Living the PyeongChang Dream: Korean skaters strive toward 2018

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
The document doesn't say. It assumes 10 teams will qualify and agree to skate.

Of the top 8, Japan might be vulnerable under normal circumstances, but they should be able to qualify their Dance team, with a good shot at qualifying their Pair. Germany should qualify Pairs, Ladies, and Men under normal circumstances, and maybe Dance, if Shpilband has some politik left.

Based on @skatingguy 's calculations after Euros/Four C's, below Top 8 we've got
  • South Korea, with a good chance to qualify at least three, even if from the Nebelhorn wait list, given the inevitable citizenship issues.
  • Israel: unlikely to qualify Ladies and Pairs. There are two Dance teams with the assumed minimums, if T/T qualify the spot, but he doesn't have a third grandmother for citizenship.
  • Spain: unlikely to qualify Ladies and Pairs. Plus Dance is a big question.
  • Belgium: no Pairs or Dance.
  • Australia: Great young Pair who can qualify the disciple for the TE, and then two Australian citizens with the minimums can compete; Stephens and Dodds need the SP minim, if the minimums don't change for next season.
  • Czech Republic has a shot if the can qualify Dance and Kuzmichova or Mansour has dual citizenship in time. Ladies are not looking good to qualify.
  • Great Britain: not likely to qualify more than two, if lucky.
If you think I've dismissed a country unfairly, please let me know.

https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/in...s-pairs-dance-team-event.100715/#post-5016323

Sylvia

TBD
Misha Ge is choreographing/working with skaters in Korea this week, according to his Instagram - here is a clip of him demonstrating in a skating skills class/stroking exercise, followed by 2017 Korean national ladies champ Eunsoo Lim doing the same: https://www.instagram.com/p/BTqkEzPBtgi/?taken-by=mishage8&hl=en

Misha with former female singles competitor and current choreographer Min-jeong KWAK (eta: the male is Min Seok KIM who used to compete with Ge): https://www.instagram.com/p/BTlRI4PhNHa/?taken-by=mishage8&hl=en

So Hyun AN, age 15 (the music in this clip is from the Romeo & Juliet 2013 film soundtrack by Abel Korzeniowski): https://www.instagram.com/p/BTpsMoKBxQv/?taken-by=mishage8&hl=en
ETA: Misha's caption reads that it was "a pleasure to work on details" - not clear if he actually choreographed the program from scratch (he usually specifies or uses the hashtag #ChoreoOnDuty if he has).
AN's ISU bio (she placed 7th in Senior at 2017 Nationals): http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00054722.htm

https://www.instagram.com/p/BTngWyHBkvm/?taken-by=mishage8&hl=en
"Asian Princess FP for Seung-Been Yu" #Mulan #JrSr #TeamKorea
YU won the silver medal in Adv. Novice Ladies at NRW Trophy in Dortmund, Germany in December 2016.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
A new Senior pair team is listed for Quebec Summer Championships in Pierrefonds -- Sarah Jane Dana (Korean-born American? she used to skate singles in the NY/NJ area) and David-Alexandre Paradis, training in the Gauthier group.

sammyf

A new Senior pair team is listed for Quebec Summer Championships in Pierrefonds -- Sarah Jane Dana (Korean-born American? she used to skate singles in the NY/NJ area) and David-Alexandre Paradis, training in the Gauthier group.

They are not new, they scored 109.18 at the Korean selection competition last fall.

Sylvia

TBD
They are not new, they scored 109.18 at the Korean selection competition last fall.
Thanks! I never saw those results. :p They didn't compete at Nationals in January. I believe Themi Leftheris and his partner Minji Ji are no more but haven't come across official confirmation yet.

ETA - found the October 2016 Korean ranking competition Senior Pairs results and video links over at GS: http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sh...mp-Oct-14-16&p=1509032&viewfull=1#post1509032

Last edited:
J

Jeschke

Do we have updates on Park?
How is she doing? Back in practice?

#teampark

seabm7

Dobre

Selection for what?
International assignments?

It is the first of a series of competitions throughout the year being used to select the Korean Olympic team. And is being used to select the junior athletes to compete on the JGP. (I would assume it will influence senior assignments as well). Essentially all the top Korean senior & junior athletes are scheduled to be there. But unlike at Korean Nationals, the athletes competing on the JGP will not be competing head-to-head with those competing to qualify for the Olympics. (There are 19 junior ladies scheduled to compete and 14 senior ladies).

Last edited:
J

Jeschke

It is the first of a series of competitions throughout the year being used to select the Korean Olympic team.

Thanks for clarification. So how does the selection process work? Do we have any criteria?
#teampark

seabm7

Thanks for clarification. So how does the selection process work? Do we have any criteria?
#teampark

Usually, the Korean senior envelop has been determined by the sum of two competition results, the Ranking Competition in late fall and the National in January.

This year, they added one more senior competition at the end of July. This works as part of the senior envelop criteria. This works as part of the Olympics ticket criteria. It also determines the Nebelhorn (aka Olympics ticket competition) entry.

The Olympic selection will be determined by the sum of these three results.

Last edited:
J

Jeschke

Usually, the Korean senior envelop has been determined by the sum of two competition results, the Ranking Competition in late fall and the National in January.

This year, they added one more senior competition at the end of July. This works as part of the senior envelop criteria. It also determines the Nebelhorn (aka Olympics ticket competition) entry.

The Olympic selection will be determined by the sum of these three results.
Thanks for clarification :respec:

So 3 domnestic events decide the olympic spot(s)? Hm. I am not too happy about that, as a lot of 'fixing' can be done in those events. If they'd have an international judging panel I would be more pleased, but I doubt it.
I would like to see that the Korean Fed takes some international scores into account.

So in theory you could be GPF winner and still be left off the team because you ****ed up the 3 domnestic events? (we know that in that scenario there would be some special rule).

So what happens if someone is sick or injured in July? I can't see Park being comeptitive that soon after her injury.

Sorry for asking again, will the points just be summed up of those 3 events, or does have nationals more weight of than the others?

Either way, kick ass Park :encore:

seabm7

Thanks for clarification :respec:
So in theory you could be GPF winner and still be left off the team because you ****ed up the 3 domnestic events? (we know that in that scenario there would be some special rule).
Yes.

So what happens if someone is sick or injured in July? I can't see Park being comeptitive that soon after her injury.
Unfortunate.

Sorry for asking again, will the points just be summed up of those 3 events, or does have nationals more weight of than the others?
Simple sum of these 3 events.

Note 1) The World entry will be solely determined by the National. The sum of 3 events method only applies for the Olympics game.

Note 2) For dance/pair, it's only two events. The July event and the National.

Note 3) I just realized the Korean Federation hasn't published the selection rule for the 2018-19 senior envelop yet.

seabm7

kwanatic

Technically, they are not Olympic eligible:

Lim Eun-soo

SP: Rich Man's Frug from Sweet Charity OST
FS: Grand Guignol by Bajofondo Tango Club / Oblivion by Piazzolla

I SO wish Eunsoo was eligible. I guess it's good she gets more time to develop though. I'm crossing my fingers hard for her. I've said that girls have reminded me of Yuna in the past but Eunsoo REALLY reminds me of Yuna. She has that presence and sparkle that Yuna had and it comes across when she performs. Additionally, Eunsoo is a solid competitor. Her jumps are lovely and she really brings the drama/fun/sass/you name it when she performs and I love that.

I'm looking forward to seeing more from her.

Right now Dabin Choi is looking like the go-to for Korea this year. It was nice to see her finally get her consistency together. She had some great skates last year from a technical standpoint. Now she needs to kick it up a gear and really perform her programs and draw in the judges. I'm rooting for her!

Seerek

If Da-bin just slightly back-loads her long program a little bit more, she'd probably have the highest base value of all the senior ladies outside of Zagitova. Final Group in Pyeongchang just might happen.

Dobre

If Da-bin just slightly back-loads her long program a little bit more, she'd probably have the highest base value of all the senior ladies outside of Zagitova.

EDIT: ROTFL. I read your post & thought you said Medvedeva rather than Zagitova so scratch what I said earlier. In any case, some senior ladies base values to beat:

World Team Trophy:
1. Higuchi 96.69
2. Mihara 96.48
3. Medvedeva 95.43

Last edited:

Seerek

2 berths already earned for Pyeongchang thanks to Da-bin, so no Nebelhorn needed.

We'd have to dig up the Olympic Team Event qualification thread to understand what happens with home country berths should June hyoung not qualify a berth in men's singles.

J

Jeschke

2 berths already earned for Pyeongchang thanks to Da-bin, so no Nebelhorn needed.
Yeah I know but Park finished 4th last year so the South Korean Fed could send a lady for the (normal) comeptition - and as they have sent so many ladies last season to many competitions, I wondered who gets the Nebelhorn spot.

all_empty

Videos from the Nebelhorn selection event are up on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCngBwf3yHJYVEJZZ9aypTmQ/videos

I can't read Korean but I assume Hanul Kim won with two clean programs that included 3-3 combinations. She's small and compact which can affect her line but she has some personality on the ice.

Dabin Choi also skated pretty cleanly with no 3-3. She really needs to add some expression.

The rest of the field did not have a good competition. SoYun Park seems to have lost the 3Lz (she landed a clean 3F -- her nemesis jump -- in the short, and landed one of two in the free).

Nahyun Kim still appears injured and made many many mistakes in the free. She has the best full body movement and some expression, but the jumps weren't there sadly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information