The Dance Hall 10: The Saitama Samba 2022-2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

sap5

lilah & lewis as mfd & hageneuer in the kiss and cry with p&c at 2015 worlds šŸ˜‚

(with harris & chan playing p&c)
This is excellent. Above and beyond.

Rhumba dā€™Amour

They should listen to me and do an entirely character driven piece as United Airlines flight attendants during the era of bad passenger behavior, with the choreographic step being them working together to duct tape a passenger to a seat. Or one of them is the flight attendant and the other is a passenger who gets progressively more drunk during the flight.
Interesting concept, but I think Hawayek and Baker have claimed that kind of physical comedy as their territory :)

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
@SkatingScores has identified a glitch in the IJS software which is underscoring GOE associated wuth the following elements. The ISU should hire her stat!

1. All Step Seqs in RD
2. CiSt in FD
3. One-Foot Turns

They actually identified the error as something that occurred at Japan Sectionals, so it's possible the glitch is in the JSF software but not in the ISU's overall software.

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri
If they're thinking long-term, I don't think skating for France would have given them a better chance in the long run, although it might have given them more chances to compete at Euros, if they were able to turn around the internal politics.

Thanks for the thoughts on L/LG. I suppose a lot of their future will turn on whether Gilles/Poirier and/or Fournier-Beaudry/Sorenson stick around to the next Olympics. If either retires, then they're in the fight for an Olympic spot. If not, they might not get a post-season until the Olympic year when they'd presumably go to 4CC.

muffinplus

I am extremely confused by Gilles & Poirier's RD and how it fits the theme...it sounds more like Broadway musical theatre rather than anything latin. Surprised they didn't get hit with any violations?

Last edited:

chantilly

I am extremely confused by Gilles & Poirier's RD and how it fits the theme...it sounds more like Broadway musical theatre rather than anything latin. Surprised they didn't get hit with any violations?
It is not remotely close to a Broadway musical sound
It does have some sound for some jazz and r and b/ soul flavour however.

Last edited:

muffinplus

It is not remotely close to a Broadway musical sound
It does have some sound for some jazz and r and b/ soul flavour however.
Are you saying there are no jazz broadway musicals?... I mean it's more Broadway musical sounding than it is Latin....but if you don't agree ... that's not really the point...it's just not Latin sounding in any way... people say Chock and Bates' RD is not Latin but it is waayy more Latin than G&P's šŸ¤· There is ZERO latin anything in there, other than the drum beat in the slow section. It was just extremely confusing watching itand trying to figure out the relationship between this year's theme and what that RD was.

Last edited:

leilaofpaper

I mean theyā€™ve categorised the first song under Cha Cha - and arenā€™t the dance steps the more important part of it? They definitely do elements of the cha cha. You could do ballroom style dance to not typically ballroom music, so why not the same for these Latin themes?

Impromptu

Sekret Custom Title
I mean theyā€™ve categorised the first song under Cha Cha - and arenā€™t the dance steps the more important part of it? They definitely do elements of the cha cha. You could do ballroom style dance to not typically ballroom music, so why not the same for these Latin themes?
Seems to be what these contestants on "Strictly Come Dancing" did... a cha cha to the same piece: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYXch_AZrWQ

Belsornia

I bite because I like it
Is there any news on Mazingue/Gaidajenko of Estonia? They havenā€™t competed yet this season and I donā€™t recall seeing them on any start lists either.

muffinplus

I didnā€™t say they should only be doing typical ballroom music. Just saying the music they picked has nothing Latin to it at all.

lauravvv

I didnā€™t say they should only be doing typical ballroom music. Just saying the music they picked has nothing Latin to it at all.
I have watched quite many episodes of Dancing with the Stars (not just the US version) and also dancesport competitions, so I know that even professional latin and ballroom dancers often use music that seemingly has nothing to do with the dance they are doing, except the rhythm. So why wouldn't ice dancers be allowed the same?

muffinplus

I have watched quite many episodes of Dancing with the Stars (not just the US version) and also dancesport competitions, so I know that even professional latin and ballroom dancers often use music that seemingly has nothing to do with the dance they are doing, except the rhythm. So why wouldn't ice dancers be allowed the same?
"The music must be selected in accordance with the designated rhythm(s) and/or theme(s), and with the specified tempo when applicable."

OK then. I am sure I wasn't the only who was a bit WTF over that program...Music doesn't matter? TBH that seems a bit... nonsensical... well to me anyways.

Bigbird

But this season, in Ice Dance, we have neither the music nor the steps! :p
Well its not as though V/M or W/P were coming back this season. So whom did we expect latin from Nikita? If S/D came back this season the latin swag would be really hot. But we have what we have.

sap5

Just saw Muramoto/Takahashi's FD, and it makes me irrationally angry. Why is Marina making them skate to this tired warhorse at the beginning of the quad? This is the time for something fresh and exciting! What a waste.

Debbie S

Just saw Muramoto/Takahashi's FD, and it makes me irrationally angry. Why is Marina making them skate to this tired warhorse at the beginning of the quad? This is the time for something fresh and exciting! What a waste.
I would have liked for KanaDai to have skated to something more original, but I don't hate POTO. :) I think it is actually a good vehicle for them.

VGThuy

Plus, itā€™s Marina. If Dai and Kana want to skate to something ā€œoriginalā€, theyā€™re going to have to do a Shibs and start coming up with their own themes (and music and outsource the original choreography before Marina edits it). Since Dai is still relatively new to ice dance, theyā€™re probably choosing certain pieces for the FD with that in mind.

clairecloutier

I think Kana/Daisuke are doing a decent job with POTO, but yeah, it wouldn't have been my first choice for them. Neither of their programs this season are as much to my taste as last year's programs. šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø P.S. There's nothing wrong with the current programs; they just aren't as interesting to me.

VGThuy

Dai himself also wasnā€™t above warhorses when he worked with Morosov. We just didnā€™t mind them so much back then because it was Dai and he could sell almost anything back then.

On My Own

Dai himself also wasnā€™t above warhorses when he worked with Morosov. We just didnā€™t mind them so much back then because it was Dai and he could sell almost anything back then.
OK, but just as a reminder Moulin Rouge! wasn't a warhorse back then! So don't count it!

Violin Concerto in D major, Op. 35 is also technically not a warhorse :p The rest you can keep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information