screen so as not to miss any of the action.
CBC Sports (TV) & live streaming schedule (info is also posted in the "2023/2024 CBC Sports Streaming Schedule" thread in the TV Alerts subforum): https://www.cbc.ca/sports/streaming-schedule?sport=Figure+Skating

ETA a promo clip with Piper, Paul & Marjorie :): https://www.instagram.com/reel/C4azM-1MFlS/

Last edited:

jkl

Before I get in line at the food trucks can anyone let me know what kind of $$ they accept?

Sylvia

TBD
Joint post by maisondupatin and xpressionelite:
... Join us at our kiosk during the event for a firsthand look at our latest gear.
Plus, mark your calendars for Saturday, March 23rd from 5-6pm to meet our special guests @deannamsd622 @maximedeschamps @kellyannlaurin @loucas_ethier and snag an autograph! Don’t miss out on this exciting opportunity to meet them in person and grab a keepsake to remember the event by.
Let’s make these championships one to remember! ⭐

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Nobody will ever say no to US $ because of the exchange rate but you will lose money as your change will be in Canadian.

I've seen food trucks decline US $ because the staff are working fast and don't have time to figure out the conversion rate (i.e. to make sure the US $ is at least equivalent to the Canadian price). It's a lot simpler to pay with credit or bring some Canadian $ to pay with.

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
I've seen food trucks decline US $ because the staff are working fast and don't have time to figure out the conversion rate (i.e. to make sure the US $ is at least equivalent to the Canadian price). It's a lot simpler to pay with credit or bring some Canadian $ to pay with.
I would not assume they would convert - they will likely take it face value as that is my experience when at food trucks with friends using U.S. $$. The only places I would expect any type of conversion would be border towns like Niagara - certainly not Montreal. Also I would expect cash not credit for food trucks.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
I would not assume they would convert - they will likely take it face value as that is my experience when at food trucks with friends using U.S. $$. The only places I would expect any type of conversion would be border towns like Niagara - certainly not Montreal. Also I would expect cash not credit for food trucks.
Why? Most food trucks have Square machines nowadays and can easily accept credit.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Not with food trucks, but that's been my experience in Canada. If it's $9CAD and you hand over a $10USD, you get $1CAD back.

There are stores and museums that list conversion rates, but for more casual cash exchanges, it's been face value.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City

I've seen food truck staff in the West decline US $ (cash) because they are only familiar with Canadian currency. Every food truck that I've seen takes credit. If cash is an issue, it makes a lot more sense for people attending Worlds to go to a bank (or a currency exchange if that's all that's available) and get some Canadian $ to use while they're here.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
It's usually a good thing to have some local currency stored someplace else than your purse/wallet/backpack anyway. You may need a cab ride home or transit fare if you're pickpocketed or drop your wallet somewhere. Even if you never get to converting it back.

Sylvia

TBD
Worlds-related excerpts from this Elladj Balde article: https://olympics.com/en/news/elladj-balde-relationship-skating-social-media-influence-interview
The World Figure Skating Championships arrive in Montreal next week (20-24 March), where Balde will perform in the opening ceremony before serving as co-choreographer with his wife, Michelle Dawley, for the event-ending exhibition gala.
“Worlds has definitely been on the bucket list for us,” Balde says of he and Dawley’s choreographer work. [...]
Seeing these guys [Uno, Kagiyama, Malinin, Aisao Him Fa] battle it out at Worlds... it's going to be epic,” he says.
“It's hard to know who's going to take it. I think Ilia, just for his ability to jump in a way that no one else can right now, for me, is my favorite to take it. But who knows? You know, it's going to be really hard to predict because the guys, those top four guys... they're really strong.”
The energy exchange at Worlds should be through the roof. And – as Balde hopes – it could create a whole new set of skating fans. Inspired in a variety of ways.

manhn

If you’re concerned about getting Canadian cash (that means you probably don’t go to Canada often), then go to a Tim Horton on your first day (because it’s a Canadian thing to do anyway), get a Double Double or Timbit, and pay with your 20 dollar bill. They have exchange rates on their menu, so they will give you change in CDN. That should be enough for you for the rest of the trip, you can use any leftover loonies as tips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information