The Dance Hall 10: The Saitama Samba 2022-2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

CesYeg

Nice article about Cesanek and Yehorov:

This is my fav upcoming ice dance team! Supporting them through good & bad times since they were as
Nice article about Cesanek and Yehorov:

Love this ice dance team!❤️ I have been following them since they were juniors through the good & the bad! I hope they are able to at least get a new PB here at Skate Canada.

firstflight

87.23 for G/Poirier is still a bit shy of C/B’s personal best in the RD, but G/P have the higher personal best FD score from 2021 Worlds. I hope for a fierce battle for the title this season. (I think last season’s results and G/P’s performances kind of obscured that they handily won the bronze the year before with a 130.98 FD score).

Debbie S

87.23 for G/Poirier is still a bit shy of C/B’s personal best in the RD, but G/P have the higher personal best FD score from 2021 Worlds. I hope for a fierce battle for the title this season. (I think last season’s results and G/P’s performances kind of obscured that they handily won the bronze the year before with a 130.98 FD score).
We'll see what politiks appear to be in place this season. In a pre-Oly year (2021), the politiks are always....interesting. Last year, G/P basically got dumped so SC may be working on a reversal/make-up.

Previous PBs may not mean a whole lot since the top 3 teams from last year (Olys) are not around this year.

angi

This RD event at Skate Canada was so much stronger than last week, and so much fun. Sharing some random thoughts:
Gilles/Poirier: Not a fan of Piper and Paul's RD, sucks that they too chose the "let's take regular music and stick a Latin beat to it" approach. They were still top of their class here, and while there was noticeable Canadian inflation to their score (similar to last year), they are still top contenders for the world title (along with C/B and G/F).
Green/Parsons: looked so much better here, everything looked sharper and more comfortable and the RD is growing on me. They are back to being the top option for US #3.
Lajoie/Lagha: were the best for me at the event. Their speed, ice coverage, and choreography are the best of the bunch to me, and their interpretation was spot on. They opened the door to Green/Parsons with the stumble and the extended lift deduction, but with only 0.19 between them and Gr/Pa it's going to be a tight race for bronze.
Fear/Gibson: naturally strong entertainers, but their skating is improving too slowly. Score is way too high.
Harris/Chan: Show a lot of promise but are still not at a level that allows them to do back-to-back events, their RD last week was much stronger.
Lauriault/LeGac: Had the highest BV of the day, and are improving pretty fast. Unlike H/C they strived doing back-to-back events and looked strong here. The Canadian dance field is getting to be pretty impressive.
KoKo: Also looked much improved here compared to the start of the season. Unlike many others I find them to be mostly on par with KanaDai, but KanaDai have the story and Dai's old fandom to help them so it will be their season.
Unfortunately, the stream had no sound for the first two teams.

I wonder if the next big rivalry we are going to see once the top teams retire is Lajoie/Lagha vs. Green/Parsons, but if we are those are two very good teams.

firstflight

And the rematch of G/Parsons and L/Lagha: tight margin after the RD like at last year’s Skate Canada. L/L have the PCS edge this time. The FD at last year’s event was really where they separated with G/P way outscoring L/L, so I’m curious to see if it will still be tight this year after the FD. Or perhaps L/L will clearly overtake them early this season.

Last edited:

litenkyckling

I know others don’t care for it, but I think Cha Cha Slide is an inspired choice for L/L. It’s just fun, brings back good memories of happy times, and fits them in particular so well.
I also think it's great in front of an audience - they were so into it!

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
And the rematch of G/Parsons and L/L: tight margin after the RD like at last year’s Skate Canada. L/L have the PCS edge this time. The FD at last year’s event was really where they separated with G/P way outscoring L/L, so I’m curious to see if it will still be tight this year after the FD. Or perhaps L/L will clearly overtake them early this season.
You realize there are two L&Ls here.

Lara111

This RD event at Skate Canada was so much stronger than last week, and so much fun. Sharing some random thoughts:
Gilles/Poirier: Not a fan of Piper and Paul's RD, sucks that they too chose the "let's take regular music and stick a Latin beat to it" approach. They were still top of their class here, and while there was noticeable Canadian inflation to their score (similar to last year), they are still top contenders for the world title (along with C/B and G/F).
Green/Parsons: looked so much better here, everything looked sharper and more comfortable and the RD is growing on me. They are back to being the top option for US #3.
Lajoie/Lagha: were the best for me at the event. Their speed, ice coverage, and choreography are the best of the bunch to me, and their interpretation was spot on. They opened the door to Green/Parsons with the stumble and the extended lift deduction, but with only 0.19 between them and Gr/Pa it's going to be a tight race for bronze.
Fear/Gibson: naturally strong entertainers, but their skating is improving too slowly. Score is way too high.
Harris/Chan: Show a lot of promise but are still not at a level that allows them to do back-to-back events, their RD last week was much stronger.
Lauriault/LeGac: Had the highest BV of the day, and are improving pretty fast. Unlike H/C they strived doing back-to-back events and looked strong here. The Canadian dance field is getting to be pretty impressive.
KoKo: Also looked much improved here compared to the start of the season. Unlike many others I find them to be mostly on par with KanaDai, but KanaDai have the story and Dai's old fandom to help them so it will be their season.

I wonder if the next big rivalry we are going to see once the top teams retire is Lajoie/Lagha vs. Green/Parsons, but if we are those are two very good teams.
This event was really good. I am G/P fan but this RD is boring and very generic. This lift labored and unnecessary-oh. L/L all the way.

Last edited:

Bouffantrex

Banned Member
Chock/Bates aren't much younger. In fact, Evan is the same age as Charlene (actually he's older by half a year), who is only over a year younger than Marco. Madison is only three years younger than Evan and is thirty-years-old.
Guignard/Fabri's glacial rise in the World rankings must have distorted my perception. I don't care much for their skating but do respect the tenacity.

It’s not speculative that they took less time to prepare. They told us that before the competition was even held, hence why they didn’t do a Challenger.
Sure, but others in this thread speculated illness due to a scratchy voice, or lack of motivation from a facial expression.

miffy

Bad Brit
Staff member
I feel like Olivia could be a real star if more people knew who she was - she’s already got great personal style so I can see this being her opening to whatever she wants in the UK whether it be influencing, TV whatever she wants.
Apparently she has said she isn’t retiring and plans to compete in the future… maybe she is coming back to skate for GB, or is that wishful thinking? :confused:

yeslek

Skate Canada always has so much score inflation for dance. It’s very odd.

On My Own

Gilles' performance and dancing is waaaaaaaay too overcooked and I wish she'd stop. The first half of the RD and the rotational lift are decent choreography I guess, not very sure it's all really capturing the music tbh.

Even Diana Davis and Daisuke Takahashi have better skating skills than Lilah Fear. Amazing. Cringe RD from Fear/Gibson, sorry.

Last edited:

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
L/LG are the revelation of the beginning of this GP for me. Both programs hit the mark and they are performing well outside of what I expected of them. I prefer their RD to L/L who also did a very good performance minus the small trip. But I find L/LG partnership more balanced and mature in their presentation.
G/P's RD does nothing for me. It was well skated but nothing stood out apart from his sleeveless outfit.
Canada does have quite an exciting battle ahead with 4 teams performing well at the start of the season.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
L/LG are the revelation of the beginning of this GP for me. Both programs hit the mark and they are performing well outside of what I expected of them. I prefer their RD to L/L who also did a very good performance minus the small trip. But I find L/LG partnership more balanced and mature in their presentation.

I think maturity is the key thing here that L & LG have over the other two teams. Their programs particularly the FD are really coherent and well expressed. I was a big fan of theirs when they skated for France and I feared after their last season for France they'd just disappear. It is so great to see them come back and be skating so well.

L & L still skate young. I think its good that they have tried a more mature FD but they just are not there yet. I'm wild about them because I love Marjorie and her big smiles, but I expect more from them down the road than this year.

I really want to see Green & Parsons regain the momentum they had early last year. I think they each are very talented but they are still gelling as a team and Caroline is still quite young. So for this season or maybe just this competition L&LG may have the edge.

chantilly

Gilles' performance and dancing is waaaaaaaay too overcooked and I wish she'd stop. The first half of the RD and the rotational lift are decent choreography I guess, not very sure it's all really capturing the music tbh.

Even Diana Davis and Daisuke Takahashi have better skating skills than Lilah Fear. Amazing. Cringe RD from Fear/Gibson, sorry.
To your entire post: Nope sorry

On My Own

I watched Lajoie/Lagha, I liked them. Don't think the choreography is the phenomenon someone made it out to be? But they were nice. I don't think I will get used to Lagha's performance style - it worked with Moir, it doesn't with him, for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information