All Thing PBS

topaz

I just finished watching the last episode of The Vietnam War. I also grew up in the 60s-70s. Even though I couldn't look away all week, I still found it really painful to watch. All those lives lost. The clarity of the depth of the lying by the government leaders. The suffering of the POWs. By the time they showed the My Lai Massacre & Kent State in the same episode it was almost too much. What a history lesson.
I thought the series was excellent. I cried like a baby. So much destruction and waste. I posted in another thread. I will never forget the stories of Denton "mogie" Crocker, his family, Roger Harris, Vincent Sakamoto, John Musgrave, Matt Harrison, Tim O Brien, all the Vietnamese soldiers who's stories really broke my heart.

vesperholly

I just finished watching the last episode of The Vietnam War. I also grew up in the 60s-70s. Even though I couldn't look away all week, I still found it really painful to watch. All those lives lost. The clarity of the depth of the lying by the government leaders. The suffering of the POWs. By the time they showed the My Lai Massacre & Kent State in the same episode it was almost too much. What a history lesson.
Do you recall which episode Kent State is in? I'm not particularly interested in the whole series but KSU is my alma mater.

Lizziebeth

Finally the PBS schedule gets going. I had no idea that "Last Tango in Halifax" would be back! Or, the Durrells in Corfu - also good news to me.

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
Do you recall which episode Kent State is in? I'm not particularly interested in the whole series but KSU is my alma mater.
I'm pretty sure it is episode #8, & it's toward the end of the episode. I saw an interview with Ken Burns & he said it contains film footage taken by the brother of a student that has not been publicly shown before. Kent State is one of the events I have researched over the years & the film sequences they used were very clear compared to many I've seen.

Susan1

I looked at the episode guide for the years. It's Episode 8, which is April '69 through May '70. I knew they would have to play Ohio by CSN&Y, which they did while the credits were rolling.

My friend who lived across the street's oldest sister was there. She was not at the demonstration though! Their dad went up and got her and brought her home. I was too young to know what was going on. It started getting to me when I was older.

maureenfarone

Kent State is in Kent OH which is about 40 miles southeast of Cleveland.

Whoops! I read your post as what state is kent in....not what episode...sorry!

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
PBS' annual Memorial Day Concert is airing live (Eastern time) on PBS: http://www.pbs.org/national-memorial-day-concert/home/
ETA: I really enjoyed watching this concert this year... many moving moments by the actors, singers, speakers, etc.

@Cachoo, what did you think of Little Women? Re-posting from the 2018 TV thread:
Episode 1 (first hour, aired 5/13/2018) is available to watch online until 5/27/2018 @ 11:55 PM ET: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/episodes/little-women-e1/

Episodes 2 & 3 air back-to-back tonight, May 20 (ETA) and both can be watched online until 6/3/2018 @ 11:55 PM ET: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/shows/little-women/episodes
LOVED this adaptation. :encore:

Special Features: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/shows/little-women/specialfeatures

Jo is played by Maya Hawke, the daughter of actors Uma Thurman and Ethan Hawke and this is her first on-screen role: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece...ing-facts-about-little-women-star-maya-hawke/

It's fun to hear Dumbledore's voice in the role of Mr. Laurence. ;)

Last edited:

Peaches LaTour

I've been waiting for Season 3 of "Home Fires" only to recently find out the series was cancelled!

One of those shows where "They pulled the plug" on a cliffhanger ending.

I know there will eventually be books but it won't be the same. :mad:

4skating

It's baaack! The Great British Baking Show, season 3 in the UK, I think, is finally back on the PBS schedule. Some stations aired the first two episodes last night. We're getting it here on Saturday, which was its regular spot for the other three seasons.

I forgot how happy this show makes me feel. Hungry, too.

A.H.Black

There was a version, on Masterpiece Theatre many years ago, which was better, IMO.
I fell asleep in the middle of the first episode; that’s how little it impressed me. I’ll stick with the book and the version referenced by @skatesindreams.
I liked the old version too, but I admit I don't remember it too clearly.

I was sort of weirded out by the first episode, but the second was much better. I like seeing Art Malik as the "detective"? I'm looking forward to seeing more of him in future episodes. As much as I like Charles Dance, he was the weirdest part - on purpose, I'm sure.

mjb52

I liked the old version too, but I admit I don't remember it too clearly.

I was sort of weirded out by the first episode, but the second was much better. I like seeing Art Malik as the "detective"? I'm looking forward to seeing more of him in future episodes. As much as I like Charles Dance, he was the weirdest part - on purpose, I'm sure.

I've only seen episode one but I thought Charles Dance was absolutely hilarious. He must have had so much fun. For me, I thought they sort of spelled out things that the audience could have figured out themselves with some of the WhY aRe tHiNgS sO uNFaIr to WoMeN lines. But my friends who are watching didn't mind as much so maybe I'm just being grumpy. It's a pretty over the top book so maybe highlighting its themes in dialogue just adds to the melodrama.

I thought the actress who plays Marian did a great job. Laura is a more thankless role in that no matter how much they tried to spice her up a bit she is a bit of a traditional heroine (I think? It's been a while since I read the book) but I think the actress did about as much as you can. The male lead (Walter?) started out seeming a bit too youthful and cupid-like looking but he really grew on me by the end. Seriously though - does he not look just like a cupid in some renaissance painting? It's sort of eerie.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
I liked the new Woman in White better than any other adaptation I've ever seen of it (despite Walter's baby face!). And a lot of the "alas for women!" stuff was straight out of the book, IIRC.

Although now that I think of it,
this one's ending was a little more feminist than that of the book. There was nothing in the book about Marian becoming an explorer.

Last edited:

Japanfan

I've been waiting for Season 3 of "Home Fires" only to recently find out the series was cancelled!

One of those shows where "They pulled the plug" on a cliffhanger ending.

I know there will eventually be books but it won't be the same. :mad:

That was such a good series. I was so disappointed it when it was canceled.

The series is based on the book 'Jambusters' by Julie Summers.

Japanfan

Dangit! They killed Nancy Skerrett! :wuzrobbed:wuzrobbed:wuzrobbed
Small comfort of the show - JOhn Snow.

That should have been put in *SPOILER*. Not everyone watches the show right when it aired.

Please remember for next time. I didn't need that information prior to watching the episode.

maureenfarone

I'll look forward to that.

Check Amazon:
Keep the Home Fires Burning: A heartwarming wartime saga: Volumes 1-4 (Keep the Home Fires Burning series)
There is another book coming out in November 2019 which continues the story. I read the first 4 as kindle singles but now you can get all 4 volumes together. The first 4 volumes are also available as a paperback. All of these were written by S. Block.

I loved these books and could visualize the characters easily from the series. Highly recommend!

cygnus

Yup, did not see that coming. I loved her character.

I have a hard time with the inaccuracies in this show, but I'm more or less enjoying it. I hate what they have done with Feodore, though, who was nothing like she is being portrayed. At the time of the show (roughly 1848 now) she had a passel of kids in Germany (the youngest being about 9) and she was not hanging around Victoria's court scheming. There is no evidence her marriage was unhappy, either. But there must be drama.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information