Vaytsekhovskaya's interview with Sotnikova

hanca

Values her privacy
A great interview. She’s gone through so much in such a short life!

I also smiled about the junior/senior comments, thinking that she was seeing it differently from this point of view.

Did anyone else’s eyes pop at the mention that she’s had offers to compete for Georgia and Italy (!). Georgia would make a bit of sense, but Italy?
Italy had several Russian skaters in the past. I don’t think all of them had connection to Italy although some did. Rigini, Gosviani...

Tinami Amori

Did anyone else’s eyes pop at the mention that she’s had offers to compete for Georgia and Italy (!). Georgia would make a bit of sense, but Italy?
My impression is that she just listed some countries which have accepted Russian skaters in the past, nothing specific. And in the context of this interview, the word "offers" also could mean "suggestions", if a Russian coach, friend, a person "suggests" a change. The original word is "предложение" - used both, as "offer" and "suggestion".
"It's something anyone can do. Italy or Georgia or some other countries. I had such an offers."

Mad for Skating

Italy had several Russian skaters in the past. I don’t think all of them had connection to Italy although some did. Rigini, Gosviani...

Righini was half Italian and half Russian if I remember right, Righini was his mother's name and his father's name was Bariev? (I only know about him because he dated Stolbova lol). Don't know about Gosviani.

hanca

Values her privacy
Righini was half Italian and half Russian if I remember right, Righini was his mother's name and his father's name was Bariev? (I only know about him because he dated Stolbova lol). Don't know about Gosviani.
Gosviani did not have any connection except of Italian boyfriend, but at the time she was switching they were not even married. I don’t think having a foreign boyfriend is a strong enough connection for representing that country.

Mad for Skating

Gosviani did not have any connection except of Italian boyfriend, but at the time she was switching they were not even married. I don’t think having a foreign boyfriend is a strong enough connection for representing that country.

I see! But with the field in Russia, I understand why she switched.

hanca

Values her privacy
I see! But with the field in Russia, I understand why she switched.
Oh, I definitely understand why she switched. What it seems is that Russia doesn’t mind releasing skaters to Italy (I am pretty sure there were others but these two just came to my mind) and Italy doesn’t mind accepting skaters from abroad.

worldsnice12

Thank you so much for the translation @TAHbKA
I got very emotional reading this interview.
Adelina will always hold a special place in my skating heart and I hope her body will finally hold up so she can skate up to whatever level she is aiming for.
Of course, it would be extremely tough to get back onto the Nationals Team but she has that "something" presentation wise which I often miss from the other Russian talents. I remember seeing a great SP from her a few years ago where you could really tell the maturity she had gained since winning the Olympics (I think it was in a Challenger competition).

Mad for Skating

Thank you so much for the translation @TAHbKA
I got very emotional reading this interview.
Adelina will always hold a special place in my skating heart and I hope her body will finally hold up so she can skate up to whatever level she is aiming for.
Of course, it would be extremely tough to get back onto the Nationals Team but she has that "something" presentation wise which I often miss from the other Russian talents. I remember seeing a great SP from her a few years ago where you could really tell the maturity she had gained since winning the Olympics (I think it was in a Challenger competition).

Yes! There's this drama, heart, and expression that you just don't get from Alina or Trusova or even Evgenia. I still remember crying at her Je Suis Malade at 2015 COR and not understanding why. For me Sotnikova, Radionova, and Pogorilaya will always be my three faves.

Tinami Amori

Yes! There's this drama, heart, and expression that you just don't get from Alina or Trusova or even Evgenia. I still remember crying at her Je Suis Malade at 2015 COR and not understanding why. For me Sotnikova, Radionova, and Pogorilaya will always be my three faves.
.. excuse me, but please don't speak for others what "they don't get"... if you don't get, that's fine. I get plenty of drama, heart, expression and a lot more from Alina, Trusova, Evgenia..... :D

.. amazing how people suddenly see positive qualities in skaters who are no longer a threat to their favorites or skaters from their countries. Suddenly evil over-scored Sotnikova "who stole the Gold while skating like a truck driver" is a the model of drama, heart and expression...... :D .... and the next group of Russian medal winners are "evil over-scored ungraceful truck drivers".... :lol:

Last edited:

Mad for Skating

.. excuse me, but please don't speak for others what "they don't get"... if you don't get, that's fine. I get plenty of drama, heart, expression and a lot more from Alina, Trusova, Evgenia..... :D

.. amazing how people suddenly see positive qualities in skaters who are no longer a threat to their favorites or skaters from their countries. Suddenly evil over-scored Sotnikova "who stole the Gold while skating like a truck driver" is a the model of drama, heart and expression...... :D .... and the next group of Russian medal winners are "evil over-scored ungraceful truck drivers".... :lol:

Well speaking for myself, I prefer Adelina. I never thought she "skated like a truck driver" or even "stole" any gold medal. She did what she could and the judges overscored her. In 2014 she still lacked some of the expression, but I think it developed over time. Same thing happened to Bradie Tennell this year imo or Tarasova/Morozov and their Candyman program.
I'm not here to yuck anyone's yum. Alina, Trusova, and Evgenia are all very talented girls.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information