The Dance Hall 10: The Saitama Samba 2022-2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

VGThuy

I still haven’t gotten over L/LG’s misinformed “rap” faces and weird “gangsta hands” during their “Uptown Funk” program years ago.

litenkyckling

I still haven’t gotten over L/LG’s misinformed “rap” faces and weird “gangsta hands” during their “Uptown Funk” program years ago.
they're a team that I just can't get on with - never have but no idea why. I know a lot of people (and judges) like the FD this year but I despise it. It feels quite junior. It feels like pairs not dance. Yes they have fancy acrobatic lifts, but there's more to dance than lifts. Just overall, cannot get on board sorry!

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
they're a team that I just can't get on with - never have but no idea why. I know a lot of people (and judges) like the FD this year but I despise it. It feels quite junior. It feels like pairs not dance. Yes they have fancy acrobatic lifts, but there's more to dance than lifts. Just overall, cannot get on board sorry!
My first thought when I saw Pink Panther was no one over the age of ten should be doing this. (And no I was not a fan of Aliona and Robin’s)

firstflight

My first thought when I saw Pink Panther was no one over the age of ten should be doing this. (And no I was not a fan of Aliona and Robin’s)
I regularly disagree with Johnny Weir’s takes on ice dance, but I completely agree with him about this Pink Panther program that it’s too “one note.” The concept just ceases to be interesting after the first 45 seconds.

VGThuy

It’s nice to see Green/Parsons back to being close to their senior career best score in the FD. The program can still use some work but it’s so much better than it was at Finlandia. They’re more into it and hit the musical notes well. I’m understanding the choreography more now. Still, we need more oomph from the choreography and from Michael. His bodyline and edges are still first-rate.

angi

I agree Green/Parsons are much improved, and hat's off to them for improving that much in two weeks, it's so impressive. I still feel like the program does nothing for them tbh, but at least they reworked the 2nd half of the FD that was not working.
Evita was much better than I expected, I wish G/P used it last season instead of threepeating the same FD. Some moments in the FD felt a bit junior-like but some were brilliant.
L/L and L/LG had my two favorite FDs, amazing how improved L/LG are, and L/L are sure rising fast (and justifyingly so).
Fear/Gibson are a mystery to me, so much of what they do is so effective on the judges and the audience (they have yet another crowd-pleasing FD), but the skating element of it all just doesn't exist.

Andrea82

Couple representing Armenia (Azroian/Grezdev) achieved the TES for Europeans at Denis Ten Memorial.
Couples representing Kazakhstan (Nauryzova/Datiev) and Azerbaijan (Carhart/Kolosovkyi) achieved the TES for Words at Denis Ten Memorial.

However, yes, just by looking at the names on the panels, the DTM screamed "let's push everybody over the minimums" type of events. Only Baranov was missing.

A/G needs a couple of points more in the RD for Worlds...where is the "magic" place to be next? Santa Claus Cup or Bosphorus Cup?

Last edited:

litenkyckling

I am baffled as to why F/G score the way they do. I understand the fun factor, of course I do. But following both L/L and Gr/P I think that their skating skills were glaringly obvious. I'm not saying they don't deserve success, but the way they are judged makes me not enjoy the event as much. It all feels a bit gimmicky and the twizzles were like sbs spins in pairs. If they beat H/B at the GPF with the same skates as each team had at SCI and SkAm..... Yes "dance" should be part of ice dance, but I think the "ice" is being forgotten. I want to see speed and a nice rise and fall with the knee and deep edges and fantastic carriage - as well as the waving arms and posing on the ice.

VGThuy

I am baffled as to why F/G score the way they do. I understand the fun factor, of course I do. But following both L/L and Gr/P I think that their skating skills were glaringly obvious. I'm not saying they don't deserve success, but the way they are judged makes me not enjoy the event as much. It all feels a bit gimmicky and the twizzles were like sbs spins in pairs. If they beat H/B at the GPF with the same skates as each team had at SCI and SkAm..... Yes "dance" should be part of ice dance, but I think the "ice" is being forgotten. I want to see speed and a nice rise and fall with the knee and deep edges and fantastic carriage - as well as the waving arms and posing on the ice.
Yes! :respec:

firstflight

I mean this in a totally sincere way. But isn’t this why the powers to be made the changes that they did to the RD this season? That this is the direction they want ice dance to continue moving? IMO, it was the RD that kept F/G’s scoring in check somewhat last season. As in, a mid-70’s RD score at the Olympics isn’t going to be paired with a 125 in the FD, so both phases were somewhat more reasonable.
This season, boom, they’re in the mid-80’s for the RD, and their FD scores rise into the same band.

litenkyckling

I mean this in a totally sincere way. But isn’t this why the powers to be made the changes that they did to the RD this season? That this is the direction they want ice dance to continue moving? IMO, it was the RD that kept F/G’s scoring in check somewhat last season. As in, a mid-70’s RD score at the Olympics isn’t going to be paired with a 125 in the FD, so both phases were somewhat more reasonable.
This season, boom, they’re in the mid-80’s for the RD, and their FD scores rise into the same band.
Yeah - but doesn’t mean I have to like it. I think the ISU technical committee have made some rubbish decisions the last few years in ice dance.

Seerek

Imo, The way F/G have constructed their FD plays to their supposed strengths - to have all 3 choreographic elements to finish off the program (that being said, G/P are doing the same).

For me, it's the equivalent of when a singles skater pre IJS would front load their programs with just jumps.

Last edited:

shan

Imo, The way F/G constructed their FD plays to their supposed strengths - to have all 3 choreographic elements to finish off the program (that being said, G/P are doing the same).

For me, it's the equivalent of when a singles skater pre IJS would front load their programs with jumps.

Which G/P?

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
Gilles' performance and dancing is waaaaaaaay too overcooked and I wish she'd stop. The first half of the RD and the rotational lift are decent choreography I guess, not very sure it's all really capturing the music tbh.

Even Diana Davis and Daisuke Takahashi have better skating skills than Lilah Fear. Amazing. Cringe RD from Fear/Gibson, sorry.
Further proof that you have no idea what you are talking about when it comes to ice dance.

GoneWithTheWind

F/G scoring 125 for a program where most of the step sequence levels were L2 and skating skills were not wonderful while all last quad G/F struggled to break 125 and just last week H/B got 122 with all L3s/4s seems baffling to me. I hope if/when all the teams face each other, skating skills/tech prowess wins out.

On My Own

Further proof that you have no idea what you are talking about when it comes to ice dance.
You know, if you don't understand the word "opinion", you can go to a primary school again? Or do they just never teach you what that means in your schools?

If you want though, I just won't post about ice dance here. There are other avenues to do so.

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri
Thoughts after Skate Canada

Gilles/Poirier look trained and ready to go. Evita is a different look than their last several FDs, nice to see them branching out. The battle for the other spot on the Canadian world team will be fierce. I'm very impressed with Lajoie/Lagha's improvement this year. She seems to be expanding her repertoire as a performer beyond just :D. And the Canadanes also looked great at their Sr. B. Laurialt/LeGac have a fun audience-friendly program, but not a lot of complexity to their linking movement. They seem to be a firm CAN #4. Think they would have had a better chance at success if they had stayed French.

Green/Parsons: I am pleased by their improvement since their Senior B. They both looked to be performing more and thinking through the movement less. Green, in particular, stepped out of his shadow in the RD, and I liked her interpretation. The FD is okay, but still felt generic. Again, looking forward to seeing Carreria/Ponomarenko to see how they compare, and to see how Pate/Bye do on the GP, though I don't think Green/Parsons have anything to worry about there.

Fear/Gibson: They don't meet the standard of technical skill that I want to see in an elite dance team.

Bratti/Somerville: Both programs come across very "young" to me. He has amazing bladework, and she is alright with the technique. I would like to see more mature or innovative programs from them next season. It's too bad they only have one GP. A 6th place finish shows that they deserve to be competing at this level.

sap5

Just saw the Gilles/Poirier FD. Who is Paul supposed to be in this dance? I couldn't take my eyes off of him, because his lines and skating are so beautiful. But, I also got this vibe from him of "Look at me, I'm gorgeous, and Piper is Also Here." Is that supposed to be the story? Is Paul Argentina, skating with the ghost of Eva Peron? Because if so, that's a brilliant choreographical concept.

chantilly

Just saw the Gilles/Poirier FD. Who is Paul supposed to be in this dance? I couldn't take my eyes off of him, because his lines and skating are so beautiful. But, I also got this vibe from him of "Look at me, I'm gorgeous, and Piper is Also Here." Is that supposed to be the story? Is Paul Argentina, skating with the ghost of Eva Peron? Because if so, that's a brilliant choreographical concept.
I thought he was Che at first but think he was representing the Argentinian people.

I thought it was very prevalent in the straight line lift during the “Don’t cry for me” part.

Piper struck that famous Eva pose( think historically Eva was on a pulpit or balcony talking to her adoring people)

And also all the back to back mirroring section.

I believe Che was a military man, so I guess there might be a touch of him in the character Paul is playing. But that relationship was very adversarial. I didn’t get that vibe.

Paul definitely stood our a lot in this program but I still notice Piper.

I think this is just going to get better.

Carol indicated they have a lot still to work on.

But it’s a gorgeous FD so far

So happy they have great material this year and seem to have a legitimate shot at the podium.

sap5

Too me, they are very French ice dance in their style - I still am surprised that they skate for Canada now because they seem so French.
It's funny that you say that, because to me this FD looks like something Gilles/Poirier would do, and would skate in the same way.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Laurialt/LeGac have a fun audience-friendly program, but not a lot of complexity to their linking movement. They seem to be a firm CAN #4. Think they would have had a better chance at success if they had stayed French.
If they're thinking long-term, I don't think skating for France would have given them a better chance in the long run, although it might have given them more chances to compete at Euros, if they were able to turn around the internal politics.

While Papadakis/Cizeron were dominant, there really wasn't a strong French team behind them placing high enough to be swept into the vacuum once P/C left the field. Without P/C, France couldn't hold two spots, let alone three. Canada is down to two this year by being one placement short at 2022 Worlds, the first time since 2010, after V/M won bronze and first-year seniors, Crone/Poirier, finished 12th at 2009 Worlds.

I think L/LG have a better chance of being swept in and up when Gilles/Poirier and the Danadians leave the field, especially since they and Lajoie/Lagha are getting respect now, and I think B/B will eventually be next in line, but still working their way up from debuting as Canada #3 in the teens at a future Worlds. They could also decide to stay in past 2026, too, whether a couple of years or for the next Olympics, since 33 and nearly 35 aren't unheard of ages for Ice Dance, which they'd be in 2030.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
If they're thinking long-term, I don't think skating for France would have given them a better chance in the long run, although it might have given them more chances to compete at Euros, if they were able to turn around the internal politics.

While Papadakis/Cizeron were dominant, there really wasn't a strong French team behind them placing high enough to be swept into the vacuum once P/C left the field. Without P/C, France couldn't hold two spots, let alone three. Canada is down to two this year by being one placement short at 2022 Worlds, the first time since 2010, after V/M won bronze and first-year seniors, Crone/Poirier, finished 12th at 2009 Worlds.

I think L/LG have a better chance of being swept in and up when Gilles/Poirier and the Danadians leave the field, especially since they and Lajoie/Lagha are getting respect now, and I think B/B will eventually be next in line, but still working their way up from debuting as Canada #3 in the teens at a future Worlds. They could also decide to stay in past 2026, too, whether a couple of years or for the next Olympics, since 33 and nearly 35 aren't unheard of ages for Ice Dance, which they'd be in 2030.
I thought another factor in their decision to switch was that they'd determined they wanted to remain in Montreal beyond the conclusion of their competitive skating career - they've really come to view Canada as home and the place where they will put down their roots.

I did think, on first blush, that this was a crazy decision and they'd be stuck in the same 4-5th range where they were when skating for France, but with the way things are shaking out on the Canadian dance scene, it does appear to have been a good choice after all. They have certainly broken out from the rest of the pack and asserted themselves as the clear Canada #4 this season.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
I think they could have stayed in Montreal, because whether the represented France or Canada, she could have sponsored him for residency (if he didn't already have it) leading to citizenship if he wanted it, but my suspicion is that Haguenaur read the French political tea leaves and advised them, whether proactively or because they asked.

morqet

rising like a phoenix
I'm trying to think of music that would work for F/G that would push them out of the rut they've got stuck into, but still allow them to be very "dance-y", and have the high impact choreo elements. Maybe something like La Strada, or something along the lines of P/B's Circus program? Or just lean into Lewis's background, break out the best of Jimmy Shand and do 4 minutes of Scottish reels. I'm so bored of what they are doing now, and they do have more range! Their WSS in the season before they broke out was fine, it doesn't have to be all gimmicks & tricks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information