Thoroughbred Racing 2017

skipaway

Thought I'd start a generic thread for all things Thoroughbred in 2017.

First post is in honor of the impressive Arrogate who just pulled off an amazing victory in the Dubai World Cup. After missing the break and getting banged off stride, he was behind early and then made a sublime run to win it all. What an awesome jockey Mike Smith is.
Oh btw, US runners went 1 2 3.

Arrogate's Victory

skipaway

Kentucky Derby 2017 is this weekend. A very complex field, as there doesn't seem to be a clear favorite. I like Irish War Cry mainly b/c I adore Graham Motion, his trainer.
Baffert has no horses this year which is shocking and Pletcher has at least 4 that I know of including the horse named Patch who lost an eye early on in life.
Patch

Sylvia

TBD
NBC's Triple Crown TV broadcast coverage press release: http://nbcsportsgrouppressbox.com/2...ghting-nbc-sports-groups-derby-week-coverage/

NBC SPORTS GROUP TRIPLE CROWN COVERAGE (All Times ET):

KENTUCKY DERBY
Sat., May 6 Noon Kentucky Derby Prep NBCSN
Sat., May 6 2:30 p.m. Kentucky Derby NBC

PREAKNESS STAKES
Fri., May 19 3 p.m. Black Eyed Susan Stakes NBCSN
Sat., May 20 2:30 p.m. Preakness Prep NBCSN
Sat., May 20 5 p.m. Preakness Stakes NBC

BELMONT STAKES
Fri., June 9 5 p.m. Belmont Stakes Access NBCSN
Sat., June 10 3 p.m. Belmont Stakes Prep NBCSN
Sat., June 10 5 p.m. Belmont Stakes NBC

sk8pics

Buffet's horse won the Oaks yesterday, so it's not like he was left out in the cold all weekend.

I am sort of rooting for Patch, just because I think that would be so cool, but I think he is overmatched. I'm also sort of rooting for Gormley, because of his connections. But really I guess I am hoping a horse with a legitimate shot at the Triple Crown wins today. We'll soon see.

ilovepaydays

Harry Connick, Jr. is singing the National Anthem. I know this has nothing to do with which horse will win the race, but it's worth mentioning because his singing clearly cures bad days. :)

pollyanna

It's rained here in Louisville off and on all week, including today, but at last the sun is out, although it's still unseasonably chilly. The track is muddy and sloppy - some horses like it this way, some don't.

Dunno why, but I like Irish War Cry; I'm also hearing a lot about McCracken. Like sk8pics, I'm hoping for another Triple Crown Winner.

sk8pics

Thunder Gulch walked back to the barn under his own power and does not seem to have been injured. Either he freaked out over the mud or something, or he was just in a mood. It's a shame, but at least he is all right and did not injure anyone. Speaking of which, poor Classic Empire really got slammed around at the start. (I think it was Classic Empire, it was #15.)

Vagabond

It was Classic Empire. He also got carried wide by a wall of three horses as he was making his move in the stretch. He has had a life full of incident. :gallopin1

aftershocks

Banned Member
Congrats to Always Dreaming! I hope that Classic Empire will rebound unscathed and make a run for the Preakness with a better release out of the gate.

No Johnny and Tara at the Derby this year:
https://www.bustle.com/p/why-werent...-event-wasnt-the-same-without-this-pair-56186

Thanks for starting this thread @skipaway.

Here's a throwback oldie story on the ambience surrounding the Kentucky Derby from Hunter S. Thompson:
http://grantland.com/features/looking-back-hunter-s-thompson-classic-story-kentucky-derby/

sk8pics

Steve Haskin wrote a piece for the Bloodhorse (t's on line) about Patch, and said his Belmont showed he does have real talent, not just a sweet story. I would love to see him win a major stakes.

sk8pics

Just heard that Songbird is going to race in the Delaware Handicap on July 15! I will be there. Can't wait to see her. A few years ago, Blind Luck and Havre de Grace raced against each other here, and it was super exciting. Nice small paddock area so it's easy to get a good look!

skipaway

Interesting that Songbird is staying on the East Coast. Hollendorfer is based mainly on the west coast. Del Mar is hosting the BC this year. I wonder if she'll race at Saratoga or come back to train and race at Del Mar.

Last edited:

sk8pics

Songbird's owner, I forget his name, lives around here. His health is still not good, so this way he may get to see her run. And we get to watch a champion.

skipaway

Breeders Cup weekend starts Friday with 4 races including the Dirt Mile and Distaff. Nice that they finally changed the name back from Ladies Classic.

sk8pics

Watching all the races today! I enjoy seeing Jay Privman in the broadcast. I met him once at Old Friends. I was on my way back down the hill after seeing Tinner, and he was on the way up to see him. In the Old Friends magazine for the past 4 or 5 years, I would write about Tinner, and Jay had also written. He was a Sham fan as a teenager, and so disgruntled about Secretariat. Later, he regretted it, so he would always go see Tinner as a continuing apology to Secretariat.

skipaway

Lots of long shot winners so far today. Had no idea who Caledonia Road was and I always liked Stormy Liberal but not enough to think he had a chance.

skipaway

Beautiful run by GunRunner pressured all the way by Collected. Definitely horse of the year for 2017. 50/50 chance of running next year and starting in the Pegasus 12 million dollar race in Florida.

Chad Brown said Lady Eli was cut on her leg and lost a shoe on the backstretch of the Filly and Mare Turf thus explaining her poor showing.

World Approval and maybe Gun Runner (both he and Arrogate were at 2 to 1)were the only favorites in today’s races that won

sk8pics

Very impressed by Gun Runner, and how he hung in there after such a fast opening quarter mile. Sad for Arrogate. I really wonder what happened to him after his 7-race win streak.

Lady Eli was quite cut up. I saw an ugly picture of the laceration.

I was thinking, with so many favorites not running their best, this is why I love Zenyatta so much. She showed up every single time. Even the one race she lost, arguably the best race she ran.

sk8pics

I am going to meet Dortmund tomorrow. The farm he will be standing at Stud at is about 40 minutes from my house. The manager seems very nice. Told me Dortmund likes carrots. :lol: So I have a pound to take with me.

skipaway

Are you going to Bonita Farm? Did you ever see the Animal Planet documentary series about Bonita Farm called Thoroughbred? My mother and I still speak about it. I think it was in the early 2000’s.

sk8pics

Yes, Bonita Farm. No, I never saw that! Maybe I will ask them about it. I’m looking forward to it. I refreshed my memory about Dortmund’s accomplishments last night so I can be appropriately appreciative.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information