The Dance Hall 10: The Saitama Samba 2022-2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Debbie S

I'm trying to think of music that would work for F/G that would push them out of the rut they've got stuck into, but still allow them to be very "dance-y", and have the high impact choreo elements. Maybe something like La Strada, or something along the lines of P/B's Circus program? Or just lean into Lewis's background, break out the best of Jimmy Shand and do 4 minutes of Scottish reels. I'm so bored of what they are doing now, and they do have more range! Their WSS in the season before they broke out was fine, it doesn't have to be all gimmicks & tricks.
As long as they're scoring 125 in the FD, I think they'll continue with the same style. I loved their disco program and I liked Lion King, Gaga is OK, but I would also like them to branch out. But their current formula is helping them climb the ranks, so unless/until their scores stagnate, they have no incentive to do anything differently.

barbarafan

Not too crazy about Gi/Po's RD but at least the music edit is quite coherent (which can't be said for most senior RDs this year).
I liked the dance moves in the RD but was very distracted by Piper's face. She does dramatic and angst wonderfully but I think she was trying for sexy and all I kept seeing was her mouth opening and shutting constantly and it was very distracting. I really enjoyed the FD and I think they can really build on it.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
I'm trying to think of music that would work for F/G that would push them out of the rut they've got stuck into, but still allow them to be very "dance-y", and have the high impact choreo elements. Maybe something like La Strada, or something along the lines of P/B's Circus program? Or just lean into Lewis's background, break out the best of Jimmy Shand and do 4 minutes of Scottish reels. I'm so bored of what they are doing now, and they do have more range! Their WSS in the season before they broke out was fine, it doesn't have to be all gimmicks & tricks.
I actually snarked during one of the early Challengers that I expected them to go backward in time since we've had 70s, 80s, 90s, and now 00s from them, so maybe Big Band/Swing or Jazz/Charleston-y?

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
I actually snarked during one of the early Challengers that I expected them to go backward in time since we've had 70s, 80s, 90s, and now 00s from them, so maybe Big Band/Swing or Jazz/Charleston-y?
Honestly I’m grateful for teams that play to their strengths. Can you imagine F/G trying to pull off PapCiz lyrical? :scream:

It’s great when there’s a team like V/M or DenStav that can really vary their style but it’s rare.

Peepsquick

Honestly I’m grateful for teams that play to their strengths. Can you imagine F/G trying to pull off PapCiz lyrical? :scream:

It’s great when there’s a team like V/M or DenStav that can really vary their style but it’s rare.
I agree ... I do not see why you want people to skate styles that do not agree with their skating skills (glide). I only liked V/M in their more "showy", fun, athletic pieces. They are excellent and probably unsurpassed at them. Their forays into lyrical never rung true for them (even the fan favorite "Mahler"-piece).
Staying true to what you excel in doesn't mean boring imo ... you can have variety within a certain style.

chantilly

I liked the dance moves in the RD but was very distracted by Piper's face. She does dramatic and angst wonderfully but I think she was trying for sexy and all I kept seeing was her mouth opening and shutting constantly and it was very distracting. I really enjoyed the FD and I think they can really build on it.
I was surprised by that a bit. I agree. Piper IMO is one of the few that don’t suffer from the curse of O-face. She’s generally been a very natural and believable actor. But they’ve never really attempted sultry before so I’m guessing she’s overcompensating.

I’ve never thought of G/P as a sexy team.

However I think if she just dials back her face and trusts her natural acting ability it’ll make the difference.

Peepsquick

I think that F/G are still a young team, working on their skating skills. I do not think they deserve all the bad press they are getting.
I think that they are steadily improving and find them wildly entertaining.

VGThuy

To be honest, for the Olympic year, I totally want F/G to play to their strengths and go full dance floor club mix on us. I just want to see them expand their dance repertoire a bit because it’ll only improve their dance and even skating skills once they go back to their strengths and their strengths will be even better and probably backed up with better skating.

firstflight

I was surprised by that a bit. I agree. Piper IMO is one of the few that don’t suffer from the curse of O-face. She’s generally been a very natural and believable actor. But they’ve never really attempted sultry before so I’m guessing she’s overcompensating.

I’ve never thought of G/P as a sexy team.

However I think if she just dials back her face and trusts her natural acting ability it’ll make the difference.
Right, I agree. Even though I loved their tango FD, I never got passionate couple from what they were story-telling. It was much more “besties having a dramatic tiff” vibe for me.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?

Well, I wasn't suggesting that FearGib go the PapCiz route with either Big Band/Swing or Jazz/Charleston. Both of those genres would suit their energy quite well, IMO, but YMMV.

morqet

rising like a phoenix
To be honest, for the Olympic year, I totally want F/G to play to their strengths and go full dance floor club mix on us. I just want to see them expand their dance repertoire a bit because it’ll only improve their dance and even skating skills once they go back to their strengths and their strengths will be even better and probably backed up with better skating.
Yes exactly. And I can see why, in this season when there is an opportunity to establish themselves as a top 5 team, they've stuck with what's proven to work. But I hope that at some point in the next two years they push themselves to try something different. Because if they don't, the impact of the full dance floor club mix for the next OGs will be diminished because we will have seen it already so many times.

skatingguy

decently
I find Gilles/Poirier’s Evita FD to be far superior to what they did last year and wonder why it wasn’t their Olympic program.
I think they went safe in the Olympic season, and picked something in the vain of what had been getting them good scores in the season leading up to the Olympics, but it was too safe, and too derivative of those previous programs.

manhn

It's not like Evita is some out-of-left-field piece of music. For me, Gil/Poi have always been best amongst the top teams when it comes to playing a character (moreso Piper than Paul). I just think they have spent more time refining their RD than FD this season, things will evolve over the season.

lauravvv

This event was really good. I am G/P fan but this RD is boring and very generic. This lift labored and unnecessary-oh. L/L all the way.
I don't think that G/P's RD is generic at all - the music is not generic, and neither is the choreo. I really don't understand - what do people want to see in a latin RD? When someone does a ballroom latin RD - it's bland and boring (not really about G/P's RD, since it's not standard ballroom), when someone does something different in terms of music/choreo - it's also bad, not latin enough etc.

Seems like the people who want something non-generic and "out of the box" from those latin RDs actually want to see another round of hip hop/modern streat dance RDs instead of latin.

clairecloutier

What’s interesting is that Fear/Gibson’s pop dance classics FDs are repetitive for them, yet still really stand out from their competitors, too many of whom remain stuck in emo wispy ballad / P/C-derivative contemporary style.

I did really enjoy “Born This Way” at SC partly because it was a different rhythm and mood, but also because F/G seem really well trained and ready this season, and I thought they skated it well.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
What’s interesting is that Fear/Gibson’s pop dance classics FDs are repetitive for them, yet still really stand out from their competitors,
I really like this point. Its a good strategy on their part because they use their strengths and it stands out. I don't see a problem with it. I'd love to see them try more varied music, I'm fine with them doing what works for them though as far as the dance goes.

That said I'm not much of fan of it. So what? That's just my taste.

topaz

What’s interesting is that Fear/Gibson’s pop dance classics FDs are repetitive for them, yet still really stand out from their competitors, too many of whom remain stuck in emo wispy ballad / P/C-derivative contemporary style.

I did really enjoy “Born This Way” at SC partly because it was a different rhythm and mood, but also because F/G seem really well trained and ready this season, and I thought they skated it well.

I totally agree. I happened to enjoy their Kiss RD last season. I noticed they are better skaters now, noticeably. They are going to continue to improve. As team, their musicality is really outstanding in my opinion and Lewis' really commits to the choreography. They are both good performers but Lewis is an exceptional performer.

LeafOnTheWind

Lilah always has to catch up to Lewis. It's always the most noticeable at the beginning of the season but she manages to narrow the gap by end of season. She learns. I do enjoy their programs even if they are repetitive for them because they are exciting compared to the field. I am always grateful to see them because I know they will wake me up.

topaz

I really like both programs from Gilles/Poirier this season. I agree the FD needs some sections reworked/refined to bring more punch. However, there are moments in the FD right now that are really great - choreographed character seq and closed holds section is really nice. The connections and transitions out of elements, especially that last lift are really good.

Choreographed Character Seq

sap5

Just saw the Green/Parsons FD. They skate it very well, but I don't see how this FD moves them forward. It's a style that I assumed they would do well, and they did. What is in this program that will help them grow as ice dancers and as a team?

deegee

lilah & lewis as mfd & hageneuer in the kiss and cry with p&c at 2015 worlds 😂

(with harris & chan playing p&c)

firstflight

Just saw the Green/Parsons FD. They skate it very well, but I don't see how this FD moves them forward. It's a style that I assumed they would do well, and they did. What is in this program that will help them grow as ice dancers and as a team?
They should listen to me and do an entirely character driven piece as United Airlines flight attendants during the era of bad passenger behavior, with the choreographic step being them working together to duct tape a passenger to a seat. Or one of them is the flight attendant and the other is a passenger who gets progressively more drunk during the flight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information