Vaytsekhovskaya's interview with Kovtun

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
Elena Vaytsekhovskaya's interview with Maksim Kovtun for ria.ru

EV: 2.5 years ago I spoke to your coach Elena Buyanova not yet knowing that you'll leave her group at the end of the season. She said `I know for sure that in a year or two Maks will start understanding a lot of things he refuses to understand now'. I.e. your coach was right, since you came back after working with Inna Goncharenko in TSKA and for a couple of months with her in Pluschenko's academy. Why all these switches?
MK: It's not much for the switches. After Inna Germanovna left to Pluschenko's academy this January I just followed her. At that point I had no choice. I.e. I was not in a position to choose. I never took sport as business, but at that point I was thinking very simply: perhaps I still have a chance. And if I do - why not grab it? For that I needed people who would give me all I needed for the result.

EV: Why did you have to leave Buyanova? To come back with the tail between your legs?
MK: Not long before I made a decision to switch to Goncharenko deep down I understood Buyanova and I need to discuss a lot of things. But I was too proud and stubborn, there were things I thought Elena Germanovna should had noticed and she haven't, I started feeling she was not interested in me. Now, when the time passed those things became obvious. I think I matured a lot and Elena Germanovna treats me differently. At any rate, I love our current relationships and work.

EV: As far as I know you parted with Gonchanrenko in good terms. What about Pluschenko?
MK: Zhenya and I had a business like calm conversation. I am really grateful for his support at the moment I was close to giving up and retiring from the sports, when I did not believe someone would drag me back. Pluschenko understood my mood, my will to be successful, to show the maximum I can, which, frankly, I never had despite some pretty good skates. As for the switch, I would say it was a business conversation with not many emotions. There were a lot of reasons that pushed me towards that step.

EV: What was the flip in your head that made you think that's it! I have to come back?
MK: You put it right - the flip. And wham! The picture was clear. I understood I was not in the right place and it's not in my character wasting time on too much thinking. 10 minutes later I was acting.

EV: Weren't you afraid you'll come to the coach and she will not accept you in her group?
MK: It happened that Elena Germanovna agreed and only then I realized she didn't have to. There were more reasons to decline than to agree. I don't know why when going to talk to her the thought Buyanova might not accept me haven't even crossed my mind. Perhaps it's our fate? But am glad it worked out. Think our collaboration is more colourful than it was before.

EV: What have changed in your relationship?
MK: A lot have changed because I have changed. I take the work differently. When I first joined Buyanova's group in 2012 I was thinking `ok, so I'll skate for a while, then retire and will find a good job and all will be great'. Then when life put me a bit down to the earth I started understanding not everything was so simple. That I have to fight for my place all the time. For example there are working moments that a while ago would just make me leave the practice. Or I would think Elena Germanovna used a wrong tone speaking to me, or I would just get offended, blow off and say whatever to the coach, would stop doing the elements. Now I just let it go through. It's so not important. I would not allow the work to be interrupted just because I have a bad mood - it's not an option. Guess am more mature. The coach treats me like an adult. Most importantly - we understand each other. I think you have noticed it.

EV: Do you already have a feeling during your practices you are moving forward or you are still recovering the condition you used to have?
MK: I can tell never in my life I have been in such a shape I am now.

EV: In what way? The higher jumps? Better endurance or something else?
MK: I don't really want to talk about certain technical details, but for me it's very important I hardly make mistakes in my skating. I learned to create a discomfort and deal with it. I need it to become better, to come to any competition and skate in whatever state as if it was nothing.

EV: Did you have any ideas about the future programmes when you came back to Buyanova?
MK: No, we choreographed both programmes from the scratch with Peter Tchernyshev. He offered the music for the PS - an easy American style, jazzy. Nat King Cole's "L-O-V-E" and Sing, Sing, Sing. As for the LP - it's Schedrin's Carmen. It turned out interesting. At least no one who have seen it live stayed untouched.

EV: Can you explain me what makes Carmen so attractive for the skaters? It sometimes seems there is not a single skater who haven't dreamed or skated the Carmen.
MK: Well, it is my first time. I don't know what is so attractive, can't explain it. I haven't noticed that music for long. Guess that's why I didn't know it was so overused.

EV: I.e. it's your choice?
MK: It just happened that I was working with Tchernyshev on the ice, it was a middle of the night. At some point we stopped and I asked Peter whether he remembers Pluschenko's programme from 2002 and is it possible to use that music or are there some kind of limitations. For some reason I had an impression no one used that version of Carmen since the SLC Olympics. But, of course, I couldn't check it in the middle of the night from the ice.
Peter took some time to think and said he cant' remember that particular piece either, but he is willing to try. Just to be sure we called Tarasova, who was in the USA. Tatiana Anatolievna answered immediately, I was even surprised how fast she was. I started telling her how much I like the music, that am willing to listen to it in the loops but am not sure whether I should skate to it. She replied `Kid, I was choreographing to my ice dancers with that music. Take it and don't hesitate, am all for it'.
Elena Germanovna, when learned of our choice was interested as well. It suddenly became interesting for all. Everyone thought the `Carmen' was a good idea, so we started working... interestingly, we tried so many musical pieces before and nothing worked. `Carmen' worked on the spot. You know how it is sometimes - you glide and do some moves and it just works perfectly. Am very satisfied with my programmes this season. I love the job we have done.

EV: What have changed technically in your programmes?
MK: The programmes are harder, but we were mainly focused not on the level, but on the quality of the elements, on performing them with no mistakes. It's an important issue with the new rules. Together with the good programmes I think it will work out fine.

EV: You lost a lot of weight, or does it seem to me?
MK: For a while I have been eating right. I gained about 15kg which I had to get rid of when I returned to the sports. I was quite fat. Frankly, it was a hard thing to do.

EV: Who helped you with the diet?
MK: A friend from Cheliabinsk. He is a certified fitness coach, coaching boxing and makes eating programmes for his athletes. I like how he works. He made a full list for me for every day, which products I have to eat and which vitamins I would digest. I do exactly what he says. I don't hunger myself, there is just no redundant food. Every time I finish the meal feeling slightly hungry and feel just fine a couple of minutes later. It's not as if I were only chewing the salad leaves and was suffering all the time. Just that if someone uses souse with their meat I eat it plain. I can eat some grains with mushrooms, a fish steak, vegetables and if am still hungry I can always put an avocado in my rice. A bug mug of tea. I feel great. Much better than after a day I allow myself to eat whatever.

EV: I.e. it's something negative?
MK: Well, yeah. When you always eat right you have an urge to eat something horrible like fastfood. I always feel bad after. I.e. I was able to feel the difference and like the way I live now - simply and without redundant things.

EV: Did you have to regrow your muscles?
MK: Absolutely. From the scratch. Not only the muscles but some other things as well.

EV: How did you endure it?
MK: I already partly answered. I changed and rethought a lot of things. There are many things that push me forward now. It's like an endless source of fuel. I hope they will continue pushing me till I walk this road till the end. Of course not everything works, sometimes the muscles pain is bad, but even then I constantly think that with every defeat I move forward. Am sure it should work in the end.

EV: Is it important for you who will you look at the beginning of the autumn on the ice? Or the goal is the competition in December and the main competitions?
MK: Of course I would love to look good from the beginning. I don't have any GP events and am in a position when any competition is a preparation to the Nationals in December. It's the main competition for me this year. There will be some inner Russian competitions like Russian cup, perhaps some B series. May be Finlandia Trophy. But the goals are different and they are not set for a season or two. It's a strategy for the next 4 years. Its' not that I need a result here and now. Everything at its' time.

EV: But there is a simple practical side: the GP events are a good way to earn some money. How bad is it for you to miss it?
MK: You know how Tatiana Tarasova loves to repeat a phrase: `you just work kiddo, the money will come'. So I try to keep it that way. I do have a place to live, a place to train, and that's the main thing. The main thing now is reaching my goals. The rest will come. As for the GP I wasn't counting on them.

EV: You realized you would not get any?
MK: Well, why would I? For about 1.5 years I didn't really compete. Starting training after such a break is hard. Just the fact am skating and not skating badly is an achievement.

EV: Are you sorry about anything you have done in the last 4 years?
MK: Not at all. I recall how you came to the practice sometime back and then told me over the coffee that things are just right for me now for the result. It's true: am young enough to skate for many years, I have a coach with whom we have a good understanding, there are people who are willing to help me professionally and, most importantly, the understanding what am I doing on the ice and why came. Guess what lead me here is what happened to me previously, even the mistakes. It all gave the fruits. So I have nothing to be sorry about

Kasey

Fan of many, uber of none
I don't have a soft spot for Kovtun, but he sounds a bit more mature in this interview, and was honest even when it didn't make him sound good. The interviewer pulled no punches! I like that frankness, on both sides. Thank you as always for the translation TaHbka.

Dave of the North

Digging up dead relatives since 1992
Thanks for the translation!
Elena Vaytsekhovskaya's interview with Maksim Kovtun for ria.ru

EV: Did you have any ideas about the future programmes when you came back to Buyanova?
MK: No, we choreographed both programmes from the scratch with Peter Tchernyshev. He offered the music for the PS - an easy American style, jazzy. Nat King Cole's "L-O-V-E" and Sing, Sing, Sing. As for the LP - it's Schedrin's Carmen. It turned out interesting. At least no one who have seen it live stayed untouched.

Omigawd, he's gonna skate for Canada!
;)

Lovemyvike

Thanks for the translation. I have a real soft spot for Kovtun and hope this works out for him.

ME TOO! He's been posting bits and pieces of his training on social media and seems a lot more focused and serious. Hope it's a great season for him. Feel like he's taking a page from the Mirai Nagasu book...

Also, if a spot for Russian Men open up in one of the GP events, is there a possibility he'd be invited?

Tavi

He really seems to have matured and I wish him the best. I liked his programs last year - they showed his potential to do more than jump. It’s been hard to watch him keep falling apart in competition, and I hope he is able to overcome that and make it back to international competition.

zebraswan

Also, if a spot for Russian Men open up in one of the GP events, is there a possibility he'd be invited?

No, he doesn't qualify. He withdrew from every competition last season. There is no "spot for Russian men" anyway...that's not how it works.

I'm definitely not a fan, but he should have just kept the programs he had last season instead of going with 2 of the most tired warhorses ever...ugh. He never even skated the Pink Floyd program in competition.

hanca

Values her privacy
No, he doesn't qualify. He withdrew from every competition last season. There is no "spot for Russian men" anyway...that's not how it works.

I'm definitely not a fan, but he should have just kept the programs he had last season instead of going with 2 of the most tired warhorses ever...ugh. He never even skated the Pink Floyd program in competition.
If hw worked on something for a year, he may feel sick and tired of listening to it again and again. Even if he didn’t compete with it.

Tinami Amori

I am not his fan either, and the only programme i ever liked of his was Bahamut/Modine programme for music and choreography. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqnPr470bhc

He may surprise everyone and do well, but i am not holding my breath, he seems to have been having "more fun time" than practicing, according to his social media.

Lovemyvike

Maybe I'm not understanding how it works, but if a Russian man has to withdraw from one of the Grand Prix events, isn't there a list of alternates from that country to replace him? I don't doubt Kovtun would be at the bottom, given that he hasn't completed a completion in almost 2 seasons, but wouldn't he be on it somewhere?

hanca

Values her privacy
Maybe I'm not understanding how it works, but if a Russian man has to withdraw from one of the Grand Prix events, isn't there a list of alternates from that country to replace him? I don't doubt Kovtun would be at the bottom, given that he hasn't completed a completion in almost 2 seasons, but wouldn't he be on it somewhere?
If the Russian man withdrew from their host spot from the Russian event, he would be replaced by any Russian man. But if the Russian man withdrew from any other spot, he would be replaced by any man on the list of alternates, regardless of his nationality, so most likely by non -Russian man.

I think you are mixing junior and senior GP events. JGP events have a certain number of spots per country. The skating federation of each country can decide whom they are going to send. They can swap the skaters around anyway they want to, even up to the point of draw at the competition. GP events are not allocated per country. The skaters get their events based on their results. They are invited by the hosting country, so the hosting country has certain degree of choice of whom they want to invite. There are some rules regarding who is eligible for two spots and who for at least one spot. But if any skater withdraws, there is no guarantee that the host country will invite a replacement from the same country as the skater who withdrew. But there is the rule that there can’t be more than three skaters/pairs/couples from the same country in each event, so that makes it a total limit of spots per country 18.

Last edited:

Lovemyvike

If the Russian man withdrew from their host spot from the Russian event, he would be replaced by any Russian man. But if the Russian man withdrew from any other spot, he would be replaced by any man on the list of alternates, regardless of his nationality, so most likely by non -Russian man.

I think you are mixing junior and senior GP events. JGP events have a certain number of spots per country. The skating federation of each country can decide whom they are going to send. They can swap the skaters around anyway they want to, even up to the point of draw at the competition. GP events are not allocated per country. The skaters get their events based on their results. They are invited by the hosting country, so the hosting country has certain degree of choice of whom they want to invite. There are some rules regarding who is eligible for two spots and who for at least one spot. But if any skater withdraws, there is no guarantee that the host country will invite a replacement from the same country as the skater who withdrew. But there is the rule that there can’t be more than three skaters/pairs/couples from the same country in each event, so that makes it a total limit of spots per country 18.

Thanks so much for clarifying! I was mixing them up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information