U.S. Ice Dance 2017/18 season news & updates

Dobre

Sylvia

TBD
^^^ Both links work for me.

IFS article on Anthony Ponomarenko (with partner Christina Carreira): https://www.ifsmagazine.com/ponomarenko-continuing-a-family-tradition/
Despite the comparisons, Klimova and Ponomarenko have made it clear that there is no expectation for Anthony to replicate their achievements. “It is a different sport now — you cannot compare,” Ponomarenko said. “When I talk with him about skating, there is no pressure,” Klimova added. “I tell him never to compare his skating to ours or anybody else’s. I always encourage him to find his own way, and to represent himself in the best way he can.”
That approach has benefited Anthony and Carreira. “My parents encourage me to be successful, but I don’t feel pressure to replicate what they did,” he said. “I am only a junior skater and not at their level. I want to have a good skating career that is based on my own achievements, and that’s what my parents encourage me to do. I just focus on my own skating. I need to climb the ladder at my own pace, and my journey will be different
 from theirs.”

Jammers

I see Anthony Ponomarenko becoming the next big male Ice Dancer in the near future. He is already very good and he's only 16. :eek:

Dobre

I see Anthony Ponomarenko becoming the next big male Ice Dancer in the near future. He is already very good and he's only 16. :eek:

Out of curiosity, Jammers, have you seen them skate live?

I can tell you he is quite polite. He and Christina were up in the stands after their skate at Nationals, and he was patiently waiting for the flood of audience members to head up the stairs before coming down to talk to his mother. C&P are not as fast as the Parsons or McNamara & Carpenter yet, but I was impressed by how much they improved the proximity of their skating throughout last season. Looking forward to seeing all the juniors' new programs!

Sylvia

TBD
Back in May, Pogrebinsky/Benoit wrote on Instagram that their free dance "is comprised of an existing contemporary rock blues along with an original composition created just for us": https://www.instagram.com/p/BULspWzhczE/
They've shared a short clip (sounds like Annie Lennox's "I Put A Spell On You"): https://www.instagram.com/p/BWeg6hih8iD/?taken-by=pogrebinsky_benoit

They also revealed their SD music ("Baddest Girl in Town" + "Lo So Che Finera" + "Bailar") in early May: https://www.facebook.com/PogrebinskyBenoit/videos/1602438666445199/

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
I thought the Kiss & Cry section was still open to all; guess not. The answer is no, we don't have a published list of international or regular competitors at this time. Last year we had to wait for Ice-Dance.com to post photos on their FB after the international draw.

Last edited:

jmtfti

This is strange -- I was able to access your link while not logged in, but now that I am, the K&C is locked for me.

Lara111

Anybody understand the reason for two Ice Dance events at the same venue and time at Lake Placid? Why do they hold domestic and International event separately?

gkelly

The summer ice dance competition at Lake Placid has been around for many decades. It's a full-service ice dance competition with pattern dance, free dance, and short dance competitions at all relevant levels, plus some pattern dances that are open to skaters regardless of test level, as well as solo dance and shadow dance.

http://www.skatingcluboflakeplacid....he-history-of-the-skating-club-of-lake-placid
http://www.lakeplacidskating.com/events/IDC/IDC17 Announcement.pdf

When the US also wanted to host an international summer competition for ice dance, it made more sense to hold it in conjunction with an existing major dance competition that would already have lots of dance officials and volunteers and equipment present in an appropriate venue. Much more efficient than gathering all those people and equipment in a separate location and/or on a separate date for just a few hours worth of competition.

Dobre

Thank you! Link does not work for me - may be just some sort of access restriction?

McNamara & Carpenter
The Parsons
Pogrebinsky & Benoit

All have posted that they will be there. (Though not necessarily in the same event).

Lara111

The summer ice dance competition at Lake Placid has been around for many decades. It's a full-service ice dance competition with pattern dance, free dance, and short dance competitions at all relevant levels, plus some pattern dances that are open to skaters regardless of test level, as well as solo dance and shadow dance.

http://www.skatingcluboflakeplacid....he-history-of-the-skating-club-of-lake-placid
http://www.lakeplacidskating.com/events/IDC/IDC17 Announcement.pdf

When the US also wanted to host an international summer competition for ice dance, it made more sense to hold it in conjunction with an existing major dance competition that would already have lots of dance officials and volunteers and equipment present in an appropriate venue. Much more efficient than gathering all those people and equipment in a separate location and/or on a separate date for just a few hours worth of competition.
Just seems like one event - International would make much more sense.

Dobre

They will be all in one event - very interesting

They will all be at Lake Placid. But it's possible they will be split between the domestic & international competitions. McNamara & Carpenter and the Parsons usually do separate events here. But I am rooting for both in the international competition because they both need the senior international scores. (And because it would be fun).

Pogrebinsky & Benoit are signed up for the international event.

gkelly

Just seems like one event - International would make much more sense.

Are you saying that the whole historic Lake Placid Ice Dance Championships that serves hundreds of partnered and solo ice dancers at all levels and has done so since the 1930s should be canceled, in favor of holding a senior (and junior) international event only and tough luck on all the other ice dancers who already have so few opportunities to compete in nonqualifying competitions and always looked forward to Lake Placid as the big nonqual event of the season?

That the lower level and solo events should stay as is but there should only one senior event, and only one junior event, that other federations can send international level skaters to and any US (or Canadian?) team that meets the minimum requirements to enter a senior or junior level club competition can also enter just by paying the entry fees?
Is this a combined event consisting of Short Dance and Free Dance, so teams that used to enter only one or the other no longer have that option?

Lara111

Are you saying that the whole historic Lake Placid Ice Dance Championships that serves hundreds of partnered and solo ice dancers at all levels and has done so since the 1930s should be canceled, in favor of holding a senior (and junior) international event only and tough luck on all the other ice dancers who already have so few opportunities to compete in nonqualifying competitions and always looked forward to Lake Placid as the big nonqual event of the season?

That the lower level and solo events should stay as is but there should only one senior event, and only one junior event, that other federations can send international level skaters to and any US (or Canadian?) team that meets the minimum requirements to enter a senior or junior level club competition can also enter just by paying the entry fees?
Is this a combined event consisting of Short Dance and Free Dance, so teams that used to enter only one or the other no longer have that option?
I just mean two Senior, Junior and Novice events do not make sense. I think it should be one competition international or not and all should be qualified to enter. Requirement for qualifying score this early in the season does not make sense to me.

Dobre

They will be all in one event - very interesting

OK, there's a list of the athletes signed up for the Lake Placid international portion of the event in the Kiss & Cry now.

From the U.S.:

The Parsons
McNamara & Carpenter
Pogrebinsky & Benoit
Biechler & Dodge
Manta & Johnson

All are signed up for the same event.

Here we go. Essentially every dance team in the running for the SA host spot. (Though P&B already have 2 GPs).

One could say the battle for 4CCs begins here;).

Sylvia

TBD
For those who don't have access to the Kiss & Cry section (where the 2 sets of entries now are copied out), I've posted the event links for the Lake Placid International and regular dance club competition in the Dance general discussion thread here: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...king-rhumba-magic.101001/page-17#post-5099475

Direct link to the regular LPIDC club competition entries (Junior and below, solo, shadow, open events) published today: http://www.lakeplacidskating.com/events/IDC/IDC17 Event Groups 7.20.pdf

Last edited:

Lara111

Does anybody know if there is going to be a live stream of Lake Placid ice dance and/or international event?

Jun Y

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...c59682-6b26-11e7-96ab-5f38140b38cc_story.html

The Parsonses had great success with their program last year, but they are switching it up this year, skating their free dance to South American music, based on the contemporary ballet “Ghost Dances.” McNamara and Carpenter are going with an Argentine tango, with Carpenter in a dapper suit jacket and McNamara in a sparkling black ensemble."

Obviously I'm not expecting anything like the Gilles/Poirier FD last season, but at least it's not another lyrical romantic rhythmless piece.

The Parsonses are trying on the way of Duchesnays I guess.

clairecloutier

^^ Thank you for the article. I can't believe Lorraine /Quinn have been together since she was 6?? Wow. They must have really compatible personalities, to have lasted that long (and especially while growing up). They remind me of Meryl/Charlie in some ways; maybe that's one of them.

Both teams' free dance music choices sound interesting!

Dobre

^^ Thank you for the article. I can't believe Lorraine /Quinn have been together since she was 6?? Wow. They must have really compatible personalities, to have lasted that long (and especially while growing up). They remind me of Meryl/Charlie in some ways; maybe that's one of them.

I have no idea what Lorraine & Quinn are like in person; but the sense I get when they do interviews is that they are both introverted. It's funny because Lorraine is 100% the extrovert on the ice, but when you see them in the K&C, it's as if they are almost afraid to react. In their interviews, they come off as very shy to me. Maybe it's just in front of the camera; but it's always a surprise after I watch them sell a performance to the hilt.

I so want to see Lake Placid! Thank you to anyone in advance who has the chance to go and share details.

Lara111

I have no idea what Lorraine & Quinn are like in person; but the sense I get when they do interviews is that they are both introverted. It's funny because Lorraine is 100% the extrovert on the ice, but when you see them in the K&C, it's as if they are almost afraid to react. In their interviews, they come off as very shy to me. Maybe it's just in front of the camera; but it's always a surprise after I watch them sell a performance to the hilt.

I so want to see Lake Placid! Thank you to anyone in advance who has the chance to go and share details.

There will be livestreaming of Lake Placid this year again!

CassAgain

Both teams' free dance music choices sound interesting!

The first time I saw Lorraine and Quinn was their zombie SD, and my first impression was baby Meryl and Charlie. Excited to see their Argentine tango. I thought their expression for their Carmen FD was really effective, and this should be a great vehicle for them.

Good choice for the Parsons, too. Hope both teams have a smooth transition to seniors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information